Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Indoor & Stationary Cycling Forum
Reload this Page >

Cycle Ops Trainer Fluid Leak Fix

Notices
Indoor & Stationary Cycling Forum From spin to Zwift to Peloton, this forum is dedicated to any and all indoor training on stationary bikes

Cycle Ops Trainer Fluid Leak Fix

Old 01-24-21, 12:50 PM
wtykoliz

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Smile Cycle Ops Trainer Fluid Leak Fix

Hello to All,
Just a quick post to share how to fix an oil /fluid leak on a Fluid style trainer...in my case a 2003 ish Cycle Ops Trainer....well used. Last year it developed a fluid leak coming from the shaft area..maybe a seal
My fix.......the fluid is a hydraulic fluid...I went to an automotive supply store...Canadian Tire Store .....and purchased a product called "Rislone Jack Oil with Stop Leak" . Its a 370 ml bottle containing a yellowy oil/fluid.
I removed the an Hex bolt from the bottom area of the fluid trainer ....squirted in about 3 oz or so....I guessed on the amount and screwed the bolt back in. I hopped on the trainer and immediately noticed an increase in the resistance ....I didn't realize it was that low in fluid..............I had a spin for about a hour....checked for leaks.......It seemed to fix it for now!

Bottom line....What did I have to loose?...............$6 for a container of Oil vs $1799 for a new Kickr Smart Trainer
Likes For wtykoliz:
Old 01-26-21, 10:41 AM
zacster

Bikes: Kuota Kredo/Chorus, Trek 7000 commuter, Trek 8000 MTB and a few others

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 455 Times in 357 Posts
I went from a perfectly good CycleOps fluid trainer to a Kickr Core and never looked back. It is a different experience.
Old 01-26-21, 10:51 AM
wtykoliz

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I agree! We bought one that my wife uses.....I use the Not so smart trainer .....so we can Zwift together.....until we can trainer outdoors

thank you for advice!

wally
Niagara Falls Canada
Old 01-26-21, 02:57 PM
Thomas15
I think I know nothing.

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 233 Post(s)
Liked 290 Times in 204 Posts
I don't know if it was here on BF or where it was but I read somewhere that the actual oil used in fluid trainers (Kinetic or Saris...) is specific, although common. It may not really matter to the OP who might be looking for something that simply works vs. getting the exact intended performance which might matter on a platform such as Zwift to get the power numbers correct.
Old 01-26-21, 03:44 PM
wtykoliz

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
A very good point.

my point of view is very simple. It’s winter....too cold to ride outside.....COVID shut down our gyms.....so it’s the indoor trainer.

Zwift is just a computer interactive computer game which we get to virtually meet up with others while we get some saddle time.

the power meter on the crank and your heart rate numbers don’t lie....if you work....the numbers are high...if you slack off..they are low....you set your threshold. The trainer doesn’t help with the numbers.......but data doping does.....lots of sand baggers on Zwift!

the type of oil....if it stops my leak...which it looks like it did .....and saves me some coins for some other toys........looks like I accomplished my purpose.
Old 01-27-21, 12:28 PM
clasher

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 229 Post(s)
Liked 147 Times in 102 Posts
That's a good tip!
Old 01-28-21, 07:37 AM
redcon1

Bikes: Focus Arriba, Specialized Roubaix Expert, Bianchi Impulso Allroad

Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked 82 Times in 53 Posts
I Have a Kurt Kinetic Road Machine and their fluid resistance unit is warranted for life; I though CycleOps did the same. May be just for the original owner, though.
Old 01-28-21, 08:37 AM
zacster

Bikes: Kuota Kredo/Chorus, Trek 7000 commuter, Trek 8000 MTB and a few others

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 455 Times in 357 Posts
Originally Posted by redcon1
I Have a Kurt Kinetic Road Machine and their fluid resistance unit is warranted for life; I though CycleOps did the same. May be just for the original owner, though.
CycleOps replaced my unit after I don't know how many years I had it.
Likes For zacster: