Notices
Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

Introduce Yourselves!

Old 02-10-19, 10:17 PM
ChuckD6421 

Bikes: 2013 Trek Domane 5.2; 1986 Cannondale R800

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by fullergarrett
I've been on the Bike Forums but for a little while, but I'm new to the Clydesdale forum. My name, obviously, is Garrett.

In short, I'm 320-330 pounds (I don't currently own a scale, but I've been staying within that range for a while now.) I am 5'11" and 19 years old. Heart problems run in my family (both on my paternal and maternal sides) and family members/close friends have been trying to get me to exercise more.

I've been riding a bike for most of my life, although there was a time where I quit after I got my drivers license. Before then, I rode either my 1987 Free Spirit Pinnacle 12-speed or Huffy Superia around town to get out or go visit a friend, etc. Since I lived in a town that the Katy Trail ran right through, I often would get on it and ride for a few hours. There was a time where I was riding a bike every day for at least a couple hours, depending on the weather.

One of the biggest issues I have is - and I hate publicly saying this out of fear of humiliating myself - but I don't eat vegetables or fruits. Like a stubborn little kid, I hate them - I'm a very picky eater. I never eat them, which has made my goal of loosing weight somewhat more difficult.

Recently, I'm hoping to get back into shape and "hop back onto the bike." I recently purchased a 2016 Giant Sedona and have been trying to ride even in the winter (I've been posting somewhat frequently on a topic I started in the winter biking forums here.) Unfortunately, it's been so nasty and icy lately here that I have rarely had a chance to hop on the bike for a spin lately.

My goal is to get from 320 pounds to 250 pounds or below.
Welcome Garrett!
So what about the rest of your diet?
Seek out and then cut out any products with High Fructose Corn Syrup. Yes, it's bad for you. Any other opinion typically comes from someone with a financial interest in it or corn, of a specific product containing it
Knock off all the soft drinks. I'm a big fan of the V8 Fusion juices which are an extension of sorts to their also good vegetable juices but mostly fruits. It makes vegetables and fruit alot more easy to do. I usually drink it in a lot of ice and some water.
Those are two actions that will have a big impact.
Old 02-10-19, 11:18 PM
fullergarrett
"Broke College Student"

Bikes: 2016 Giant Sedona, 1987 Free Spirit Pinnacle

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by ChuckD6421
Welcome Garrett!
So what about the rest of your diet?
Seek out and then cut out any products with High Fructose Corn Syrup. Yes, it's bad for you. Any other opinion typically comes from someone with a financial interest in it or corn, of a specific product containing it
Knock off all the soft drinks. I'm a big fan of the V8 Fusion juices which are an extension of sorts to their also good vegetable juices but mostly fruits. It makes vegetables and fruit alot more easy to do. I usually drink it in a lot of ice and some water.
Those are two actions that will have a big impact.
Probably the biggest thing that I have a problem with is... soda. This last fall I was able to cut almost all of my soda consumption (went from six or so cans down to one or two a day) but unfortunately that didn't stick. I'm back to where I started. :-( I noticed during that period I was losing some weight, especially since I was riding my bike on a daily basis at the same time. The temptation was too great to drink soda - it's addictive like a drug.

I was drinking water with Crystal Light packs, mostly the basic lemonade but there were some times where I'd change it up or get the caffeinated packs.

As for the rest of what I eat, it depends. I eat out quite often because I try to avoid the dining hall food and all I have right now is a microwave. A friend who does cook in her room suggested investing in a CrockPot or slow cooker to cook my own meals. Our dorm building also has a (just one) kitchenette, but I've never used it as it seems dirty and always smells like the person who previously used it caught something on fire and walked away.

From a financial standpoint, I've been trying to cut back on eating out less to save money - but my options are limited unless I go to the dining hall. I'm trying to get into an on-campus apartment next year where I can actually cook my own meals from my own kitchenette. Until then, I may invest in a slow cooker to cook my own meals like Hamburger Helper, spaghetti, etc.

Any suggestions would be appreciated as to how I can get into better shape. Should I break this out into its own thread?
Old 02-13-19, 08:20 AM
bikecopp

Bikes: Rivendell Hunqapillar

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 1 Post
Probably the biggest thing that I have a problem with is... soda. This last fall I was able to cut almost all of my soda consumption (went from six or so cans down to one or two a day) but unfortunately that didn't stick. I'm back to where I started. :-( I noticed during that period I was losing some weight, especially since I was riding my bike on a daily basis at the same time. The temptation was too great to drink soda - it's addictive like a drug.

I was drinking water with Crystal Light packs, mostly the basic lemonade but there were some times where I'd change it up or get the caffeinated packs.

As for the rest of what I eat, it depends. I eat out quite often because I try to avoid the dining hall food and all I have right now is a microwave. A friend who does cook in her room suggested investing in a CrockPot or slow cooker to cook my own meals. Our dorm building also has a (just one) kitchenette, but I've never used it as it seems dirty and always smells like the person who previously used it caught something on fire and walked away.

From a financial standpoint, I've been trying to cut back on eating out less to save money - but my options are limited unless I go to the dining hall. I'm trying to get into an on-campus apartment next year where I can actually cook my own meals from my own kitchenette. Until then, I may invest in a slow cooker to cook my own meals like Hamburger Helper, spaghetti, etc.

Any suggestions would be appreciated as to how I can get into better shape. Should I break this out into its own thread?
Go to a thrift store and pick up a george foreman grill. You can use it in you room or the kitchenette. I bought two slices of salmon like this for 6.80 at publix. Ill get two meals out of them. I cook the fish and vegetables at the same time. 7 minutes. Drink lemon water. You have to cut out the sugar.
Old 02-13-19, 10:10 PM
fullergarrett
"Broke College Student"

Bikes: 2016 Giant Sedona, 1987 Free Spirit Pinnacle

Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
I'm thinking about picking up an inexpensive slow cooker (or Crock Pot) from Walmart soon and using it to cook meals. Right now I'm eating out way too much, which isn't good for my health or bank account.

I'm also thinking about splitting this into a separate post, so that I don't derail this one.
Old 03-16-19, 05:06 PM
GrolarBear

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Paul L.
201 and 6'1"

Here is me and my ride. Was down below 190 for awhile there until I took a month off to nurse my back and the weight shot above 200 again and hasn't come back down yet.
I've been on the Bike Forums but for a little while, but I'm new to the Clydesdale forum. My name, obviously, is Garrett.

In short, I'm 320-330 pounds (I don't currently own a scale, but I've been staying within that range for a while now.) I am 5'11" and 19 years old. Heart problems run in my family (both on my paternal and maternal sides) and family members/close friends have been trying to get me to exercise more.

I've been riding a bike for most of my life, although there was a time where I quit after I got my drivers license. Before then, I rode either my 1987 Free Spirit Pinnacle 12-speed or Huffy Superia around town to get out or go visit a friend, etc. Since I lived in a town that the Katy Trail ran right through, I often would get on it and ride for a few hours. There was a time where I was riding a bike every day for at least a couple hours, depending on the weather.

One of the biggest issues I have is - and I hate publicly saying this out of fear of humiliating myself - but I don't eat vegetables or fruits. Like a stubborn little kid, I hate them - I'm a very picky eater. I never eat them, which has made my goal of loosing weight somewhat more difficult.

Recently, I'm hoping to get back into shape and "hop back onto the bike." I recently purchased a 2016 Giant Sedona and have been trying to ride even in the winter (I've been posting somewhat frequently on a topic I started in the winter biking forums here.) Unfortunately, it's been so nasty and icy lately here that I have rarely had a chance to hop on the bike for a spin lately.

My goal is to get from 320 pounds to 250 pounds or below.

Vegetables aren't a huge deal (I will say this and leave it alone- I feel like people that say things like that about a whole class of food are just fussing before trying and/or have never had them done right, but that probably doesn't help here). Vegetables aren't going to make or break a diet, though they are something that you can mostly eat without really worrying about it. OTOH, vegetarians that like eating/food often have problems keeping from getting fat. Your biggest concern is to control carbohydrate intake, mostly in the form of sugar. There are strong arguments against artificial sweeteners (the only one that I don't feel has negative overall stevia, but since it's a natural herb it's hard to find stuff made with it, there isn't the profit margin in herbs/natural), but if your choice is to backslide on the sodas or have one with artificial sweeteners I'd go with the diet (you need to learn to get them out of your diet. I know it's hard, I try to limit diet soda to 1 a day and as a mixer if I'm going to have a drink.

I think you need to learn some about nutrition (and not what the government tells us which is totally wrong)- your crockpot idea will likely fail for 2 reasons: 1- the kinds of things you're talking about making (hamburger helper, spaghetti...) are loaded in carbs and not enough protein, 2- they and most crockpot recipes are a large number of servings. If you don't have a kitchen you likely don't have the refrigerator space to make a week's worth of meals in advance and store them. If you do have storage space what you could make in a crock pot that would work is things like whole chicken...

The George Forman Grill is a great idea but might be a problem with your roommates: a crock pot might fill your dorm with tasty food smells, a GFG will fill it will grilling/burning smell that will linger longer.

Why are you trying to stay away from dininghall food?

FWIW, this is coming from someone that lost >100# 14 years ago and has kept the bodyfat off (not quite the weight, but that was on purpose, I'll explain in my coming introduction). If you want to start a dedicated thread feel free to send me a link and I'll try to help. Feel free to PM me questions also, but a thread will get input from more people.
Old 03-18-19, 09:01 AM
amchef

Bikes: Felt Z3, Rocky Mountain Vertex 950

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
@fullergarrett

There is no magic wand. You can't live on sugar -- soda, Crystal Light -- and skip what should be the bulk -- no pun intended -- of what you should be eating, which is stuff that comes off trees and vines and from the ground.

"Picky eating" is a copout. It's like the celiac mania going around -- a small percentage of the population is intolerant but it's become a cottage industry. You gotta step up. Look, amigo, I'm a clyde so I can empathize. It also means you're not gonna get a lot of hollow hugs. This stuff is hard to do. My miles are going up but my weight isn't going down in proportion because it's not linear. I still need to make more lifestyle changes. You have to keep good, lean protein at the center of your intake, then fill out the larger ring with legumes and other stuff you say you don't like. It's the only way. I'm (still) living proof that wishing it away is folly.

Talk to your primary care physician and see if he/she wouldn't mind monitoring your food intake and PORTIONS via photos; probably someone on staff who does this. Find a friend who will give you tough love. And for the other side of the coin -- riding -- get online, talk to your LBS about finding people with whom to ride. Some people are focused and anti-social; I do much better riding with like-minded people. Peer pressure is a good thing.

Good luck
Old 03-20-19, 04:04 AM
phile

Bikes: van moof dropdown, btwin triban 100

Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked 30 Times in 10 Posts
hello.

i just joined the forum, mainly to lurk and hopefully sponge up some info. Had a physically demanding job which kept my weight in check(ish) but recently got an office job and i definitely put on the pounds. Since i live in the netherlands my main mode of transportation is bike, at first had a regular city bike (van moof drop dow, coaster brakes, single speed) and last week bought my first road bike ( btwin triban 100 and added a rear rack). on teh city bike i enjoyed taking long rides out to neighboring cities, but i wanted to do longer rides on a better suited bike. hope to be doing a 100km ride to antwerp in about 2 weeks and this weekend doign test ride to the hague to see how long it takes me on this bike.
Old 04-05-19, 02:26 PM
escapefoot

Bikes: rockhopper

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I posted in community already but thought I would say "hi" here as well

I am an old clydesdale from Canada.

Back in the early 1990s I was quite an active mtber, after a few decades of being a slack ass its time to start up again.

Dug out my old steel frame Specialized rockhopper ....

Time to start living the lifestyle again

Peace, beer and good pizza
Old 04-05-19, 05:29 PM
psychling78
Old school MAMIL

Bikes: 1997 Cannondale CAAD2 R300, Late 80s Bill Davidson Touring bike, 2012 Trek Wahoo 29er MTB, Trek Sporttrack Tandem

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Introductions

Hey, I ride a Cannondale CAAD2 R300 on the road, a sweet Davidson touring rig for commuting and touring, and a VERY old school Specialized Rockhopper hardtail on the trails! I'm 5'10 and 215, wishing I could be 185 again. The pounds don't come off so easily when you hit 50.
Old 04-15-19, 02:23 PM
Loc123

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
52 years old 243lbs. Need to drop some weight. 43lbs would be great but 53lbs is goal. Got a salsa vaya and going to try to ride 3x week. Ed some nutrition help or meal plan help.
Old 04-21-19, 10:23 AM
rodgeman

Bikes: 2019 Salsa TimberJack

Liked 23 Times in 13 Posts
Hi. I am 6'3" 320lbs. I ride a 2012 Specilized Sirrus. Just got back into riding after 20 years. Mainly recreation and to loose weight.
Old 05-03-19, 10:22 AM
tonih

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi, my name is Toni and I haven't been on a bike in almost 20 years. I am 5'5 and around 330lbs. I went to my LBS and they recommended a cruiser. From my initial research online and in store I am considering a Del Sol Shoreliner or a Specialized Roll Low-Entry. I just found this forum today and really, what a relief. Ease of getting on and off, upright posture, and bike weight (I live on the second floor of a walk up) are important. I have also just started looking at Day 6, not sure if I can afford that right now. Any suggestions would be appreciated. I'm having a hard time finding weight limits for the bikes.
Old 05-13-19, 03:56 PM
bay_nikki

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi, I'm nikki and I haven't ridden a bike in over 30 years. I'm 5'6" and 275. I've had 8 abdominal surgeries in recent years, so my ability to do any physical activity is somewhat limited, but a physical therapist suggested cycling more for my knees than for anything else. I live in the Bay Area and am hoping someone has a recommendation for a body-positive bike shop. All I know so far is that I need a bike that's lightweight, because I don't have the strength for lifting/hauling a heavy bike around - and at least initially, all my riding will be fairly short rides in local empty industrial parks or along paved park trails, so I don't need anything fancy, but I will need to be able to get my bike on and off a rack on my car. And lacking the flexibility I had when I was younger, I want the kind of bike that's easy to step onto. Thanks for any advice!
Old 05-24-19, 05:35 AM
Jac of Hearts

Bikes: 2012 Trek Dual Sport 8.5 Gary Fisher Collection

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 77 Times in 46 Posts
I posted this in the general intros but have modified it to include weight info.

Hi I'm Jac Grimes from Greensboro, NC. I'm 65 years old and have ridden MTBs for years along with a stent on a recumbent but have not been on a bike for about 20 years until last May. I have always been a Clyde but that is a new term for me. In 2011 I reached a high of 368 and am currently at 280ish on the way down to 250 by summer's end. I am 5'7".

So here's my return to the saddle story. Last May when I dropped below 300 lbs I decided to start riding again. I bought a 2009 Gary Fisher Mako from a friend. I brought it home and just barely made it around my apartment complex. That's 0.3 of a mile. I thought I was going to die. I changed the seat, put some bar ends on it and persisted. At the end of the riding season I was regularly riding 5 to 6 miles. Not too bad for a fat boy on a mountain bike.

As my friend got ready to leave the state he sold me a better although older bike. I liked it but the frame was just too big. (Short legs). So it went on marketplace and craigslist and I ended up trading for a smaller frame bike of about equal value. I liked it a lot but the smaller frame felt crowded. I never could get comfortable. So I sold it to my son in law.

After 2 false stars I started researching new bikes. I figured I would get one I liked that fit and sell the 1st one. So off to Trek of Greensboro for a couple test rides. I looked at 2 hybrids, a DS2 and a Verge and a mountain bike, Marlin 5 and decided on the Marlin but a 6. It was a close call between the Marlin and the DS. So I ordered one on Friday and was told it would be a week. So I posted the Mako on my FB page and sold it yesterday to another friend and professional colleague.

Just for some perspective you must understand that FaceBook marketplace is the devil. Since I had made my decision wouldn't you know that a much better equipped like new hybrid, DS 8.5 popped up on my feed. For $100 less than the new Marlin 6 I had ordered. But did I really want a hybrid or a MTB? The seller and I started chatting and just as I had decided to pass he said he was leaving town tomorrow and dropped the price a $100 if I would buy it today. I'm now $200 back of a new Marlin and the DS 8.5 had everything I was sure I couldn't afford. So off to Raleigh to look at it.

Well if was everything I wanted and it was almost brand new despite being a 2012 model. I got her home, rode her 5 miles and couldn't be happier. A different seat, bar ends and kickstand and I'm all set.

Here's the weird part of the story. All 4 bikes are Gary Fishers. The bikes were a Mako, a Hoo Koo E Koo, a Montaire and the new one is a Gary Fisher collection by Trek. I guess my stars are aligned with GF.

I cancelled the order on the Marlin and now having the DS for a couple weeks I'm really glad I found her.

I've set a new ride goal and a new weight goal. Stay tuned.

Happy to be here and I'll be hanging out here, in Hybrids and with the Over 65 crowd.
Old 06-02-19, 09:46 AM
MatSta

Bikes: Bromton S2L, Specialized Sirrus X Carbon Comp, Gary Fisher Nirvana, old steel Radonneur bike.

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Hello, I’m new here

New here, but not new to bicycling. Up until my late thirties I biked a lot. Around town as well as on longer holiday trips. Then I became lazy, long daily commutes and too long workdays to ride regularily. I have always kept my bikes in good condition but used them a lot less.

Six years ago I spoiled myself with a Brompton to use on my many trips to foreign cities. Turns out this was a clever move, I ride this bike a lot more than I expected.

About a year ago I began excercising with some regularity for the first time in my adult life. And I’ve started to cycle for fitness. And it’s good for my health. And fun too.

I’ve lost some weight in the last year (15 kilos), but still have to get rid of more. Losing another 10-25 kilos would be awesome and I hope this forum will contribute with some inspiration.
Likes For MatSta:
Old 06-02-19, 10:00 AM
Aahzz

Bikes: '17 Trek FX2, '19 Trek FX 3 Disc

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked 214 Times in 87 Posts
Welcome!!
Old 06-04-19, 05:07 PM
OmniZealous

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Hey everyone! New here.

I used to bike a lot as an adolescent, but after I was hit by a car when I was 16 I stopped.

Just recently got back into it because my wife is really into bike riding. Currently, 6ft 5in being 29yo at 350lbs and I ride a Trek Emonda 5 carbon fiber.

Have done RAGBRAI the past 4 years, and plan on doing it again this year.
Likes For OmniZealous:
Old 06-06-19, 08:13 PM
jeneralist 

Bikes: DOST Kope CVT e-bike; Bilenky Ti Tourlite

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 66 Times in 23 Posts
Returning to the forums after about 3.5 years.

First started hanging out here in late 2009. Started out sucking wind to ride 8 flat miles; got to the point where I was taking week-long, 350+ mile cycling vacations for a few summers in a row. Last time I did something like that was 2015.

Things went kerflooey in early 2016. Had sudden, very severe, knee pain. Couldn't even ride 8 flat miles anymore -- not a matter of sucking wind, but my knees couldn't push the bike along, even in "granny" gear. Things got worse until one day in summer 2016 when I needed to walk backwards down stairs to leave the house to get to a doctor's appointment.

Eventually, found medicines that helped me with what turned out to be rheumatoid arthritis. Spent a while having my husband drive me to work; then started feeling well enough that I could commute on an e-bike.

Now I'm just starting to ride under my own power again -- up to eleven miles on a towpath near my house. And this week I rode my bike to my rheumatologist's office!

So I'm starting to poke my nose back into the Forums. I may spend more time over on 50+ than here -- I feel more creaky than large, even though I've regained 35+ pounds since my knees let me know, very definitively, that Something Was Wrong.
Old 06-17-19, 11:09 AM
Tre Free

Bikes: Trek FX2 Sport

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
6'3" 340

Hello all,

I'm a big rider, former college football player using cycling to get fit. Already lost 10 pounds. One thing I have noticed is that if I cycle for 2 hours I lose my appetite for about 24 hours so my eating is being kept in check naturally!
Likes For Tre Free:
Old 07-12-19, 12:38 PM
Ckauf92

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Introduction

Hello everyone.

I am a former MMA fighter who has recently taken up cycling this past Memorial Day weekend. I am currently 350 lbs (down 10 from Memorial Day weekend), standing at 6'6". When I was fighting I would walk at 280 and then cut to 265 for MMA and 225 for BJJ and would like to get back down to this weight.

Originally my only goal was weight-loss, but this isn't the case now. So I have decided to finally introduce myself, as have begun to feel like an actual cyclist instead of someone who is using biking to lose weight. As of last night, I have ridden 250 miles; with my longest ever ride being last night (20 miles at 15+ mph).

Thanks!
Old 07-15-19, 07:16 PM
Ruthless

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Old

I'm old and overweight, that's not the reason I started riding again. I need to be on a bike, listen to the cadence, just moving along. Dont have anyone else to ride with. That's ok. I'll start with simple little dirt track that end on a paved road. That's were I need to be. Call it a girl thing, i just cant decide which bike to ride on. Told ya it's a girl thing.
Old 07-20-19, 05:22 PM
Bearly sane

Bikes: 1990-93 Diamond Back Outlook, rigid, 1x6

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Hello everyone, Father Time is starting to smack me upside the head. I've started to get old & heavy, knees are aching, high blood pressure. Every morning I wake up all stiff (and not in that good Viagra way). All that "getting older sucks" crap.

Decided to start riding a bike again, I think it's a form of exercise that I'll be able to stick with. I've stopped buying fast food and only have one Coke a day. Try and give my weight bench 10 minutes of attention every day.

I've started seeing some positive results, I'm down to 215 now. Not as winded as I was. I've lost 7+ lbs in a bit over a month so far, not too bad.
Old 07-21-19, 07:26 AM
mpp

Bikes: 2016 CAAD12 Disc 105

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 2 Posts
Hi all! I picked up a Peloton spin bike back in January and loved it. As spring weather hit, I started running outdoors more, alternating with the Peloton. Picked up a CAAD12 Disc 105 a month ago as a way to enjoy the weather and the scenery. Ended up getting hooked really, really quickly. Just picked up a used Diverge Comp gravel bike to be able to ride some local trails. Enjoying every minute of it.

Last edited by mpp; 07-21-19 at 08:50 AM.
Old 07-31-19, 03:51 PM
iflyskyhigh

Bikes: 2002 Serotta Legend Ti

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Afternoon

Just sitting here sweating my ass off in AZ and stumbled across this forum while looking for answers to burning questions.

I'm 6-04 and 228 pounds. I could probably be 10 pounds lighter if I starved myself, but I love BBQ so that's not gonna happen.

I ride 3-5 days week, maybe 100-150 miles on a custom built 2002 Serotta Legend Ti with the original Campagnolo Record 10 (albeit several cassettes, chains, and wheel sets later).

My old ass, but awesome bike is part of what brought me here. I'm trying to decide between a pretty major component upgrade or whole bike replacement. Not really a replacement cause I'm never getting rid of the Serotta, but more of a new addition. (to which forum should I direct this discussion?)

Bikes for big guys have come a long way in the past 17 years so I'm hoping if I go that route there will be some input to be had here.
Old 07-31-19, 07:34 PM
ChuckD6421 

Bikes: 2013 Trek Domane 5.2; 1986 Cannondale R800

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by iflyskyhigh
Just sitting here sweating my ass off in AZ and stumbled across this forum while looking for answers to burning questions.

I'm 6-04 and 228 pounds. I could probably be 10 pounds lighter if I starved myself, but I love BBQ so that's not gonna happen.

I ride 3-5 days week, maybe 100-150 miles on a custom built 2002 Serotta Legend Ti with the original Campagnolo Record 10 (albeit several cassettes, chains, and wheel sets later).

My old ass, but awesome bike is part of what brought me here. I'm trying to decide between a pretty major component upgrade or whole bike replacement. Not really a replacement cause I'm never getting rid of the Serotta, but more of a new addition. (to which forum should I direct this discussion?)

Bikes for big guys have come a long way in the past 17 years so I'm hoping if I go that route there will be some input to be had here.
Hi sky, welcome. And welcome to the others recently who found us and didn't get a proper welcome.

Your bike was built not far from where I live.

If you ride with decent form, that Serotta should be fine, even if it's got race wheels. I'm 6'1" now trending down toward 220 and have been riding a 2013 Trek Domane 5.2 for the past several years. This bike came with 24 spokes in the rear and 18 in the front and I put several thousand miles on paved rural roads before I built up another pair of wheels, mostly because I prefer tubulars. A large amount of that time I was actually pushing 240 nekkid. Throwing on all the winter gear needed for a Northeast winter I was probably well into 250 pounds. Did that many times.

Key will be (assuming proper frame fit which for you is probably 60" to 62") how you ride it. As I've said here before, ride light on it, meaning when you can't avoid bumps, get your arse up off the seat and make sure you're weight is centered fore-to-aft and on your pedals.

(The following may be known to you already, but I'm putting it here for others as well. I've built a lot of wheels including the all the ones I raced, toured and commuted on with 0 failures and very little tweaking once built).

Also make sure your spokes are evenly tensioned. If it were me, I'd first pluck each one like a guitar string and see if any seem way "out of tune" (Sheldon Brown has a page on musically tensioning a wheel). If you get a wide range of tones I'd loosen up each spoke till it separates from the nipple, swipe it with some grease and thread it back on a known number of turns (3 or 4). After you've done one revolution of the wheel (start at the valve opening so you remember where you started), then start turning them down a turn or two till you've made another rotation around the wheel, assess their tightness, and continue again a single turn to each and go on till you they're about right. At that point you can either use a spoke tension gauge, or go back to Sheldon's page for the musical notes you should be shooting for (remember the drive side spokes on the rear wheel are tighter than the non-drive side). Consistent spoke tension is critical to wheel strength. Once you've evened up the tension then start the actual truing. Since rims are not perfectly true to begin with, once you've then finished truing them you'll end up with some variation in tension, but at least you've started from even ground and the variations shouldn't be to radical. If you do find you need to overly tighten or loosen spokes, you should probably be looking to replace the rim.
Likes For ChuckD6421:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.