Notices
Adaptive Cycling: Handcycles, Amputee Adaptation, Visual Impairment, and Other Needs Have a need for adaptive equipment to ride to compensate for a disability or loss of limb or function? This area is for discussion among those of us in the cycling world that are coming back from traumatic circumstances and tell the world, "No, you are not going to beat me down!"

Limited leg ROM looking for options.

Old 07-08-13, 03:48 PM
TampaMom

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Crank shortener

Originally Posted by jayh
Here's something else that looks promising....

https://www.highpath.net/highpath/cycles/swingcrank.html
The one I purchased is made by Hase, and can be used on the right or left crank. Ride2 also makes these. It's a lot simpler than the swing crank.
Old 06-02-14, 05:15 AM
bcblair
bcblair

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by yss
Hello,

10 years ago I had a bad accident and I have limited ROM in my leg - around 60 deg. I would really like to ride a bike with my kids. What are my options? I'd like to stick with a traditional style bike if I could.

Thanks
Bryan
Here are some nice short cranks. I bought the 110mm.

Short Triple Chainring Cranks
Old 06-09-14, 05:56 PM
TampaMom

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jayh
What kind did you end up getting? Also, what's your flexion on a bad day?
Here's an update - 18 months after my surgery. I started near Christmas 2012 with a (new) right knee that would barely bend. After hours rocking a stationary bike I graduated to painful stationary pedaling. Then I spent a year on a regular bike, first on my wind trainer, then carefully outdoors on paved roads, using a Hase crank shortener. With the Hase I was able to slowly rotate in a smaller circle on the side of my new knee. Over the year I was able to slowly move the shortener down the crank. Today I can now get on my bike, warm up with a few minutes by slowly and carefully pedalling, and then ride, "sans shortener." Hurrah!!! This success coincided with my bike being stolen from my wind trainer, which I'd set up to use on my front porch in early April. Unfortunately the crank shortener was still attached at the bottom of the crank (safety blanket accessibility), so now it's gone, otherwise I'd pass it on to you. Keep on trying!

Last edited by TampaMom; 06-09-14 at 05:57 PM. Reason: Typo
Old 06-09-14, 05:58 PM
TampaMom

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by TampaMom
Here's an update - 18 months after my surgery. I started near Christmas 2012 with a (new) right knee that would barely bend. After hours rocking a stationary bike I graduated to painful stationary pedaling. Then I spent a year on a regular bike, first on my wind trainer, then carefully outdoors on paved roads, using a Hase crank shortener. With the Hase I was able to slowly rotate in a smaller circle on the side of my new knee. Over the year I was able to slowly move the shortener down the crank. Today I can now get on my bike, warm up with a few minutes by slowly and carefully pedalling, and then ride, "sans shortener." Hurrah!!! This success coincided with my bike being stolen from my wind trainer, which I'd set up to use on my front porch in early April. Unfortunately the crank shortener was still attached at the bottom of the crank (safety blanket accessibility), so now it's gone, otherwise I'd pass it on to you. Keep on trying!
PS: I bought a new bike a few weeks ago, sweet deal on a 2013, XS Avail 3 Composite.
Old 06-09-14, 11:03 PM
jayh

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Wow, glad to hear that your recovery went so well. Definitely diligence pays off. I've talked to several orthopods and they don't even want to think about touching the knee, even for a knee replacement. So, I went with a drop pedal system which a machinist friend helped me put together. It looks like crap but once I installed it on my Gary Fisher Utopia, I believe I can fly. I affectionately refer to it as my "frankencrank" and I use it with some spd clipless and I can really motor. If you want to see what it looks like, here's a quick page I threw together with a couple of pictures. https://www.moebiusadvancements.com/frankencrank.html.

Oh, and enjoy the new bike. Sorry the old one got stolen, but you know, every silver lining has a cloud.
Old 07-25-14, 06:04 PM
car67

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I just came across this forum, I am looking for help to get back on a bike after a 15 year lapse. I am a 65yo retired nurse with a partial knee replacement and DJD........after several years of PT and water therapy I have been trying to get back on a bike.....I have all but given up until I ended up here after a GOOGLE search....it looks like many before me have the same issue of limited ROM......you have given me hope with all the advice given to others. I will be visiting my LBS to see how they can help me . THANK YOU for forums like these !!!
Old 01-05-19, 04:59 PM
chilaxmom

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Question Cheaper swing/pendulum crank??

I've looked at Uni-Cam and Pulse - both ship from overseas and expensive.

Are there any other manufacturers who make pendulum/swing/eccentric cranks?
Old 01-07-19, 10:06 PM
Kent T

Bikes: 2002 Trek 800 Singletrack, 1982 Bridgestone Spica

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 32 Posts
You may need a crank with different length crank arms. And also lower geared than normal. I have a short leg. I am considering a different crankset, shorter crankarm on my left side. Experimentation is encouraged, no two challenges are identical. Let us know what helps you. I also ride with braces due to cerebral palsy, spina bifida, hip issues. My right leg's ROM is impaired and limited, I am here to share knowledge with you for our mutual benefit, and those who must deal with similar issues. I want you to know, "You've Got A Friend"

Last edited by Kent T; 01-18-19 at 09:11 PM.