Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Sore Left Foot in Heat?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Sore Left Foot in Heat?

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-20, 02:59 PM
CanadianBiker32

Bikes: Maxim, Rocky Mountain, Argon 18, Cervelo S2 Team

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 165 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Sore Left Foot in Heat?

Road riding on longer ride of 100km or least 3 hours plus when it hot out like 25C +
or like 80F etc

often my left foot gets sore around the last 30 mins of ride or after the 2,5 hour mark

i make my shoe tighter but still get soreness on pedal stroke and if i loose . still get it
its almost i have to constant go tighter and then go looser

what do u recommend? i do with my foot? i would love to fit an ice pack in my shoe as that would help
Old 06-30-20, 05:26 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3662 Post(s)
Liked 5,408 Times in 2,747 Posts
[QUOTE=CanadianBiker32;21562266]what do u recommend? i do with my foot? /QUOTE] i recommend you keep the foot. try moving ur cleat, different shoes or limit ur rides to 99km or less.
Likes For shelbyfv:
Old 06-30-20, 06:48 PM
50PlusCycling

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 551 Post(s)
Liked 810 Times in 409 Posts
It is likely the fit of the shoe. I had this problem when I first began competitive cycling, and it was unpleasant. I had bought what I thought was a reasonably well made pair of shoes (though still made in China), and on shorter distances they were okay. But on longer rides my feet became very hot and uncomfortable. I went to a good bike shop with a very knowledgeable staff (many were older people with lots of riding experience), and was fitted into a pair of shoes. I tried on every make and model of road bike shoe they had, and eventually settled on a pair which the salesperson said would be best. And he was right, my first training ride with these shoes there was no pain or discomfort at all.

When it comes to shoes, there is a wide variance in tolerance. If you try on 3 pairs of shoes, all the exact same make and model, you might find that they all fit differently. And a single pair of shoes might have the left shoe fit slightly different than the right shoe. Then there are your feet, which may not be exactly the same size. You have to try as many as you can find until you find what fits right. You cannot take shoes on test rides, but you can usually tell how well they fit if you walk around in them in the shop, and a good salesperson will be able to identify tight spots or other problems.

Many people put up with uncomfortable shoes thinking that it is normal for your feed to get sore during a long ride, or that hot spots are just a part of long distance cycling. This is not the case, a good-fitting pair of shoes can make riding much more pleasurable.