Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Questions about a 1973 Schwinn Continental

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-19, 10:24 AM
WilliamK1974

Bikes: Schwinn World, Haro Flightline Sport, Gitane TdF

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 11 Posts

Earlier this week, I was able to pick up a 1973 Schwinn Continental that was in pretty good shape. It still has the original blue bar tape, original centerpull brakes and pads, original seat, and a small Schwinn-branded vinyl bag that hangs below the seat. While its tires are replacements, the wheels are the original 27" chrome-covered steel.

I would like to turn it into an occasional fun rider that preserves its old vintage spirit while allowing it to have a few more modern and better parts than came on it, so I have a couple of questions about that:

The chrome is flaking off the rear derailleur pretty badly, and I'm not sure that it's working correctly. I've been changing the shifter cables since they were rusty. Now, once I get the cable installed and adjusted, it might be ok. But if not, would I be able to mount a Suntour Cyclone in place of the original Schwinn Approved rd?

Also, besides being old and heavy, the original wheels have some non-true places. They could likely be fixed, but I think it would be best to put a modern alloy 700c wheel and tireset on it. Thing is, I'm not sure what to buy. I also wonder if using a better rd might allow for a different freewheel with a more modern range of gears without having to "cold set" the frame. But once again, I'm not sure what to buy.

I've done some parts swapping on a few other bikes in the past, but never the wheels or freewheels. Any advice would be appreciated.
Old 04-17-19, 11:07 AM
dweenk

Bikes: Lots of English 3-speeds, a couple of old road bikes, 3 mountain bikes, 1 hybrid, and a couple of mash-ups

Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Quoted: 887 Post(s)
Liked 335 Times in 225 Posts
It has been a while since I briefly owned a Continental. As I recall, it had a Huret RD that was labeled Schwinn Approved. Once you have the cables sorted out you may find that it works OK. If you want to change the RD, a Suntour V-GT or VGT Luxe would be appropriate, but you could use the long cage Cyclone. If it were mine, I would try to find a good used pair of alloy 27" rims with a 5 or 6 speed freewheel. I'm not sure that your brakes have the extra reach for 700C rims (you would need to lower the pads 4mm).
Old 04-17-19, 11:17 AM
Aubergine 
Bad example

Bikes: Peugeot: AO-8 1973, PA-10 1971, PR-10 1973, Sante 1988; Masi Gran Criterium 1975, Stevenson Tourer 1980, Stevenson Criterium 1981, Schwinn Paramount 1972, Rodriguez 2006, Gitane Federal ~1975, Holdsworth Pro, Follis 172 ~1973, Bianchi '62

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 823 Post(s)
Liked 204 Times in 92 Posts
I agree with @dweenk. The derailleur is easy to swap out, and as much as I love old French stuff a Suntour derailleur will be era-appropriate and will work better. And replacing the wheels with good aluminum 27” wheels will greatly improve the bike. You probably have a spacing of 120 mm between the rear dropouts, and it should not be too hard to spread that to 126 if you choose. However, it would be fine to leave it as it is and use a five speed freewheel.

As for getting 27” wheels, they are not hard to find used. If you cannot find them locally ask for a pair in the Classic and Vintage sales forum and you should get some good options.
Old 04-17-19, 04:46 PM
Deal4Fuji
minimalist cyclist

Bikes: yes please

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1119 Post(s)
Liked 1,641 Times in 944 Posts
Originally Posted by WilliamK1974
Earlier this week, I was able to pick up a 1973 Schwinn Continental that was in pretty good shape. It still has the original blue bar tape,

I would like to turn it into an occasional fun rider that preserves its old vintage spirit while allowing it to have a few more modern and better parts than came on it, so I have a couple of questions about that:
Welcome to Club Continental ! I guess I'm no longer the newest member. I found a copper (called Chestnut by Schwinn) '75 about a month ago and it in was almost mint condition, I'm even using what I'm pretty sure is the original Schwinn Sports Touring front tire. It also had the original bar tape, and in my post a lot of other Continentals and Varsitys pictured still had their original color matching tape too. I'm also using mine as a fun rider / trainer and since everything was in such good shape I kept it pretty much as it left the Schwinn dealer. It's heavy but not that bad to ride BUT I'm riding on flat land, If I were facing hills I might be looking lighter components too.

Lets see some pics

Last edited by Deal4Fuji; 04-17-19 at 04:51 PM.
Old 04-17-19, 05:33 PM
juvela

Mentioned: 415 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3808 Post(s)
Liked 3,332 Times in 2,174 Posts
------

Regarding the "non-true places" on the bicycle's wheel rims -

the Schwinn S6 model rims the bicycle comes with have some "wave" or "wobble" to them when new from the factory.

they cannot be trued to a very close standard.

changing to some good alloy wheels as suggested above will not only make the machine more fun to ride and pedal but will also noticeably improve the braking performance.

-----

Last edited by juvela; 04-17-19 at 05:34 PM. Reason: spellin'
Old 04-18-19, 10:54 AM
WilliamK1974

I did some tuning on it last night, and now have the RD where it will operate under "laboratory" conditions. What that means is that I can lift the back tire off the ground with my left arm, pedal with my right, and quickly reach up and shift gears. I may not get to do a road test until tomorrow afternoon.

Someone nearby is selling a Sonycycle 10-spd for pretty cheap. I thought about going out to check on it and see if its wheels were alloy, and if so, that could be a good way to "cheat" and get a cheap set of 27" alloy wheels. That assumes that nothing else about the bike is worth saving or fixing. Someone else is also selling a Japanese-built Schwinn Traveller for cheap that appears to need a little work. A bit further to drive, but also a potential option.

Now, did these things use Ashtabula cranks because they were cheap, easy to install at the factory, and durable? Otherwise, I can't see an advantage since other options existed by that time. As much as I like the old-school appearance of the bike's current crankset, that Ashtabula stuff has to add at least three lbs to its total weight.

As far as pics go, I'll try to get some good ones today.

Thank you for all the help so far.

-William
Old 04-18-19, 12:27 PM
juvela

Mentioned: 415 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3808 Post(s)
Liked 3,332 Times in 2,174 Posts
-----

ashtabula: able to withstand the abuse of male teenagers

-----
Old 04-19-19, 06:39 AM
John E
feros ferio

Bikes: 1959 Capo Modell Campagnolo; 1960 Capo Sieger (2); 1962 Carlton Franco Suisse; 1970 Peugeot UO-8; 1982 Bianchi Campione d'Italia; 1988 Schwinn Project KOM-10;

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 1392 Post(s)
Liked 1,324 Times in 836 Posts
In the early 1990s I commuted for about a year on a Varsity of that general vintage, and the only way I could stand it was after I substituted KoolStop brake pads, alloy rims, a 6-speed freewheel, downtube shifters (which required a shim because of the undersized frame tubing), a tensioned leather saddle, and toeclips, which I mounted after drilling out the front reflector in each pedal. Removing the built-in kickstand saved me a pound of unwanted weight, as well.

I'll say one thing in favor of the Varsinental frames -- they don't break. Part of my commute was a half-mile climb up a 12 percent grade (Lusk Bl. connecting Sorrento Valley to Sorrento Mesa, for those familiar with mid-coastal San Diego County), and the 1973 Peugeot UO-8 that replaced the Varsity cracked a chainstay after just a few years of my use.
Peugeot: 1970 UO-8, S/N 0010468
Bianchi: 1982 Campione d'Italia, S/N 1.M9914
Schwinn: 1988 Project KOM-10, S/N F804069
Old 04-19-19, 06:56 AM
Lemond1985
Sophomore Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1628 Post(s)
Liked 1,057 Times in 631 Posts
Originally Posted by John E
I'll say one thing in favor of the Varsinental frames -- they don't break.
They're too busy absorbing and wasting your precious pedal strokes to even think about breaking, as you bash your knee into the stem shifter for the twelfth time of the day. When certain things break, it can actually be to your advantage.
Old 04-19-19, 06:57 AM
WilliamK1974

Reading another post reminded me of the idea of checking with a bike co-op for parts and a place to work on the bike. My city has one, and I was a member years ago. They've probably had more than a few people come through there wanting to update a Conti to give it some modern benefits while keeping its vintage character.
Old 04-19-19, 06:59 AM
WilliamK1974

In the early 1990s I commuted for about a year on a Varsity of that general vintage, and the only way I could stand it was after I substituted KoolStop brake pads, alloy rims, a 6-speed freewheel, downtube shifters (which required a shim because of the undersized frame tubing), a tensioned leather saddle, and toeclips, which I mounted after drilling out the front reflector in each pedal. Removing the built-in kickstand saved me a pound of unwanted weight, as well.

I'll say one thing in favor of the Varsinental frames -- they don't break. Part of my commute was a half-mile climb up a 12 percent grade (Lusk Bl. connecting Sorrento Valley to Sorrento Mesa, for those familiar with mid-coastal San Diego County), and the 1973 Peugeot UO-8 that replaced the Varsity cracked a chainstay after just a few years of my use.
Did you ever compare the weight of the bike before and after you made your mods? I know it'll never be a true lightweight, but getting rid of 8lbs would make a difference.
Old 04-19-19, 07:00 AM
Hudson308 
Mr. Anachronism

Bikes: fillet-brazed Chicago Schwinns, and some other stuff

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 526 Post(s)
Liked 256 Times in 165 Posts
Now, did these things use Ashtabula cranks because they were cheap, easy to install at the factory, and durable? Otherwise, I can't see an advantage since other options existed by that time. As much as I like the old-school appearance of the bike's current crankset, that Ashtabula stuff has to add at least three lbs to its total weight.
Pretty much. The one-piece crank is a design nearly as old as bicycles themselves, and still in use today. I've taken a number of prewar examples apart that were still in remarkable shape, only requiring a good cleaning and new grease. And you'll never have any issues with stubborn cotters or finicky square tapers.
Old 04-19-19, 07:15 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5224 Post(s)
Liked 3,581 Times in 2,342 Posts
scavenging old bikes is a great way to build up a complete bike. I did that for a while. but then, I had to unload all the extra stuff I wound up with, aka complete bikes that I didn't want & some frames. I think one year, within 6 months, I unloaded 13 bikes & frames. then I went & bought a better complete bike. then I eventually bought a modern road bike. man I spent so much time (& money) working with the old stuff. I really would have been better off saving & shopping. but I guess all that hobby wrenching filled a void in my life (which I no longer have). party on, but you might really appreciate an inexpensive bike stand & save your back! I sure do!
Likes For rumrunn6:
Old 04-19-19, 09:31 AM
WilliamK1974

Originally Posted by rumrunn6
scavenging old bikes is a great way to build up a complete bike. I did that for a while. but then, I had to unload all the extra stuff I wound up with, aka complete bikes that I didn't want & some frames. I think one year, within 6 months, I unloaded 13 bikes & frames. then I went & bought a better complete bike. then I eventually bought a modern road bike. man I spent so much time (& money) working with the old stuff. I really would have been better off saving & shopping. but I guess all that hobby wrenching filled a void in my life (which I no longer have). party on, but you might really appreciate an inexpensive bike stand & save your back! I sure do!
I haven't gotten to the point of having multiple bare frames or anything like that. All my bikes are complete even if they're not high-end or anything like that. I know I could probably save some money and get a really great bike for riding on roads, MUPS etc, but I'm pretty satisfied with what I have and just don't feel like shelling out new bike money right now. That is how I got my Haro MTB, and it has been a great purchase. That was 10 or 11 years ago.

Like you, I enjoy turning a wrench and tinkering with things. I'll look around and see what kind of bike stand I can find.
Old 04-19-19, 10:05 AM
dddd
Ride, Wrench, Swap, Race

Bikes: Cheltenham-Pedersen racer, Boulder F/S Paris-Roubaix, Varsity racer, '52 Christophe, '62 Continental, '92 Merckx, '75 Limongi, '76 Presto, '72 Gitane SC, '71 Schwinn SS, etc.

Mentioned: 132 Post(s)
Quoted: 1565 Post(s)
Liked 1,295 Times in 865 Posts
Luckily the "Varsinental" models have wide enough frame spacing for a 6s freewheelset to be used, I put a 6s on the original wheelset myself. The Schwinn/Allvit rear derailer won't handle a 6s without modifications.

The brakes easily adjust to handle 700c wheels, and which lowers the towering bottom bracket height of these bikes while still allowing the WORLD'S GREATEST KICKSTAND to work properly.

The stem shifters on these bikes are exceptional in that they are designed properly, placing the lever pivots ahead of the stem quill, thus affording more knee clearance with generous lever length.

These bike's frames fit small in terms of forward reach, so one is usually best off selecting the frame size that feels about too big rather than normal. You especially don't want to have to resort to a longer stem, which tends to foul up the bike's handling if 9 or 10cm length is exceeded. The stem quill after 1966 or so was also the less-common .833" or 21.1mm diameter instead of a normal 22.2mm.

The Ashtabula crankset can be serviced with an adjustable wrench and a small screwdriver to rotate the cone adjustment, but rarely requires service because of the oversized chromium ball bearings, galvanized cups and proper design which allows water to drain out of the bearings to the outside. It's only limitations seem to be the added pound or so of weight and the 1/2" pedal threading that practically rules out clipless pedal use. The steel chainrings are patented and shift extremely well even with modern narrower (even 9s) chain, and last forever.

Post a picture or three when you can!
Old 04-19-19, 11:18 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Originally Posted by dddd
"Varsinental" models WORLD'S GREATEST KICKSTAND
wrong side, I know, but only pic I had of this old "V" handy

Old 04-19-19, 11:19 AM
rumrunn6

I haven't gotten to the point of having multiple bare frames or anything like that. All my bikes are complete even if they're not high-end or anything like that. I know I could probably save some money and get a really great bike for riding on roads, MUPS etc, but I'm pretty satisfied with what I have and just don't feel like shelling out new bike money right now & I'll look around and see what kind of bike stand I can find
oh & this one has been pretty good for me for the past 3 yrs

Last edited by rumrunn6; 04-19-19 at 12:52 PM.
Old 04-19-19, 11:35 AM
Hudson308 
Mr. Anachronism

Bikes: fillet-brazed Chicago Schwinns, and some other stuff

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 526 Post(s)
Liked 256 Times in 165 Posts
wrong side, I know, but only pic I had of this old "V" handy

That's actually the "proper" side to photograph on a bike!
Old 04-19-19, 12:49 PM
rumrunn6

Originally Posted by Hudson308
That's actually the "proper" side to photograph on a bike!
hehe I know, nice catch, but I wanted to show off the kickstand ..
Old 04-19-19, 06:02 PM
Deal4Fuji
minimalist cyclist

hehe I know, nice catch, but I wanted to show off the kickstand ..
Here ya go, I'm pretty happy with my world's greatest kickstand painted black

Old 04-19-19, 11:02 PM
rumrunn6

Originally Posted by Deal4Fuji
kickstand painted black
Old 04-20-19, 02:23 PM
WilliamK1974

Sorry to take so long, but here's mine:

1973 according to the serial#. Unfortunately, I lost one of the shifter downtubes, but was able to make a downtube from the cable kit sold at Walmart. That downtube could still resurface, so I'll keep looking for it. I did replace the one closest to the RD as that seems to be an area under high tension. I'm curious about the water bottle cage. There are also add-on hangers for a long-vanished pump. I'll probably remove them. I'll soon strip and bathe the frame, clean the chrome and give the bearings a service.
Old 04-22-19, 06:15 AM
Deal4Fuji
minimalist cyclist

Good pics, it's not in too bad of shape. Very curious water bottle cage...home-made? I don't remember ever seeing those color matching brake lever "grips" before. Keep updating us as you make improvements.
Old 04-22-19, 06:34 AM
BobbyG

Bikes: 2015 Charge Plug, 2007 Dahon Boardwalk, 1997 Nishiki Blazer, 1984 Nishiki International, 2006 Felt F65, 1989 Dahon Getaway V

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1364 Post(s)
Liked 1,677 Times in 827 Posts
I'll say one thing in favor of the Varsinental frames -- they don't break.
YMMV. I bought an Varsity for $25 back in 1993 to tinker with instead of my commuter. Athough there was no surface rust, after a few weeks the bottom tube disconnected from the head tube while I was riding. The bike did not immediately collapse. The downtube stayed within a half inch of its position.

I don't know if that's a tribute to the frame's weakness or strength.

Had I known then what I know now (thanks to BF) I may have tried again with another one.
Old 04-22-19, 06:35 AM
WilliamK1974

Originally Posted by Deal4Fuji
Good pics, it's not in too bad of shape. Very curious water bottle cage...home-made? I don't remember ever seeing those color matching brake lever "grips" before. Keep updating us as you make improvements.
The water bottle cage says Made in Japan on it. But I don't recall ever seeing anything like that on another bike. Must be a product of its time.

Now, did I read another thread that said I could find a three-ring crankset that would mount to the existing Ashtabula crank? Would that require a new FD? I kind of want to keep the existing crank hardware for ease of maintenance, also to save a little $.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.