Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Your Most Recent Cycling-related Purchase

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Your Most Recent Cycling-related Purchase

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-19, 01:21 AM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
Fizik Tempo Powerstrap R5 shoes. I wanted a second pair of Scott Road Pro shoes but couldn't find any. I needed another pair to try some Shimano SPD-SL pedals/cleats on a second road bike -- my other uses Look Delta.

The Tempo shoes are okay, especially at less than half price on an Amazon open box return special.

On the plus side they seem sturdy and well made. The sole is reasonably stiff. Paired with SPD-SL cleats they're easier and quieter for walking than my Scott shoes with Look Delta cleats (those are like ice skating in high heels). It's also easier to clip in, mostly due to the cleat design. But there's less float than the Deltas and I had to stop a few times the first ride to adjust the cleat angle.

On the minus side, they're not ventilated well enough for summer. No cloth mesh in the uppers or vents in the soles. They'll be good cool and wet weather shoes, and cold weather with shoe covers. The Scott Road Pro are about as close as you can get to a sandal, with plenty of cloth mesh and sole vents, and the shoe overall is soft yet supportive and durable.

The Fizik shoes don't fit me well, but that's not unusual. I have long, narrow, bony feet with high arches that have always been hard to fit. Even with the Scott I needed to replace the insoles with something that better suited my feet, but the width was fine. The Scott shoes fit so well I can only use thin socks, which are fine for summer use. The Tempo shoes are too wide and the Velcro straps don't snug up enough. I had to add two insoles for adequate arch support and metatarsal padding. I still need to wear thick socks to take up the excess space and get a comfortable fit without slipping.

So the Tempo shoes will be okay, and well suited to winter use. Eventually I'll get another pair of Scott shoes for the SPD-SL pedals/cleats.

Old 05-09-19, 11:16 AM
Doctor Morbius
Interocitor Command

Bikes: 3 Road Bikes, 2 Hybrids

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 596 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 40 Posts
Just bought a returned Continental Grand Sport Race 700x23 folding tire from Amazon for $12.73 plus sales tax. Only needed 1 tire because of clearance issues with the front fork on one of my road bikes. I can use 700x25 on the rear and on my other road bike.

I have a set of these in 700x32 on one of my hybrids and I really like them, even though they have the lowly Pure Grip compound. Just think of how much faster I could go if I had the Black Chili compound!

https://www.continental-tires.com/bi...and-sport-race

Old 05-09-19, 06:39 PM
bluezurich
Team Concussed/AARP

Bikes: Pinarello Stelvio, Ritchey Logic, Trek Roscoe 8

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts
Latest and nearly greatest

Lake CX 241. I'm not 28 anymore, I can't wear Sidi's. These are a phenomenal shoe and they seem to be the only company whose normal width is many mm's wider than other's wide or high volume shoe. The boa system is so precise, my only gripe is they are a 3 hole instead of 4 since I am a Speedplay user.
Old 05-09-19, 08:12 PM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts
Old 05-10-19, 07:47 PM
jadocs

Bikes: Ti, Mn Cr Ni Mo Nb, Al, C

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 942 Post(s)
Liked 526 Times in 349 Posts
Press on the helmet and it squeaks. 😂😆
Very helpful when your behind the lead rider to let him know to speed it up. 🤡

Last edited by jadocs; 05-11-19 at 06:38 AM.
Likes For jadocs:
Old 05-10-19, 11:26 PM
phtomita

Bikes: '87 Centurion Ironman, '86 Nishiki Tri-A, '84 Centurion PT15

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 244 Post(s)
Liked 179 Times in 111 Posts
Got a MF-TZ31 from Random Bike Parts - It is very cheap - so bought for a experiment instead of going around coop to find a cheap one....
Old 05-11-19, 02:52 AM
deepakvrao

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 394 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 14 Posts
Originally Posted by Sy Reene
On the opposite end of the price spectrum..

What is it?
Old 05-11-19, 04:37 AM
berner

Bikes: Specialized Secteur, old Peugeot

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 663 Post(s)
Liked 496 Times in 299 Posts
I bought a bell for the bike. I'm so excited I ring it even when there is no one ahead of me.
Old 05-11-19, 05:58 AM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4733 Post(s)
Liked 1,531 Times in 1,002 Posts
Originally Posted by deepakvrao
What is it?
It's a silicone seatpost ring that sits on top of the frame at the clamp area.
Old 05-11-19, 06:25 AM
str8jakett
I pedal in my sleep...

Bikes: Giant TCR Advanced 2015, Giant Propel Advanced Pro 2015, Giant TCR Advanced 0 ISP 2008, Cube Cross Race SL 2018, Chapter2 TOA 2022

Quoted: 128 Post(s)
Liked 76 Times in 37 Posts
Just picked up two more pair of The Black Bibs when they got my size back in stock. I was pretty happy when I gave them a shot late last year and it's time to replace some older stuff anyway. Plus, it's great to be able to support a local company.
Old 05-11-19, 06:40 AM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Quoted: 20810 Post(s)
Liked 9,456 Times in 4,672 Posts
Originally Posted by Sy Reene
It's a silicone seatpost ring that sits on top of the frame at the clamp area.
Ah...

Why?
Old 05-11-19, 06:47 AM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 4733 Post(s)
Liked 1,531 Times in 1,002 Posts
Originally Posted by WhyFi
Ah...

Why?
because science.
seriously.. probably really no reason. I had one because my Fizik seatpost originally shipped with one. Now a couple years later it's looking a bit beat up.. so was a $5 add on to an order to get some free shipping.

They are supposed to keep water/crap from getting in your clamp/seat tube in theory. I think it's just a bit of bling, but it does help as a seatpost height marker if you remove or do any adjustments.
Old 05-11-19, 08:19 AM
f4rrest
Farmer tan

Bikes: Allez, SuperSix Evo

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 2870 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 23 Posts
Originally Posted by WhyFi
Ah...

Why?
A few extra grams just because.
Old 05-11-19, 01:30 PM
wipekitty
vespertine member

Bikes: Yes

Quoted: 687 Post(s)
Liked 220 Times in 163 Posts
Mystery Jersey Time...

I really like Alé jerseys, but it is difficult to find the designs I like in my size and price range. So I was happy to find a deal on one, but from the vendor's website, it's entirely unclear which of the two colors it is. It will be one of these two:

Last edited by wipekitty; 05-11-19 at 01:35 PM. Reason: typo!
Old 05-11-19, 01:33 PM
wipekitty
vespertine member

Bikes: Yes

Quoted: 687 Post(s)
Liked 220 Times in 163 Posts
Originally Posted by canklecat
Fizik Tempo Powerstrap R5 shoes. I wanted a second pair of Scott Road Pro shoes but couldn't find any. I needed another pair to try some Shimano SPD-SL pedals/cleats on a second road bike -- my other uses Look Delta.

Those are spiffy looking shoes - I'm actually somewhat surprised that they do not have vents on the sole. Too bad they don't narrow-up as well as some other Fizik shoes. I was looking into these as well, but I guess I'm glad I didn't go with them.
Old 05-11-19, 02:17 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Originally Posted by wipekitty
Those are spiffy looking shoes - I'm actually somewhat surprised that they do not have vents on the sole. Too bad they don't narrow-up as well as some other Fizik shoes. I was looking into these as well, but I guess I'm glad I didn't go with them.
After a few 20-30 mile rides with the Fizik Tempo Powerstrap shoes I'll keep 'em. At worst I'll save them for cool or rainy rides, if I can find another pair of Scott Road Pro for my summer shoes with SPD-SL cleats for my Trek 5900. My first pair of Scott Road Pro wear Look Delta cleats for my Centurion Ironman.

Yeah, they do look good, subdued, less bikey than my Scott shoes (very bikey looking with graphics and techy buckle straps, faux-leather and lots of mesh), and with the padded SPD-SL cleats I can walk almost normally without sounding like I'm wearing high heeled ice skates when I stop for a beer or coffee after a ride. I like my Look Delta cleats but those things look and sound damned silly walking in pubs, cafes and restaurants.

At $50 for an open box special these Fiziks are a good value. At full MSRP ($120) I would have been disappointed and returned them.

While I'm picky about shoe fit, after decades of compromising to make too-wide shoes fit my narrow feet, I'll accept shoes that fit well with the addition of orthotics. The only walking shoes I've found for under $100 that fit me perfectly without added insoles/orthotics are inexpensive RBX brand shoes I bought at Ross, Marshall's or some other discount store. Usually I settle for wider shoes and add orthotics, including with my pricey Montrail low rise hiking shoes -- but I wore those suckers for more than 12 years almost daily, including many walks of 3-5 miles, until the soles were completely walked through. They're still usable but not worth repairing.

I just bought another pair of Profoot Miracle insoles, only $9 at Walgreens. By far the most comfortable insoles I've ever worn in decades of trying many, including custom made orthotics when I was younger. The Profoot Miracle uses full length memory foam as the upper, bonded to a gel partial for the heel and arch. They're very lightweight, and the set I've used in my Scott shoes are still comfortable after more than a year of regular use.

Without the Profoot Miracle insoles I did feel some hotspots on the metatarsals during a fairly hard workout ride a few days ago. I've been using a cobbled together set of the Fizik insoles that came with the shoe (full length, hard, no padding, just an arch support, nowhere near as fancy as the Scott original insole), and a favorite Dr Scholl's 3/4 length gel insole. While that Dr Scholl is comfortable for my walking shoes, it's not adequate for my cycling shoes. It's not full length and doesn't protect the metatarsals. And for some reason gel insoles don't suit my feet as well as memory foam.

Because the Fizik shoes are very slightly too wide for my feet, I can wear thicker socks (or *need* to wear thicker socks, depending on perspective and weather ). So it's been quite comfortable in our recent 60s-low 80s springtime temperatures. The thicker microfiber socks wick perspiration well so far. We'll see how it goes in summer heat.

In absolute terms, I'd probably give 'em a 7 out of 10. But in value terms, especially at the $50 I paid, I'd give 'em an 8. For me the Scott Road Pro are a 10, an incredible value at the $50 I paid through Jenson USA for the closeout. And they've held up well for more than a year of regular use, including some unavoidable walking up to around 1/4 mile at a time (to accompany a friend who had to walk up hills while recovering from injuries). I'm hoping Scott's other current shoes fit me as well.
Old 05-11-19, 05:16 PM
Sojodave

Bikes: The Blurple Specialized Roubaix Pro

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 220 Post(s)
Liked 143 Times in 75 Posts
Just got some Giro Empire E70 Knit shoes .. Super comfy

Old 05-14-19, 01:05 PM
RidingMatthew
Let's Ride!

Bikes: --2010 Jamis 650b1-- 2016 Cervelo R2-- 2018 Salsa Journeyman 650B

Quoted: 327 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 24 Posts
Originally Posted by jadocs
Press on the helmet and it squeaks. 😂😆
Very helpful when your behind the lead rider to let him know to speed it up. 🤡
where did you get the duck! that is awesome!
Old 05-14-19, 07:03 PM
jadocs

Bikes: Ti, Mn Cr Ni Mo Nb, Al, C

Quoted: 942 Post(s)
Liked 526 Times in 349 Posts

Originally Posted by RidingMatthew
where did you get the duck! that is awesome!

Ha Ha it also lights up. I got it on eBay

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?m...2F264293937617
Old 05-14-19, 07:10 PM
RidingMatthew
Let's Ride!

Bikes: --2010 Jamis 650b1-- 2016 Cervelo R2-- 2018 Salsa Journeyman 650B

Quoted: 327 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 24 Posts
Originally Posted by jadocs

Ha Ha it also lights up. I got it on eBay

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?m...2F264293937617
that is great! I have a duck on my commuter bike already! this is very intriguing.
Old 05-15-19, 09:42 AM
deepakvrao

Quoted: 394 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 14 Posts
Originally Posted by canklecat

I just bought another pair of Profoot Miracle insoles, only $9 at Walgreens. By far the most comfortable insoles I've ever worn in decades of trying many, including custom made orthotics when I was younger. The Profoot Miracle uses full length memory foam as the upper, bonded to a gel partial for the heel and arch. They're very lightweight, and the set I've used in my Scott shoes are still comfortable after more than a year of regular use.

Without the Profoot Miracle insoles I did feel some hotspots on the metatarsals during a fairly hard workout ride a few days ago. I've been using a cobbled together set of the Fizik insoles that came with the shoe (full length, hard, no padding, just an arch support, nowhere near as fancy as the Scott original insole), and a favorite Dr Scholl's 3/4 length gel insole. While that Dr Scholl is comfortable for my walking shoes, it's not adequate for my cycling shoes. It's not full length and doesn't protect the metatarsals. And for some reason gel insoles don't suit my feet as well as memory foam.

I dont know about this insole thingie. Do you replace the insole that came with the shoe? Or, is this an addition? How does it help?
Old 05-15-19, 11:29 AM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Originally Posted by Sojodave
Just got some Giro Empire E70 Knit shoes .. Super comfy

Sweet!
Old 05-15-19, 11:34 AM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Originally Posted by deepakvrao
I dont know about this insole thingie. Do you replace the insole that came with the shoe? Or, is this an addition? How does it help?
Your current cycling or athletic shoes probably already contain a removable insole. Pry carefully around the heel end inside the shoe and it may lift out. The Profoot Miracle insole can replace or supplement the existing insole.

The original insoles supplied with my Scott and Fizik shoes were too hard, with inadequate arch support for my skinny, bony feet with high arches. The Profoot replaces the original insoles.

The memory foam material compresses and rebounds after each use for months, cushioning the metatarsal bones without excessive padding or weight.

But if your current shoes are comfortable, you won't need any replacement insoles. My feet are just weird and hard to fit.
Old 05-17-19, 07:03 AM
ARPRINCE

Bikes: 2021 Tern Verge X11 + Cannondale 2016 CAAD12 eTap + 2011 Synapse Alloy 5 Ultegra

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 150 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 16 Posts
Got a 165mm to replace 170mm

Last edited by ARPRINCE; 05-20-19 at 04:58 PM. Reason: Add pix
Old 05-18-19, 10:56 PM
jsigone
got the climbing bug

Bikes: one for everything

Mentioned: 82 Post(s)
Quoted: 632 Post(s)
Liked 908 Times in 273 Posts
New Reynolds AR58 roll so nice. Officially ready for coffee shop posing

Rule #10 // It never gets easier, you just go faster.
Likes For jsigone:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.