Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Tandem Cycling
Reload this Page >

New Pearl White Calfee Tandem is ordered!

Search
Notices
Tandem Cycling A bicycle built for two. Want to find out more about this wonderful world of tandems? Check out this forum to talk with other tandem enthusiasts. Captains and stokers welcome!

New Pearl White Calfee Tandem is ordered!

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-11, 03:56 PM
diabloridr

Bikes: Co-Motion Macchiato, Calfee Dragonfly, Ancient Sun Fixie, Trek 5900

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by Ritterview
My authority on this is Competitive Cyclists. They are the big Internet supplier of high end road bikes, and the Aliante is their default saddle choice. There are several different models, of varying weight and prices. Fizik also features the handy ICS system, so as to have a readily detachable saddle bag (but that is of limited applicability to a captain's saddle).
My two cents is the best saddle for a single ain't necessarily the best for a tandem.

Beloved stoker and I both run Flites on our singles (she has used an Aliante, but at the moment it ain't working for her), but on the tandem we run completely different saddles: a WTB for her and a cheap Serfas for myself.
Old 04-23-11, 05:47 PM
akexpress 

Bikes: 2015 Calfee Tetra tandem,2016 Calfee Tetra Adventure Tandem, Ventana ECDM 26 mtn tandem, Ventana ECDM 29r full suspension Mtn tandem ,Ventana Fat tire tandem, Calfee Dragon Fly, Santa Cruz Carbon 5010, 907 Whiteout fat tire

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
We both like the Sella Anatomica on the tandems due to less time out of the saddle riding. We both think they are the most comfortable saddle out there and have black ones on our Calfee. The only down side is they are heavy
Old 04-23-11, 08:03 PM
ReedCycle

Bikes: 2010 Calfee Tetra Tandem

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
We use Brooks saddles on our Co-Motion and Calfee. B-17 Champion Special with titanium rails for the captain, and Finesse with titanium rails for the stoker. Comfort is more important to us than weight.
Old 04-24-11, 10:08 PM
Ritterview
Tandem Vincitur

Bikes: BMC Pro Machine SLC01, Specialized Globe, Burley Rock 'N Roll tandem, Calfee Dragonfly tandem.

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by DubT
Whatever saddle I get has to have the relief cut in it for the soft tissue area.
The requirement for such a cut doesn't preclude the Aliante, as Fizik also offers the Versus range, including the Aliante VS, featuring an ergonomic channel.

Further off topic:

The Fizik saddles have the ICS system, by which a saddle bag or light can be easily clipped into the saddle receptacle. Nashbar sells an ICS bag for $7, and it looks like the clip attachment could be unscrewed, and re-attached to anything else one chooses.

If the captain had a Fizik with ICS, what else useful to the stoker could be attached to ICS clip mount, for easy clip in and off by the stoker? A cell phone holder?
Old 04-28-11, 01:47 PM
DubT

Bikes: Trek Speed Concept 9.9, 2011 Calfee Tetra Tandem

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 9 Posts
I checked with Michael yesterday and our frame is in process and on schedule. Ordered SCHWALBE ULTREMO DD tires this morning along with latex tubes. I also ordered one of John Cobb's SHC 170 Saddles, ith a 180 day satisfaction guarantee.

I now either have all of the components or have them on order. Looking forward to June and receiving the new frame and hopefully some nice weather, all of this rain in the Midwest has been a real pain. Cannot complain to much, we have not had any of the really destructive weather that some parts of the country have had.

Wayne
Old 05-01-11, 07:46 AM
Open Lateral
Banned.

Bikes: Paketa V2r, VECdM29er, a bunch of singles gathering dust.

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
!!!!!!!

Originally Posted by Ritterview
The requirement for such a cut doesn't preclude the Aliante, as Fizik also offers the Versus range, including the Aliante VS, featuring an ergonomic channel.

Further off topic:

The Fizik saddles have the ICS system, by which a saddle bag or light can be easily clipped into the saddle receptacle. Nashbar sells an ICS bag for $7, and it looks like the clip attachment could be unscrewed, and re-attached to anything else one chooses.

If the captain had a Fizik with ICS, what else useful to the stoker could be attached to ICS clip mount, for easy clip in and off by the stoker? A cell phone holder?
Thank you! I have been looking for a Garmin bracket that comes off the Captains saddle. Now looking in this direction...
Old 05-01-11, 12:11 PM
tandem rider

Bikes: Co-Motion tandem, Serotta, and Specialized mt. bike

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 11 Posts
Let us know how you like the John Cobb saddle. I have been considering one myself.

Thanks.
Old 05-01-11, 03:24 PM
DubT

Originally Posted by tandem rider
Let us know how you like the John Cobb saddle. I have been considering one myself.

Thanks.
I have ridden on it twice. 30 miles yesterday and 17 today. My stoker is recovering from a nasty cold so I put the saddle on my Trek SC 9.9.

IT IS A KEEPER! I will have another one for the tandem!
Old 05-11-11, 10:44 AM
DubT

Latest update on the new tandem. I talked to Michael Moore at Calfee on Monday (5/9/2011) and the frame is "on schedule, maybe a little bit ahead of schedule" I certainly hope so. The original RTS date is June 3rd.

A couple of side issues, I bought a set of Bontrager Tandem wheels for the new bike and like them so well that I have ordered a second set for use as a backup set. I found out that Trek/Bontrager has some spare rims and some spare hub parts, they did not have any axles but DT told me they have axles for the hubs at $20 each. We are using the front wheel on the old tandem and really like how it made it ride much smoother.

As for the John Cobb saddle, I have had to make some minor adjustments to get totally comfortble but it is getting there. I still believe it is a keeper.

We are ready for the new tandem to be here, it seems like time is going rather slowly, just like a little boy waiting for Christmas. LOL.
Old 05-11-11, 11:59 AM
tandem rider

Bikes: Co-Motion tandem, Serotta, and Specialized mt. bike

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 11 Posts
Thanks for the update on the John Cobb saddle.