Go Back  Bike Forums > The Racer's Forum > "The 33"-Road Bike Racing
Reload this Page >

Just started training with Power? Post your questions/comments here!

Notices
"The 33"-Road Bike Racing We set this forum up for our members to discuss their experiences in either pro or amateur racing, whether they are the big races, or even the small backyard races. Don't forget to update all the members with your own race results.

Just started training with Power? Post your questions/comments here!

Old 11-24-08, 08:59 AM
substructure
RustyTainte

Bikes: zilch

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Snuffleupagus
Include zeroes. For example, last year I did a crit @ 302w AP, 345w NP, and my PT (not including zeroes) reported something like 386w.

It's not an accurate reflection of work done over time, as if you're coasting with 0 power a lot and sprinting the rest of the time the readings will be really goofy.
Thanks Snuff.
Old 11-24-08, 09:18 AM
ZeCanon
Writin' stuff

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 4 Posts
TT position help? anyone?

Don't make me make a thread with photos of me on the trainer...
Old 11-24-08, 09:27 AM
umd
Banned

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac SL2, Specialized Tarmac SL, Giant TCR Composite, Specialized StumpJumper Expert HT

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by substructure
I thought I was suppose to NOT include zeros? What's right?
Include zeros in averages. I only excluded them from the distribution chart I showed because there was a lot of descending/coasting and it obscured the bins in the distribution... the distribution shape is not affected by the zeros but the scale of the chart is...
Old 11-24-08, 09:33 AM
substructure
RustyTainte

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by umd
Include zeros in averages. I only excluded them from the distribution chart I showed because there was a lot of descending/coasting and it obscured the bins in the distribution... the distribution shape is not affected by the zeros but the scale of the chart is...
Well, I forgot how to put them back in.
Old 11-24-08, 10:57 AM
ridethecliche
Batüwü Creakcreak

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 228 Post(s)
Liked 288 Times in 160 Posts
Originally Posted by ZeCanon
TT position help? anyone?

Don't make me make a thread with photos of me on the trainer...
If anything, your best bet is an Ibike since you'll get real time drag data if you use it with a powermeter.

Perhaps go this route and then sell the ibike or hold onto it since it's going to be way cheaper than time in the tunnel. You could probably use it during a race to adjust if it gets gusty and such.
Old 11-24-08, 10:59 AM
umd
Banned

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac SL2, Specialized Tarmac SL, Giant TCR Composite, Specialized StumpJumper Expert HT

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by ridethecliche
If anything, your best bet is an Ibike since you'll get real time drag data if you use it with a powermeter.

Perhaps go this route and then sell the ibike or hold onto it since it's going to be way cheaper than time in the tunnel. You could probably use it during a race to adjust if it gets gusty and such.
iBike & ANT+ powermeter (Quarq, SRM or PT) and you can determine your drag coeffient in different positions. It's a portable wind tunnel.
Old 11-24-08, 11:17 AM
kudude
slow up hills

Bikes: Giant TCR, Redline CX, Ritchey Breakaway, Spec S-works epic

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by umd
iBike & ANT+ powermeter (Quarq, SRM or PT) and you can determine your drag coeffient in different positions. It's a portable wind tunnel.
i'd love to write that software. don't really have funds to buy all the necessary equipment, though
Old 11-24-08, 11:23 AM
ZeCanon
Writin' stuff

yeah... no extra money so buying more equipment is pretty much out of the question. I use what is given to me.
I was hoping someone had a protocol that had helped them find a good position, but I guess I'll just have to invent one on my own I'll let you all know how it goes.
Old 11-24-08, 11:24 AM
umd
Banned

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by kudude
i'd love to write that software. don't really have funds to buy all the necessary equipment, though
I'm pretty sure all the software is already available. That's what Tom has been doing. Note that the iBike acts as the head unit so if someone got a Quarq, they could get the iBike instead of the Garmin, and the cost would be about the same. And you wouldn't need a Quarq, you could do it with the ANT+Sport PT as well.
Old 11-24-08, 12:23 PM
asgelle

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1031 Post(s)
Liked 450 Times in 264 Posts
Originally Posted by ZeCanon
I was hoping someone had a protocol that had helped them find a good position, but I guess I'll just have to invent one on my own I'll let you all know how it goes.
You might want to look in at the Wattage group at Google. There's been a lot of work done already and software is available.
Old 11-24-08, 12:27 PM
sgrundy
I am the cheese

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Use the configure device button in the cycleops software.
Old 11-24-08, 02:08 PM
pinky
Ink-Stained Wretch

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
ze, go to biketechreview.com and check out the forum. It will have the low down on aero testing.
Old 11-24-08, 04:40 PM
ZeCanon
Writin' stuff

asgelle and pinky, thanks for the tips. Found some good info. If I can some good results I'll post up here
Old 11-24-08, 04:53 PM
Flatballer
No matches

Bikes: two wheeled ones

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1398 Post(s)
Liked 444 Times in 250 Posts
My parents want to buy me something for Christmas. I don't really want anything right now except a power meter. I doubt they'll buy me something expensive.

Something I considered is asking them for an iBike, and then I can pair it with a PT (or Quark) that I buy next summer when I have money. Is the only iBike that can do the CdA thing the newest iAero III? Are there cheaper (older) versions that are still ANT+ compatible and can calculate the CdA when paired with a direct measurement power meter?

I might ask for a Garmin 705 instead, which I can pair with my power meter when I get it. The CdA would be cool though, maybe I'll buy something to do that with in a couple years.

I wish they'd just pick a number and give me some cash.
Old 11-24-08, 04:57 PM
ridethecliche
Batüwü Creakcreak

Originally Posted by Flatballer
My parents want to buy me something for Christmas. I don't really want anything right now except a power meter. I doubt they'll buy me something expensive.

Something I considered is asking them for an iBike, and then I can pair it with a PT (or Quark) that I buy next summer when I have money. Is the only iBike that can do the CdA thing the newest iAero III? Are there cheaper (older) versions that are still ANT+ compatible and can calculate the CdA when paired with a direct measurement power meter?

I might ask for a Garmin 705 instead, which I can pair with my power meter when I get it. The CdA would be cool though, maybe I'll buy something to do that with in a couple years.

I wish they'd just pick a number and give me some cash.
The Ibike seems to have improved in this redesign or so they claim. For solo training, I think it might be a good option to go to. But a new ibike is the same price as a used pt (on open pro) so I'd just go for the PT instead!
Old 11-24-08, 04:58 PM
tanhalt

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by umd
I'm pretty sure all the software is already available. That's what Tom has been doing. Note that the iBike acts as the head unit so if someone got a Quarq, they could get the iBike instead of the Garmin, and the cost would be about the same. And you wouldn't need a Quarq, you could do it with the ANT+Sport PT as well.
Actually...all you really need is a powermeter and a spreadsheet.

https://anonymous.coward.free.fr/watt...direct-cda.pdf

The iAero +ANT Sport setup just lets you sort of do it "real time"...

Last edited by tanhalt; 11-24-08 at 06:04 PM.
Old 11-24-08, 05:16 PM
substructure
RustyTainte

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by sgrundy
Use the configure device button in the cycleops software.
I also forgot how to use my brain.
Old 11-24-08, 05:56 PM
ridethecliche
Batüwü Creakcreak

That's what she said!

Wait, what?

Sorry, carry on
Old 11-24-08, 07:08 PM
Hida Yanra
VeloSIRraptor

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
RTC - thanks for starting the thread.
*bookmarked*
I'm slow at getting any questions - but that's because my training is focused on running for the last weeks - but starting this weekend I'll be full of them.
Old 11-25-08, 01:41 AM
kudude
slow up hills

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
"fixed" my slope -- it was reading 15.9 Hz/Nm, but according to my 2 gallons of water, it should say between 19.9 and 20.2. I went with 20.2 so that later, I can get free power if I underestimated the mass of the 2 gallons of water + bottles. I had called SRM, and the last time they say the meter was more than 3 years ago, and the number they had in their system was 15.9. I'm pretty sure there has been some drift.

Using this new calibration I went out to do a recovery ride after the 3200kJ epicness that was yesterday's ride. I arbitrarily picked 200W as my max/average wattage. Going uphill at 200W is painfully boring, but as soon as the road turns down, it seems like I have to actually work to maintain that number. I guess that's why people around here stay out of the hills on recovery days.

btw, this puts my max 5s sprint UNDER 1000W, which makes me cry a little inside. "I" think i'm a sprinter, but my 5 and 20 minutes numbers are much better on the chart. I haven't actually gone out to test yet, I'm just taking the bests from my rides. Tomorrow I'm going to do one or two "WRI"s (tm) to get a 1m number that qualifies as something besides untrained
Old 11-25-08, 02:03 AM
ridethecliche
Batüwü Creakcreak

Originally Posted by kudude
"fixed" my slope -- it was reading 15.9 Hz/Nm, but according to my 2 gallons of water, it should say between 19.9 and 20.2. I went with 20.2 so that later, I can get free power if I underestimated the mass of the 2 gallons of water + bottles.
So how did you measure out exactly 2 gallons of water?

What did you do, 1 gallon on each crank arm?

My unit was sent to SRM in march by the previous owner and the slope is 19.3.
Old 11-25-08, 09:05 AM
kudude
slow up hills

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
So how did you measure out exactly 2 gallons of water?

What did you do, 1 gallon on each crank arm?

My unit was sent to SRM in march by the previous owner and the slope is 19.3.

tied a string through the handle of each one and hung them off the SAME crankarm (although doing it on both sides would provide me a balance of sorts).
Old 11-28-08, 12:57 PM
C Law
Too Much Crazy

Bikes: Eriksen 29er, Gunnar Roadie, Niner RLT, Niner RIP 9

Quoted: 116 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
So I did my 20 minute test on my cycle ops fluid 2 trainer on wed.

Take a look at this graph please. Is it too upward sloping? I mean, did I hold back to much in the beginning and then hammer too much at the end?

It seemed like at around 10 minutes it just got easier to hold higher wattage. And then the last 5 I just went pretty much as hard as I could go , within reason

So, I guess my question is, was this a pretty good initial test?

the actual test is from 41-61 minutes

Last edited by C Law; 11-28-08 at 03:50 PM.
Old 11-28-08, 02:23 PM
ridethecliche
Batüwü Creakcreak

So basically, you're not going to be at a loss if your FTP is a little lower than it actually is.

If you want, do a MAP test tomorrow and see if 72-75% of that wattage is close to 95% of your 20minute. If it is, then great, you're in the ballpark. You can retest in a month or so, but use the current number to structure workouts. If the 'hard' workouts seem too easy, then you know you've got something going.

Also, if you're holding 300+ for your 20 minute test, you're not warming up hard enough. Most of your warmup is in the sub 200 watt zone. You should be warming up in the 220-240 zone methinks.

Good test!
Old 11-28-08, 02:32 PM
C Law
Too Much Crazy

Bikes: Eriksen 29er, Gunnar Roadie, Niner RLT, Niner RIP 9

Quoted: 116 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
So basically, you're not going to be at a loss if your FTP is a little lower than it actually is.

If you want, do a MAP test tomorrow and see if 72-75% of that wattage is close to 95% of your 20minute. If it is, then great, you're in the ballpark. You can retest in a month or so, but use the current number to structure workouts. If the 'hard' workouts seem too easy, then you know you've got something going.

Also, if you're holding 300+ for your 20 minute test, you're not warming up hard enough. Most of your warmup is in the sub 200 watt zone. You should be warming up in the 220-240 zone methinks.

Good test!
Yeah, in retrospect I did not warm up 'hard' enough. But since it was my first test, I really didn't know what L2 was.

I was hoping it was a good starting point to structure some workouts from. I'll retest at the end of Jan. and see where I'm at.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.