Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Anyone else using bar ends this way?

Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Anyone else using bar ends this way?

Old 10-17-19, 05:24 PM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,102 Times in 1,366 Posts
I thought about putting inboard bar ends or maybe tri bars on my MTB for commuting just because the flat bars only feel best when out of the saddle, elbows out. They are too straight for my wrists when just winching along. But then a Jones bar or its clones would be an overcorrection for my kind of riding on this bike. The SQLab 16 degree handlebars look good but not $90 good much less $190 carbon good. They also look like they have no straight section to mount stuff, a nice feature of the Salsa bar that came with the bike. I was thinking of only the straight ends to get a position like roadie hoods, the front hooks are just too far away.

In the end I've left it alone. My commute is short enough and has enough fun that it doesn't get annoying, and at 750 mm it's wide enough I can place my hands inboard and get a natural wrist position and narrower stance. Maybe if it ever becomes a bike packing rig, I'll revisit.
Genesis 49:16-17

Last edited by Darth Lefty; 10-17-19 at 06:00 PM.
Likes For Darth Lefty:
Old 10-17-19, 05:31 PM
Lemond1985
Sophomore Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1628 Post(s)
Liked 1,057 Times in 631 Posts
Allow me to serve up some Ebay spam for a somewhat similar product, these look fun. I think Cinelli made the original ones:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Cin...kAAOSweNpdkToQ

Old 10-18-19, 11:05 AM
davei1980
Very Slow Rider

Bikes: Jones Plus LWB, 1983 Centurion Japanese CrMo bike

Quoted: 500 Post(s)
Liked 132 Times in 101 Posts
Originally Posted by Lemond1985
Allow me to serve up some Ebay spam for a somewhat similar product, these look fun. I think Cinelli made the original ones:

This is NEXT LEVEL!
Old 02-24-20, 05:13 PM
HopHornbeam

Bikes: 1987 Schwinn High Sierra, 1991 GT Tachyon, 1999 Bike Friday Air Friday, 1986 Bridgestone MB-2, 1995 Trek 970 SHX, One One Inbred, 1986 Specialized Rockhopper Jr., 1987 Schwinn Sierra, (formerly owned): 1995 Cannondale R800C, 1988 Schwinn High Sierra

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 4 Posts
I went the other direction to get a similar effect to the original poster’s. I put bar end stubs on the bends of some bullhorn bars to get an extra flat bar position. I also like to ride with my palms at the junction of the bullhorns and bar ends for a more natural wrist angle (about halfway between 0 and 90 degrees).
Likes For HopHornbeam:
Old 02-25-20, 03:55 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7341 Post(s)
Liked 2,440 Times in 1,424 Posts
I guess we could call them bar middles.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 02-26-20, 01:08 PM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5222 Post(s)
Liked 3,575 Times in 2,339 Posts
Originally Posted by davei1980
Anyone else using bar ends this way? Points for creativity?? 🤔
not exactly but yes!

tried this "combo" for a while when I started commuting with an old MTB. then I got a hybrid bike, then finally a drop bar road bike. those bolt on drop bars were awkward cuz of the angle of the straight bars which really weren't straight. I also tried them on the hybrid but had the same issue. I liked the high bar ends for the multitude of positions, in particular resting my hands at the very top of them, especially when out of the saddle.

Old 02-27-20, 10:42 AM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Flat bar frames are an inch or even two longer than drop bar frames. While I do want a more neutral wrist sometimes, I seldom find myself wanting more reach.
Old 03-04-20, 11:47 PM
abhishek_s

Bikes: GT Avalanche Comp, 2019

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
davei1980 How is your inner bar ends setup working? I'm planning to do something similar as my existing 720mm flat bars on my GT Avalanche is literally a pain in the neck for rides above 1 hour
Old 03-05-20, 04:29 AM
abhishek_s

Bikes: GT Avalanche Comp, 2019

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by subgrade
Yes.
These are long enough to give me 3 additional hand positions, and they can be adjusted also by rotating them around their longitudinal axis
Thanks for the info and subgrade . May I ask which bar ends are these? Most of the ones I've found online are fixed and have no rotate function.
Old 03-05-20, 05:07 AM
subgrade

Bikes: Focus Crater Lake

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 391 Post(s)
Liked 336 Times in 204 Posts
Originally Posted by abhishek_s
Thanks for the info and subgrade . May I ask which bar ends are these? Most of the ones I've found online are fixed and have no rotate function.
I don't know, I got them for an icecream from some random local guy on Facebook marketplace, and they had no writings on them.

These look very similar. try searching for 'adjustable bar ends', they aren't as ubiquitous as the fixed style, but can be found.
Likes For subgrade:
Old 03-06-20, 03:29 PM
Miele Man

Bikes: iele Latina, Miele Suprema, Miele Uno LS, Miele Miele Beta, MMTB, Bianchi Model Unknown, Fiori Venezia, Fiori Napoli, VeloSport Adamas AX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1324 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 640 Posts
Yes, I've done that with long bar ends on a few MTBs. Now I just put on a dropbar, new brake levers and bare end shifters.

Cheers
Old 03-07-20, 03:38 PM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Another option if you're feeling handy

Bi-planes are the future | Peter Verdone Designs

Likes For Darth Lefty:
Old 03-16-20, 06:15 PM
davei1980
Very Slow Rider

Originally Posted by abhishek_s
davei1980 How is your inner bar ends setup working? I'm planning to do something similar as my existing 720mm flat bars on my GT Avalanche is literally a pain in the neck for rides above 1 hour
Really well! the aero tuck position can be dialed in such that you're not uncomfortably hunched over; noticeable advantage in headwind also.
Old 05-25-20, 11:54 AM
hermanchauw

Bikes: Voodoo Hoodoo, Linus Libertine

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 9 Posts
Old 05-25-20, 12:19 PM
davei1980
Very Slow Rider

Originally Posted by hermanchauw
yasss!!!
Old 08-01-20, 02:01 AM
iandusud

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by subgrade
Yes.
These are long enough to give me 3 additional hand positions, and they can be adjusted also by rotating them around their longitudinal axis (i.e. the hooked ends can be turned inwards/outwards). One of them (or maybe both, I don't really know) got slightly bent in a crash a couple months before. It can be seen if looking closely, but not really felt. Or maybe it just got turned a bit inwards, I'll see about that next time I rewrap them. Which might happen soon.

While commuting in the city I use the two hand positions where I can reach the brakes - the default one - on the grips, and one where my palms rest partially on the grips, partially on the bar-ends, with brake levers being accessible by 3rd and 4th fingers. On longer rides I usually spend most of my time on the bar-ends.
I know this is an old thread but I only just seen it. What you have done is exactly what I'm thinking of doing on my tandem which currently has drop bars. I ride 90% on the hoods and would like to replicate this position using bar ends on flats as you have, with the advantage of a wider bar for better control when needed. I was particularly interested in your comment about being able to rotate the bar ends along their longitudinal axis. I've not come across bar end with this feature. Which ones are they?

Thanks, Ian
Old 08-01-20, 11:16 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Ala # 37 , with more steerer tube stacking stems can work.

I stacked stems to fit a bar bag mount on the lower bar tube..
Old 08-03-20, 03:21 AM
subgrade

Bikes: Focus Crater Lake

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 391 Post(s)
Liked 336 Times in 204 Posts
Originally Posted by iandusud
I know this is an old thread but I only just seen it. What you have done is exactly what I'm thinking of doing on my tandem which currently has drop bars. I ride 90% on the hoods and would like to replicate this position using bar ends on flats as you have, with the advantage of a wider bar for better control when needed. I was particularly interested in your comment about being able to rotate the bar ends along their longitudinal axis. I've not come across bar end with this feature. Which ones are they?

Thanks, Ian
These particular ones are some used noname bar ends I got in exchange for an ice cream, look just like these: https://www.velogear.com.au/long-bar-ends.html
RFR (sub-brand of Cube) makes similar ones: https://www.mhw-bike.com/rfr-adjusta...g-black-154272
Try googling "adjustable bar ends" and see what it gets you.
Old 08-05-20, 06:24 AM
DireWolfNC

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
This was my old commuter rig. I called her the Millenium Falcon of bikes. She didn't look like much, but she had it where it counted.

I had double bar ends on this bike for multiple hand positions, and had purchased the middle ones specifically because they had the same diameter as the drop bars I had on it before this, so I could continue using the bar-end shifters I already had.
Old 08-05-20, 07:01 AM
DorkDisk

Bikes: Ritchey Swiss Cross | Teesdale Kona Hot | Haro Extreme | Specialized Stumpjumper Comp | Cannondale F1000 | Shogun 1000 | Cannondale M500 | Norco Charger | Marin Muirwoods 29er | Shogun Kaze | Breezer Lightning

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 576 Post(s)
Liked 1,000 Times in 488 Posts
Originally Posted by Lemond1985

Spinacci, were they?

Trek made these in crabon:

Old 08-05-20, 08:45 AM
ClydeClydeson

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 581 Post(s)
Liked 921 Times in 518 Posts
In the early 90s I cut a bar super narrow, mounted the bar ends (about where they are on your setup, but no handlebar extending past the bar-ends) then mounted the shifters and brake levers on the bar ends.

The result was not good.

How you have them, though, seems like a reasonable option for more hand positions. My experiment was a failure because I only had the bar ends and no other hand positions.
Old 08-06-20, 08:53 AM
asknotshallnot

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
need to post 10 times
Old 08-08-20, 03:54 PM
greatscott

Bikes: 1984 Fuji Club, Suntour ARX; 2013 Lynskey Peloton, mostly 105 with Ultegra rear derailleur, Enve 2.0 fork; 2020 Masi Giramondo 700c, full Deore with TRP dual piston mech disk brakes

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 324 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 71 Posts
Originally Posted by skidder
I tried doing that once to simulate TT extensions, but it didn't work since they aren't as long as the TT extensions and didn't give me any advantage - if anything I felt they limited front end control since they were closer to the stem. I was trying to get an idea of what TT extensions would feel like on long rides/touring rides with the idea of using them with a flat bar instead of drop bars. Never did get extensions, but I did change the drops to flat bars.
what if you had placed the extensions you had close enough so the ends would have touched or nearly touched? Then you could have grabbed the top of curve better?