Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Folding Bikes
Reload this Page >

Mu Uno rear wheel replacement

Search
Notices
Folding Bikes Discuss the unique features and issues of folding bikes. Also a great place to learn what folding bike will work best for your needs.

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-19, 04:08 PM
DLBroox

Bikes: Bianchi San Jose, Dahon Mu Uno, Origami Wasp

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 15 Posts

I love my Mu Uno but have never gotten used to the coaster brake. Is it possible to get a regular rear wheel and then take the additional bracket off? This might be an obvious question, but I want to make sure before I spend any money.

I’d need to know the width for the hub to do it right?

I know there’s a way to dismantle the mechanism inside the hub but I really don’t want to ruin a wheel because I don’t know what I’m doing and I’m not sure a bike shop would do it.
Old 04-13-19, 05:01 PM
linberl

Bikes: Trident Spike 2 recumbent trike w/ e-assist

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1321 Post(s)
Liked 374 Times in 288 Posts
You're not the first to ask, lol. https://www.bikeforums.net/folding-b...e-removal.html It took me a while to get used to mine, but I have to say I love having a coaster brake when riding in the rain.
Old 04-13-19, 05:18 PM
DLBroox

Originally Posted by linberl
You're not the first to ask, lol. https://www.bikeforums.net/folding-b...e-removal.html It took me a while to get used to mine, but I have to say I love having a coaster brake when riding in the rain.
That’s pretty funny. The guy sounds a lot like me!
Old 04-13-19, 11:40 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
rim brakes and a freewheel hub ? you did not say how wide the frame is
3 peed hubs may fit ..

but you need the width data..
Old 04-14-19, 07:04 AM
tds101 
55+ Club,...

Bikes: 9+,...

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1111 Post(s)
Liked 842 Times in 587 Posts
I have a custom rear wheel on my Dahon Speed Uno (3i now), with a coaster brake. The rim is a Rhino Light, bmx I believe. I have Schwalbe Big Apple tires on it with no clearance issues.

I'd suggest a bmx rear wheel,... Just see if you can put a rear brake on the frame. Safety first!
Old 04-14-19, 07:57 AM
DLBroox

Thanks everybody. I rode this morning and thought maybe I should just come to terms with it and learn to use it well. I adore the bike and don’t want to mess it up experimenting and wasting money now that I’ve read everyone’s input.
Old 04-14-19, 09:21 AM
linberl

What about it don't you like? For me, the hard part was adjusting to taking off after stops without being able to easily move the wheel. It necessitated that I actually become more ambidextrous with my feet - I've always been super oriented to pushing down on my right leg, but now I'm getting more comfortable with pushing on the left side to start. Then I just make sure the pedals are not completely vertical when I stop and it's all good. Like I said, it's great in the rain, no grinding rim noises from water and sludge. And I love making left turns in traffic; one hand off the bars is no big deal when you can control your speed with your feet. It's weird for a minute when I switch back to my Bike Friday (all handbrakes) but again, my brain is learning to adapt. It's a great bike - nearly as light as my BF (once I replaced the stupid pump seatpost and took off the rear rack), the single speed works for me for nearly all my daily riding. It's a very fun bike! How does that song go..."love the one you're with" lol.
Old 04-14-19, 11:09 AM
DLBroox

It’s pretty much what you describe that’s the problem. More stopping than starting though. Although I use a right foot peddle “stamp” on my full size bike, I can deal with the peddle position better now by pushing with a left foot on the ground to roll and lifting the right peddle with Power Grips on.

But it’s the stopping and landing with my left foot that’s tricky. If I have the peddles in the wrong position I find it hard to land with my left foot and almost kill myself trying to get my foot out of the Power grip.

But out this morning I realized that if I use the coaster to slow to an almost stop I can get my foot out and use the handbrake to stop the roll to hop and land with my left foot.

But to stop short I use the handbrake so I don’t have to worry about peddle position.
Old 04-14-19, 11:24 AM
linberl

Yeah, it's a matter of finding what works. I use the coaster to brake 90% and the handbrake is my last revolution. I typically stop with the right pedal down and slightly forward. A push off the left side on the ground while I let momentum push the right pedal back (so it doesn't trigger the brake and impede forward motion). Just keep practicing, you'll find a method that works for you. Eventually it gets into muscle memory and then it's a lot easier. Be safe out there and enjoy the ride - you've got a sweet bike!
Old 04-14-19, 12:20 PM
DLBroox

Yeah, it's a matter of finding what works. I use the coaster to brake 90% and the handbrake is my last revolution. I typically stop with the right pedal down and slightly forward. A push off the left side on the ground while I let momentum push the right pedal back (so it doesn't trigger the brake and impede forward motion). Just keep practicing, you'll find a method that works for you. Eventually it gets into muscle memory and then it's a lot easier. Be safe out there and enjoy the ride - you've got a sweet bike!
Thank you!

It’s funny that I grew up using a coaster brake on my purple Stingray with the banana seat and monkey bar and wouldn’t even think twice about any of this. My ten speed was the big girl’s bike with hand brakes because coaster brakes were for kids.

But my Mu reminds me of riding like a kid on that Stingray. That’s why I love it so much.
Old 04-14-19, 04:10 PM
tds101 
55+ Club,...

Bikes: 9+,...

Quoted: 1111 Post(s)
Liked 842 Times in 587 Posts
Originally Posted by DLBroox

Thank you!

It’s funny that I grew up using a coaster brake on my purple Stingray with the banana seat and monkey bar and wouldn’t even think twice about any of this. My ten speed was the big girl’s bike with hand brakes because coaster brakes were for kids.

But my Mu reminds me of riding like a kid on that Stingray. That’s why I love it so much.
The reason I kept my Speed 3i with a coaster brake is because I, also, eventually grew to like the simplicity of it. Just 1 twist shifter, pedal backwards to stop,...so,...relaxing. Definitely reminds me of my childhood (only I couldn't afford the geared bikes - IGH or otherwise).
Old 04-14-19, 06:26 PM
linberl

There's a zen like simplicity to a single speed coaster brake bike. Other than pumping tires and some chain lube, you just get on and ride. The bike feels indestructible and that is really freeing. No concern for finicky expensive parts. Today I got on a crowded Bart train and another bike boarded so I just snapped my Mu in half to make room, and people were amazed at how fast and simple it was. It's just a super fun, bombproof bike.
Old 04-15-19, 09:09 AM
cocoabeachcrab 
Myrtle Beach Crab

Bikes: enough one would think, but thinking isn't my strong point

Quoted: 271 Post(s)
Liked 541 Times in 214 Posts
There's a zen like simplicity to a single speed coaster brake bike. Other than pumping tires and some chain lube, you just get on and ride. The bike feels indestructible and that is really freeing. No concern for finicky expensive parts. Today I got on a crowded Bart train and another bike boarded so I just snapped my Mu in half to make room, and people were amazed at how fast and simple it was. It's just a super fun, bombproof bike.
True that! Simple is the way to go! I had a used Mu D9 that i converted to a single speed but ended up selling it. worst mistake i've made (at least as far as bikes are concerned!) i bought a speed uno recently, and while it's way overpriced considering the quality of the parts on the bike, it'll do.
Old 04-16-19, 01:46 PM
DLBroox

Why’d they stop making the Mu Uno model I wonder. It’s an elegant design. And the reviews are always good. I think if I decided to sell it I could still get 500 bucks for it. They seem sought after. I don’t think I’d part with it even if I found another bike I liked better. I ride other bikes and always come back to it and think why am I riding the other things?!
Old 04-16-19, 05:20 PM
linberl

Why’d they stop making the Mu Uno model I wonder. It’s an elegant design. And the reviews are always good. I think if I decided to sell it I could still get 500 bucks for it. They seem sought after. I don’t think I’d part with it even if I found another bike I liked better. I ride other bikes and always come back to it and think why am I riding the other things?!
I paid $250 for mine, lightly used, very recently - and knew I'd gotten a steal. It had the seatpost pump (never used) and rear rack and fenders, too. The guy had two of them, one his and one his wife's. One sold in minutes after he posted so I begged him to hold the 2d one for me til I got there. This bike completely changed my view of Dahon bikes. I previously considered them to be way too heavy, too time consuming to fold, etc. The Mu Uno is fantastic. Never would even have know it existed if not for the many threads here, which meant I knew to jump on the bike once it was listed on CL. The only folder I like better is my Bike Friday pakiT. I like riding the Mu Uno much more than I did the brompton.
Old 04-17-19, 03:47 PM
DLBroox

I paid $250 for mine, lightly used, very recently - and knew I'd gotten a steal. It had the seatpost pump (never used) and rear rack and fenders, too. The guy had two of them, one his and one his wife's. One sold in minutes after he posted so I begged him to hold the 2d one for me til I got there. This bike completely changed my view of Dahon bikes. I previously considered them to be way too heavy, too time consuming to fold, etc. The Mu Uno is fantastic. Never would even have know it existed if not for the many threads here, which meant I knew to jump on the bike once it was listed on CL. The only folder I like better is my Bike Friday pakiT. I like riding the Mu Uno much more than I did the brompton.
Wow 250?! Seriously a steal! He had no idea what he had. Lucky for you.
Old 04-17-19, 04:12 PM
linberl

Wow 250?! Seriously a steal! He had no idea what he had. Lucky for you.
Yeah, I don't think he knew it had become a "cult" bike, lol. Just wanted them both out of the garage. I don't usually take the cash with me on CL purchases; I see the item and then hit the ATM but this time I knew taking the cash with me was essential. Didn't even try to bargain with him. Tires were flat so I couldn't ride it and I didn't care. You could tell it had hardly been used. I wasn't sure a single speed would work for me but it turned out just fine - everything in the north-south direction is pretty flat. I've my BF for going East (West is the Bay, so I'd need pontoons).
Old 04-24-19, 08:39 AM
DLBroox

There's a Mu Uno for sale on Miami Beach only miles from where I live. It's one that has the UK brake set-up for the back wheel which has a V brake. I didn't even know they made it that way.
Old 04-24-19, 09:42 AM
linberl

Are you gonna buy it? Might be nice to have a spare =) There's a P8 near me but I am trying hard to be good (it's only $250 as well, though, so it's taking a lot of self-control!).
Old 04-27-19, 02:52 PM
DLBroox

Are you gonna buy it? Might be nice to have a spare =) There's a P8 near me but I am trying hard to be good (it's only $250 as well, though, so it's taking a lot of self-control!).
I haven’t gone back to look at it. I’m trying to behave too. I’m becoming one with the coaster brake!

It’s on eBay for anyone interested.
Likes For DLBroox:
Old 04-27-19, 04:43 PM
linberl

I’m becoming one with the coaster brake!
Yay!!!