Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

The ultimate Apollo thread........

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

The ultimate Apollo thread........

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-19, 06:59 PM
Londonsworld 

Bikes: 71 American Eagle Olympiad, 03 Trek 5200 P1, 2013 Trek 6 series Domane, 83 Apollo branded Kuwahara, 78 Trek TX 300, 73 Nishiki Intl. 86 Nishiki Prestige, Nishiki Olympic, 72 and 73 Nishiki Safari', two-speed Electra BMX cruiser 1, 87 Nishiki Linear

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 65 Times in 38 Posts
Apollo SR 5 / Kuwahara Japan - Canada (Fred Deeley)

A good friend of mine found this machine (Serial # 83 1 30777) in a thrift store and stripped it for parts. He was tossing the frame and fork in the dumpster :-( I saved it and figured I'd use old parts to get it on the road again. The only parts that I did not have in my shed was the headset, BB and 25.4 seatpost. I found the Kuwahara headset and seatpost on ebay and bought a cheap Shimano BB from my LBS. Found Race face handlebar off a trashed Kona MTB. Old SR stem (too short for me) Bontrager Kovee Elite saddle, Bontrager tires, Specialized Axis wheel set, Old scratched up Shimano 600 cranks off a Nishiki Tri A, Kyokuto Pro Vic 2 pedals, ancient Cateye reflectors, old Electra bell, Specialized grips, C3 brake levers, lightly used KMC pink chain, NIB Dia-Compe brakes (I think I traded parts for the brakes a few years ago and old NOS Shimano freewheel. It's a smooth riding bike..... :-)

Old 11-13-19, 09:38 PM
kalker

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
72 Fred Deeley Deelite apollo

Likes For kalker:
Old 11-13-19, 09:56 PM
kalker

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
72 Fred Deeley Deelite apollo

Not sure why the text didn't stick but that was my Deeley before I sold it . All original except tires, cables and bar tape. It was beautiful to ride and a real great looking bike . This is my 78 sr5 that is completely original and it is an amazing ride . Apollo's have a bit of a cult following here in BC and I am always surprised at how many people want to look at and talk about them and share their experiences growing up with them .

Likes For kalker:
Old 02-17-20, 08:24 PM
EowynJane

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Single speed Apollo?

I have a single speed Apollo that I didn’t see anywhere in this thread. The closest one had two bars where mine only has one. The serial number is a different format too... 4A48111. I can’t post pictures yet but when I can I will. I’m just looking for more info about it, I can’t find anything on the internet about it, it’s kind of driving me nuts.
Old 04-26-20, 09:46 PM
jpfooty11

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
I just picked up this 84. Zukhan1 said it's a blue line edition. Was pretty dirty and when picked it up but I took it all apart today and did a major clean, still needs a few adjustments but it's pretty great so far.

Before clean up, really grimy

This is after a few hours of taking things apart, shining them up and putting back together. Everything cleaned up really nice, even the brake levers, has some scratching all over and the ends of the pedals are pretty banged up, but it seems pretty good for an old girl.
Likes For jpfooty11:
Old 04-27-20, 11:04 AM
T-Mar

Mentioned: 654 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4722 Post(s)
Liked 3,036 Times in 1,874 Posts
Originally Posted by EowynJane
I have a single speed Apollo that I didn’t see anywhere in this thread. The closest one had two bars where mine only has one. The serial number is a different format too... 4A48111. I can’t post pictures yet but when I can I will. I’m just looking for more info about it, I can’t find anything on the internet about it, it’s kind of driving me nuts.
The serial number format is consistent with M-a-t-s-u-s-h-i-t-a, a Japanese company best known for their Panasonic brand bicycles. While most Apollo brand bicycles were manufactured by Kuwahara, the brand was owned by Fred Deeley Imports and as such, they could have the bicycles contract manufactured by anybody. Yours is probably a 1984 model, though I wouldn't rule out 1974. Please post pictures.
Old 05-17-20, 07:01 PM
cb400

Bikes: 1990 Rocky Mountain Hammer, 19(7?)?Le Croco, 2000 Mikado Magellan

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 14 Posts

Sharing the 1980 Gran Sport I rebuilt only to discover I am too short for it. It came with some upright bars and low end levers/shifters. I was able to trade for drop bars with 105 aero levers, not original but much better than before.
Likes For cb400:
Old 08-21-20, 02:21 PM
Londonsworld 

Bikes: 71 American Eagle Olympiad, 03 Trek 5200 P1, 2013 Trek 6 series Domane, 83 Apollo branded Kuwahara, 78 Trek TX 300, 73 Nishiki Intl. 86 Nishiki Prestige, Nishiki Olympic, 72 and 73 Nishiki Safari', two-speed Electra BMX cruiser 1, 87 Nishiki Linear

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 65 Times in 38 Posts
Nice
Old 03-11-21, 12:47 AM
mech986 

Bikes: Italvega Super Speciales and Superlights

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 355 Post(s)
Liked 345 Times in 174 Posts
What is the general model hierarchy of the Apollo bikes during the 70's and 80's? Does anyone know the specifics of what tubing with which models?
Old 03-16-21, 04:33 PM
howie2wheels

Bikes: Specialized Epic Competition, Specialized Sequoia, Rocky Mountain Sherpa Touring, Rocky Mountain Fusion, Raleigh Challenger, Raleigh Cetury, Raleigh Rocky II.

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Apollo Kuwahara Mountain Bike

Bare frame and forks fitted tempoarily with random bits saved from from previous projects to see how it rides.

Old 11-07-21, 05:51 AM
CNsylvester

Bikes: Apollo II, Roadmaster dragster, Hoffy, Speedwell, Gitane tandem

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Very nice indeed!

I have an Apollo ii from 1981 that is near new.

I tried posting a photo but I can't

Regards ken
Old 12-31-21, 09:30 AM
BodnarDave

Bikes: Apollo Triathlon, BRC Roadace, CCM Imperial

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by CNsylvester
Very nice indeed!

Regards ken
Just found this 'Ultimate Apollo Thread'. Nice to see it's still active. Much good info for this Apollo fan. Still reeling from loss of my Edmonton-bought Deely '85 Apollo Triathlon to theft. Identical to Ricohman's. I see many models--not sure which ones had the light CrMo frame, but this is a feature I insist on. I found light weight a real asset. Wanting more now to find another Triathlon--light, and shorter racing frame makes it nimble (but a pain to R&R the rear wheel). Now I know why they're more common on west coast, so will look for used ones in that market. Ricohman, would snap yours up (if you still have it) in an instant!
Old 01-01-22, 08:09 AM
T-Mar

Originally Posted by CNsylvester
Very nice indeed!

Regards ken
Ignore the forum warning/rules. Photos will upload to a gallery album under your user name. Then a forum member can access your gallery album post the photo (drive side please) in this thread, on your behalf.
Old 01-08-22, 05:08 PM
Hummer

Bikes: 1981 Raleigh GP, 1985 Norco Bush Pilot, . . .

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 241 Post(s)
Liked 187 Times in 136 Posts
Originally Posted by BodnarDave
Just found this 'Ultimate Apollo Thread'. Nice to see it's still active. Much good info for this Apollo fan. Still reeling from loss of my Edmonton-bought Deely '85 Apollo Triathlon to theft. Identical to Ricohman's. I see many models--not sure which ones had the light CrMo frame, but this is a feature I insist on. I found light weight a real asset. Wanting more now to find another Triathlon--light, and shorter racing frame makes it nimble (but a pain to R&R the rear wheel). Now I know why they're more common on west coast, so will look for used ones in that market. Ricohman, would snap yours up (if you still have it) in an instant!
Hello BodnarDave,
welcome to the forum.

If you like Apollos with CrMo frames there are many options.
Sport touring: Prestige, PrestigeXL, Regent, Super Sport, Club Sport.
More speed oriented: Gran Sport, Gran Tour, Criterium, Imperial, Concourse.
Touring: Club Tourist, Gran Touriste.

Gran Sport 1980

Gran Sport 1981

Prestige XL 1983

Gran Touriste 1983
Old 01-10-22, 09:27 AM
BodnarDave

Bikes: Apollo Triathlon, BRC Roadace, CCM Imperial

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Apollos with CrMo frames

Thanks, Hummer, for that info about light-weight Apollo models. I'm not the only one who wondered what all there was--clearly, many models. You list several in each of three categories. If they all have CrMo frames, what are the differences among these categories? Frame dimensions? Wheelbase? In which one would Triathlon fit? I'm guessing 'speed'; I was told when I bought it that it was a racing model of Apollo.
Old 01-11-22, 08:14 AM
T-Mar

Don't go strictly by model names. While it will help you narrow down the search, the tubeset can be year dependent. For instance, the early version of the above mentioned Apollo Prestige was built with hi-tensile steel (see attached photos). Once you find a model that may be CrMo, take a close look at the tubing decal for confirmation.

Also, all CrMo frames are not the same. There's plain gauge, single butted, double butted, triple butted and quadruple butted, and various thicknesses for each. Some frames may also use only a partial CrMo tubeset. It's very common to use CrMo only for the three main tubes and to use lesser grade carbon-manganese or hi-tensile steel for the stays and forks. Some manufacturers even use only a single CrMo tube, just so they can slap on a CrMo decal.

If the decal states PG, plain gauge, straight gauge or doesn't mention butting, that means the tubes have a constant thickness along their entire length. Butted tubes are thinner in their mid-section, for lightness and resiliency.

If the decals indicates CrMo and states "tube" (singular) you've only got a single CrMo main tube. If it says '"tubes" (plural), then you've got CrMo in at least two of the main tubes, though it's usually all three of the main tubes. It it says. "tubes, forks and stays", then the entire frameset is CrMo.

In the above examples of decals posted Hummer, the first decal indcates a full CrMo frameset, with butted main tubes.

In the second example, it is plain gauge CrMo, only in the three main tubes.

In the third example, the frame has only a single, plain gauge, CrMo tube.

Last edited by T-Mar; 01-11-22 at 08:18 AM.
Old 06-18-22, 06:02 AM
Az72

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Apollo 4 decals

Evening all,

picked up an Apollo 4 and she’s had better days so looking at a rebuild. What I’m hoping is that someone could point me in the right direction to find replacement decals for an Apollo 4 before I get to the striping part. Any help would be great.

oh, there are some beautiful bikes on here to and am a little bit envious.

Last edited by Az72; 06-18-22 at 06:07 AM.
Old 07-02-22, 05:18 PM
Az72

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Silver mink

Afternoon all,

looking for a bit more help please. Have a ‘81 Apollo 4 silver mink. All shimarno 600 group set but in bad shape. Looking at a full strip and repaint along with a little pitting repair. Have sourced replacement decals, thanks Greg, but was hoping someone has photos of a silver mink bike I could see how it all fits together.

thanks again all
Old 09-03-22, 01:08 PM
VintageRide

Bikes: 1970 Gitane TDF; 1985 Norco Magnum GT ; 2013 Rawland Stag ; 1981 Fuji 650b; Early '80's Kuwahara Cascade

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 156 Times in 55 Posts
I wonder if this local to me Apollo road bike would make a good Rando conversion? I already have two 650b bikes so might consider a 700C version. Keeping it at that wheel size generally means the trail does not have to be as low as 650b and the rake appears to be enough. Seller is asking 150.00 o.b.o. and condition is good. Interesting use of thumb shifters on the handlebars though I would revert to down tube. Nice flat ramps are also a positive. I think it is a mid 1970's MK IV, some of the components are 600 series.

I would be changing the gearing to a wider ratio freewheel, triple crank set, MKS Sylvan touring pedals, wider Rene Herse tires, front bag and rack, shorter stem ( Nitto Technomic ) and better seat etc. so a bit involved so want to insure it is worthwhile. If I can squeeze 38 mm tires with fenders that would be great but 35 is probably the limit.

Last edited by VintageRide; 09-03-22 at 01:14 PM.
Old 09-03-22, 08:52 PM
rgvg
Car free since 2018

Bikes: Mostly japanese ones

Quoted: 259 Post(s)
Liked 269 Times in 134 Posts
Originally Posted by VintageRide
I wonder if this local to me Apollo road bike would make a good Rando conversion? I already have two 650b bikes so might consider a 700C version. Keeping it at that wheel size generally means the trail does not have to be as low as 650b and the rake appears to be enough. Seller is asking 150.00 o.b.o. and condition is good. Interesting use of thumb shifters on the handlebars though I would revert to down tube. Nice flat ramps are also a positive. I think it is a mid 1970's MK IV, some of the components are 600 series.

I would be changing the gearing to a wider ratio freewheel, triple crank set, MKS Sylvan touring pedals, wider Rene Herse tires, front bag and rack, shorter stem ( Nitto Technomic ) and better seat etc. so a bit involved so want to insure it is worthwhile. If I can squeeze 38 mm tires with fenders that would be great but 35 is probably the limit.

Idk but I think you should try it and let us know. Sounds like a reasonable price for the area, if it's legit.
Old 09-23-22, 10:38 PM
Az72

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Shimano freewheel

Afternoon all,

wondering if anyone in their travels have run across a shimano 60 freewheel. Have one on a Apollo 4 I’m fixing up and hoping there’s a little info out there on this particular freewheel.

any info be great

thanx

Last edited by Az72; 12-20-22 at 03:06 AM.
Old 01-14-23, 01:06 AM
Rat Deelite

Bikes: 1974 Rat Deelite

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Another Deelite

A buddy had a rusty Deelite that lived outside which he used to commute to the pub. I fell in love with the rusty bucket and the Deelite history and filled him in on the little I knew of it. He moved and gave it to me. I stripped it, cleaned it, lubed it, straightened the bars, straightened the cranks, bought a new 27" front wheel to match the rear and remove the 26" that was in front, took off the Dia Compe front brake, (cause fixie) and because I've always loved the rusty rat rod look, I went with with red rims and white walls. Still have some questions about it though...Serial # S4 8 005 - August 1974?What is factory rim size? Assuming steel frame? 3 Speed? I haven't been able to find any pictures of Three Speeds! I'd love to see what an original looks like. Thanks!

Likes For Rat Deelite:
Old 06-18-23, 05:51 PM
Az72

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quick question re photos

Morning all.

just checking to see, is there a way around the the 10 posts before able to post photos rule ?still not close yet and I’d like to share a few photos

thanks all
Old 06-22-23, 12:05 PM
Hummer

Bikes: 1981 Raleigh GP, 1985 Norco Bush Pilot, . . .

Quoted: 241 Post(s)
Liked 187 Times in 136 Posts
Originally Posted by Az72
Morning all.

just checking to see, is there a way around the the 10 posts before able to post photos rule ?still not close yet and I’d like to share a few photos

thanks all
Good day Az72, welcome to the forum.

Here is the link to your album of pictures. https://www.bikeforums.net/g/album/29733528

Australian Apollo IV.

Edit: possibly from 1981.

Last edited by Hummer; 06-22-23 at 12:15 PM. Reason: more info.
Old 06-22-23, 06:59 PM
Az72

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks heaps Hummer

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.