Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Tandem Cycling
Reload this Page >

Pictures of happy tandem couples?

Search
Notices
Tandem Cycling A bicycle built for two. Want to find out more about this wonderful world of tandems? Check out this forum to talk with other tandem enthusiasts. Captains and stokers welcome!

Pictures of happy tandem couples?

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-10, 11:16 PM
chichi

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

We did the Webcor KOM corporate challenge up Sierra road before the TOUR of California came through later that day. We were not very fast but we were not last. And even if we had been last it still would have been fun.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
05-21-10 olympus 1.JPG (90.2 KB, 578 views)
05-21-10 olympus 1.JPG (91.9 KB, 481 views)

Last edited by chichi; 05-25-10 at 11:21 PM.
Old 05-26-10, 09:19 AM
JSNYC

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
looks like fun, and nice bike too!
Old 05-26-10, 09:36 AM
Ritterview
Tandem Vincitur

Bikes: BMC Pro Machine SLC01, Specialized Globe, Burley Rock 'N Roll tandem, Calfee Dragonfly tandem.

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Nice hill climb, Chichi! Maybe we can have tandems rocking the LKHC this fall! Sierra Road is October 23rd.

Originally Posted by JSNYC
looks like fun, and nice bike too!
When I saw you had posted on this thread, JSNYC, I thought that you might have a pic of with your Tsunami. Isn't this bike a surprise for your stoker?
Old 05-26-10, 09:50 AM
JSNYC

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
nope i posted a pic a couple months back though (post #458) of us on a rented tandem, which started the madness.
Old 06-01-10, 08:28 PM
cunhatandem

Bikes: Calfee Tetra

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Tour of Martha's Vineyard

Memorial Day tour around Martha's Vineyard ... with a little help from the Menemsha Bike Ferry:
Attached Images
P1000186..jpg (96.3 KB, 442 views)
Old 06-02-10, 10:56 AM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3890 Post(s)
Liked 1,939 Times in 1,384 Posts
Heading up toward the Old Blewitt Pass road on a lovely day. Not as hot as usual, which was very nice. Can't see much of the tandem, a dark blue Speedster.
Attached Images
Swauk10..jpg (95.5 KB, 354 views)
Old 06-02-10, 05:11 PM
Thigh Master
No Pain, No Pizza

Bikes: 2015 Tarmac Pro Disc, '99 Burley Duet, '10 Velo Vie Vitesse 300R, '94 Trek 2120, '90 Cannondale SR 600, '79 Ross Super Gran Tour, '76 Raleigh Record

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked 40 Times in 23 Posts
Originally Posted by Carbonfiberboy
Heading up toward the Old Blewitt Pass road on a lovely day. Not as hot as usual, which was very nice. Can't see much of the tandem, a dark blue Speedster.
Love the Redhook jerseys. Beautiful photo of a happy tandem couple, thanks for the shot.
Old 06-02-10, 07:59 PM
stevegor

Bikes: lots... even a Raleigh twenty !!!

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Like the wide shoulder, should be compulsory, IMHO.
Old 06-02-10, 08:08 PM
ReedCycle

Bikes: 2010 Calfee Tetra Tandem

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Enjoying our new Calfee at the Capital to Capital Century in Charles City County VA on May 8. The ride is between Richmond and Williamsburg.
Enjoying our new.jpg
Old 06-04-10, 09:18 PM
Red Rider
Don't mince words

Bikes: '16 BH Quartz, 2017 Calfeecustom carbon tandem, Fuji D6 TT bike

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by chichi

We did the Webcor KOM corporate challenge up Sierra road before the TOUR of California came through later that day. We were not very fast but we were not last. And even if we had been last it still would have been fun.
Very nice to meet you and P! I passed you once and then you blew past me. Chris and I have a lot of work to do to make that climb on the tandem. Hats off to you two.
Old 06-04-10, 10:08 PM
WheresWaldo
Ride it like you stole it

Bikes: 2012 Cannondale EVO Ultegra Di2, Pedal Force Aeroblade, Rue Tandem

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 128 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 18 Posts
Here we are at last month's Speedway TT

Attachment 153813
Old 06-06-10, 11:47 PM
Red Rider
Don't mince words

Bikes: '16 BH Quartz, 2017 Calfeecustom carbon tandem, Fuji D6 TT bike

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
[QUOTE=WheresWaldo;10915376]Here we are at last month's Speedway TT

Is that near Charlotte?
Old 06-07-10, 08:04 AM
DKMcK 
I'd rather be riding

Bikes: Santana Team Ti 700 S&S, Trek Madone 6, Omega Ti,Klein Palamino, Trek 510

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Yes. It is held at Lowes Motor Speedway just north of Charlotte. There will be another time trial coming up this wednesday.
https://carolinatt.org
Old 06-09-10, 07:38 PM
bobthib
Legs; OK! Lungs; not!

Bikes: ''09 Motobecane Immortal Pro (Yellow), '02 Diamondback Hybrid, '09 Lamborghini Viaggio, ''11 Cervelo P2

Liked 9 Times in 4 Posts
Well this it more than over due. Last night we went out for the Ft. Lauderdale Urban ride at 6:30 PM. It was out first organized ride since my stoker fractured a bone in her foot in Dec. And even prior to that we were quite erratic due to my grandson's (grandson - alternate stoker) condition.

Notice the carefully crafted "aero-belly." As captain, I work diligently to avoid the flat belly/ripped abs which are known to create all kinds of speed spoiling aerodynamic turbulence. The stoker in the wind protected position is able to "let go" and have a flat ripped abs without the detrimental turbulence effect.

This was a fairly easy but kinda "technical" ride on a tandem. There was a fair about of sidewalk riding, and some boardwalk. Several places we had to dismount and "portage" to a safe tandem riding place a few yards away.

Here we are at the first rest stop on the boardwalk. It was a few minuets later we found we had flat. Thanks to Ernie the sweep in the yellow jersey who stayed with us and made sure we didn't get dropped or lost.

Last edited by bobthib; 06-21-10 at 06:20 AM.
Old 06-20-10, 06:15 PM
arrowman

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Here we are after completing our first tandem ride. We rode with the D.O.G.S. (Doubles of Garden State.) Looking back at the picture, we're not sure if we're smiling because we had a good time, or we survived the 90+ degree temps.

Old 06-22-10, 08:37 PM
Litespeed
Senior Moment

Bikes: Litespeed Blueridge

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Here is a picture of us when we went to the Great Western Bicycle Rally in Paso Robles. We have a ball every year.
Attached Images
Mary and Randy ri&#.jpg (103.5 KB, 333 views)
Old 06-28-10, 02:55 AM
Amesbub

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

HorseShoe Pass, Denbighshire, North Wales, UK

Last edited by Amesbub; 06-28-10 at 03:23 AM.
Old 06-29-10, 06:15 AM
mrfish

Bikes: Trek T200 plus enough others to fill a large shed

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Nice! I thought for a moment you had the Schleck brothers on a tandem, but then realised you've got Cancellara on the back to drive things along.
Old 06-30-10, 11:27 AM
Hermes
Version 7.0

Bikes: Too Many

Mentioned: 297 Post(s)
Quoted: 1341 Post(s)
Liked 2,482 Times in 1,457 Posts
We were on a training ride practicing team time trial and rode past a camera set up for a local event. My wife gets to be captain.

Old 06-30-10, 02:38 PM
nancyj

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bsut
We just bought this bike last week, and here's our departure for our first ride together!

Attachment 67212

It's a Melton tandem, which we found on Craigslist in Mountain View California. Beautiful steel fillet-brazed Marathon style frame, 60cm/58cm c-c, red paint in nice shape except for a few scratches. It's equipped with Mafac levers and cantilever brakes, Arai drum brake, Phil 48h hubs, TA cranks, SunTour VX rear and Compe-V front derailleurs (3x7 with bar-end shifters). I'm presuming it was built before he joined Santana in 1982.

It's our family's first tandem, joining our fleet of eight single bikes and two unicycles. I'd love to learn more about the history of the bike and its maker.
As the original owner of a Melton Tandem made in 80 or 81 I can tell you a precious little bit - Mike is no longer into the bike business I gather but the bottom oval tube of the tandem is actually a wing strut from a small airplane .... at least that is what he told me in his shop.... (I used to work at a bike shop in Athens and got the frame wholesale at the time)

He made them in a very small hole in the wall shop in Columbia SC. How are you doing with tires? What rims did he use? Any issues with tires (see my resurrection post) I just got the frame from him and not the bike but ours was a custom 21 x 21. The bike was designed to minimize horizontal flex at the expense of vertical flex. An old Bicycling Magazine article of that era had a showdown of the tandems and Mike's was one of three reviewed - you may want to search the bicycling archives for it. If I can find a copy I will scan the article. I believe your tandem is older than mine. He started to beef up the front forks a bit in later versions and yours look like the old style.

How are you liking it. I know before I got mine two of the guys in the shop tried one out and they were bike racers and not small skinny dudes and they were impressed with the side to side stiffness (one was an experienced tandem owner).

Last edited by nancyj; 06-30-10 at 02:41 PM. Reason: update
Old 07-07-10, 10:24 AM
JiveTurkey
Low car diet

Bikes: 2006 Windsor Dover w/105, 2007 GT Avalanche w/XT, 1995 Trek 820 setup for touring, 201? Yeah single-speed folder, 199? Huffy tandem.

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
On our way to breakfast at the start of our Wine, Dine & Bike Tour 2010 the day before the 4th. Four wineries, three meals, and 20 miles spread out over the entire day. The stoker's parents (on their own tandem) are taking the pic.

Attached Images
WineTourPic..jpg (97.7 KB, 399 views)
Old 07-25-10, 11:27 PM
djembob02

Bikes: Cannondale Road Tandem, Rodbikes Belt Drive Fixed Gear

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Here's a picture of my daughter and I on our recent Katy Trail Trip (A rail to trail through Missouri). About 4 months ago, we got this tandem trike and just love it. I built the attached trailer. Usually, the trike is piloted by myself, with our daughter on the trailer. On this trip, however, there were a few times that I let the little one drive after we set up camp. Don't worry, we put our helmets on before we left the grass. In case your wondering about the blue things. They are made of corrugated plastic and serve the function of durable paniers. We were able to fit all of our camping gear/clothes/etc. in those plastic compartments.
Old 07-25-10, 11:44 PM
Sixty Fiver
Bicycle Repair Man !!!

Bikes: See my sig...

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 129 Times in 96 Posts
Originally Posted by nancyj
As the original owner of a Melton Tandem made in 80 or 81 I can tell you a precious little bit - Mike is no longer into the bike business I gather but the bottom oval tube of the tandem is actually a wing strut from a small airplane .... at least that is what he told me in his shop.... (I used to work at a bike shop in Athens and got the frame wholesale at the time)

He made them in a very small hole in the wall shop in Columbia SC. How are you doing with tires? What rims did he use? Any issues with tires (see my resurrection post) I just got the frame from him and not the bike but ours was a custom 21 x 21. The bike was designed to minimize horizontal flex at the expense of vertical flex. An old Bicycling Magazine article of that era had a showdown of the tandems and Mike's was one of three reviewed - you may want to search the bicycling archives for it. If I can find a copy I will scan the article. I believe your tandem is older than mine. He started to beef up the front forks a bit in later versions and yours look like the old style.

How are you liking it. I know before I got mine two of the guys in the shop tried one out and they were bike racers and not small skinny dudes and they were impressed with the side to side stiffness (one was an experienced tandem owner).
The builder I work with has been using oval tubes on his tandems for almost 30 years... said he got the idea when he was looking at turbine blades for giant wind generators and was told the oval shaped blades were designed to be much stiffer.

That, and at 275 pounds he found many tandems to be lacking in needed stiffness.

The only tandems he makes that don't have oval tubes are S&S coupled models and these hand drawn tubes also go into his longtail expedition bikes... I can attest to the fact that these frames are very stiff laterally and vertically.

My tandem frame is 15 years old but is NOS and am building it up for my fiancée and family... you can see the oval "mesa" tubes named such as Arvon (Stacey) told me that he named them because he does not "mesa round" when it comes to building tandems.

He also likes that extra chain ring...
Old 07-26-10, 10:41 PM
andydreisch
Newbie but oldbie

Bikes: Trek 520, Lemond Victoire, Fisher Sugar 2, Cannondale tandem

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Not exactly a pic of a happy couple but a pic of a business card of happy couple's upcoming mini-tour.

We get "business" cards made for our trips. The back of the card contains links to our CGOAB journal: https://www.crazyguyonabike.com/doc/TandemPCH2010

Last edited by andydreisch; 07-27-10 at 08:46 PM.
Old 07-28-10, 09:39 AM
Mikedrevguy

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Well, we finally have a photo to contribute: This, the finish line for the 2010 STP - great and fabulous for our first outing of this nature.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.