Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Trek 5.2 Madone

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Trek 5.2 Madone

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-19, 08:28 PM
Helderberg

Bikes: Had an old Columbia in the 80's, here a used Schwinn hybrid, now a Cannondale Quick 3 and a Topstone 105..

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 249 Post(s)
Liked 306 Times in 139 Posts
Trek 5.2 Madone

Can anyone help my out. I am looking at a used 5.2 tomorrow and would like to get any information about this model I can. It says Discovery Channel on the bike and I do not have any other information at this time. Is there something I should be looking for as I have read the BB can be a sore point. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Frank.
Old 04-10-19, 07:02 AM
maartendc

Bikes: BMC SLC01, Trek Checkpoint ALR5

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 542 Post(s)
Liked 32 Times in 26 Posts
Originally Posted by Helderberg
Can anyone help my out. I am looking at a used 5.2 tomorrow and would like to get any information about this model I can. It says Discovery Channel on the bike and I do not have any other information at this time. Is there something I should be looking for as I have read the BB can be a sore point. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Frank.
I'd say nothing more than the due diligence required on any carbon frame: look for cracks, dents, test ride and listen for creaking, grab (push/pull) the frame firmly with both hands in various places and feel for flex / listen for creaking.

Carbon frames are not any less durable than alloy frames, but if anything is damaged, it can be a lot harder to spot than on an alloy frame (hairline cracks, etc.).

Lastly, don't pay too much for a bike like that. Even though most sellers think it is probably worth a lot because it is full carbon, that is a pretty old frameset. I wouldn't pay more than $400 for it probably, depending on the condition. It is probably this 2006 model:

https://www.bicyclebluebook.com/SearchListingDetail.aspx?id=11201&make=750&model=57300&year=2006&priceMax=20000
Old 04-10-19, 12:14 PM
Helderberg

Bikes: Had an old Columbia in the 80's, here a used Schwinn hybrid, now a Cannondale Quick 3 and a Topstone 105..

Originally Posted by maartendc
I'd say nothing more than the due diligence required on any carbon frame: look for cracks, dents, test ride and listen for creaking, grab (push/pull) the frame firmly with both hands in various places and feel for flex / listen for creaking.

Carbon frames are not any less durable than alloy frames, but if anything is damaged, it can be a lot harder to spot than on an alloy frame (hairline cracks, etc.).

Lastly, don't pay too much for a bike like that. Even though most sellers think it is probably worth a lot because it is full carbon, that is a pretty old frameset. I wouldn't pay more than $400 for it probably, depending on the condition. It is probably this 2006 model:

https://www.bicyclebluebook.com/Sear...priceMax=20000
Thank you for your response. I have to say that I have read the warning about older carbon and I had not realized the bike was that old. I have decided to pass on this one and look further. Thank you again.
Frank.
Old 04-10-19, 01:43 PM
maartendc

Originally Posted by Helderberg
Thank you for your response. I have to say that I have read the warning about older carbon and I had not realized the bike was that old. I have decided to pass on this one and look further. Thank you again.
Frank.
No problem.

Carbon fiber (or carbon fiber reinforced polymers to be exact) does not degrade over time, contrary to what people say / think, that is an old wives' tale. In fact, I work in construction engineering, and we use carbon fiber reinforced polymers as a repair method on concrete floors to add tensile strength. You couldn't do that if it were to degrade over time.

The "issue" with older carbon fiber frames is just that they are heavier and less refined than the newer designs. I personally have a Trek 5200 from 2001, which is also full carbon. The bike still works great, but if you compare the frame to a modern carbon fiber frameset, it is much heavier and much less compliant (comfortable). Over time, the designs of the frames have been optimized a lot.
Old 04-10-19, 02:14 PM
Helderberg

No problem.

Carbon fiber (or carbon fiber reinforced polymers to be exact) does not degrade over time, contrary to what people say / think, that is an old wives' tale. In fact, I work in construction engineering, and we use carbon fiber reinforced polymers as a repair method on concrete floors to add tensile strength. You couldn't do that if it were to degrade over time.

The "issue" with older carbon fiber frames is just that they are heavier and less refined than the newer designs. I personally have a Trek 5200 from 2001, which is also full carbon. The bike still works great, but if you compare the frame to a modern carbon fiber frameset, it is much heavier and much less compliant (comfortable). Over time, the designs of the frames have been optimized a lot.
Thank you, Frank.
Old 04-11-19, 04:08 AM
biker128pedal

Bikes: 2022 Fuel EX 8, 2021 Domane SL6, Black Beta (Nashbar frame), 2004 Trek 1000C for the trainer

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 270 Post(s)
Liked 447 Times in 266 Posts
I have a 2005 Madone 5.0. Still rolling along. I’m the original owner so still have the warranty on the frame. The frames in good shape. Cross fingers. For a good price I’d buy a used one. I Upgraded to Bontrager carbon wheels last year. My rear rim cracked so it was time. :-)
Old 04-15-19, 12:30 PM
Duo
Banned.

Bikes: The Good Book of bicycling

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 535 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 29 Posts

https://www.bicyclebluebook.com/Sear...priceMax=20000
msrp is 3000, that is quite a dive in price?
Old 04-16-19, 07:55 AM
maartendc

Originally Posted by Duo
msrp is 3000, that is quite a dive in price?
Uhm.. yeah that is just how it goes with old bikes. They were never "worth" their asking price to begin with. Do you really think a $3000 bike is 3x better than a $1000 bike? I bought my used BMC SLC01 with an MSRP of $7000 (in 2009) for $1250 in 2016.

When you are no longer paying for the privilege to have the latest and greatest, people start comparing bikes to what you can currently buy for your money. If you are paying much more, I would say that I'd rather have a brand new alloy road bike with 105 11-speed components for example, versus a 13 year old carbon bike with outdated Ultegra. Considering you are not sure of the history of the bike, if it has been crashed, etc.

Depending on the condition of the bike, you could pay as much as $600 for it, if it is in pristine condition. But more than that would be foolish. You can find much newer, used carbon bikes for under $1000.
Old 04-17-19, 07:41 AM
Helderberg

Thank you all again for the good advice. I will keep it in mind when the next "good deal" comes along.
Frank.