Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Frankenbikes

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-21, 04:28 PM
velojym

Bikes: Konas: Jake the Snake-Fire Mountain-Zing Supreme, Dew Deluxe,Zone Ltd. (frame, needs parts), Surly Long Haul Trucker, Santana Arriva tandem, Montagues: Paratrooper-Fit, Trek 1200, Bianchi Ocelot, Fantom Cross Uno, Bridgestone 200

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked 227 Times in 122 Posts
Frankenbikes

So, during da Covids, I've overhauled a couple bikes, built a couple, and been tinkering around (and riding) a lot more than previously. Now that my 'main' fleet is mostly roadworthy, my hands are starting to twitch in the direction of a couple 'back-burner' and parts bikes I had laying around.

The back burner bike is my ol' '80s Cannondale road bike. It looks as if it's never been ridden (bought as a frameset) and though it's a size or two too small for me, by the numbers, it actually feels pretty good while straddling with the wheels on. With a couple 3mm axle spacers, I'm able to secure a 120mm single speed wheel in the back, clearing a 700x28 tire. While looking at singling out a crank, I had a brain fart, and decided to leave the double intact, and the frame already had a front mech and downtube shifter installed anyway. An old derailleur mounted in the rear is acting purely as a tensioner. I may still simplify it as a 1x1, but I want to give this a go first, just out of curiosity. The purple cable housings I bought for the tandem didn't look good with the Santana's purple, so it was in the parts box. I think it looks pretty swell on this frame.

The parts bike, an old Giant ATX, I picked up at a thrift store for $25 a few years ago, so I could use the LX components on another bike. I don't have any solid ideas right now for it, but simmering in my hindbrain is an idea to mount a banana seat (it'd have to support my 250 lbs) and a riser bar, sort of an adult Schwinn Stingray. The crank, I think, would be single, and I'd have whatever gear range in the rear I have parts for. I'd call it the Candy Nanner.

I wasn't sure about which forum to post this, I'd probably get some laughs out of the classic crowd, though.
Likes For velojym:
Old 02-08-21, 05:51 PM
tkamd73 

Bikes: 1984 Schwinn Supersport, 1988 Trek 400T, 1977 Trek TX900, 1982 Bianchi Champione del Mondo, 1978 Raleigh Supercourse, 1986 Trek 400 Elance, 1991 Waterford PDG OS Paramount, 1971 Schwinn Sports Tourer, 1985 Trek 670

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 604 Post(s)
Liked 1,063 Times in 535 Posts
That Cannondale build is awesome! Post the ATX when finished please.
Tim
Likes For tkamd73:
Old 02-08-21, 09:03 PM
Happy Feet

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 2236 Post(s)
Liked 1,314 Times in 707 Posts
I love a good Frankenstein but the bars on that road bike look very extended. Can you really ride in the brake position comfortably?
Old 02-09-21, 08:47 AM
thehammerdog

Bikes: Road bike is a Carbon Bianchi C2C & Grandis (1980's), Gary Fisher Mt Bike, Trek Tandem & Mongoose SS MTB circa 1992.

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 722 Post(s)
Liked 353 Times in 226 Posts
Originally Posted by velojym
So, during da Covids, I've overhauled a couple bikes, built a couple, and been tinkering around (and riding) a lot more than previously. Now that my 'main' fleet is mostly roadworthy, my hands are starting to twitch in the direction of a couple 'back-burner' and parts bikes I had laying around.

The back burner bike is my ol' '80s Cannondale road bike. It looks as if it's never been ridden (bought as a frameset) and though it's a size or two too small for me, by the numbers, it actually feels pretty good while straddling with the wheels on. With a couple 3mm axle spacers, I'm able to secure a 120mm single speed wheel in the back, clearing a 700x28 tire. While looking at singling out a crank, I had a brain fart, and decided to leave the double intact, and the frame already had a front mech and downtube shifter installed anyway. An old derailleur mounted in the rear is acting purely as a tensioner. I may still simplify it as a 1x1, but I want to give this a go first, just out of curiosity. The purple cable housings I bought for the tandem didn't look good with the Santana's purple, so it was in the parts box. I think it looks pretty swell on this frame.

The parts bike, an old Giant ATX, I picked up at a thrift store for $25 a few years ago, so I could use the LX components on another bike. I don't have any solid ideas right now for it, but simmering in my hindbrain is an idea to mount a banana seat (it'd have to support my 250 lbs) and a riser bar, sort of an adult Schwinn Stingray. The crank, I think, would be single, and I'd have whatever gear range in the rear I have parts for. I'd call it the Candy Nanner.

I wasn't sure about which forum to post this, I'd probably get some laughs out of the classic crowd, though.
are u 8 feet tall...long reach.
Old 02-09-21, 09:27 AM
freeranger

Bikes: 06 Lemond Reno, 98 GT Timberline mtn.bike

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 427 Post(s)
Liked 699 Times in 436 Posts
That's some reach on the C'dale. I'd be wary of using the front brake!
Old 02-10-21, 02:25 PM
Oldguyonoldbike

Bikes: Casati Laser, Colnago Tecnos, Ciöcc Exige, Black Mountain Cycles Road

Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Liked 177 Times in 78 Posts
Originally Posted by freeranger
That's some reach on the C'dale. I'd be wary of using the front brake!
I think there may be an issue with the pads on the rear brake too!
Old 02-10-21, 08:39 PM
velojym

Bikes: Konas: Jake the Snake-Fire Mountain-Zing Supreme, Dew Deluxe,Zone Ltd. (frame, needs parts), Surly Long Haul Trucker, Santana Arriva tandem, Montagues: Paratrooper-Fit, Trek 1200, Bianchi Ocelot, Fantom Cross Uno, Bridgestone 200

Not fully assembled yet. I'll post when I get it all together and try it out.

Of course, since this is recreational tinkering, I'm not married to the arrangement, and might set it up with a more conventional drop bar. Just wanted to try this.
Old 02-11-21, 08:40 AM
BobbyG

Bikes: 2015 Charge Plug, 2007 Dahon Boardwalk, 1997 Nishiki Blazer, 1984 Nishiki International, 2006 Felt F65, 1989 Dahon Getaway V

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1364 Post(s)
Liked 1,677 Times in 827 Posts
Originally Posted by velojym
Now that my 'main' fleet is mostly roadworthy...
Reminded me of various periods of my 28-year commute experience.
Likes For BobbyG:
Old 02-16-21, 09:55 AM
Retro Grouch 

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 364 Posts
Here's the deal: That bicycle has only one job - to absolutely delight just one of the 7 1/2 billion people on earth. Nobody else's opinion matters.

The worst thing that can happen is that you'll hate it. In that case, you can always change it into some other configuration.
Old 08-18-21, 11:19 AM
velojym

So, while the bars looked a bit 'out there', that's not surprising, as they weren't taped and with a silver stem just kinda shoots on out there, visually. Also, the frame is on the smaller side for me.
I've taken it back down to a frameset, and am thinking about building it back up to be period-correct...at least mostly, but if I can find a classic frame in my size I wouldn't mind a swap. I've been toying with the idea of a classic randonneuring bike, which would also serve for l'eroica and tweed rides if and when they happen where I can attend. I've noticed many rando riders have a preference for the older tech, evidently for the simplicity and reliability if built and maintained properly. Also, I like old stuff.