Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electric Bikes
Reload this Page >

Hardtail e-bike for xc, off-road, am?

Search
Notices
Electric Bikes Here's a place to discuss ebikes, from home grown to high-tech.

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-19, 02:20 AM
pix530

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I am just curious if anyone is doing xc or all mountain with hardtails switched or used e-bike?

looking for serious amateurs opinions.

I am looking for new bike, likely hybrid and found the e-bike trend..

What bothers me is weight. Regular bike is 25-29lbs vs 55-60lbs for similar e-bike.

I can see the benefit for commuters. How about off-road ?
Old 04-10-19, 09:16 AM
2old

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 880 Post(s)
Liked 817 Times in 617 Posts
IMO, you get used to the weight. In fact for the most part it's noticeable when you load and unload your bike. Also, OEM bikes are getting much lighter, and the new Fauza drivetrain unit (reportedly < 7 pounds for the motor, battery and all ancillary parts) will make them even lighter.For reference, I built a GT Zaskar with a BBS02 mid-drive and Luna 3.5 pound battery that weighed < 35 pounds.
Old 04-10-19, 11:35 AM
pix530

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 2old
IMO, you get used to the weight. In fact for the most part it's noticeable when you load and unload your bike. Also, OEM bikes are getting much lighter, and the new Fauza drivetrain unit (reportedly < 7 pounds for the motor, battery and all ancillary parts) will make them even lighter.For reference, I built a GT Zaskar with a BBS02 mid-drive and Luna 3.5 pound battery that weighed < 35 pounds.
- Sure, someone can get used to anything. I have metal cruiser superheavy and I had full carbon MB (stolen). So I know what is weight and how to get used to it. )))
- Will make for sure. I dont want to wait, season is started, and I am looking to buy new bike to enjoy riding it asap. Like in a month maximum.

Again, interested to know who moved from MB to E-bike. Not for commuting, for trails?
Old 04-10-19, 12:44 PM
BobG

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 318 Post(s)
Liked 117 Times in 82 Posts
Here in my area of the White Mts of NH the most serious single track riding can involve many dismounts with carrying the bike over obstacles, up ledges, across rivers and other unrideable terrain. I had to retire from mountain biking for health reasons but used to do the above such single tracks avidly on a conventional mtb. I cannot imagine doing those same rides today with a bike too heavy to throw over the shoulder. The "walk" speed feature that some ebikes have would be of no help when the terrain requires a carry.

On dirt, gravel, paved roads or easy trails? As noted above, the weight of an ebike is a moot point except for lifting to and from motor vehicle, onto work stand or going up stairs. I took a short ride last week on my manual 22 pound titanium Litespeed road bike. It felt like a tank with flat tires compared to my 48 pound BG Rock&Road retrofit ebike!

Hopefully someone who has ridden technical single track on their mtb ebike will chime in...

Last edited by BobG; 04-11-19 at 06:10 AM.
Old 04-11-19, 10:25 AM
01 CAt Man Do

Bikes: Mountain bike & Hybrid tour bike

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 183 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by BobG
Here in my area of the White Mts of NH the most serious single track riding can involve many dismounts with carrying the bike over obstacles, up ledges, across rivers and other unrideable terrain. I had to retire from mountain biking for health reasons but used to do the above such single tracks avidly on a conventional mtb. I cannot imagine doing those same rides today with a bike too heavy to throw over the shoulder. The "walk" speed feature that some ebikes have would be of no help when the terrain requires a carry.

On dirt, gravel, paved roads or easy trails? As noted above, the weight of an ebike is a moot point except for lifting to and from motor vehicle, onto work stand or going up stairs. I took a short ride last week on my manual 22 pound titanium Litespeed road bike. It felt like a tank with flat tires compared to my 48 pound BG Rock&Road retrofit ebike!

Hopefully someone who has ridden technical single track on their mtb ebike will chime in...
Being new to ebikes I was musing on the very thoughts you have expressed just last night when I took another ride on my road ebike. I too am worried that I may have to give up MTB'n due to health issues. Last night as I was riding I was realizing that when it comes to avoiding obstacles on the road ( cracks in pavement or smaller items ) you really don't have the option to bunny hop like with a normal / lighter road bike. The same would be even more true if riding an e-mtb. An e-MTB would have to be even heavier especially if it were FS. No doubt in my mind that if I were to ride an e-MTB that I would likely find it much more harder to control. Certainly no last minute juking like with a normal bike. Of course the trade off is you don't have to kill yourself on the climbs. I suppose it could work but likely you would have to pick and chose the technical nature of the trails that you are going to ride. I certainly wouldn't want to portage an ebike of any kind but that's coming from a senior citizen with a really bad lower back. Hard enough for me to portage my new ebike up a short flight of stairs to my apartment. Doable but thankfully it's only one floor up.