Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Tandem Cycling
Reload this Page >

Comments people have said about your tandem

Search
Notices
Tandem Cycling A bicycle built for two. Want to find out more about this wonderful world of tandems? Check out this forum to talk with other tandem enthusiasts. Captains and stokers welcome!

Comments people have said about your tandem

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-10, 07:43 PM
Homeyba

Bikes: Colnago C-50, Calfee Dragonfly Tandem, Specialized Allez Pro, Peugeot Competition Light

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by TandemGeek
Let's just say we agree to disagree and celebrate the existence of differences that make us interesting, unique and give rise to lively discussions like these.
We can do that and I certainly agree with what you just said. It's really nice to be able to agree to disagree in a pleasant conversation! The tandem forum is good that way.
Old 11-07-10, 01:56 AM
Chris_W
Likes to Ride Far

Bikes: road+, gravel, commuter/tourer, tandem, e-cargo, folder

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 11 Posts
A great way to respond to any comments people make about the tandem as we are riding past is to give them a toot of your horn! It makes everyone happy, especially my stoker. Another bonus is that it works equally well in any country/language region.

We recently upgraded from a plastic model that a friend gave us for free to a fancy metal one that I picked up for about US$5 at a department store, which makes an awesome noise:

It may weigh a few hundred grams and it doesn't really help our aerodynamics, but it's more than worth it for all the smiles that it brings. My stoker now honks at anyone she sees who is even standing there staring at the bike as we ride by. Again, lots more smiles

Another interesting cultural difference is that here in Europe, people we don't know have never asked us about the value of the bike. Friends who are serious cyclists have asked, and they are the type who actually understand the value and costs involved, so I don't think twice about discussing it with them, and I try to encourage them to join the tandem crowd. But other types of people just haven't asked, despite often showing interest in the bike. I think people in Europe don't discuss financial matters as openly as N. Americans.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
horn..jpg (6.5 KB, 17 views)

Last edited by Chris_W; 11-07-10 at 02:03 AM.
Old 11-07-10, 06:31 AM
TandemGeek
hors category

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Chris_W
A great way to respond to any comments people make about the tandem as we are riding past is to give them a toot of your horn! It makes everyone happy, especially my stoker. Another bonus is that it works equally well in any country/language region.
What fun. Harpo Marx is probably the reason certain types of horns can sometimes be recognized as silly communication tools instead of simply an annoying demand to get out of the way. Bicycle bells -- at least the melodic ones -- seem to be accepted that way too.

Old 11-07-10, 03:28 PM
CHAS

Bikes: Rawlings Drakkar, Specialized Roubaix, Pivot, Challenge Trike, Tandem

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Asking how much someone paid for something is rude. It is common in the US. I ignore it or tell them, depending upon the situation.
Old 11-08-10, 07:14 AM
DCwom

Bikes: Burley Tandem

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 10 Posts
Besides the direct comments to us "She's not pedaling", the one we hear a lot is usually from other couples riding on singles, "That's what we need, you can pedal me around..."
Old 11-08-10, 09:09 AM
Amesbub

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The "She's not pedaling" really starts to pee me off after a while, along with "oh it's easier on a tandem".
But the best quote I heard recently, was young guy leaned out a car window and said "thats the best f***ing thing I've ever seen!" Who am I to argue?!
Old 11-08-10, 09:32 AM
steve53mg

Bikes: Serotta Legend Ti, Santa Cruz Heckler, Santana Visa TAndem

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The sight of a tandem just seems to make people smile! Some make comments, but most just smile!
Old 11-08-10, 10:23 AM
mwandaw
Half Fast

Bikes: A road bike and a tandem road bike

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 2 Posts
Before we bought my solo bike (thanks honey!) I often rode our tandem by myself. Now that gets everyone's attention!

"I think you're missing something!"

"Where's your partner?"

Often the person asking is driving alone in a two ton, eight seat SUV.

A couple of teeny-boppers in the front seat of a four-door sedan pulled up next to me at a red light. The silly-girl driver called out "where's your passenger?" I answered "In the back seat with your other passengers." She actually turned around, looked, saw the empty seat, and then with a horrified look on her face cried "That's not funny!"

Last edited by mwandaw; 11-08-10 at 10:26 AM. Reason: I never get it right on the first try!
Old 11-08-10, 01:25 PM
LucianTheOne

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
We were in the mountains, fully loaded + a monowheel trailer. I ask a local people about the road. He take a long look at the tandem and ask "This is a bike???"
A few times I heard "Look, a bike whit 2 pedals". I said "All bikes have 2 pedals". "Oh, I mean 4 pedals!!!"
And my favorite is "Look, a bike whit 4 wheels" )
Old 11-08-10, 02:46 PM
stapfam
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Often get the comment- "He's Not pedalling" (All male offroad Team)

I just say that if the pilot started steering- then I would pedal.

Spike Milligan
Old 11-08-10, 03:08 PM
swc7916

Bikes: Rodriguez Toucan tandem, Rodriguez Rainer Lite sport/touring

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
We've gotten a few "She's not pedalling", a couple of "Nice bike" and some others that I don't remember. Once while on a club ride with other tandems we had to go through a construction zone and the flagger called ahead on his radio "Limousine bikes coming through!"

Every once in a while when we're at a stop someone will come up and appear to be examining our bike. Invariably they will zero in on the drum brake and either ask what it is or comment on us having 3 brakes. If someone asks "How much does a thing like that cost?" I answer by saying that a cheap one of these is just over $1000 but ours was custom-built and cost a lot more. I am not offended if someone asks, but I try to evade the question by giving a vague answer (besides, I honestly don't know exactly how much it cost.)

Last edited by swc7916; 11-08-10 at 03:14 PM.
Old 11-08-10, 03:30 PM
adclark
What's a bike?

Bikes: Bianchi Veloce

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
The best comment I have heard was when I was riding my single behind my roommates who were riding my tandem. A girl on the sidewalk said to my roommates, "Aww...you guys are so cute." Made me laugh for the rest of the ride because they both turned bright red.
Old 11-14-10, 03:11 PM
ReedCycle

Bikes: 2010 Calfee Tetra Tandem

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
We heard a new one today as we were riding our bike through Colonial Williamsburg. A four year old boy shouted out: "Look, twins!"
Old 11-14-10, 06:35 PM
PMK

Bikes: 2006 Co-Motion Roadster (Flat Bars, Discs, Carbon Fork), Some 1/2 bikes and a couple of KTM's

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
We often get the typical "not pedaling" comments also, however this weekend while attending an MTB festival, the tandem was the focus of some attention during lunch or pre-ride organizing. The event was 350 riders 345 on single mtb's, 4 on all terrain unicycles, and us on the tandem.

Fiver comments we never heard until this weekend were.

This from a single rider stopped at the top of a technical climb..." this is embarrassing, I've been passed by a tandem"

While riding in a fast group on tight technical singletrack trail I rubbed the rider in front of us, our front tire "buzzed" his rear tire. Without looking back initially, he asks "who is that", I say nothing but his buddy behind us immediately says "you're going too slow", he turns to say something to his friend as we round a corner, sees the tandem and decides he better speed it up. His eyes were the size of silver dollars.

While bench racing around the campfire, stories are flying from various riders about the feats of the day...Ralph, who decided he had to see to believe followed us for a while during the rides that day proclaims to the other riders, "whatever you rode was easy, watching a tandem ride that stuff is unbelievable, and they make it through and don't go slow".

The last was from a ride guide..."we're not going to ride that section because the tandem can't ride it"...after voicing our opinion of don't let us stop you, (we had already ridden the section clean once earlier), our guide took us on another trail, with caution belching from his mouth we and several singles entered and rode the section. As luck would have it, the ride guide couldn't make one climb, I yelled make a hole. He too had wide eyes as the tandem roosted him heading upward over the hack. He was quiet as a church mouse after that.

Also proclaimed by the event photographer..." if you can ride that, I'll kiss your ass", he is now indebted to us.

Yes it was good weekend for us, especially the girl that rides on the back, I'm super proud of her and excited to let others know.

Our stokers all deserve a lot of credit for putting up with us at times.

Personal soapbox being dismantled now.

PK

Last edited by PMK; 11-14-10 at 08:34 PM.
Old 11-14-10, 07:46 PM
TandemGeek
hors category

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by PMK
" this is embarrassing, I've been passed by a tandem"
We've heard that one on the road and off-road...

The other variation is, "I'll never live this down..."
Old 11-15-10, 11:04 AM
Brad Bedell

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

That's like the heckling I get from my racing buddies when I show up on a low-racer recumbent... Just more proof that it's really about the engine and not the bike.
Old 11-15-10, 11:15 AM
uspspro
Tandem Mountain Climber

Bikes: Calfee Tandem, Litespeed Gravel, SuperSix Evo HM, Larry vs. Harry Bullitt (e-cargo)

Liked 3 Times in 1 Post

We've heard while climbing.. "Hey, I thought you're supposed to pass us on the downhill!"
Old 11-15-10, 01:33 PM
blamp28
Bikaholic

Bikes: Trek Fuel 90, Giant OCR, Rans Screamer Tandem

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
"Oh look, a handicapped bike" We ride a recumbent tandem
Old 11-15-10, 02:58 PM
VaultGuru

Bikes: Kestrel RT1000 & Calfee Tandem

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Finally heard a new one (for us)..."Be careful. She is following you way too close".
Old 11-16-10, 01:05 PM
Philly Tandem

Bikes: Too many! Santana tandems and triplet; MTBs; touring bikes

Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 15 Posts
Originally Posted by Chris_W
But other types of people just haven't asked, despite often showing interest in the bike. I think people in Europe don't discuss financial matters as openly as N. Americans.
I've been asked more about the cost during our European trips than I have at home in the USA.

Most awkward was when some teenagers in a rural village in the Czech Republic asked. Given their likely standard of living at the time, I made up some low price in euros (like 800 euros or something) and left it at that. Even that price seemed to amaze them.
Old 11-16-10, 01:09 PM
Philly Tandem

Bikes: Too many! Santana tandems and triplet; MTBs; touring bikes

Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 15 Posts
What I jokingly used to say to roadies on our normal route, when they would pass us on one particular hill: "There's no glory in passing a tandem with a baby trailer going uphill!"
Old 11-16-10, 03:45 PM
stapfam
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
I used to do a ride before I got the Tandem on a solo. 100 miles offroad and 10,000ft of climbing. Probably the hardest 1 day ride offroad in the UK. Then in 2003 we did it on the Tandem. It was pointed out by the organisor that although many Tandems had started in previous years- no tandem had ever completed the ride. Nothing like boosting your confidence. And we did finish the ride by the way- First Tandem to complete the organised 100 miler.

But that first year and on the second to last climb-We caught a group of riders going up. They looked shattered but the pilot started talking to the last rider as he drew along side him. The other rider was moaning that it was about time he gave up these long rides- he was getting too old. Then he mentioned- Did you see those old riders on the tandem. They have no chance of finishing so he could not see why they entered. He reckoned the two riders were over 40 and the old one on the back must have been 50 at least. I then piped up that the Tandem was still going and the stoker was 55. He then realised another rider was there and looked back to see the Tandem. Red faced did not come into it--but we could not stop laughing.

Spike Milligan
Old 11-16-10, 04:49 PM
jeff^d
enginerd

Bikes: Black Cat SS, Ibis Ripley v4, Cannondale Synapse Hi-MOD

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
We were climbing Glendora Mountain Road in southern California shortly after a mountain lion sighting in the local news.

Another rider in the group joked about how excited a mountain lion must get when it sees a tandem... "Shish kebob!"
Old 11-17-10, 05:21 AM
Machka 
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 596 Times in 329 Posts
Originally Posted by Amesbub
along with "oh it's easier on a tandem".
It is a lot easier on a tandem!! Like night and day between it and my single bicycle!!
Old 11-17-10, 05:23 AM
Machka 
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 596 Times in 329 Posts
Originally Posted by VaultGuru
Finally heard a new one (for us)..."Be careful. She is following you way too close".
We've had "Pedal harder! She's about to pass you!"

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.