Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Jamis Satellite Sport

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Jamis Satellite Sport

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-19, 07:15 AM
riverdrifter

Bikes: 1985 Cannondale SR500, 1990 Cannondale ST600, 1993 Cannondale M700

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 171 Post(s)
Liked 277 Times in 108 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
Yes. Personally, I think fenders are overrated. Don't tour with them myself. Not interested in the "fiddle factor." My tent and tarp go on the rear rack parallel to the frame. That keeps the spray off my back.
Yeah I wonder how much riding in the rain I'll be doing, and I will have a rear rack. I think I would benefit though from larger tires, here in thorn country. Or does that really not matter? It just seems to me that a larger tire would be more durable. But you know, I'm a newb.
Old 04-17-19, 07:54 AM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7652 Post(s)
Liked 3,473 Times in 1,834 Posts
Larger tires can generally be a bit more comfortable over small bumps .... but puncture resistance is unrelated to size. You can get a tough, heavy, unyielding skinny tire or a soft, supple fat tire.

I generally prefer a tire liner and a softer tire. As far as I know there is no cure for goatheads .... in fact, that might be a really popular thread.
Old 04-17-19, 09:01 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10955 Post(s)
Liked 7,485 Times in 4,187 Posts
Originally Posted by riverdrifter
The brakes are long-reach.

The Tektro R317 Brake will provide you with strong, rigid performance thanks to its forged aluminium construction and high power dual pivot mechanism. Due to its long 47-59mm of adjustable reach, the R317 caliper is ideally suited to touring bikes or bikes with larger tyre sizes.

Here's a pic showing the clearance. Do you guys think 32s will fit? Or maybe 28s with a fender?

yes they are long reach and it would be worth trying to fit 32s in the fork.
But the rear may not fit, it totally depends on frame geometry. The brake bride needs to be set high enough and there needs to be clearance on the chainstays near the bottom bracket.

just wait for the bike to arrive, measure the potential contact points, and you will have your answer. Remember- you need space between the frame and tire for dirt, debris, etc to not get trapped and potentially scrape or stop you.
Old 04-17-19, 09:04 AM
riverdrifter

Originally Posted by mstateglfr
yes they are long reach and it would be worth trying to fit 32s in the fork.
But the rear may not fit, it totally depends on frame geometry. The brake bride needs to be set high enough and there needs to be clearance on the chainstays near the bottom bracket.

just wait for the bike to arrive, measure the potential contact points, and you will have your answer. Remember- you need space between the frame and tire for dirt, debris, etc to not get trapped and potentially scrape or stop you.
Ok will do, thanks!
Old 04-21-19, 07:01 AM
PugRider

Bikes: Fuji Sportif 1.7C, Shogun Metro AT, Jamis Durango SX, Miyata Alumicross, Fuji Special Road Racer, Mongoose ATB, Fuji SST 1.0 Team, Gitane (?), Specialized Rockhopper SS, Univega Gran Turismo, Univega Supra Sport Mixte, Nishiki Tri-A, Diamondback Coil

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked 141 Times in 78 Posts
Sweet bike, just so happens earlier in the spring I pulled the trigger on a small-size Jamis Ventura for $200 (!!) from Velomine; my wife wanted to upgrade. Smooth transaction, although I will say that the bike needed a bit of a once-over once it was out of the box, just wheel bearing adjustments, more grease for the headset, etc. That kind of stuff. She loves the bike, and it performs flawlessly. The only thing I replaced right away was the 12-25 cassette; lots of hills around here, so a bump up to a 28t cassette was a no-brainer.

Enjoy, would love a modern steel bike in my quiver at some point!
Old 04-21-19, 07:43 AM
riverdrifter

Originally Posted by PugRider
Sweet bike, just so happens earlier in the spring I pulled the trigger on a small-size Jamis Ventura for $200 (!!) from Velomine; my wife wanted to upgrade. Smooth transaction, although I will say that the bike needed a bit of a once-over once it was out of the box, just wheel bearing adjustments, more grease for the headset, etc. That kind of stuff. She loves the bike, and it performs flawlessly. The only thing I replaced right away was the 12-25 cassette; lots of hills around here, so a bump up to a 28t cassette was a no-brainer.

Enjoy, would love a modern steel bike in my quiver at some point!
That's good to hear. I'm glad the Ventura is working out great!