Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Cycling influences your tastes in music?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Cycling influences your tastes in music?

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-20, 12:44 PM
ricardoglopez

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I can not go out and ride without music

Obviously my taste in music has changed sine my teen years. But now in my mid 30's I can not go out for a ride and not have my headphones on, full volume, blasting some Aphex Twin, Autechre or Sonic Youth. But is real that you can use the music to give you an impulse, a motivation, I will recommend listen some techno albums, like Speedy J or house albums like anything from Brame & Hamo. Be careful though when you ride with all the volume up cranking the head, I got used to for so many years doing it and I'm always alert on the street.
Old 11-09-20, 01:23 PM
dkatz1

Quoted: 123 Post(s)
Liked 83 Times in 63 Posts
Has cycling influenced anyone else's tastes in music as well?[/QUOTE]

NO!!!! Absolutely not.
A couple of things aboout that. I've listend intenstly to music since I was in grade school (I'm 69). I still do.
I cannot stand to listen to music while riding, for many reason.
I feel cut off from things I may need to hear.
I LIKE being alone with my own thoughts, and the music that is so often playing insdie my head.
The sound quality generally sucks anyway (even when i tried once with a good pair of over the ear headphones).
Mostly: I like being alone with my own thoughts (I am NOT boring, and I am never bored), and I don't think it's safe.
If anything it's the other way around, as I have written and recorded such great bicycle music. Some of the greatest bicycle music in existence.
This is from a story about a zen monk and his five bicycle riding students...and I think through my compostions while I'm on my bike...actually may not be good music to ride a bike too, but then, that's never been my thing.

Why Do You Ride

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zL3g1rkfKro

Riding A bicyce (from a quote of Albert Einstein, who is on the cover of the album--which was on Downbeat's Best of 2015 list)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5XqhI0r5PQ4

Why Do You Ride?
Darrell Katz (from a zen story)
A Zen teacher saw five of his students, returning from market on their bicycles.

When they arrived at the monastery

the teacher asked his students, “why do you ride?

Why do you ride?”

The first student said

“The bicycle is carrying the sack of potatoes

I'm glad to get them off my back”

The teacher praised him:

“You are a smart boy

when you grow old

you will not walk hunched over like I do.”

The second student replied:

“I love to watch the trees and fields pass by as I roll down

the path!”
The teacher commended him:

"your eyes are open and you see the world".

The third student replied “when I ride my bicycle, I am content to chant

nam myoho renge kyo.”

The teacher gave praise to his student: "your mind

will roll with the ease of a newly trued wheel.”

The fourth student replied to the question, "When I

ride my bicycle I live in harmony with all

sentient beings. That's why I ride.”

The teacher was pleased, and said to him, "You are

riding on the golden path of non harming."

The fifth student replied "I ride my bicycle to ride my

bicycle. I ride my bicycle to ride my bicycle "

The Zen teacher sat at the feet of his fifth student and

said, "Master! Master, I am your student.

I am your student!”

Why do you ride?

Why do you ride?

Last edited by dkatz1; 11-09-20 at 01:27 PM.
Old 11-09-20, 01:32 PM
CargoDane
Not a newbie to cycling

Bikes: Omnium Cargo Ti with Rohloff, Bullitt Milk Plus, Dahon Smooth Hound

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 356 Post(s)
Liked 323 Times in 199 Posts
I'm not sure what stories like that prove. It's like the story of whether a tree makes a noise if no one is around to hear it. It's supposed to be "zen", but as we know what sound waves are, we know that it does make a sound even if no human (or other animals) are around to hear it. Not much actual "wisdom" in things like that, regardless of people agreeing with the sentiment or not.
Old 11-09-20, 01:38 PM
texaspandj

Bikes: '85, '86 , '87 , '88 , '89 Centurion Dave Scott Ironman.

Mentioned: 99 Post(s)
Quoted: 1605 Post(s)
Liked 583 Times in 380 Posts
Originally Posted by dkatz1
Has cycling influenced anyone else's tastes in music as well?
NO!!!! Absolutely not.
A couple of things aboout that. I've listend intenstly to music since I was in grade school (I'm 69). I still do.
I cannot stand to listen to music while riding, for many reason.
I feel cut off from things I may need to hear.
I LIKE being alone with my own thoughts, and the music that is so often playing insdie my head.
The sound quality generally sucks anyway (even when i tried once with a good pair of over the ear headphones).
Mostly: I like being alone with my own thoughts (I am NOT boring, and I am never bored), and I don't think it's safe.
If anything it's the other way around, as I have written and recorded such great bicycle music. Some of the greatest bicycle music in existence.
This is from a story about a zen monk and his five bicycle riding students...and I think through my compostions while I'm on my bike...actually may not be good music to ride a bike too, but then, that's never been my thing.

Why Do You Ride

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zL3g1rkfKro

Riding A bicyce (from a quote of Albert Einstein, who is on the cover of the album--which was on Downbeat's Best of 2015 list)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5XqhI0r5PQ4

Why Do You Ride?
Darrell Katz (from a zen story)
A Zen teacher saw five of his students, returning from market on their bicycles.

When they arrived at the monastery

the teacher asked his students, “why do you ride?

Why do you ride?”

The first student said

“The bicycle is carrying the sack of potatoes

I'm glad to get them off my back”

The teacher praised him:

“You are a smart boy

when you grow old

you will not walk hunched over like I do.”

The second student replied:

“I love to watch the trees and fields pass by as I roll down

the path!”
The teacher commended him:

"your eyes are open and you see the world".

The third student replied “when I ride my bicycle, I am content to chant

nam myoho renge kyo.”

The teacher gave praise to his student: "your mind

will roll with the ease of a newly trued wheel.”

The fourth student replied to the question, "When I

ride my bicycle I live in harmony with all

sentient beings. That's why I ride.”

The teacher was pleased, and said to him, "You are

riding on the golden path of non harming."

The fifth student replied "I ride my bicycle to ride my

bicycle. I ride my bicycle to ride my bicycle "

The Zen teacher sat at the feet of his fifth student and

said, "Master! Master, I am your student.

I am your student!”

Why do you ride?

Why do you ride?[/QUOTE]
Using your logic I must be a Master at riding and listening to music.
Reality check, I'm only a master at Bating.
Old 11-09-20, 02:53 PM
friday1970

Bikes: Optima Baron LR, '14 Nishiki Maricopa,'87 Trek 330 Elance, '89 Miyata 1400, '85 Peugeot PGN10, '04 Fuji Ace, '06 Giant Rincon, '95 Giant Allegre, '83 Trek 620, '86 Schwinn High Sierra

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 225 Post(s)
Liked 163 Times in 107 Posts
Originally Posted by Retfor
There are bands that combine metal with kpop and or other techno based music. (industrial metal. ) That might suit your tastes for riding.

Some bands to check out: black light discipline, blood stain child, korn (the path of totality cd), baby metal and others.
I am familiar with Baby Metal, but I'll have to check out the others you've mentioned.
Also check out Dreamcatcher out of Korea. Though I consider them still part of KPop, they do have a distinct, more metal sound than anyone else in mainstream KPop

Last edited by friday1970; 11-13-20 at 09:23 AM.
Likes For friday1970:
Old 11-09-20, 03:37 PM
kcdoug

Bikes: Mid-80s Vitus 979; '85 Schwinn High Sierra

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by friday1970
Being a teen in the 80's, I loved good heavy metal. Stuff like Megadeth, Iron Maiden, Judas Priest, etc. And then into the 90 with more metal, stuff like Soundgarden, Pantera. And then into the early 2000's with Slipknot, Disturbed and others.
While I rode a bit in my teens and twenty's, I really didn't start getting serious until my mid to late 30's. And I tried to listen to metal while riding. It just didn't seem to fit. It just..I dunno...not much of a motivator.

A few years ago, my daughters were into the anime/kpop scene. They offered to upload some of the more techno kpop stuff to my phone. I've always thought this stuff to be a bit cheesy. But being bored on a long ride and not wanting to listen to my metal tracks, I decided to pull up their playlist and...it wasn't that bad! Nice upbeat music, good steady beat, and it put me into a good mood. If anything, it was a good beat that seemed to fit much more nicely with cycling than guitars and screaming.
I do remember liking of the of the early EDM stuff, like Technotronic, Labouche, Snap!, etc. .These got uploaded to my playlists, and they fit nicely into my long rides too.
With the advent of streaming radio on smartphones, I've searched several stations. I've settled on one that always fits cycling, PulsRadio Dance.

Now, Ive read that as people age, their music tastes do too. And this might be the case. But for now, the upbeat EDM stuff seems to fit my cycling best, and that seems to be the genre I listen to most now, even on my drive to work.

TLDR:
Cycling made me find music more suited for this activity. and upbeat EDM type stuff has fit the bill to much that I now rarely listen to the stuff I did when I was younger.

Has cycling influenced anyone else's tastes in music as well?
This is not a direct answer to your question, but lately I've been reading "The Masked Rider" by Neil Peart, the former (and deceased) drummer of Rush. It chronicles his cycling through the county of Cameroon in Africa and is quite a good read. There's very little about drumming in the book, but it does offer some reflections on African music. But mostly, it's about a tough cycling tour with a small group. It's obvious he was quite a cyclist and I'm enjoying it immensely.
-Doug
Likes For kcdoug:
Old 11-11-20, 06:59 PM
athix

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I like to have music playing through the speaker on my cell phone mounted on my bike. It sounds like my music background is similar to yours, but I have quite wide-ranging tastes. I also find EDM to be the only music I care to listen to while I ride, and I love it. The only time I listen to my EDM playlist anymore is when I ride (so I don't get tired of it), and then I have it going pretty much every ride.
Likes For athix:
Old 11-13-20, 09:28 AM
friday1970

Bikes: Optima Baron LR, '14 Nishiki Maricopa,'87 Trek 330 Elance, '89 Miyata 1400, '85 Peugeot PGN10, '04 Fuji Ace, '06 Giant Rincon, '95 Giant Allegre, '83 Trek 620, '86 Schwinn High Sierra

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 225 Post(s)
Liked 163 Times in 107 Posts
Originally Posted by athix
I like to have music playing through the speaker on my cell phone mounted on my bike. It sounds like my music background is similar to yours, but I have quite wide-ranging tastes. I also find EDM to be the only music I care to listen to while I ride, and I love it. The only time I listen to my EDM playlist anymore is when I ride (so I don't get tired of it), and then I have it going pretty much every ride.
It's a good motivator for me on my longer rides. If my route hits either a near empty MUP or some country roads with little to no traffic, once I put in my earbuds, it's better than a good cup of coffee. It brightens my mood, raises the hearbeat, and I at least feel like I have more energy.
Old 11-13-20, 12:34 PM
rustystrings61 

Bikes: 2002 Mercian Vincitore, 1982 Mercian Colorado, 1976 Puch Royal X, 1973 Raleigh Competition, 1971 Gitane Tour de France and others

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Quoted: 823 Post(s)
Liked 1,395 Times in 694 Posts
I don't listen to music while cycling, but cycling sometimes influences the music playing inside my own skull. I was spinning down a hill on the fixed-gear Tuesday when, unbidden, the chorus of Luis Bonfa's Sincopado Triste fired up on the internal jukebox. It was PERFECT.