Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

Has A&S Changed Your Behavior?

Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

Has A&S Changed Your Behavior?

Old 01-27-19, 07:31 PM
mcours2006

Bikes: ...a few.

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2010 Post(s)
Liked 408 Times in 234 Posts
Originally Posted by Jim from Boston
Yet I have not found such items promoted, or even available at bicycle shops. Back in the 70’s, this clumsy strap-on was state-of-the art, less cumbersome on the arm than on the ankle:

As @Maelochs speculated, In my aforementioned sought-after post, I wrote about my attempt to improvise one, but the taillight fell off.
I have tried various contraptions, including velcro strips, old iPod arm strap, clipping onto neoprene shoe covers, and currently, shoe laces wound onto a rear light. That seems to be a good enough and simple idea for the ankle light.

I am curious why you use a white light for the rear. Do you think that works better than a solid red one? And is a white light for the rear even legal?
Old 01-27-19, 07:56 PM
Jim from Boston

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
Originally Posted by mcours2006
I have tried various contraptions, including velcro strips, old iPod arm strap, clipping onto neoprene shoe covers, and currently, shoe laces wound onto a rear light. That seems to be a good enough and simple idea for the ankle light.

I am curious why you use a white light for the rear. Do you think that works better than a solid red one? And is a white light for the rear even legal?
At that time, I already had the two small clip-on lights. I used the red light as a proper, rotating taillight on the left that would be seen by the following motorist. I didn’t think about the color white, but I was using it on the right more for side visualization for cross street traffic intersecting my route
Originally Posted by Leisesturm
how many times over the last year have you arrived (safely of course) home to discover your taillight is missing? Come on, I know it's happened to someone at least once in one whole year.

I know mine has the nasty habit of going dead if I hit a hard enough bump on the ride. Easy to do at night.

Thanks to you lot I can't convince my wife that we will not be killed instantly unless we always have a blinker flashing when riding at night. My fault for buying one in the first place*, but it's y'all's fault for making her think it makes any real difference....

*sadly they are required equipment but easy to lose ...
BTW, I routinely use two red taillights, one flashing on my helmet, the other steady on my rear bag in case one goes out. So two rotating taillights on my ankles is also redundant.

I secure those two stationary taillights with a rubber band wrapped around the end of the clip below the loop on the gear to which the light is clipped.

Last edited by Jim from Boston; 01-27-19 at 08:10 PM.
Old 01-28-19, 12:07 AM
Jim from Boston

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
Originally Posted by MoAlpha
As you know that when there is a major loss at sea, there is a report by a panel of recognized experts and sometimes a published court proceeding…

Compare that to the situation with cycling: No expert analysis after disasters, no accepted experts, no consensus, no doctrine, lots of noise. With about 50 years and 200,000 miles on the roads, I have had to learn or guess what’s safe for me, and a forum like this isn’t going to change my mind on anything.

Incidentally, thank you for your service and cheers to all the brave men and women of the USCG.
Originally Posted by Paul Barnard
That's a great post. Of course there are bicycling safety books, but you are right, there's not very much in the form of widely accepted and taught bicycling safety doctrine. You have an incredible amount of experience, and I wouldn't expect the forum to influence your behavior much. …

There are also folks who may have a lot of experience in one kind of riding, but not another. I am one of those.

I have logged quite a few miles on rural backroads and can probably provide some words of wisdom for those that haven't. I have never commuted in heavy traffic, so if I decided to do it, I'd consider myself a beginner and happily tap into the knowledge of others here.
Originally Posted by MoAlpha
Thanks, that’s flattering, and I think I overestimated my lifetime miles by a factor of 2, which is what comes of posting after “dinner.”

Be that as it may, I don’t offer advice here because I have only my own experience and hunches to base it on and anything I say is sure to conflict someone else’s strongly held and equally worthless opinions.

Moreover, what I do myself may not work for everyone. …Moreover, what if someone were to adopt it on my sayso in the absence of supporting expert opinion or “clinical” data and get smooshed?
Originally Posted by Paul Barnard
We are on the same wavelength. I will rarely ever give advice as it relates to bicycling safety.

I do unhesitatingly encourage people who are new to riding on the road to read this: https://hooleking.com/practice-areas...-while-biking/ and for those who may want a bit more in depth reading, this: https://www.amazon.com/Art-Urban-Cyc.../dp/0762727837

Beyond that I will share my thoughts and experiences an if someone wants to borrow from them, they can. And that is where forums can have great instructional value...
Not to glom on to this Mutual Admiration Society, but I have posted about giving advice, above:
Frankly, I have posted that I would not be inclined to encourage, unless by example (nor discourage) someone to cycle-commute, but if they so chose, I would freely and gladly give any advice...

Public exhortations to cycle-commute, or utility cycle are well and good with no individual responsibility for bad outcomes, but I would not want the recriminations of a personal endorsement if something bad happened

FWW, I’m not advocatin’ against, just sayin’
and previously, on a now closed thread:
I think I have absorbed all the good advice I can for a complete and agreeable cycling lifestyle, and recently I have clicked on many fewer threads than before.

In the past I have offered IMO several useful suggestions about cycling, particularly for winter and urban cycling, to multiple repetitive threads. They are usually lost in the morass of often scores of replies, both in agreement and dispute with mine.

I’m not especially motivated to read or write about rides in areas I will never visit, or bikes I would not buy.
Other cyclists’ biking stories are often meaningful to me, but usually not consequential enough for a reply.

Frankly, now my main enjoyment is reading the personal clashes on the various threads, such as these current ones: "I work with a moron", or ”How often do you check your mirror?.
Old 01-28-19, 01:31 AM
Chris0516

Bikes: 2003 (24)20-Speed Specialized Allez'

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 396 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
It further reminds me. Be a 'pain in the caboose'. So traffic see's me.
Old 01-28-19, 12:00 PM
CB HI
Cycle Year Round

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1316 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 59 Posts
Paul - on a side note, one thing to remember is that your classes will not be attended by disciplined Coast Guard personnel or fisherman attending because they need to for retaining their jobs. As such, the civilians attending your boating safety class will almost always have one person looking to prove they are the smartest person in the room or one who would rather lead the class offtrack because they really have little interest in learning. Be careful not to let them ruin the class for the people there that really want to learn.

It is very much like the folks in BFs and this thread. most are here to learn something new, but there are a few here to prove they are the smartest person in BFs or one who would rather lead the thread offtrack because they really have little interest in learning.
Old 01-28-19, 12:42 PM
TricycleTom

Bikes: Jeunet 12, Car-Cycle X-4, Aerovironment Charger

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 11 Posts
What is A & S?? I am shopping for a bright yellow windbreaker. I have a fluorescent vest that I wear if I will be hard to see, but one day, a trucker stopped to offer me one on a fine day. He'd obviously seen me from far off. In general, I use my mirror and assume I am invisible. 100,000 km unhit so far.
Old 01-28-19, 12:57 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18397 Post(s)
Liked 15,485 Times in 7,316 Posts
Originally Posted by mr_bill

Florescent, Hi-Vis, High-Vis, Neon, Day-Glo. All words for the same thing.

On the top or left, picture of my pearl izumi next to a white cotton t shirt illuminated by a city street lamp.
It's not bright yellow, hurt-your eyes yellow, nor YELLOW!!! yellow.
It’s mellow yellow.

On the bottom or right, picture under sun lamps. Bright yellow, hurt-your eyes yellow, YELLOW!!! yellow.

“Thus, cyclists who habitually wear fluorescent – as opposed to reflective – materials may considerably overestimate their visibility at night. This may result in cyclists unintentionally placing themselves at elevated risk.”

-mr. bill
As someone who lives in a highly populated city with lots of street lights and lots of night riders, I can confirm this difference.
Old 01-28-19, 01:20 PM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7648 Post(s)
Liked 3,465 Times in 1,831 Posts
Whatever. I don't even wear hi-vis except when it rains or is very cold ... So whatever someone else said ... great.

A guy I sometimes ride with passed me while he was driving home and said my vest was bright. Anyone care to argue ... too bad. I was there, it happened.
Old 01-28-19, 01:45 PM
JoeyBike
20+mph Commuter

Bikes: Surly LHT, Surly Lowside, a folding bike, and a beater.

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1430 Post(s)
Liked 330 Times in 218 Posts
Bright lights day and night. Preferably flashing. Everything else is extra.

You can't be TOO SEEN.

Cops, ambulances, fire trucks, tow trucks, power company trucks, dog catchers, all use flashing lights of various colors. For a reason. They also wear day-glow vests/suits with reflective bits. Yet, somehow, they still get clobbered occasionally. It's the best we can do. Even hunters who prefer to not be shot by other hunters wear bright colors with contrast to their environment.

Playing in traffic without a care in the world for being seen by traffic seems self-defeating to me.
Old 01-28-19, 02:06 PM
Miele Man

Bikes: iele Latina, Miele Suprema, Miele Uno LS, Miele Miele Beta, MMTB, Bianchi Model Unknown, Fiori Venezia, Fiori Napoli, VeloSport Adamas AX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1324 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 640 Posts
Originally Posted by Milton Keynes
I tell you what, I get so used to using my mirror that once I was walking my kids to the park, and before crossing the street I looked up and to the left to see if there was anyone behind us. Took me half a second to remember that we were on foot and I didn't have my helmet with mirror on.

But a mirror is something I had to have. I have a hard time hearing vehicles coming up behind me, so a mirror is a must. Plus it's a lot easier to move my eyes up than turn my head completely around to see if anyone's behind me before making a left turn. Once you get used to using a mirror you'll feel lost without one.
An interesting thing about bicycles and mirrors is that a bicycle is the ONLY vehicle allowed without having a mirror, on the road. Mirrors are a large part of what makes a motorcycle road legal here.

What I like about a helmet or eyeglass mounted mirror isthat you can see what's behind you as well as what's in front of you because you don't have to take your eye off the road to look into the mirror. I tried bar end mirrors on my road bike but found that most of the time my forearm blocked the mirror from my sight. Another advantage of a helmet or eyeglass mounted mirror is that you can scan with it by moving your head a bit. That comes in handing on long turns where a handelbar mirror gives a nice view of the fields or whatever to the side but little of what's actually right behind you.

CHeers
Old 01-28-19, 02:37 PM
Miele Man

Bikes: iele Latina, Miele Suprema, Miele Uno LS, Miele Miele Beta, MMTB, Bianchi Model Unknown, Fiori Venezia, Fiori Napoli, VeloSport Adamas AX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1324 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 640 Posts
Originally Posted by Maelochs
Like reflective, neon is visible when light hits it (mechanics of optics and all ...) I was wearing my fluoro wind vest one night when a cycling friend passed me in his car. he commented on how visible I was because of my day-glo, hi-vis vest. Black is black when lit or not.

Reflective gear reflects .. other People's lights. And obviously, none of it matters if no one is looking.

orange and red turn black at low light---they reflect very little light because (I guess) other wavelengths get filtered out by the atmosphere around dusk, and red doesn't reflect well off red. I am not a physicist, though I play one in my imagination sometimes. But I do recall that studies were done int he late '60s and some municipalities started painting fire engines white, yellow or light fluorescent green.

As fro all that ... they realized that even all those flashing lights were simply not offering enough contrast at dusk. Possibly ... a black jersey with a really bright red light clipped to the top of the jersey pocket would offer the best visibility around dusk because it would create its own high-contrast background.

As for socks ... I don't see any studies mentioned by anyone about their efficacy, so i guess it's a personal thing. I have seen study results about ankle/pedal/shoe reflectors, and I bet a really bright tail light on the left ankle would be a huge benefit.
I've watched a lot of bicyclists at night and one thing I've noticed with nearly every single red flashing rear light I've see is t hat when stopped in a line of traffic the light is INVISIBLE swallowed up by the other brighter red car lights. Bright clothing seems to help be visible; I know I see a person sooner who is wearing bright clothing than I do someone wearing black or very dark clothing.

There's a very good reason why RED is NOT recommended for hunting clothing. In certain lighting red will look like a deep brown. I saw that years ago on a home built kayak I made and covered with red canvas painted red. I took an image of it from the bow and then walked around it and took another image from the stern - maybe 30 seconds between the two images. The bow image was a nice red and the image from the stern was a wonderful deep dark brown.

When I ride at night and when I start off from an intersection I switch my main front light to flash so that the flashing will catch drivers' eyes. I do NOT rely on drivers seeing me o my lights; I watch the front wheels of the car or truck. I read years ago in a bicycling book to watch the wheels not to rely on eye contact. that's because if a person isn't looking for something they may simply not see it because it just doesn't register on their consciousness.

I like a helmet mounted mirror or an eyeglass mirror. I also love a rear AMBER flashing light because that's an internationally recognized item to designate something that's a hazard to other vehicles. I loved the old Belt Beacon for that very purpose.

The thing with bicycling these days is that the bicyclist has to be alert to everything around them whilst navigating the roads. Sometimes that means slowing down or yielding the right of way.

Cheers
Old 01-28-19, 03:32 PM
JoeyBike
20+mph Commuter

Originally Posted by Miele Man
I also love a rear AMBER flashing light because that's an internationally recognized item to designate something that's a hazard to other vehicles.
Yeah, amber is great but so few good amber bike lights out there. Amber is, as you stated, signals something to be avoided - like a pothole or construction site. Solid red is something to FOLLOW, especially for drunks. A whimpy solid red light could appear to be a car tail light a mile up the road when actually it is a cyclist on the hood. I believe that the flashing red light however does communicate "cyclist" these days due to years of application.

There must be some good reason why red was chosen and not amber for cyclists rear lights?
Old 01-28-19, 11:10 PM
SHBR
C*pt*i* Obvious

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 596 Post(s)
Liked 53 Times in 44 Posts
Isn't amber used for turn signals?

That could confuse some road users.

There seems to be an uptick in confusion on the roads thanks to all of the electronic gadgets that are in use by almost everyone on or near the roadway.

That I learned from real world experience, and its also been confirmed by many users on this board.

Confirmation bias eh?
Old 01-29-19, 09:12 AM
MoAlpha
• —

Bikes: Shmikes

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 10147 Post(s)
Liked 5,840 Times in 3,144 Posts
I would really like a 360º amber flasher for the top of my helmet. Can't find one compact and light enough.
Old 01-29-19, 11:23 AM
JoeyBike
20+mph Commuter

Many casual "cyclists" in my community decorate their bikes with all sorts of string lights, every color imaginable. You can see them from space. Often they ride together during organized social rides which looks really cool. They ONLY ride at night because the lights are kinda the whole point of the event. I never hear of any of them getting hit.
Old 01-29-19, 12:11 PM
mr_bill

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 2112 Post(s)
Liked 663 Times in 443 Posts
Carnival Ride in Santa Cruz
(Why they hold it in December I don't know....)

-mr. bill
Old 01-29-19, 01:50 PM
Daniel4

Bikes: Sekine 1979 ten speed racer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1480 Post(s)
Liked 639 Times in 437 Posts
Has the A& S forums changed my behaviour?

Probably not because if one were to ask a question, 50 people responding would probably give out 30 different answers. So likely, one would either confirm his current opinion or get even more confused.

Hell, we can't even agree on stopping at red lights and stop signs.

Case in point:

Originally Posted by JoeyBike
"We" the human race, or "We" the cycling community?

Last time I checked (my bike commute this morning) "WE" the human race decided to agree that WE do whatever we want to. Cars, trucks, buses, bikes, pedestrians - I saw at least one of each breaking the law during my 20-minute bike commute.
Having said that, these threads did make me take the lane as well as lane position during red lights when the curb lane is both a right turn and a straight through lane.

Last edited by Daniel4; 01-31-19 at 04:02 PM.
Old 01-29-19, 01:57 PM
JoeyBike
20+mph Commuter

Originally Posted by Daniel4
...we can't even agree on stopping at red lights and stop signs..
"We" the human race, or "We" the cycling community?

Last time I checked (my bike commute this morning) "WE" the human race decided to agree that WE do whatever we want to. Cars, trucks, buses, bikes, pedestrians - I saw at least one of each breaking the law during my 20-minute bike commute.
Old 01-29-19, 09:18 PM
Rollfast
What happened?

Bikes: 3 Rollfasts, 3 Schwinns, a Shelby and a Higgins Flightliner in a pear tree!

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1835 Post(s)
Liked 292 Times in 255 Posts
Welcome to Arguments & Stuff.
Old 01-30-19, 10:16 PM
Gresp15C

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1062 Post(s)
Liked 665 Times in 421 Posts
I've stopped "taking the lane" for the most part. Don't know if this was due to reading A&S, or just the additional cycling experience over the past few years.

Last edited by Gresp15C; 01-31-19 at 08:47 AM.
Old 01-31-19, 11:24 PM
Bmach

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 440 Post(s)
Liked 264 Times in 162 Posts
Originally Posted by Gresp15C
I've stopped "taking the lane" for the most part. Don't know if this was due to reading A&S, or just the additional cycling experience over the past few years.

why? It is safer to take the lane in some situations.
Old 02-01-19, 03:01 AM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7648 Post(s)
Liked 3,465 Times in 1,831 Posts
Originally Posted by Gresp15C
Originally Posted by Bmach
why? It is safer to take the lane in some situations.
Emphasis added.
Old 02-01-19, 02:04 PM
guythatbrews

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Being new to the forum the A&S section hasn't had a chance to change my outlook. Except to reinforce my distaste to the personal rancor some seem proud to exhibit and unable to control. Unfortunately behaviour like this discourages people and eventually they stop visiting. I have done this with other forums due to a few with exceedingly boorish and predictable behaviour.

But I also see a lot of open-minded discourse here, and that is a good thing.

What works for some may not work for all. Many examples of that here.

A&S was my next stop at the forum after lurking in the tandem section. So I guess really A&S changed my behaviour by just existing. I think about avoiding car trouble a lot after a good friend was killed by a car heading into the sunrise ran him over. The driver said he didn't see him until to late. I now have a flashing light front and rear even in bright sunshine.

Back to the A&S forum now to learn more about riding in traffic!
Old 02-01-19, 04:30 PM
Paul Barnard
For The Fun of It

Bikes: Lynskey GR300, Lynskey Backroad, Litespeed T6, Lynskey MT29, Burley Duet

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 2134 Post(s)
Liked 1,643 Times in 825 Posts
Originally Posted by guythatbrews
Being new to the forum the A&S section hasn't had a chance to change my outlook. Except to reinforce my distaste to the personal rancor some seem proud to exhibit and unable to control. Unfortunately behaviour like this discourages people and eventually they stop visiting. I have done this with other forums due to a few with exceedingly boorish and predictable behaviour.

But I also see a lot of open-minded discourse here, and that is a good thing.

What works for some may not work for all. Many examples of that here.

A&S was my next stop at the forum after lurking in the tandem section. So I guess really A&S changed my behaviour by just existing. I think about avoiding car trouble a lot after a good friend was killed by a car heading into the sunrise ran him over. The driver said he didn't see him until to late. I now have a flashing light front and rear even in bright sunshine.

Back to the A&S forum now to learn more about riding in traffic!
Welcome to the forum/fracas. I think this really is a good forum despite the posters who seem to find joy in being adversarial for the sake of being adversarial. I am on a number of forums, and this is the first one I have ever found posters so insufferable that I used the ignore function. It has proven to be a useful feature, and I expect I'll be adding a few more to the list.

I would encourage you to read The Art of Cycling. https://www.amazon.com/Art-Cycling-B.../dp/0762743166 The author, Robert Hurst, used to be a member and occasional poster here. I like his approach to cycling and safety. He is far from militant, but will take the lane when he thinks it's necessary. He has a very cooperative disposition when he is on the road with motorists but never assumes an unsafe position for the sake of being accommodating. It has been a while since I read the book, but if I recall correctly he was an advocate for always obeying the law. He and I depart from agreement on that topic.
Old 02-02-19, 08:55 AM
TakingMyTime

Bikes: Canyon Endurace

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1041 Post(s)
Liked 922 Times in 539 Posts
I'm not sure if the A&S forum has made me a safer rider, but I do know that age has.

I think the best way to advocate safe riding practices is to "walk the talk". Let your children and friends see you wearing a helmet, let them see you obeying the law and not taking unnecessary risks.. Wear appropriate safety gear whenever possible. Remind them to respect other riders and drivers.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.