Go Back  Bike Forums > The Racer's Forum > Track Cycling: Velodrome Racing and Training Area
Reload this Page >

Ask your small, random, track-related questions here

Notices
Track Cycling: Velodrome Racing and Training Area Looking to enter into the realm of track racing? Want to share your experiences and tactics for riding on a velodrome? The Track Cycling forums is for you! Come in and discuss training/racing, equipment, and current track cycling events.

Ask your small, random, track-related questions here

Old 05-31-15, 01:25 AM
carleton
Elitist

Mentioned: 88 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1386 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 77 Posts
Originally Posted by sebsebseb
Both shoul be around 1000 euro in Europe. Argon is not easily available here so I would need to go for a frame and then get the rest of the stuff separately, so I might end up spending more.
I think you can do better for the money. But, if you want to limit the conversation to the two above, they are about the same. I'd go for whatever one looks best to you.
Old 05-31-15, 10:40 AM
sebsebseb

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by carleton
I think you can do better for the money. But, if you want to limit the conversation to the two above, they are about the same. I'd go for whatever one looks best to you.
Seriously? Can I get something better for 1k euro? If you can spare some time and share some ideas... it would be great!
I'm new to fixed/track bikes...
Old 05-31-15, 12:01 PM
carleton
Elitist

Mentioned: 88 Post(s)
Quoted: 1386 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 77 Posts
Originally Posted by sebsebseb
Seriously? Can I get something better for 1k euro? If you can spare some time and share some ideas... it would be great!
I'm new to fixed/track bikes...
Have a look in this thread: https://www.bikeforums.net/track-cycl...ete-bikes.html

A good-fitting bike and wheels make a bigger difference than the frame (assuming the frame meets minimum standards for geometry and stiffness). Materials (steel, aluminum, steel) aren't as big of a factor as one would think.
Old 05-31-15, 04:40 PM
queerpunk
aka mattio

Bikes: yes

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 344 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 35 Posts
can anybody point to resources for pursuit-specific training? there's precious little out there on the internet.

i'm giving pointers to somebody and looking for some more to lean on. we're working on standing starts, 3-5min power, and technique - obviously - but i was wondering if there's more i should be considering.
Old 06-01-15, 08:47 AM
gtrob

Bikes: T1, S2, P3

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Coggan has a really good slide out there on it if you haven't seen it

https://www.slideshare.net/acoggan1/paso-compressed

Worth considering position, pacing, etc. I think training is pretty straight forward, threshold and VO2max work and lots of it
Old 06-01-15, 09:53 AM
queerpunk
aka mattio

Originally Posted by gtrob
Coggan has a really good slide out there on it if you haven't seen it

https://www.slideshare.net/acoggan1/paso-compressed

Worth considering position, pacing, etc. I think training is pretty straight forward, threshold and VO2max work and lots of it
Thanks. I'd seen some other stuff he wrote about the pursuit, but one of the slides has a "typical week during pursuit focus" list of workouts.

The things I'm gathering is: standing starts; standing start 1km hitting your splits (not going out too fast); overdistance efforts (flying 4k in team pursuit formation).
Old 06-01-15, 04:40 PM
i_am_death

Bikes: Colossi Low Pro Ltd. / IRO mk. V pro

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
vitt Pista EVO CS. glued last year in May. They are leaking from 175 PSI down to almost nothing in about 2 days. Are they due for a re-glue, or are they fine? I'm concerned they will blow coming hot out of turn 4....and that's got bad day written all over it.
Old 06-01-15, 05:08 PM
VanceMac

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by i_am_death
vitt Pista EVO CS. glued last year in May. They are leaking from 175 PSI down to almost nothing in about 2 days. Are they due for a re-glue, or are they fine? I'm concerned they will blow coming hot out of turn 4....and that's got bad day written all over it.
They are fine. Nothing to do with glue, and everything to do with the latex tubes. They don't hold pressure as long as butyl, but they are fine as long as you pump up on race day.
Old 06-01-15, 05:58 PM
i_am_death

Bikes: Colossi Low Pro Ltd. / IRO mk. V pro

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
wonderful. Thanks VanceMac
Old 06-01-15, 06:50 PM
Muddlfuc

Bikes: BMC RM01, Focus Izarco, Inexa track, KHS SS MTB

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
So i am torn over the virtues of buying an upgrade to my bike, I'm currently riding a Inexia track frame (that is very similar to a prolite frame, PBS tubing and an identical look, dropouts.) its looking a little tired with lots of chipps and a few dents (nothing fatal, just a few years as a commuter.

I have seen a Langster Pro, (matt black model) that looks really tidy.

Will it be a worth while upgrade? (ok... I am just trying to justify it to my self )
Old 06-01-15, 07:00 PM
gtrob

Bikes: T1, S2, P3

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by queerpunk
Thanks. I'd seen some other stuff he wrote about the pursuit, but one of the slides has a "typical week during pursuit focus" list of workouts.

The things I'm gathering is: standing starts; standing start 1km hitting your splits (not going out too fast); overdistance efforts (flying 4k in team pursuit formation).

I tried motor pacing in pursuit bars behind a bike for the first time this past season and it worked well. Helps you focus on your position and pedaling more while at full speed. Team pursuit drills work well too, as you can do more of them (again at pace but without the full effort of the solo 4k).
Old 06-02-15, 09:52 PM
nosaad

Bikes: 2019 ICAN AC135, 90's Orbea Lobular

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Top tube protector or not?

I recently bought a used Orbea and it has the tiniest of dents in the top tube from the handlebar. I was considering taping on a bit of handlebar tape (something tastefully colored if there is such a thing) over the dent to potentially prevent it from worsening in the event I crash. Good idea? Bad idea? I haven't noticed many in the pictures of your fine steeds, though perhaps people remove for photos? Also, it should be noted that I only taped the lower portion of the drops, so the handlebar is exposed where it would potentially contact the top tube. Thanks in advance for any/all responses.
Old 06-02-15, 10:38 PM
taras0000
Lapped 3x

Quoted: 325 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 20 Posts
Protect your TT.
Old 06-04-15, 02:49 AM
Murakami

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Just tape some bar tape to where the two would connect. I don't do it anymore but I may do as bar and TT meet endlessly now.
Old 06-04-15, 07:16 AM
Not the Slowest

Bikes: 2002 Seven Axiom

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Anything you use is fine. Extra piece of old tube and then covered in electrical tape which can be found in Home Depot in tons of colors or designs, or just the electrical tape with the center larger as the contact area.

No need to over think it, if the tape etc wears down, just trash and replace
Old 06-04-15, 07:45 AM
queerpunk
aka mattio

My bars are so low that I need to put the tape on my downtube.

Seriously.
Old 06-04-15, 12:47 PM
Stas87

Bikes: road and track

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Considering getting a power meter for the track bike. I use one for the road bike, but I can not swap the PM to my track bike. I've been considering the vector pedals, mainly ease of installation and I would only have to install new pedals. Still researching at this point.
Old 06-04-15, 12:49 PM
700wheel

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 11 Posts
I my bars are padded at the contact point I don't tape the TT. If my bars are bare at the contact point I tape the TT with handlebar tape.
Old 06-04-15, 02:10 PM
queerpunk
aka mattio

Originally Posted by Stas87
Considering getting a power meter for the track bike. I use one for the road bike, but I can not swap the PM to my track bike. I've been considering the vector pedals, mainly ease of installation and I would only have to install new pedals. Still researching at this point.
it sounds like the sweetspot for track PMs are 110bcd quarqs with a 110->144 Bergstrom Technologies adaptor. that winds up being a lot cheaper than an SRM. i know one person who has a Rival Stages arm on Omnium cranks, but there's a 7.5mm differential q-factor.
Old 06-04-15, 04:45 PM
defspace

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i know one person who has a Rival Stages arm on Omnium cranks, but there's a 7.5mm differential q-factor.
I asked stages about this. Here's what they told me:

"Technically you could use it but you won’t be pleased. Not only is the q-factor different, but the software won’t be optimized for the track. Our track software is specifically engineered for the Dura-Ace cranks and not applicable to the Rival crank. Overall we would not advise it as we do not expect you to be pleased with the performance. Thus we say our Rival GXP is NOT compatible with Omnium."

Old 06-05-15, 01:11 AM
Banchad

Bikes: Planet X Pro Carbon, Dolan FXE, Fuji Transonic

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Stas87
I'm in the same boat as you. Also considering some vector pedals. I found this https://forums.garmin.com/showthread...ctor-Questions

Probably going to end up getting them simply for ease of use and I'll probably never use them in a situation on the track where crashing is a possibility. IE. Racing as a pose to training.

Last edited by Banchad; 06-05-15 at 01:18 AM.
Old 06-05-15, 01:13 AM
Banchad

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
it sounds like the sweetspot for track PMs are 110bcd quarqs with a 110->144 Bergstrom Technologies adaptor. that winds up being a lot cheaper than an SRM. i know one person who has a Rival Stages arm on Omnium cranks, but there's a 7.5mm differential q-factor.
I can't even find a price for the Bergstrom Adaptor.

Edit: Nevermind. Found this. https://www.facebook.com/BergstromTe...14267348670929
Thats a lot of moolah for a bit of machined aluminium.

Last edited by Banchad; 06-05-15 at 01:26 AM.
Old 06-05-15, 01:33 AM
aramis

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Banchad
I can't even find a price for the Bergstrom Adaptor.

Edit: Nevermind. Found this. https://www.facebook.com/BergstromTe...14267348670929
Thats a lot of moolah for a bit of machined aluminium.
There's another one "Bdop" adapter for $70+10 shipping. Only thing I'd be worried about is chainline issues since with a quarq you can't adjust the chainline when installed.

I actually have a 110 bcd quarq I use on the road, but since I am not racing road and I also have a powertap I can put on my road bike it might be worth it to try out.

Anyone tried it out?

Last edited by aramis; 06-05-15 at 01:36 AM.
Old 06-05-15, 01:43 AM
Banchad

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by aramis
There's another one "Bdop" adapter for $70+10 shipping. Only thing I'd be worried about is chainline issues since with a quarq you can't adjust the chainline when installed.

I actually have a 110 bcd quarq I use on the road, but since I am not racing road and I also have a powertap I can put on my road bike it might be worth it to try out.

Anyone tried it out?
Well assuming you have a standard track hub spacing chainline shouldn't be an issue as track chainline is 42mm and modern chainline is 43.5. Only have to offset the bolting surface by 1.5mm. You might even be able to make a small shim or such like to adjust it back outwards for some adaptability. Actually kind of tempted to knock up a CAD model of this and get my friend to make one using his computer router and chuck my road crank on my track bike as an experiment.
Old 06-05-15, 08:05 AM
queerpunk
aka mattio

Originally Posted by aramis

Anyone tried it out?
Yeah, the Bergstrom one is pricey - but it's done in small batches by one fellah, made in the usa and all that stuff - and I suppose the point is that $Quarq+Bergstrome < $SRM. I don't know much about the Bdop one and how it deals with chainline, but the Bergstrom one is made to drop your 144 ring at a 42.5mm chainline, all the bolt holes are nicely countersunk, etc.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.