Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

A Bob Jackson followed me home today -Pics

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-16, 05:42 PM
jamesdak 

Bikes: Paletti,Pinarello Monviso,Duell Vienna,Giordana XL Super,Lemond Maillot Juane.& custom,PDG Paramount,Fuji Opus III,Davidson Impulse,Pashley Guv'nor,Evans,Fishlips,Y-Foil,Softride, Tetra Pro, CAAD8 Optimo,

Mentioned: 157 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2338 Post(s)
Liked 5,119 Times in 1,807 Posts

Looks like I'm on an English thing right now, second old british ride to make it into the house this week.

This is a 53 cm Reynold 531 frame. Being a life long Pittsburgh Steelers fan the minute I saw the color scheme of the bike I know I was in trouble, LOL!

I think the fit will work just fine. The saddle position is good for my fit but I'll need to raise the stem or get a longer one I believe. Quite a drop for this old man. Judging from the central saddle position I'd say it's a pretty relaxed angle. I normally tend to go with a 55/56 cm bike so I was worried I'd need to slam the saddle all the way back but turned out not to be the case.

It looks quite beautiful from 5 ft away and more. When you get right up on it you can see some minor touch ups and stuff. Here's some pics of how I picked it up. I like to document them a bit before I get messing with them. Standard double with an 8 speed setup. 22 lbs and 6 ozs as pictured, if that matters.

Old 08-12-16, 05:43 PM
jamesdak 

Bikes: Paletti,Pinarello Monviso,Duell Vienna,Giordana XL Super,Lemond Maillot Juane.& custom,PDG Paramount,Fuji Opus III,Davidson Impulse,Pashley Guv'nor,Evans,Fishlips,Y-Foil,Softride, Tetra Pro, CAAD8 Optimo,

And more:

Old 08-12-16, 05:52 PM
bulldog1935
Banned.

Bikes: '74 Raleigh International utility; '98 Moser Forma road; '92 Viner Pro CX upright

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 939 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
always makes me happy when I see a bike that's not my size - I don't have to covet.

That's a beauty - congratulations.
Old 08-12-16, 06:43 PM
Bad Lag

Bikes: 1974 Bob Jackson - Nuovo Record, Brooks Pro, Clips & Straps

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1104 Post(s)
Liked 794 Times in 452 Posts
AWESOME!

My Bob Jackson is blood red.

Last edited by Bad Lag; 08-12-16 at 08:51 PM.
Old 08-12-16, 07:15 PM
qcpmsame 
Semper Fi

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 1173 Post(s)
Liked 358 Times in 241 Posts
That is one very handsome bicycle! Good for you, great acquisition.

Bill

I Can Do All Things Through Him, Who Gives Me Strength. Philippians 4:13

Old 08-12-16, 09:16 PM
jamesdak 

Originally Posted by Bad Lag
AWESOME!

My Bob Jackson is blood red.

Nice, and I take it you are a bit taller than me?
Old 08-12-16, 11:07 PM
Bad Lag

LOL

Yes, mine is bigger than yours. But, yours looks better and yours is still shiny.

What year was yours made? When was it last painted? It looks brand spankin' new.
Old 08-13-16, 04:19 AM
bulldog1935
Banned.

Bikes: '74 Raleigh International utility; '98 Moser Forma road; '92 Viner Pro CX upright

Quoted: 939 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
uh-oh, that one fits me
Old 08-13-16, 06:31 AM
supercharger

Bikes: Tarmac, Merckx,TCX, Bridgestone

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
That's a nice looking bike. I believe it's my size so if it doesn't work out for you just drop me a line.
Old 08-13-16, 07:22 AM
jamesdak 

LOL

Yes, mine is bigger than yours. But, yours looks better and yours is still shiny.

What year was yours made? When was it last painted? It looks brand spankin' new.
I don't have a lot of info on this one. It's passed through some hands. From the groupset and all I'm guessing late 80s time frame. And does look really good from a few feet away. Just need to redo the bartape as they finished it off a bit short. May swap the stem too. It's pretty chewed up in spots and has a 1/4 long cut in it. Not sure it that makes it prone to cracking or not but better safe than sorry.

I'm going to shoot off an email to cycleart with some pics to see if they have any records on the paint job.
Old 08-13-16, 07:39 AM
thinktubes 
weapons-grade bolognium

Bikes: Battaglin Cromor, Ciocc Designer 84, Schwinn Superior 1981

Quoted: 988 Post(s)
Liked 2,397 Times in 897 Posts
Great bike with a great group!
Old 08-13-16, 07:43 AM
John E
feros ferio

Bikes: 1959 Capo Modell Campagnolo; 1960 Capo Sieger (2); 1962 Carlton Franco Suisse; 1970 Peugeot UO-8; 1982 Bianchi Campione d'Italia; 1988 Schwinn Project KOM-10;

Quoted: 1397 Post(s)
Liked 1,337 Times in 843 Posts
Very nice. I have always been partial to the Bob Jackson marque, and if you can't have the original factory paint and decals in decent condition, a CyclArt repaint is indeed the next best thing.
Peugeot: 1970 UO-8, S/N 0010468
Bianchi: 1982 Campione d'Italia, S/N 1.M9914
Schwinn: 1988 Project KOM-10, S/N F804069
Old 08-14-16, 10:09 AM
jamesdak 

So I swapped on a set of Look Keo pedals and my Zen Cyclery wheelset with GP 4000s II in 700 x 25c. Getting ready to head out with it on it's first real ride to see what it's got.

It's now 21 lbs even with those small changes. A one pound, six ounce reduction just prepping it to ride. Not too shabby.

It's probably going to feel really light today after a hundred miles on the heavy old Ventoux yesterday with it's heavy wheelset.
Old 08-14-16, 11:02 AM
USAZorro
Señor Member

Bikes: Mostly English - predominantly Raleighs

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 1499 Post(s)
Liked 1,102 Times in 645 Posts
I was once seduced by a slightly too small Bob Jackson that was for sale for an unbelievably good price. It took me about a year to move past denial about the size (it was the same size as yours coincidentally). Hope you're right about getting the fit to work. Are you sure those aren't Saints' colors?
Old 08-14-16, 01:48 PM
jamesdak 

Well, some observations from the initial ride of only 30 miles today. That Avocet saddle felt pretty dang good. I have some tender spots from yesterday's century but nothing else bothered me. Wasn't really aware of the saddle itself one I got the tilt adjusted.

My overall impression is it's really smooth on the rough roads yet maybe flexy. I was bouncing some when my cadence was in the mid 90s which is not normal for me. I'm thinking it's the saddle position still. I'm about 3/4" to far forward still and height may be a bit off too as I messed with it some based on initial feel but have measured it. I like the position of the bars as I have them but at 40cm they do have me feeling a bit pinched over my usual 42cm. No big deal as I'm used to swapping out the stems and bars for what I like.

Now I obviously was not recovered from yesterday's century. Legs didn't feel tight or anything but I just had no energy for most of the ride. Was only averaging around 17 mph for the first 20. But I finally got some energy about 24 miles in. I took off from a stop sign and within 1/4 mile hammered it seated to a top speed of 30.3 mph. So the bike will move! Ran around 20 mph the rest of the way home and the bike was feeling good and easy to hold speed.

Gonna measure this frame against my 53cm Lemond Tourmelet which is dialed in well for me. I think this Bob Jackson may just need a seat post with a tad more setback. Or maybe the Avocet rails are not quite as long as the ones on my normal Fizik saddles.

Anyway, no doubt this is a sweet ride. I just need to finish dialing it in and then testing it out with fresh legs.
Old 08-14-16, 05:05 PM
Bad Lag

Bouncing?

What aspect of a bike's set up/ergonomics contributes to "bounce".

My guess - you're still fatigued from yesterday and your muscle control and fine motor skills are still a bit off. Combine that with a new/different bike and you got bounce.

I'm wanting to go for a ride right now! Mu bike don't bounce. Then again, I just heard a rumble of thunder which is bad news.
Old 08-14-16, 05:51 PM
jamesdak 

Bouncing?

What aspect of a bike's set up/ergonomics contributes to "bounce".

My guess - you're still fatigued from yesterday and your muscle control and fine motor skills are still a bit off. Combine that with a new/different bike and you got bounce.

I'm wanting to go for a ride right now! Mu bike don't bounce. Then again, I just heard a rumble of thunder which is bad news.
Saddle height for sure, too low at high cadence and I "bounce". LOL!
Old 08-14-16, 08:55 PM
Bad Lag

I sincerely hope you are able to work out an ergonomic position because that bike is awesome - just this side of perfect.
Old 08-14-16, 09:37 PM
jamesdak 

Well, I just got done checking it. I messed up measuring somehow. The height is good but I had it too far back. It's dialed in now and hopefully with fresh legs tomorrow I can get a better feel for it.

I also just ordered a new stem for it. The one on it has a significant gouge and while it's probably fine I tend to descend in the 45-55 mph range and would really hate for something to go wrong. I think this will work out fine.
Old 08-14-16, 09:44 PM
DMC707

Bikes: Too many to list

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1765 Post(s)
Liked 1,125 Times in 746 Posts
really really great looking machine my friend !
Old 08-18-16, 08:51 PM
jamesdak 

Well I am embarrassed to say i figured out why the bike was so "bouncy" and "boggy" feeling on that first ride. I had swapped out the rear tire before swapping on the new wheelset and totally forgot to fully inflate it. I doubt there was 40 psi in it for the ride, good thing I didn't hit anything or I would have pinch flatted for sure. I do stupid stuff like that every since the last concussion. I can't focus on tasks worth a darn anymore.

Went out for the second ride and the bike was so good. It's a bit weird because it's so smooth that it doesn't feel like I'm going that fast. But then I look at my speed and I'm flying. I ran an average of 19.4 mph on the second ride with a top speed of over 32 mph over 23 miles. For me that's very good on this course. Today was the same course with some climbing threw in. 18.6 mph average over the whole 35 mile ride and held my pace over 20 mph for about 20 miles of it. This bike just seems easy to hold up to speed and very comfortable. So far this old Avocet Saddle has been fantastic. I'd love to try a century on it this weekend but with a competitive century on the 27th I shouldn't be doing one this Saturday so that will have to wait.

All and all, I'm pretty impressed with this bike. It doesn't feel as "racy" as my Giordana's yet the times on it are really good. I really can't fault anything on it except the headset that I can't keep tight, LOL! Gonna swing by the LBS tomorrow to let them tighten the locknut with the right tool.
Old 03-15-18, 06:28 PM
jamesdak 

Just thought I'd update on this bike a bit. Lots of little changes over the past two years. Added another bottle cage, new stem, frame pump mount and then today swapped in an older set of tubular wheels with some nice Veloflex Vlaanderen wheels. I think they will really make this ride extra nice. It's now weighing 22 lbs and 7 ozs as pictured in today's shots.

Just when I thought I was done with this I noticed I still need to trim the screws on that bottle cage clamps.

As you can see, decent clearance for these large tires.

This is my smallest frame as the tall seatpost illustrates. One day I'd like to get a larger one but until then this one is too much fun to give up.

The paint's not perfect on this 1983 bike but it's not too bad.

Old 03-16-18, 06:39 AM
qcpmsame 
Semper Fi

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 1173 Post(s)
Liked 358 Times in 241 Posts
Very nice looking with your improvements, the stem and bars, as well as the taping, look much more in tune with the frame set now, IMHO. I still think that it looked almost unmolested when you initially acquired it, and it still does, well kept sir.

Bill

I Can Do All Things Through Him, Who Gives Me Strength. Philippians 4:13

Old 03-17-18, 09:41 PM
RiddleOfSteel
Master Parts Rearranger

Bikes: 1982 Trek 720 - 1985 Trek 620 - 1984 Trek 620 - 1980 Trek 510 - Other luminaries past and present

Mentioned: 221 Post(s)
Quoted: 1557 Post(s)
Liked 2,029 Times in 989 Posts
Gorgeous gloss black Bob Jackson! I won't ask for help, but...I am having the worst time finding paint flaws on that steed. Guess I'll just have to settle for ignorance and drooling.
Old 03-18-18, 06:34 AM
jamesdak 

Originally Posted by RiddleOfSteel
Gorgeous gloss black Bob Jackson! I won't ask for help, but...I am having the worst time finding paint flaws on that steed. Guess I'll just have to settle for ignorance and drooling.
Thanks! The marks are there though, quite a few actually. Just hidden well in the black.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.