Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Teenager Riders?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Teenager Riders?

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-05, 11:07 AM
Jake B

Bikes: Trek 5200

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
oh-yeah-I ride a Trek 1000
Old 10-02-05, 11:27 AM
killahkosha

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Who all are teenager riders?
How much you ride a day?
How old?
Do you enjoy it?
Are you laughed at by peers?

I am 16 years old.
I ride 20 miles on a stationary bike every monday wednesday and friday.
I ride 80 miles or so on my Marin Venezia every Wednesday, Friday, Saturday, and Sunday.

Adds up to about 380 miles a week. I totally enjoy every last second of riding. I have yet to be laughed at by my peers, all of the others in my PE class look in amazement at how fast I can go for so long on the stationary bike. And from the past 4 months of cycling I went from weighing 185lbs. with no muscle @ 6'0" to weighing 155lbs. with much more muscle. So I definitely would have to say that I love cycling. I spent a half grand or so on my road bike, but it definitely seems worth it. Once college is done in June I suppose I'll start riding more miles every week. And then for the University summer quarter I'll commute by bike for the 25 or so miles each way to stay in shape. The ultimate goal though is for Seattle to Portland in one day.
Old 10-02-05, 11:38 AM
formula4
Banned

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I am 19, I ride 8-30 miles a day, and I love it.

I haven't really gotten laughed at, but I will be wearing my cycling outfit to H00ters this Friday, so I'm sure there will be plenty of drunk old men there to make fun of me
Old 10-02-05, 11:54 AM
operator
cab horn

Bikes: 1987 Bianchi Campione

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 19 Posts
Originally Posted by ovoleg
So do you guys wear full lycra and look shoes/cleats to school?
I don't wear lycra but I do wear my look shoes/cleats to school (university) but of course they have covers on them.
Old 10-02-05, 11:55 AM
jbhowat
@ Checkmate Cycling

Bikes: CAAD 8 - Ultegra

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I guess I'll post in this before I'm no longer a teenager (although I haven't REALLY considered myself a teen since like, my sophomore year in HS).

I'm a full-time college student. During the school year (especially when its not road season) I'm lucky to get 100mi/wk in.
I'm 19, turning 20 in Dec. My racing age is 20, so according to UCI/USCF I'm not a teen anyway.
Yes I like it.
Sometimes people who feel like being *******s, either my friends (in a joking way and I give it out as well) or other people will be like "oh thats gay". Usually the leg-shaving and tight shorts makes the guys make fun of me. The thing they don't realize is: for every ONE time they make fun of me, there are at least 4 times a FEMALE has made a positive comment. Ranging from yelling out car windows to the CSU team on a group ride to once having a girl notice my shaved, hard legs and run her hand from my calf up INTO my shorts to my upper thigh while waiting for class to start. Heh. I didn't really know her, but during one very drunken party I "knew" her. Other than that, most people on campus think its cool that I'm "like Lance" or at least just supporting the school!

Minilance (especially) and others: if you are riding so much right now, you REALLY need to get on a team. You'll be able to get on your local team no problem if you just tell them how many miles a week you ride. I wouldn't count on going pro. I know a guy who was Junior track national champion at your age, winning junior and amateur races left and right. Now he's still not a pro, although he does compete with them in the pro 1/2 races. Don't worry about going pro, but start racing soon.
Old 10-02-05, 01:21 PM
gboy
accident-prone

Bikes: Brodie Romax Cyclocross

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ovoleg
So do you guys wear full lycra and look shoes/cleats to school?
Ya, stay in outfit if it's a short class, or bring a change of clothes if my classes last all day. Of course, its not full-kit or anything - just solid coloured coolmax t-shirts and either shorts or bibs. I leave my cleats on as well.
Old 10-02-05, 03:04 PM
JJakucyk

Bikes: Trek 7100 Hybrid

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It's good to see so many young'uns with a passion for the sport. I wish I'd kept up with riding when I was a teenager, it's the only sport I ever enjoyed. I never raced or even had a road bike at the time, but if I could go back in time I'd smack myself over the head and tell me to get with it. I have to say I really admire all of you for keeping up with cycling despite all the peer pressure that's out there. Not to mention the fact that cycling as a competitive sport is virtually unheard of below college level. Anyway, if any of you guys are around Cincinnati and want to go for a ride with an "older" guy (26), drop me a line. Either way, keep it up, and enjoy.
Old 10-02-05, 04:11 PM
badcompany9
Happy cat.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Well, I'll be eighteen for at least another half of a year, so I'm still a teen.

I've always wanted a road bike. Way back when I got my first real 26" bike from a LBS, I really wanted a road bike instead (just a $500 bike isn't practical when you're still growing). So now that the dream has remained and since I've had a job, I could finally afford one.

Generally the older you get, the less you care about what people think about you and other people just leave you alone. So I haven't had any people make fun of me for bicycling, but then again my legs are pretty hairy.

I've run out of most of my cycling time to practice, I've even skipped cross country practice to go do hill workouts on my bike (they were both longer and harder than xc, go figure). I try to keep up with a hundred miles a week.

Also, when I was in middle school, I became really good at mountain biking. I left it alone after I started driving and became out of shape. I am finally back up to the point I was to before. So all you young guys, keep pursuing the sport. Give all the old guys a run for their money.
Old 10-02-05, 04:14 PM
bike756
Hair Free

Bikes: specialized allez with misc. upgrades,commuter mtb

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
How much you ride a day? 200+ miles a week
How old? 16
Do you enjoy it? yes
Are you laughed at by peers? every day
etc. I've been riding seriously for two years, and I ride to school every day. I average about 21mph solo, and was going to get into racing but got hit by a car two days before my first race. I'm now recovering from a broken collar bone, and trying to scrape together enough cash to buy a new bike(the old one is totalled). I will be racing next year, but this season is over for me.
Old 10-02-05, 04:21 PM
hi565
By-Tor...or the Snow Dog?

Bikes: Bianchi Cross Concept, Flyte Srs-3

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by MiniLance
I am looked down at for spending more time on my bike than doing other things in life. Spending so many hours on a day on a bike as I do I guess people would call you crazy for doing it but I am trying to go pro and enjoy my life doing what I really love. Has anyone ever wore their jersey to school?
im thinking about wearing a liberty seguros jersey tomorrow to school. Not sure though, I may return it for a diff size.
Old 10-02-05, 04:25 PM
mooglinux

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
14, ride to school and back (need to find a longer ride, 1 mile bores me to death) and i ride this really old realeigh that i cant figure out what type it is.

at first everyone kept walking up with those sissy $300+ bmx bikes that are horrid on a road, and asked why i didnt buy a new bike (even worse: how are you sopposed to to jumps with that?!) ingnorant peoples.

but finally they figured out that they had better not try to outdo me on speed, and i ride in peace (exept the people in my area cant tell the diference between my road bike and a bmx. ive been pulled over by cops after some jerk did something (knocked over the inflatable chicken at a daycare one time) and i was the only bikerider passing through when the police get there. since im a teen as well, its sems to be me a lot. grr)
Old 10-02-05, 04:46 PM
FLsanshou

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm 18
I'm still pretty new but i've been riding atleast 20m a day
I am mainly a full contact fighter (check out FLsanshou.com for more info) but I have fallen in love with the sport of cycling
Alot of my friends who are also fighters sometimes make fun of me for cycling but I don't care I just think of what theyre missing out on
I'm looking forward to training hard and getting better, I want to be able to start entering races within a year
Old 10-02-05, 05:21 PM
Warblade
Beko = Touring God.

Bikes: Too many.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
How much you ride a day? - Depends, on average 40-50
How old? - 15 yrs
Do you enjoy it? - Duh!
Are you laughed at by peers? - Nope
etc. - I race and I love it, especially when I beat people that are twice my age!
Old 10-02-05, 05:27 PM
chipcom 
Infamous Member

Bikes: Surly Big Dummy, Fuji World, 80ish Bianchi

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
How much you ride a day?
How old?
Do you enjoy it?
etc.
My GFs 14yr old got into road riding this year. Nobody laughs at him and he has more girls calling him than I can keep track of. You don't need to follow the herd to be cool, do what YOU love and YOU set the standards for cool.
"Let us hope our weapons are never needed --but do not forget what the common people knew when they demanded the Bill of Rights: An armed citizenry is the first defense, the best defense, and the final defense against tyranny. If guns are outlawed, only the government will have guns. Only the police, the secret police, the military, the hired servants of our rulers. Only the government -- and a few outlaws. I intend to be among the outlaws" - Edward Abbey
Old 10-02-05, 05:32 PM
mach_5

Bikes: bianchi eros

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Im 15 yaers old. I ride about 100-125 miles a week. I love it but i also enjoy other cool things. I ride a bianchi eros with campy. great bike but getting a little small. Stupid growth spert. I've gotten afew laughs.
Old 10-02-05, 05:49 PM
56/12 and 22/28
Stop it.

Bikes: 2003 Specialized Hardrock Pro w/ slicks, flipped stem and HB, 2003 Colnago Dream with full Dura-Ace 7700 double, 2001 Bianchi XL Boron/Daytona, Mavic Open Pro/Campy Centaur/DT Champion built wheels.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Been riding seriously for about four years.
2003 Specialized Hardrock Pro with slick tires.
It's the only thing that I love to do that I can do every day.
I'm the only person in my school that rides more than 60 miles a day.

Eh?
Old 10-02-05, 05:49 PM
lmans66

Bikes: Felt 70 & Specialized Rockhopper

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
How much you ride a day?
How old?
Do you enjoy it?
etc.
That is one good thing about "not" being a teen. Yes...you are young and have the energy but that age has such a "hang-up" about being cool etc... Everyone wants to be different but so few dare that the whole lot look the same!...

The older you get, the better it is!
Old 10-02-05, 05:59 PM
bassplayinbiker

Bikes: Diamondback centurion. Home built tandem

Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
I'm a 14 year old cat 3.

I'm on Team Gp Velotek based out of Lawrence Kansas.
Ride 5-6 Days a week
30 miles a day.
I shave my legs, wear spandex and I LIKE it.

Went to Nationals last summer. Did well.

www.velotek.com
Old 10-02-05, 06:54 PM
Barca
Chelsea FC

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
How much you ride a day?
How old?
Do you enjoy it?
etc.
Per day on average (when I'm not sick like this past week) about 30-40 per day

I'm 17, be 18 in January, so according to USCF I have a whole year left of racing in Juniors.

When there isn't a 20 mph headwind going up a hill.

If they do I don't hear it, who cares what they think? In 8 months I'll be off to college, let them laugh.

I've pretty much lived on a bike, I rode tricycles before I could walk (so my mum tells me), started running cross country, killed my knees, started riding more. Mixed between mountain biking and road, about a year ago went full road and haven't looked back. And seriously, lycra may put the guys off but the girls don't seem to mind.
Old 10-02-05, 06:58 PM
Lord Chambers

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
What exactly are they laughing at you for?
Old 10-02-05, 07:13 PM
hi565
By-Tor...or the Snow Dog?

Bikes: Bianchi Cross Concept, Flyte Srs-3

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bassplayinbiker
I'm a 14 year old cat 3.

I'm on Team Gp Velotek based out of Lawrence Kansas.
Ride 5-6 Days a week
30 miles a day.
I shave my legs, wear spandex and I LIKE it.

Went to Nationals last summer. Did well.

www.velotek.com
dang man! Congorats!
Old 10-02-05, 07:32 PM
Jake B

Bikes: Trek 5200

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bassplayinbiker
I'm a 14 year old cat 3.

WOW! Your doing REALLY good, Im 13 and have only raced in the 10-14 age class...next season I will be 15-18(my racing age will be 15), and also race cat 5

jake
Old 10-02-05, 07:37 PM
CannondaleKid

Bikes: Cannondale R700 (zipp 404's)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You guys in the big citys are lucky to have the opportunities to ride with numerous different clubs. My city has 35,000 people, which probably isn't a city down in the states, 20 at the most ride serously and they are Tri guys. I'm a Cat 4 (going cat 3 next season) who just started racing this summer for the Canada Summer Games, I was the alternate for Team Sask.. Riding is great but I haven't been doing much lately, making the transition into Speedskating. Did lots of centurys early on though, metric and imperial. Best imperial at 5:20 for rolling terrian. Best sport I've ever done.
Old 10-02-05, 08:40 PM
alpe d'issaquah
The Kaiser

Bikes: K2 Mach 2.0

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I joke around a lot about the spandex and my short shorts for cross-country and everyone just takes it in a good way.
Old 10-02-05, 08:53 PM
MiniLance
<The Cyclist>

Bikes: SystemSix

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Wearing my Yellow jersey(Lance) tomorrow so school cause I am biking to school wearing the whole gear tomorrow to school hehehe I will take a pic or two.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.