Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Mountain Biking
Reload this Page >

Comparing Two Bikes

Search
Notices
Mountain Biking Mountain biking is one of the fastest growing sports in the world. Check out this forum to discuss the latest tips, tricks, gear and equipment in the world of mountain biking.

Comparing Two Bikes

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-19, 09:23 PM
MAK

Bikes: Yes, I have bikes.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 276 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 65 Posts
Comparing Two Bikes

I'm looking at buying a mountain bike (trails...nothing extreme) and I've narrowed it down to two (I think). The Trek Roscoe 8 and the Co-Op Dirt 2.2 both look good to me. The major differences seem to be the shocks (different brands) and the drive trains (SLX 11 speed v. Eagle 12 speed). With my REI dividend the prices are about the same. Both have dropper posts, air shocks with remote lockout, hydraulic drakes, etc.

Does anyone with actual experience with either or both have an opinion? I do plan to test ride each and assuming that they are close, I'd like to know if there is something I should be considering.
Thank you.
Old 03-22-19, 10:14 AM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2761 Post(s)
Liked 2,534 Times in 1,433 Posts
Originally Posted by MAK
I'm looking at buying a mountain bike (trails...nothing extreme) and I've narrowed it down to two (I think). The Trek Roscoe 8 and the Co-Op Dirt 2.2 both look good to me. The major differences seem to be the shocks (different brands) and the drive trains (SLX 11 speed v. Eagle 12 speed). With my REI dividend the prices are about the same. Both have dropper posts, air shocks with remote lockout, hydraulic drakes, etc.

Does anyone with actual experience with either or both have an opinion? I do plan to test ride each and assuming that they are close, I'd like to know if there is something I should be considering.
Thank you.
Just looking at the Specs. the Co-Op looks a little better off, IMO. Better brakes (though they are both Shimano and all their hydro brakes seem pretty solid), and I see the X-Fusion McQueen gets some pretty good reviews, though I would want to be sure of the particular model they are specing.. The Rosco does have a wider range cassette, but for my needs personally an 11-46 is just fine. Also, 71 deg seat angle (on the Rosco) seems pretty slack by today's standards. But it all depends on the fit you want.

The main thing I would check is what exact model of the McQueen they are specing on the Co-Op. Make sure it is not some downgraded OEM-only version.

Last edited by Kapusta; 03-22-19 at 12:07 PM.
Old 03-22-19, 11:34 AM
bikeme

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 136 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 31 Posts
Both spec'd pretty close and both sound great to me. Ride them both and see how the cockpit/reach feel to you. Feel/fit is most important, don't get caught up on the color or brand name.
Old 03-30-19, 09:09 PM
MAK

Bikes: Yes, I have bikes.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 276 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 65 Posts
Kapusta and Bikeme,
Thank you for your responses. I should be test riding both next weekend.
FYI Kapusta...The McQueen model is not made solely for REI but it appears that it is their lowest level model.