Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Utility Cycling
Reload this Page >

Ultimate Cargo Bike

Search
Notices
Utility Cycling Want to haul groceries, beer, maybe even your kids? You don't have to live car free to put your bike to use as a workhorse. Here's the place to share and learn about the bicycle as a utility vehicle.

Ultimate Cargo Bike

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-07, 08:57 AM
le brad

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mstrpete
Stoke Monkey? Or is that cheating?
Cheating! You're banned from even viewing the forum.
Old 07-24-07, 09:39 AM
wahoonc
Membership Not Required

Bikes: Giant Excursion, Raleigh Sports, Raleigh R.S.W. Compact, Motobecane? and about 20 more! OMG

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 14 Posts
Originally Posted by Bekologist
This is by no means the 'ultimate' cargo bike, but it sure did serve me well for over a decade. The biggest Wald basket available in front, paperboy wald baskets in the back.6 speed drivetrain for hillclimbing.

Used it enough to actually break the front basket from fatigue, replaced it with same HD Wald basket. Sad to say I snapped the frame last year and need to recreate it with a new cruiser frame.

I had been thinking of reinforcing the stays and making a big platform for the back baskets that could be installed when needed, to haul a LOT of bulky stuff.
Bekologist,
To me that is the American version of the bakfiets...and a lot cheaper too I am going to get an "oude bakfiets" eventually. For the interim I will be "building" up a grocery getter similar to yours. I plan on using the Schwinn Classic 3 as the base bike then bolting the Wald baskets on it. The xtracycle has it's place but it isn't for all people or all uses. Another item to remember is that the bakfiets comes from the Netherlands where the total elevation range is about 320 meters total, with most of it basically flat so the bakefiets worked quite well. Here in the US the terrain can be quite a bit more varied. From the Appalacians, to the flat Midwest to the Rockies. FWIW the area I currently live in has rolling hills and a single speed bike is murder. The town we are planning on moving to is flat, as in a total elevation loss/gain of less than 50 feet anywhere in the town limits, a bakefiets will work fine there. Also the bakefiets now come with multi speed internal gear hubs but you pay the price.

Have you looked into having the frame repaired? It looks to be steel. I broke a frame on my Schwinn Heavy Duty years ago and it was replaced under the lifetime warranty...those were the days

Aaron

ISO: A late 1980's Giant Iguana MTB frameset (or complete bike) 23" Red with yellow graphics.

"Cycling should be a way of life, not a hobby.
RIDE, YOU FOOL, RIDE!"
_Nicodemus

"Steel: nearly a thousand years of metallurgical development
Aluminum: barely a hundred
Which one would you rather have under your butt at 30mph?"
_krazygluon
Old 07-24-07, 10:21 AM
makeinu
Banned

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
This isn't a task for a small shop, but it would be really great to have a tandem pedicab that combines power like a tandem. Then me and my wife could haul bus loads of people at a time on the weekends.
Old 07-24-07, 11:35 AM
Allen

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts
I've recently put a new hub on my cargo bike, a NuVinci CVT (continuous variable transmission) hub. I've found that some of the less expensive internal hubs are not up to the rigors of a utility bike. So far it's impressed me as much my Rohloff at 1/4 the cost. It's huge and would not necessary be appropriate on many bikes, but for cargo and utility bikes I think it may very well be the best "bang for the buck" of all the internal hubs.

Old 07-24-07, 11:36 AM
Cosmoline
Biscuit Boy

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've been experimenting with ways of hauling things for the past year, and I have a few observations.

--Big front baskets are great, except when you actually start putting a lot of weight in them. If you're buying nothing but bread it's not a big deal, but when you put over 20, 30 or more lbs up front the balance on most bikes starts going off. You can have a reverse trike, with two wheels up front. But this then limits the praticality of the bicycle for other functions. The key may be to design a two wheeled bicycle that has a frame designed to accept heavy loads up front, but lower down towards the center of gravity.

--On a diamond frame bike, there's a magic zone for weight carrying inside the diamond. The further behind or in front you get, the greater the leverage on the frame from the cargo and the more it impacts balance. In the old days folks used to take advantage of this space a lot more, but recent bike design has attempted to eliminate it or discard the diamond completely. A bike that EXPANDED the diamond and created cargo carrying capacity underneath the rider, without blocking knee room, would be interesting.

--Bicycles can be incredibly strong, and even mid-range factory bikes can carry over 400 lbs on a regular basis with some minor modifications. Assuming a rider of 220, this leaves a great deal of room for cargo. But the key is to center the cargo's weight where the rider's weight would be. The easiest way is probably to just wear a backpack, but this interferes with cycling and vision. One thing I've been thinking about is a sort of tandem bike where the spot for the second rider is used to hold cargo.

Anyway, just some thoughts. I'll add more later.
Old 07-28-07, 09:37 AM
johann

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Doug5150
Overall I prefer the bakfiets-style (the long-johns).

....The problem with the delivery bike pictured is that the cargo floor (inside the basket) isn't as low as it could be, and if you need to carry anything heavy, it's best to carry it as low as you can get it.

....The Xtracycles don't impress me much because while it definitely does add cargo capacity, it's very odd-shaped capacity. ....... Consider for one short moment, how much of your time those straps are going to take up, and you realize why it's best to have a big deep basket you can just toss things in and ride away.
~
I think you have to consider where you are using the bike... try jumping onto a curb with a bakfiets (or a trike). Maybe something like a Burrows Great 8?
Old 07-28-07, 10:46 AM
Doug5150

Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by johann
I think you have to consider where you are using the bike... try jumping onto a curb with a bakfiets (or a trike). Maybe something like a Burrows Great 8?
In my country adults aren't supposed to ride bicycles on the sidewalk, and I rarely ever do.
~
Old 07-28-07, 05:44 PM
SingingSabre 
BF's Level 12 Wizard

Bikes: Diamondback Sorrento turned Xtracycle commuter

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Doug5150
....The Xtracycles don't impress me much because while it definitely does add cargo capacity, it's very odd-shaped capacity. The long-johns with their big open boxes on the front would seem to be far more convenient for just tossing stuff in. I want a bike with baskets that I can just toss stuff in and go! Having to strap stuff on is a pain. If you use a bike to carry a lot, you're going to be strapping and unstrapping things to and from it hundreds of times, perhaps thousands of times. Consider for one short moment, how much of your time those straps are going to take up, and you realize why it's best to have a big deep basket you can just toss things in and ride away.
Well, if the long-john works for you.

I think it really depends on what you're needing to haul, how far the haul is, and what terrain you'll be covering. I have one buckle on my Xtracycle I mess with to carry my stuff and secure my backpack into the bag. Even that one strap is really unncessary.

However, I am riding at least 10 miles each way up varying terrain, 99% of the time with a climb where I have to go to my 2nd front ring and 3rd rear just to get a decent spin.

If I were in the business of delivering stuff and needing to constantly pack and unpack over 10 stops in 5 miles with flat terrain, the long-john would be suitable. I'm not, though. I need to haul stuff far and at a decent pace (I'm a busy man, what can I say?).

I also utilize the pouches inside the bags. I have a patch kit, pump, CO2 cartridges, spare tube (I'm redundant...deal with it!), dork vest, wrenches and tools (only a couple), and my U-lock (OnGuard Bulldog) all in one pouch. I still have room on it for firedancing gear (fire staff, poi, torches, glow staff, fuel, practice staff if I'm feeling frisky), my backpack including my laptop, my camera (another backpack with a DSLR, 3 lenses, and a flash), and a tripod. I'm sure I could carry more, but I just don't have anything else to load! This load on my Xtracycle will take me about 40 minutes to get 10 miles in fairly flat terrain (a couple mild climbs).

For me, the Xtracycle is the ne plus ultra for its sheer versatility and how it is out of the way when not in use. For you, it may be different, but I just wanted to give my input.
Vanity
Originally Posted by Bklyn
Obviously, the guy's like a 12th level white wizard or something. His mere presence is a danger to mortals.
Old 07-29-07, 02:42 AM
Frankenbiker
Slow ride, take it easy -

Location: Corn, corn, corn, corn, corn, corn, soybean, corn fields of Illinois

Bikes: 98 Mongoose Cambridge with Xtracycle

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
+1 for the Xtracycle. I have been very happy with its flexibility in hauling stuff over the past several years. Everything from groceries to bags of manure and the kitchen sink have been loaded on my bike. Last December I added a lockable/removable/water tight motorcycle trunk so I can store things relatively securely on the bike. See sig. Yesterday's grocery run saw me carry a hot, broiled chicken from the deli and three pounds of squishible table grapes in the trunk along with eight bags of groceries in the side pockets.
Old 07-29-07, 12:33 PM
Bushman
Grumbly Goat

Bikes: bicycles with round wheels

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
im going to buy a used mountain tandem, and convert to a cargo bike by making the rear stoker area into a huge rack system, most likely with custom cargo boxes on each side
Old 07-29-07, 07:54 PM
bicyclerider1

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I only have a Miami Sun trike modified to pull my Home Depot garden card (1,000 pounds capacity) to haul my stuff.
Old 07-29-07, 07:56 PM
Sianelle 
Sister Annie

Bikes: Retro Hercules adult tricycle, 1953 Hercules ladies roadster, 1950s Wearwell fixed gear 'Club' pathracer, 1980s Malvern Star 'Super Star', 1980s Healing GTX-105 Arabesque, 1980's Morrison Concorde & etc & etc.......

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
This what I used for well over a year to haul allsorts of silly loads.....

It's an old gents Raleigh fitted with a tricycle axle and 20inch wheels on the rear. The Raleigh itself was found down at the rubbish tip and the axle was purchased from a business that sold custom parts for lowrider bicycles. In the end I managed to sheer the drive and bend the axle, but that was my own silly fault for overloading the poor old thing.

Cheers,

Annie
OMNIPOTENS aeterne Deus, qui nos secundum imaginem Tuam plasmasti, et omnia bona, vera, pulchra, praesertim in divina persona Unigeniti Filii Tui Domini nostri Iesu Christi, quaerere iussisti, praesta quaesumus ut, per intercessionem Sancti Isidori, Episcopi et Doctoris, in peregrinationibus per interrete factis et manus oculosque ad quae Tibi sunt placita intendamus et omnes quos convenimus cum caritate ac patientia accipiamus. Per Christum Dominum nostrum. Amen.
Old 07-29-07, 08:42 PM
donnamb 
tired

Bikes: Breezer Uptown 8, U frame

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Wow, Annie, that's amazing.
"Real wars of words are harder to win. They require thought, insight, precision, articulation, knowledge, and experience. They require the humility to admit when you are wrong. They recognize that the dialectic is not about making us look at you, but about us all looking together for the truth."
Old 07-30-07, 12:15 PM
Sammyboy
The Legitimiser

Bikes: Gazelle Trim Trophy, EG Bates Track Bike, HR Bates Cantiflex bike, Nigel Dean fixed gear conversion, Raleigh Royal, Falcon Westminster.

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
The problems with baskets are, I suspect, mitigated if the basket is mounted to the frame, rather than the bars/fork, so it can't pull the bars around. I imagine that's what's on the bike I posted originally, but it's definitely on this 1957 BSA I bought for my former housemate.

Old 07-30-07, 12:31 PM
Bushman
Grumbly Goat

Bikes: bicycles with round wheels

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
^ i agree! i had a messenger bike with a huge fork/handlebar mounted flat rack, and it was brutal when loaded. Very hard to control. when i ended welding the rack to the frame all that sloppy handling wen t away
Old 07-30-07, 01:24 PM
bmike
Bye Bye

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
We have a Bakfiets, and love it...

Some stock images:

I'm waiting on a shipment of kid / cargo covers... that will make the bike far more useful in foul weather. I've had 100 pounds of groceries, dog food, cat food, etc. in the front box.
Old 07-30-07, 01:28 PM
niknak

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked 43 Times in 35 Posts
Another option are the ANT bikes by Mike Flanigan: https://www.antbikemike.com/flom.html
Old 07-30-07, 09:11 PM
donnamb 
tired

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by bmike
We have a Bakfiets, and love it...

I'm waiting on a shipment of kid / cargo covers... that will make the bike far more useful in foul weather. I've had 100 pounds of groceries, dog food, cat food, etc. in the front box.
Mike, did you know there's someone in Portland who is custom sewing bench cushions for Bakfietsen?
"Real wars of words are harder to win. They require thought, insight, precision, articulation, knowledge, and experience. They require the humility to admit when you are wrong. They recognize that the dialectic is not about making us look at you, but about us all looking together for the truth."
Old 07-31-07, 06:20 AM
bmike
Bye Bye

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by donnamb
Mike, did you know there's someone in Portland who is custom sewing bench cushions for Bakfietsen?
No... that's cool. I'll look into that when our little one arrives early next year!
Old 08-02-07, 03:52 PM
Elkhound

Bikes: Trek Mountaineer modified with a NuVinci; Montegue Paratrooper folding mountain bike; Greenspeed recumbent; Surly Big Dummy with Stokemonkey

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by makeinu
This isn't a task for a small shop, but it would be really great to have a tandem pedicab that combines power like a tandem. Then me and my wife could haul bus loads of people at a time on the weekends.
Try Lightfoot Cycles or Rhodescars.
Old 08-02-07, 06:38 PM
bmike
Bye Bye

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by makeinu
You need a conference bike.
Old 08-03-07, 12:24 PM
neoslan

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Now thats the one you gta get
Old 08-03-07, 03:22 PM
lancekagar
Champion Member

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Here's a shot of a Long Haul in progress at the shop I work at. The American Bakfiets, or "box bike", without the box.

Old 08-03-07, 07:18 PM
donnamb 
tired

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by lancekagar
Here's a shot of a Long Haul in progress at the shop I work at. The American Bakfiets, or "box bike", without the box.
I saw 3 of these today delivering packages around downtown Portland.
Old 08-04-07, 09:06 PM
lancekagar
Champion Member

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by donnamb
I saw 3 of these today delivering packages around downtown Portland.
Hey, cool! If I'm not mistaken, we just shipped the newest one with aluminum tread-plate (flat-bed) to a rider in Portland. It'll be hard to miss!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.