Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Greece Tour!

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Greece Tour!

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-19, 04:28 PM
alicewithbike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Greece Tour!

Hello Everyone!

I'm trying to plan a solo, unsupported tour in Greece in late May (20-30th or so). Looking for something around 300-400 miles that I plan to do over 8-10 days with breaks. I'm not looking for anything TOO challenging (I'm by no means a pro cyclist!) so trying to avoid serious climbs though distance (40-60 miles p/day) is fine.

Love the beach so wanted to try to stay near the coast but not sure how the roads or scenery is. I've used Google street view to get a basic idea but if anyone has any experience touring Greece (and has a moment to check out my route!) I would be eternally grateful for any advice or suggestions! Here is my tentative route [unfortunately they won't let me post the route! Does anyone know how I can post a URL?] though I'm not 100% committed to it if anyone has suggestions for something better.

You don't need to sign up or create an account to view

Alternatively, if anyone knows a company that sells routes that would work too. I've reached out to some Bike tour agencies but they insist on luggage transfer, bike rental, booking lodging ahead of time, etc and I would prefer to kind of wing it. They won't sell their routes alone unfortunately

Thanks!
Old 04-03-19, 07:45 PM
axolotl

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 287 Post(s)
Liked 120 Times in 88 Posts
I once toured in the Pelopponese peninsula and found it challenging. The roads along the south coast typically had long climbs up, then long descents down to cross a little river, then back up again. It was very pretty, however, and traffic wasn't bad once I got onto the peninsula. I started in Athens and went across the Corinth Canal south to Nafplion, then to Sparta, then to the south end of the peninsula. Then north to Kalamata. I went north from Kalamata to Olympia, away from the south coast. I think the part from Kalamata to Olympia wasn't nearly as hard as the other parts of my route. I was there in mid-June and it was pretty hot already. Your late May timing should be pretty good.
Old 04-04-19, 02:52 PM
gerryl

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 25 Posts
I rode from Igoumenitsa in the north ( it's on the mainland opposite Corfu) to Athens. Greece is hilly with pretty good roads, you'll be rewarded by great scenery. If you aren't into hilly terrain you might want to try Crete, the northern coastal road is relatively easy. Also easy riding is the island of Rhodes. The summers get hot, however beer is available everywhere.👍
Old 04-04-19, 05:37 PM
djb

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 2735 Post(s)
Liked 969 Times in 792 Posts
may I suggest looking at the "website crazy guy on a bike"
I personally have no experience whatsoever with anything about Greece, other than working once with two Greek guys a long time ago who would yell at each other like fricken crazy, to the point that for a week or so I was certain fisticuffs were about to happen, but after a while, I reallized that they were just "talking" to each other.....
I did however learn a few greek words that guys say over and over and over to each other, not family friendly, but there you go

hopefully on cgoab you can find some tourers who put down their routes and impressions
Old 04-05-19, 11:05 AM
alan s 

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1496 Post(s)
Liked 189 Times in 128 Posts
And just in case you were wondering, the reference to “crazy” is not intended to demean mentally handicapped people, but refers to someone who really likes bike touring, and “guy” is a general reference to all people, not just men.
Old 04-08-19, 11:00 AM
alicewithbike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
hahaha. thanks for the clarification! I will take a look there today. @djb thank you for the suggestion!
@axolotl thank you for that advice! I am hoping to arrive too challenging a ride so may stay away from the peloponnese!
@gerryl thank you! will investigate Crete now!
Old 04-08-19, 06:43 PM
Cyclist0108
Occam's Rotor

Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Quoted: 2366 Post(s)
Liked 2,331 Times in 1,164 Posts
I did this once, solo, at age 21. Started in Athens airport (flew in from London) and rode around the Pelopponese. That was in ... 1984. I don't really remember much, but looking back on this, I would totally freak out if my own 21 year old kid decided to do it. It was hard.
Old 04-09-19, 10:14 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Be Careful

Greece was the site of Ian Hibell's last ride.. where he was struck & killed..
Old 04-13-19, 08:37 PM
alicewithbike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
@gerryl Have you taken that northern coastal road? I just looked and it seems like it's a pretty main road without much of a shoulder? Do you by chance still have the route you took?
Old 04-17-19, 07:32 PM
gerryl

Originally Posted by alicewithbike
@gerryl Have you taken that northern coastal road? I just looked and it seems like it's a pretty main road without much of a shoulder? Do you by chance still have the route you took?
Yes, I took the northern coastal road, there really isn't much of a choice. Being Greece the road is somewhat narrow, however it is easy riding since there aren't too many serious climbs, unlike mainland Greece. I rode from Sitia, after arriving by ferry from Rhodes, to Chania. I took side trip to Palaiochara on the south side of the island - tiny roads steep climbs.
Old 04-17-19, 07:39 PM
gerryl

Originally Posted by alicewithbike
Ref. Shoulders.
Ive been on roads in Greece with nice wide shoulders, but due to the lack of maintenance roadside bushes haven't been trimmed in years and have totally taken over the shoulder forcing cyclist well onto the road.
Old 01-03-20, 01:42 PM
Forogil

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
A loop in the Peloponnese would be a great choice

Perhaps read a guidebook to find the most promising region, then plot your back road route on a map.