Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Worth buying expensive sunglasses?

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Worth buying expensive sunglasses?

Old 11-29-19, 12:53 PM
Billy Bones

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 4 Posts
Stihl [the chainsaw folks] brand. $14...safety rated...available in several lens densities...look good. Get 'em where Stihl equipment is sold...you can lose 'em, break 'em, wear 'em out by the $hit-ton and you're not out anything. I tell folks they're Italian...from Milan.
Likes For Billy Bones:
Old 11-29-19, 06:15 PM
DropBarFan

Bikes: 2013 Surly Disc Trucker, 2004 Novara Randonee , old fixie , etc

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 671 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 43 Posts
Originally Posted by H.Franco
When you buy a pair of cheap sunglasses, you often reject these benefits and make things worse. For example, if your glasses do not provide ultraviolet protection, you will increase the exposure to ultraviolet rays. Cheap sunglasses surround the light, causing your iris to allow more light. This will allow further penetration of the ultraviolet layer, which increases the damage to the ultraviolet layer, which can cause retinal detachment.
Perhaps if the glasses are really cheap & not a name brand; but Uvex etc usually have good UV protection & often cost under $10.
Old 12-01-19, 09:27 PM
timtak

Bikes: Trek Madone 5.2 SL 2007, Look KG386, R022 Re-framed Azzurri Primo, Felt Z5, Trek F7.3 FX

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 398 Post(s)
Liked 85 Times in 73 Posts
Originally Posted by H.Franco
When you buy a pair of cheap sunglasses, you often reject these benefits and make things worse.
These below are 1.5 USD and provide UV protection.
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/3303...html?spm=a2g0o
The optics and lens durability are fine too, but I need large prescription lenses so I am sticking to my visor.
Old 12-01-19, 10:43 PM
JDandy

Bikes: 1996 Gary Fisher Avant Garde, 1989 Fuji Sundance, 1994 Bridgestone X0-4, 1971 WF Holdsworth Mitral

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by timtak
These below are 1.5 USD and provide UV protection.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/3303...html?spm=a2g0o

The optics and lens durability are fine too, but I need large prescription lenses so I am sticking to my visor.

hah . . . those look to be exactly like the glasses I wear while riding now except I spent the "big" bucks and got the case, lens cloth, soft pouch, every color lens, etc. together as one package. I have been using the amber lens on cloudy Fall rides and love them. They give the allusion that it is sunny and warm even though it is cold and cloudy; and I see everything clearly. They stretch without deforming to to fit over my buff or skull cap when I am covering my ears and still fit snugly when I have no head covering on at all. If someone is looking for a cheap pair of sunglasses that do the job, I can recommend these.
Old 12-01-19, 10:49 PM
timtak

Bikes: Trek Madone 5.2 SL 2007, Look KG386, R022 Re-framed Azzurri Primo, Felt Z5, Trek F7.3 FX

My visor is yellow too. It is nice and sunny all the time :-)
Old 12-02-19, 07:23 PM
Cougrrcj

Bikes: A few...

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 620 Post(s)
Liked 370 Times in 256 Posts
My riding glasses MUST be Polarized. Glare reduction is paramount.
Next is color - I prefer an orange- to brown tint over gray because it seems to heighten colors/contrast rather than just darkening everything.
Spring temples are a plus so they aren't easily broken.
A more contoured-to-the-face shape cuts down on distracting side-lighting, but they also cannot fit so close that they steam/fog up due to exertion.
Scratch resistance is nice, too

Brand name? Not important.

Yeah, most of my sunglasses - even my DRIVING sunglasses - are sourced from discount or drug stores, but generally the 'better' lines, and still less than $30/pr Would I spend $150 on a pair of Oakley? No Frigging way!
Old 12-02-19, 07:54 PM
Cyclist753
Banned.

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 66 Posts

Last edited by Cyclist753; 01-11-20 at 11:37 AM.
Old 12-02-19, 08:11 PM
Nyah
QR-disc must die!!!

Bikes: '99 Trek 520, '20 Kona Sutra (FOR SALE 48cm), '21 Simon-Bikes mini-velo and a chromoly-framed folding bicycle with drop-bars and V-brakes, that rolls even while folded.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 397 Post(s)
Liked 199 Times in 147 Posts
As long as the cheap sunglasses have polarized lenses with a brown hue, and don't let sun in from above the frames, they're usually good enough for me. Target has been a consistent source for those. At night I wear yellow shop glasses that are shaped like sunglasses.
Old 12-03-19, 07:00 AM
noimagination

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 362 Post(s)
Liked 413 Times in 243 Posts
I don't know, and don't intend to find out. I'm satisfied with the cheap-o Performance brand interchangeable lens ones I've got now. I might very well like more expensive sun glasses, and find them "worth it", but there's no way to know without trying them.

Some more expensive stuff I've tried has turned out to be "worth it". I was gifted Camelback insulated bottles after using the cheapest available bottles for decades, I'll never go back. Sidi mega cycling shoes - completely and utterly worth every penny (for me).
Other more expensive stuff has turned out to be a waste of money. I bought "expensive" PI bibs after years of using Performance brand, but the PI just didn't fit me right, rubbed me bloody on rides > 1 hr, I've stuck to Performance ever since.
Likes For noimagination:
Old 12-03-19, 10:11 AM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 510 Post(s)
Quoted: 7287 Post(s)
Liked 2,361 Times in 1,380 Posts
Originally Posted by Texboy

Curiously, I can't use polarized glasses. I get glare from things like windshields. My eye doctor told me that I represent a tiny fraction of people who experience this. I don't understand it, but there it is.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 12-03-19, 02:48 PM
NomarsGirl

Bikes: Specialized Ruby Sport

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 318 Post(s)
Liked 314 Times in 165 Posts
Originally Posted by timtak
I recommend tinted bicycle helmet visors. 30USD gets you a grey lens and a dual layer helmet. Another 15USD pays for three spare visors in clear, yellow, and rainbow.
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/3285...3a834e8dEdJhAo
I mainly use the yellow lens and bolt Trivex (virtually unbreakable) prescription lenses on the inside. The advantages is that they are less likely to get sweaty, or get lost, and they provide a wider range of vision. I can get low without looking out the top of my glasses. The anti-insect wire mesh is good in summer, and the visor keeps the cold air from my face in winter.

Visor Lenses by Timothy Takemoto, on
Flickr
When it is really sunny I can wear the darker tinted ones but find I rarely do.

The End of Goofy Glasses by Timothy Takemoto, on Flickr
These days the bolts are made of stainless steel.
You definitely have FULL coverage with those.
Old 12-03-19, 08:13 PM
Myosmith
Lover of Old Chrome Moly

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 143 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 17 Posts
IMHO, No . . . there is no reason to spend $100+ on sunglasses for riding. I get wrap around polycarbonate safety glasses from the big box home stores and they work great for about $12-15. I have a dark smoke, dark amber and light amber glasses, as well as a pair of yellow Remington shooters glasses (also about $15) for cloudy, gray days. The optical clarity is excellent and any distortion is negligible to non-existent. I've had the dark amber ones for about three years now and they are my daily sunglasses for all kinds of activities. Despite a lot of use and abuse, they are still nearly scratch free.
Old 12-04-19, 07:51 AM
bblair

Bikes: Lynskey R230, Trek 5200, 1975 Raleigh Pro, 1973 Falcon ,Trek T50 Tandem and a 1968 Paramount in progress.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 359 Post(s)
Liked 372 Times in 224 Posts
Yes, worth every penny. I had cataract surgery 10 years ago, so I can't see my computer or maps easily.

Some things in life you can skimp on: shirts, water bottles, socks....some things are worth spending on: glasses, seat, tires.

Rudy Project prescriptions, through my optical shop.
Old 12-05-19, 04:14 PM
timtak

Originally Posted by NomarsGirl
You definitely have FULL coverage with those.
I wear balaclava-like neck-warmers, and wind impermeable snowboarder's ones in the deepest winter, over the lower part of my face so the only thing that sticks out is my nose.

The only parts of myself that I can see when I am cycling are my nose and brow, like a Taotie.

Last edited by timtak; 12-06-19 at 06:31 AM.
Old 12-06-19, 01:22 PM
Texboy

Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Don’t forget Peeps. These clean instantly.