Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Mudguards for a road bike?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-18, 05:41 AM
bungle73

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post

Hi. Has anyone here got any better suggestions for mudguards, other than the SKS Raceblade Pro XLs, that would fit on a road bike (which is supposed to accommodate them up to 28 mm tyres which is a lie) with 28 mm tyres? I'm currently running the Crud Roadracer Mk3s, but I am finding it impossible to permanently stop them from rubbing, even though I ran them through the winter last year. I would have gone with the Raceblades in the first place, but they don't cover the front of the rear tyre, where as the Roadracers do,and I thought they would be better. The Raceblades were recommended by a guy whose channel I subscribe to on YouTube
Old 12-24-18, 12:11 PM
JohnJ80

Bikes: N+1=5

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 875 Post(s)
Liked 244 Times in 181 Posts
I have a set of these I'm going to try.

https://www.crudproducts.com/roadracer-mk3/

j
Old 12-25-18, 02:05 PM
rivers

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked 137 Times in 79 Posts
Originally Posted by bungle73
Hi. Has anyone here got any better suggestions for mudguards, other than the SKS Raceblade Pro XLs, that would fit on a road bike (which is supposed to accommodate them up to 28 mm tyres which is a lie) with 28 mm tyres? I'm currently running the Crud Roadracer Mk3s, but I am finding it impossible to permanently stop them from rubbing, even though I ran them through the winter last year. I would have gone with the Raceblades in the first place, but they don't cover the front of the rear tyre, where as the Roadracers do,and I thought they would be better. The Raceblades were recommended by a guy whose channel I subscribe to on YouTube
are you sure you have the pro xls and not the normal raceblade pros? I have 35mm tyres with raceblade pro xls and they fit without issue.
Old 12-29-18, 11:51 AM
colnago62

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 741 Post(s)
Liked 412 Times in 230 Posts
I live in Seattle, Washington which stays wet for several months out of the year. I have always used a rain bike. I find a frame that accommodates full fenders, put used parts on it and call it good. Race frames just are not designed for fender use anymore.
Old 12-29-18, 05:36 PM
bungle73

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by colnago62
I live in Seattle, Washington which stays wet for several months out of the year. I have always used a rain bike. I find a frame that accommodates full fenders, put used parts on it and call it good. Race frames just are not designed for fender use anymore.
It's not a race frame, it's an endurance frame. A frame that supposedly is supposed to accommodate mudguards with up to 28 mm tyres. It even has eyelets, which turned out to be pointless because when I tried suitable mudguards they didn't fit, hence ending up with the Cruds, which worked ok last winter, but in the meantime I've changed wheelsets, and now (apparently) they don't.

I've been looking at the SKS Raceblade Longs, which provide more coverage than the other ones, but are only sold to fit up to 25 mm tyres. I'm wondering if I could squeeze them onto my 28s? I've just watched a YT video where some guy had them on his bike with 28s. It was tight on his bike under the rear brake though, but I'm pretty sure I have more clearance, and my 4 Seasons run small.

The other option is to buy smaller (25s) tyres, but that is by far the most expensive.
Old 12-29-18, 07:51 PM
delbiker1 
Mother Nature's Son

Bikes: 2014 Orbea Avant MD30, 2004 Airborne Zeppelin TI, 2003 Lemond Poprad, 2001 Lemond Tourmalet, 2014? Soma Smoothie

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 852 Post(s)
Liked 1,433 Times in 815 Posts
Fenders

I have SKS Urban 42s on a Schwinn SS DBX with 37mm Continental tires. They cover the tires very well but they the rear does not have much coverage on the front of the wheel. I am I mounted a on the back of the seat tube for more protection there. I am also going to fabricate wider mud flaps to hang off the back of both fenders. That is from suggestions from BF members. From reviews I have read and what others have told me. having to modify how the fenders are mounted is pretty normal. I had to use some zip ties and it took a couple of do-overs to get them mounted in a way to get the best protection from with no rubbing.
Old 12-30-18, 08:18 AM
bungle73

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
I've been at it for the past 1 or 2 weeks. Every time I think it's sorted, they start rubbing again later. I think the wheels have made the tyres too big somehow, because they are the same tyres I had on last year.

I don't think ones that run under the rear brake bridge and fork are going to fit. That's why I sent back the previous mudguards I ordered and went with the cruds, which don't need so much space.

I'm thinking of ordering the Raceblade Longs, seeing if they will fit, and just sending them back if it turns out if they don't.
Old 03-30-19, 07:31 AM
bungle73

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
I ended up buying the SKS Raceblade Pro XLs. They're a hell of a lot easier to adjust, put on, and take off, than the Cruds. The only down side is that they don't protect the bike from mess as well.
Old 04-01-19, 03:50 PM
63rickert

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 1090 Post(s)
Liked 329 Times in 245 Posts
Let whoever made the bike and whoever sold you the bike know what you think, loud and clear. At one time all bikes had clearance. Pro racers mounted fenders on last seasons bike for winter training. Clearance disappeared by popular demand. When 700x19 and 700x18 tires came out no shop and no distributor could get enough of them. People did loaded touring on 700x18. Next up the clearances got tight and the public loved it. Made the bikes look fast.

The manufacturers know perfectly well how to build with clearance. They think you won't buy the bike if they give it to you. No one wants to build a bike that only retrogrouches want. Retrogrouches only buy used bikes anyway. Please show your young face to the people marketing bikes.

Metal fenders are best for modification. It is a lot of work getting a metal fender on a bike that doesn't want fenders. Repeat, a lot of work. At points where you cut the fender to make it fit be aware that aluminum will crack and you want some added reinforcement. You do want to keep cutting until the metal fits smooth. Stressed fenders crack for sure so don't force fit.
Old 04-07-19, 04:17 AM
bungle73

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
The company, in their previous guise, went bust.
Old 04-07-19, 12:53 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
PDW Full metal fender.. here we just have a rain bike and one without mudguards..
Old 04-07-19, 01:32 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4792 Post(s)
Liked 3,918 Times in 2,548 Posts
Is there a reason you cannot use regular full length SKS fenders, cut them at the rear brake bridge and fork and use River City Reacharound Brake Brackets?

https://store.rivercitybicycles.com/...09?startrow=31

I haven't used them but have made my own similar brackets for two bikes, the first an early '80s steel race bike that was very tight. On that bike I used Planet Bike hybrid fenders and ran the rear over the brake bridge. Front with the bracket. Took some whittling to get the rear past the seatstays and at the chainstays. I think I also cut a long oval in the rear fender at the seatube and a little more at the front derailleur clamp. Bike was that tight.

My super road fix gear with its nearly 2' road style dropout got the reacharound treatment (again, my own, this time with sturdy flatbar). I cut the sides of the fender in two places before and after teh high point, stretched the fender out to make it that 2" longer, applied fiberglass and epoxy on the inside at the cuts. End result: a stiff, sturdy fender that handles any cog from 12 to 24 teeth without messing with the fender and comes on and off quickly. Also is a joy to ride in the rain.

If you go with SKS, be careful at your cuts. It will crack if it is stressed at the cut and you have left a sharp corner. The Planet bike fenders can be carved with a sharp trim knife easily and is quite resistant to cracking as long as you leave enough material. Stiffness so they are quiet on rough roads can be a challenge.

Ben
Old 04-11-19, 08:32 AM
bungle73

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by 79pmooney
Is there a reason you cannot use regular full length SKS fenders, cut them at the rear brake bridge and fork and use River City Reacharound Brake Brackets?

https://store.rivercitybicycles.com/...09?startrow=31

I haven't used them but have made my own similar brackets for two bikes, the first an early '80s steel race bike that was very tight. On that bike I used Planet Bike hybrid fenders and ran the rear over the brake bridge. Front with the bracket. Took some whittling to get the rear past the seatstays and at the chainstays. I think I also cut a long oval in the rear fender at the seatube and a little more at the front derailleur clamp. Bike was that tight.

My super road fix gear with its nearly 2' road style dropout got the reacharound treatment (again, my own, this time with sturdy flatbar). I cut the sides of the fender in two places before and after teh high point, stretched the fender out to make it that 2" longer, applied fiberglass and epoxy on the inside at the cuts. End result: a stiff, sturdy fender that handles any cog from 12 to 24 teeth without messing with the fender and comes on and off quickly. Also is a joy to ride in the rain.

If you go with SKS, be careful at your cuts. It will crack if it is stressed at the cut and you have left a sharp corner. The Planet bike fenders can be carved with a sharp trim knife easily and is quite resistant to cracking as long as you leave enough material. Stiffness so they are quiet on rough roads can be a challenge.

Ben
What's the advantage of that over what I've already bought?
Old 04-11-19, 08:37 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5223 Post(s)
Liked 3,579 Times in 2,341 Posts
Old 04-11-19, 11:33 AM
redlude97

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 1975 Post(s)
Liked 232 Times in 173 Posts
I ended up buying the SKS Raceblade Pro XLs. They're a hell of a lot easier to adjust, put on, and take off, than the Cruds. The only down side is that they don't protect the bike from mess as well.
I think you answered your own question
Old 04-11-19, 12:48 PM
Aubergine 
Bad example

Bikes: Peugeot: AO-8 1973, PA-10 1971, PR-10 1973, Sante 1988; Masi Gran Criterium 1975, Stevenson Tourer 1980, Stevenson Criterium 1981, Schwinn Paramount 1972, Rodriguez 2006, Gitane Federal ~1975, Holdsworth Pro, Follis 172 ~1973, Bianchi '62

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 820 Post(s)
Liked 185 Times in 87 Posts
I have a Centurion Le Mans RS that had a similar problem with fit, and made my own version of the Reacharound. It works very well.
Old 04-12-19, 03:54 AM
bungle73

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Ah, I see. But I've bought what I've bought now.. And that would mean sending off for something from abroad (the item isn't there btw).
Old 04-13-19, 03:43 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4792 Post(s)
Liked 3,918 Times in 2,548 Posts
Full length fenders keep your bike and drivetrain far clearer and deep front flaps can be put on that keep your feet far dryer and cleaner (traffic permitting).
Old 04-15-19, 02:12 AM
bungle73

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by 79pmooney
Full length fenders keep your bike and drivetrain far clearer and deep front flaps can be put on that keep your feet far dryer and cleaner (traffic permitting).
The ones I have are pretty long long though, and have mud flaps. They just don't cover the read of the seat tube, and front of the fork. And I like how easy it is to take them and and off.
Old 04-15-19, 09:33 AM
kingston 
Jedi Master

Bikes: https://stinkston.blogspot.com/p/my-bikes.html

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1759 Post(s)
Liked 488 Times in 313 Posts
I installed a set of these 35mm Sronglight R'Lights over the weekend on my one of my road bikes. They seem pretty sweet. I also have a set of the Raceblade Pro XL's which are nice because you can take them off when you don't need them.
Old 04-15-19, 01:22 PM
redlude97

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 1975 Post(s)
Liked 232 Times in 173 Posts
The ones I have are pretty long long though, and have mud flaps. They just don't cover the read of the seat tube, and front of the fork. And I like how easy it is to take them and and off.
this is where all the wheel spray ends up in your chain/drivetrain and where the front tire spray gets your face
Old 04-16-19, 08:45 AM
colnago62

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 741 Post(s)
Liked 412 Times in 230 Posts
Full fenders is the main reason I bought a disc bike.