Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

New Trek warranty

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

New Trek warranty

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-19, 03:24 PM
RShantz

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 278 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 19 Posts
New Trek warranty

A friend told me that Trek has changed their warranty. Said frames are now warrantied for the second owner for a certain period and that wheelsets are now warrantied for life.

The wheelset warranty seems almost unbelievable. I couldn't find anything about this on Trek's website. Has anyone heard this rumor?
Old 11-15-19, 03:28 PM
N00b_Cyclist
Destroyer of Worlds

Bikes: Trek Domane SLR "Molten Marble"

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked 73 Times in 42 Posts
From the Trek website:

"This warranty extends from the date of purchase, is offered only to the original retail purchaser, and is not transferable. This warranty applies only to Trek bicycles purchased through an authorized dealer or distributor."

https://www.trekbikes.com/us/en_US/trek_bikes_warranty/

I don't usually listen to rumors...because, well, they are usually just rumors.
Old 11-15-19, 04:38 PM
RShantz

Originally Posted by N00b_Cyclist
From the Trek website:

"This warranty extends from the date of purchase, is offered only to the original retail purchaser, and is not transferable. This warranty applies only to Trek bicycles purchased through an authorized dealer or distributor."

https://www.trekbikes.com/us/en_US/trek_bikes_warranty/

I don't usually listen to rumors...because, well, they are usually just rumors.
I generally agree with you, but this guy is pretty reliable. I also did the research you did & your quote from Trek relates to 2019 policy. It leaves off 2020 even though 2020 bikes are out. This gave some reliabilty to my buddy's comment in my mind.
Old 11-15-19, 05:04 PM
TiHabanero

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1752 Post(s)
Liked 1,377 Times in 722 Posts
I heard it from a friend who
Heard if from another friend who
Heard that you were fooling around...

So the song goes. Unless it is first hand knowledge, don't trust the information. Remember the reuniting of the Beatles for the past 50 years?
Old 11-15-19, 06:49 PM
N00b_Cyclist
Destroyer of Worlds

Originally Posted by RShantz
I generally agree with you, but this guy is pretty reliable. I also did the research you did & your quote from Trek relates to 2019 policy. It leaves off 2020 even though 2020 bikes are out. This gave some reliabilty to my buddy's comment in my mind.
Not really sure that's how that works. The website says 2012-2019, because it is 2019. Actual calendar year, not model year. It says "This warranty applies to 2011 model and newer bicycles and covers only Trek and Bontrager branded products." That covers 2020 or any other model year that comes after 2011. The reason it says 2012-2019 at the top is the same reason the website at the bottom says "Trek Bicycle Corporation 2019"...because it is 2019, until January 1, 2020.

Bottom line: it's not on the company's website. The 2020 bikes are out, yes (that's a marketing thing, it doesn't make it 2020). I have one. There might be a "new" policy for 2020 bikes in the works...but it's obviously not official, or it'd be in their warranty documentation. And it's not. Not on the website I posted, or in my own personal warranty documents from my 2020 Trek Domane (still is the standard 2019 calendar year warranty info).

Your buddy could be right, sure, but I wouldn't count on it.
Old 11-15-19, 07:13 PM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3131 Post(s)
Liked 2,113 Times in 1,376 Posts
You'd think if they made their warranty better they'd be bragging about it
Genesis 49:16-17
Likes For Darth Lefty:
Old 11-15-19, 07:36 PM
znomit
Zoom zoom zoom zoom bonk

Bikes: Giant Defy, Trek 1.7c, BMC GF02, Fuji Tahoe, Scott Sub 35, Kona Rove, Trek Verve+2

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 551 Post(s)
Liked 722 Times in 366 Posts
Warranty covers anyone until the bike is three years old, crabon wheel assplosions are covered too so make sure you let your next of kin know that if you die in an assplosion the wheel probably failed seconds before your death.
https://www.trekbikes.com/us/en_US/warranty_policy/

Lifetime
Frame sets (frame and rigid fork), main frame and full suspension swing arms for the lifetime of the original owner
Bontrager wheels with carbon rims

Two Years
Bontrager wheels with alloy rims

Subsequent Ownership
Subsequent owners (second or later) are entitled to a three-year warranty from the date of original purchase from the retailer. Proof of original purchase is required to validate the coverage period.
Old 11-15-19, 07:54 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18423 Post(s)
Liked 4,540 Times in 3,372 Posts
Originally Posted by znomit

Lifetime

Pretty spectacular. I assume that doesn't require a new bike purchase. Brake Track Wear? Overheating? Bearings? Grease?
Old 11-15-19, 08:16 PM
RShantz

Warranty covers anyone until the bike is three years old, crabon wheel assplosions are covered too so make sure you let your next of kin know that if you die in an assplosion the wheel probably failed seconds before your death.

Lifetime
Frame sets (frame and rigid fork), main frame and full suspension swing arms for the lifetime of the original owner

Two Years

Subsequent Ownership
Subsequent owners (second or later) are entitled to a three-year warranty from the date of original purchase from the retailer. Proof of original purchase is required to validate the coverage period.
Thanks for finding.

I'd think the wheel warranty would give concern to Zipp, Enve and the like. Lifetime warranty on a wheelset is appealing to me. And think about the folks who put real miles on a gravel bike.
Old 11-15-19, 09:01 PM
znomit
Zoom zoom zoom zoom bonk

Bikes: Giant Defy, Trek 1.7c, BMC GF02, Fuji Tahoe, Scott Sub 35, Kona Rove, Trek Verve+2

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 551 Post(s)
Liked 722 Times in 366 Posts
The three year transferable warranty makes selling easier when you absolutely have to have next years paint.
Old 11-15-19, 09:13 PM
CliffordK

The three year transferable warranty makes selling easier when you absolutely have to have next years paint.
So, that expires in 3 years for the second owner, but at least could give some time to put a few miles on the bike.
Old 11-15-19, 09:13 PM
Cyclist0108
Occam's Rotor

Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Quoted: 2366 Post(s)
Liked 2,331 Times in 1,164 Posts
Santa Cruz wheels have a lifetime warranty.
Old 11-15-19, 09:20 PM
N00b_Cyclist
Destroyer of Worlds

Lifetime

Two Years

Subsequent Ownership
So 3 years from the date of original purchase. Gotcha. Was definitely reading that wrong. Kind of curious though...how are they going to determine whether your issue is due to misuse? Is it going to be a case of "hey we updated our warranty, but now we're just going to deny like 90% of warranty claims"? Would be interesting to see how it plays out.
Old 11-15-19, 09:43 PM
CliffordK

Hmmm, there appears to be a lot of wiggle room with the warranty.

This Warranty Does Not Cover
  • Normal wear and tear
  • Improper assembly
  • Corrosion
  • Improper maintenance
  • Installation of components, parts, or accessories not originally intended for or compatible with the bicycle as sold
  • Damage or failure due to accident, misuse, abuse, or neglect
  • Labor charges for part replacement or changeover
  • Non-proprietary products (any other original part or component) covered by the original manufacturer’s warranty
Specifically for wheels, there is their Carbon Care Wheels

We want you to be as confident in your purchase as we are in our product. That’s why we back every carbon wheel purchase with the Carbon Care Wheel Loyalty Program. The parameters of the program are simple: in the unlikely event that you damage your Bontrager carbon wheels within the first two years of ownership, we’ll repair or replace them for free*. We’ll also continue to offer coverage after two years from the original date of purchase, with steeply discounted rebuild or replacement available to all original owners of Bontrager carbon wheels, regardless of the date of purchase. This program applies to Bontrager carbon wheels that come stock on bikes as well as aftermarket wheel purchases, and comes at no additional cost to the original owner*.

Program details

The Carbon Care Wheel Loyalty Program gives you the peace of mind that comes with knowing Trek and Bontrager have your back. We appreciate that carbon wheels are a serious investment, and this program was designed to help you feel fully confident in your purchase.

For the first two years
If you damage a Bontrager carbon wheel while riding within the first two years of ownership, we will replace or repair it for free*. It’s that simple. This coverage applies to Bontrager carbon wheels that come stock on bikes as well as aftermarket wheel purchases.

After two years
We provide continued coverage beyond the first two years from the original date of purchase, with steeply discounted rebuild or replacement of a damaged Bontrager carbon wheel. Costs are wheel-dependent and shown in the table below.

Carbon Care offers two options, and the approach is determined by the wheel and the severity of the damage.

• The repair of a damaged wheel (including spokes, decals, nipples, and washers where needed) and factory rebuild on the original hubs

• A complete wheel replacement

* Repair and replacement through the Carbon Care Wheel Program must be administered by an authorized Trek retailer. Prices are subject to change without notice. Repair price and free replacement does not include shipping to and from the Bontrager Wheel Service Center. Contact your Trek retailer for details including a list of wheels covered by the program, current availability, pricing, and shipping quotes.
Carbon Care wheel rebuild / replacement policy and pricing

Repair prices include rim, spokes, decals, nipples (and washers where applicable)
Repair
Rebuild with new rim, spokes, and nipples Front Rear
Aeolus XXX $500.00 $500.00
Aeolus D3 $500.00 $500.00
Line XXX $500.00 $500.00
Kovee XXX $500.00 $500.00
Aeolus Pro $275.00 $275.00
Replace
New wheel replacement Front Rear
Line Pro 40 $275.00 $325.00
Line Pro 30 $275.00 $325.00
Kovee Pro $265.00 $335.00
Kovee Elite 23 $170.00 $205.00

So their wheel warranty seems to give one 2 years of free replacement, and a lifetime of repairs. Depending on the wheel, I think the warranty repair/replacement is between 1/3 and 1/2 the cost of a new wheel. Quite significant, but certainly not free repairs.

Looking at the fine print: "Prices are subject to change without notice." So, 20 years in the future, expect those prices to be much higher.
Old 11-16-19, 03:08 PM
MattTheHat 

Bikes: 2021 S-Works Turbo Creo SL, 2020 Specialized Roubaix Expert

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 766 Post(s)
Liked 4,070 Times in 1,439 Posts
Roval wheels have a lifetime warranty for the original owner. They even cover crash damage for the original owner for the first two years.