Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Hybrid Bicycles
Reload this Page >

Hybrid bike or road bike for hill climbing

Search
Notices
Hybrid Bicycles Where else would you go to discuss these fun, versatile bikes?

Hybrid bike or road bike for hill climbing

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-10, 01:10 PM
AdelaaR

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Talldog
Maybe that is right, don't know for sure. I was taught that this acceleration on each stroke has to hold true unless the (net) stored kinetic energy in the wheel is equal to the force exerted on the pedal stroke. In other words the bike slows down via friction, air resistance and rolling resistance as the stored energy is less than the exerted pedal force as some is turned into heat, etc. So although imperceptable for practical purposes, pedalling is in reality a continous acceleration/deceleration function. Could be wrong though as I have not thought about it (or looked into it) for many years.
There is offcourse allways loss of energy everywhere like on the chain or the pedalbearings or the dustseals ... basicly everywhere.
But this has next to nothing to do with the weight of the bike and the energy required to keep or get it at speed.
Like Sixty Fiver said, a heavy bike will be easier to keep at speed, simply because mass in motion wants to keep it's motion.
The weight of the bike and rider does not, if properly pedalled, matter much on a flat surface while keeping the same speed.
The rider mainly has to battle the air resistance and a little bit of rolling resistance and a very tiny bit of other energy losses.
While climbing or accelerating however, weight starts to make much more difference.

If one were to ride on the moon, where the air resistance is almost nil, speeds of 1000km/h could be reached with a bike using the same power output that riders here on earth use to keep 40km/h.
Old 09-05-10, 01:49 PM
Talldog

Bikes: Several

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by AdelaaR
There is offcourse allways loss of energy everywhere like on the chain or the pedalbearings or the dustseals ... basicly everywhere.
But this has next to nothing to do with the weight of the bike and the energy required to keep or get it at speed.
Like Sixty Fiver said, a heavy bike will be easier to keep at speed, simply because mass in motion wants to keep it's motion.
The weight of the bike and rider does not, if properly pedalled, matter much on a flat surface while keeping the same speed.
The rider mainly has to battle the air resistance and a little bit of rolling resistance and a very tiny bit of other energy losses.
While climbing or accelerating however, weight starts to make much more difference.

If one were to ride on the moon, where the air resistance is almost nil, speeds of 1000km/h could be reached with a bike using the same power output that riders here on earth use to keep 40km/h.
So in effect ... yes (?), it is an acceleration/deceleration function.

I suppose so in theory, but my lighter bikes are invariably easier to maintain a constant speed on, for whatever reason. Maybe it's the bearings, LOL.

Last edited by Talldog; 09-05-10 at 01:56 PM.
Old 09-05-10, 01:57 PM
Sixty Fiver
Bicycle Repair Man !!!

Bikes: See my sig...

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 129 Times in 96 Posts
Lighter bikes also have a tendency to be more aerodynamic and have better quality parts... weight does not matter on flat ground but since few of us ride the salt flats the road rises and falls and the lighter wheels are easier to bring back up to speed.
Old 09-05-10, 03:29 PM
prathmann

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 659 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
I'm affraid your logic isn't correct though.
A bike is just what it is: a solid object having mass and being heavy.
A rider, on the other hand, will have increasing power output with increasing weight.
I think this is called "specific critical power output" in english, but it could be a bad translation from dutch.
So basicly, taking a kilo of the bike will result in a kilo less to carry up the hill, but taking a kilo from the rider will result (assuming the rider is in perfect condition and has almost no fat in his body) in a lower maximum power output.

The physics are even more complex:
Mass taken away from the wheels of a bike counts double compared to mass taken away from the rest of the bike
The last statement only applies if 1) the wheel weight is entirely at the outer edge of the tire, and 2) you're only considering the energy required to accelerate the wheel and not the energy required to raise it up a hill or due to the increased rolling resistance of a heavier bike. When climbing Mt. Ventoux, an extra pound on the wheel will count almost exactly the same as an extra pound elsewhere on the bike.

And I thought 'meanwhile' made it clear that when he was talking about reducing body weight that this was not of someone in perfect condition but rather someone with some extra fat to lose without having any effect on power output.
Old 09-05-10, 03:48 PM
meanwhile

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Talldog :
I was taught that this acceleration on each stroke has to hold true unless the (net) stored kinetic energy in the wheel is equal to the force exerted on the pedal stroke. In other words the bike slows down via friction, air resistance and rolling resistance as the stored energy is less than the exerted pedal force as some is turned into heat, etc
I'm sorry and I know that you are already upset, but this doesn't mean anything or make any sense whatsoever. Why should only KE stored in the wheel matter? It's trivial compared to rider KE. What does "true" mean? How can you say that the energy of anything is less than the force of something else? This is like comparing the volume of a sound to the brightness of a light.
Old 09-05-10, 03:51 PM
meanwhile

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by prathmann
And I thought 'meanwhile' made it clear that when he was talking about reducing body weight that this was not of someone in perfect condition but rather someone with some extra fat to lose without having any effect on power output.
What I said was that with constant power a reduction in bike weight creates extra climbing speed in proportion to the weight of the rider plus the bike. I.e. if you switch a 200lb rider from a 20lb bike to a 10lb one he won't climb twice as fast - the improvement will be more like 0.5%.
Old 09-05-10, 04:20 PM
meanwhile

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Sixty Fiver
Rotating weight has a huge effect on performance
Amateur cyclists have convinced each of this (with a lot of encouragement from PR people and the cycling journalists whose ad sapce they buy) but in reality, for any sane definition of "huge" - no:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bicycle...f_light_wheels

In a 250 m sprint from 36 to 47 km/h to (22 to 29 mph), a 90 kg bike/rider with 1.75 kg of rims/tires/spokes increases KE by 6,360 joules (6.4 kilocalories burned). Shaving 500 g from the rims/tires/spokes reduces this KE by 35 joules (1 kilocalorie = 1.163 watt-hour).
So - that's more minuscule than huge. But as I said earlier, there are special circumstances where rolling weight can have much greater influence:

In a criterium race, a rider is often jumping out of every corner. If the rider has to brake entering each corner (no coasting to slow down), then the KE that is added in each jump is wasted as heat in braking. For a flat crit at 40 km/h, 1 km circuit, 4 corners per lap, 10 km/h speed loss at each corner, one hour duration, 80 kg rider/6.5 kg bike/1.75 kg rims/tires/spokes, there would be 160 corner jumps. This effort adds 387 kilocalories to the 1100 kilocalories required for the same ride at steady speed. Removing 500 g from the wheels, reduces the total body energy requirement by 4.4 kilocalories.
..but this has little to do with making a hybrid ride better in typical use. And knocking 4.4 kilocalories off a total of nearly 1500 still isn't most people's idea of huge.

Re. climbing:

Another place where light wheels are claimed to have great advantage is in climbing. Though one may hear expressions such as "these wheels were worth 1-2 mph", etc. The formula for power suggests that 1 lb saved is worth 0.06 mph (0.1 km/h) on a 7% grade, and even a 4 lb saving is worth only 0.25 mph (0.4 km/h) for a light rider. So, where is the big savings in wheel weight reduction coming from? One argument is that there is no such improvement; that it is "placebo effect". But it has been proposed that the speed variation with each pedal stroke when riding up a hill explains such an advantage. However the energy of speed variation is conserved; during the power phase of pedaling the bike speeds up slightly, which stores KE, and in the "dead spot" at the top of the pedal stroke the bike slows down, which recovers that KE. Thus increased rotating mass may slightly reduce speed variations, but it does not add energy requirement beyond that of the same non-rotating mass.
The above is cribbed heavily from that MIT Press book "Bicycling Science". It's not hard to read and it's a staple among bike designers and racing team managers and engineers responsible for configuring their riders' bikes . The above is not only based on physics that has been well understood since the seventeenth century, it has been confirmed empirically many times. And, really, if someone can prove that bicycles don't follow the physics above then they will either receive a Nobel or be murdered by annoyed physicists - its pretty fundamental stuff.

Perhaps the biggest reason why the importance of wheel weight is over-estimated by consumers is that weight is easy to understand, measure and compare - everyone knows what a gram or ounce is. And people like things that are easily measured (even if they don't mean much.) By comparison if you start giving people metrics for wheel stiffness, which can be more important in a high performance bike, they won't have any idea what you're talking about - they won't even know if a higher or lower figure is better.
Old 09-05-10, 09:10 PM
Talldog

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by meanwhile
I'm sorry and I know that you are already upset, but this doesn't mean anything or make any sense whatsoever.
Aaahhh ... I think that may be from one of your "unimpeachable sources"

How can you say that the energy of anything is less than the force of something else? This is like comparing the volume of a sound to the brightness of a light.
Play the semantics game if you like, but you know what I mean.

I'm sorry and I know that you are already upset
Don't be. I have come to terms with who and what you are .. and am decidely not upset.
Old 09-05-10, 09:20 PM
Talldog

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The above is cribbed heavily from that MIT Press book "Bicycling Science". It's not hard to read and it's a staple among bike designers and racing team managers and engineers responsible for configuring their riders' bikes . The above is not only based on physics that has been well understood since the seventeenth century, it has been confirmed empirically many times. And, really, if someone can prove that bicycles don't follow the physics above then they will either receive a Nobel or be murdered by annoyed physicists - its pretty fundamental stuff.

Perhaps the biggest reason why the importance of wheel weight is over-estimated by consumers is that weight is easy to understand, measure and compare - everyone knows what a gram or ounce is. And people like things that are easily measured (even if they don't mean much.) By comparison if you start giving people metrics for wheel stiffness, which can be more important in a high performance bike, they won't have any idea what you're talking about - they won't even know if a higher or lower figure is better.
LOL ... do you even ride bikes ?? OTOH ... never mind.

Last edited by Talldog; 09-05-10 at 11:13 PM.
Old 09-05-10, 09:54 PM
khutch
Sumerian Street Rider

Bikes: Dahon Mu P8, Fuji Absolute 1.0

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yes, simple mathematics can explain all scenarios. The problem arises when assumptions are made and/or accepted in order to arrive at a "simple" formula. The formulae touted in these examples are some of those. Ignoring weight distribution will still give you the absolute level of work required. But the formula will not account for the relative difficulty in producing that level of work in a situation where the human body must produce the effort via muscular power and all its attendant ramifications. If it chooses to ignore various difficult to quantify variables in order to reach the simple conclusion desired, it will fall short all the while still producing a guideline in the macro sense. As a crude example of weight distribution, would you rather jog up a hill with 10 pound ankle weights on your legs or have them securely fixed high up in a backpack. The total weight, and thus work, required to get to the top is the same under the mathematical formula, but I certainly know which method would be more difficult.
For the most part moving the weight around has no effect but if you are running you have indeed contrived a situation where it would matter. When you are running with ankle weights you lift your ankle by some amount with every stride and then drop it back to the ground where a lot of the energy you stored into it on the way up is lost when your foot hits the ground. There is no way for it to be converted into forwared motion. Well there is a way that is little known and therefore seldom used and certainly illegal in any competition. Someone designed a spring "foot" you can wear to increase your running efficiency quite a bit by using the energy lost by lifting a dropping your leg/foot mass to propel you forward instead of being converted into heat. It would work with ankle weights too. Now that I think about it there is a second way, spring loaded running tracks have been built and tested to do the same thing.

I suppose that to some extent, depending on how you move the bike and various parts of your body while climbing, that the weight distribution can have some effect but it will be secondary effect at best, probably tertiary. When you are climbing the bulk of the resistance you face is gravity pulling you back down the hill and the effect of gravity depends on the total mass, not where it is located. Managing a secondary or tertiary effect correctly will win a race or get you to the top of the hill before your buddy but it won't make you feel significantly less tired at the top. All you have to do to win is to be a meter ahead, all you have to do to "smoke" your opponent is to be 100 meters ahead. Neither distance represents a significant change in the amount of work you did on the way up, that is determined by the total weight.

Ken
Old 09-06-10, 04:03 AM
AdelaaR

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
LOL ... do you even ride bikes ?? OTOH ... never mind.
Meanwhile is right about what he says about expensive light components being overrated by people.
This has a few reasons:
1) salesmen want to sell you very expensive stuff and lure you into thinking it'll be much better.
2) people want to have an excuse for buying pro stuff, mainly because they want to brag about their pro stuff.

Do not underestimate the power of the placebo effect.
People sense what they want to sense ... there are numerous proven examples of this in many fields.

As I said before: A lighter bike is allways better for climbing, no-one will argue about that as it is obvious.
But how much better?
A few percents max.
Is it worth spending thousands of dollars on a few percents?
For a common man, just wanting to ride: no.

Last edited by AdelaaR; 09-06-10 at 04:45 AM.
Old 09-06-10, 08:49 AM
meanwhile

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Aaahhh ... I think that may be from one of your "unimpeachable sources"
If you mean the idea that comparing energy and force as if they are the same thing is idiotic and meaninglss, then yes. (Btw I do have a degree in theoretical physics from one of the world's top 5 science universities..)

And whining about sources when you haven't provided any (while I have quoted the work of an MIT engineer!) just makes you look like a hypocrite.

Play the semantics game if you like, but you know what I mean.
No. I know that you think that you mean something, but in fact your ideas are a combination of mush and self-contradiction. Any teenager who passed high school physics should have been incapable of the mistakes you have made.

Now, there's nothing (very) wrong with being scientifically innumerate... until you start insisting that you're an expert on classical physics. At which point you become just as much as an idiot as a man who can't speak French insisting that everyone in the world should accept his translation of Remembrance Of Things Past as the definitive one.

Last edited by meanwhile; 09-06-10 at 08:55 AM.
Old 09-06-10, 08:53 AM
meanwhile

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Meanwhile is right about what he says about expensive light components being overrated by people.
This has a few reasons:
1) salesmen want to sell you very expensive stuff and lure you into thinking it'll be much better.
2) people want to have an excuse for buying pro stuff, mainly because they want to brag about their pro stuff.

Do not underestimate the power of the placebo effect.
And the effect of social consensus. (See 2. above.)

People sense what they want to sense ... there are numerous proven examples of this in many fields.

As I said before: A lighter bike is allways better for climbing, no-one will argue about that as it is obvious.
But how much better?
A few percents max.
Exactly. The main things to concentrate on in looking for a new bike are in fact

1. Suitability for your purpose - if you want to climb steep hills, get the right gearing; if you want a safe comfortable mile eater then don't get a bike with the short wheelbase, narrow tyres and sharp angles of a criterion racer

2. A good fit for your body

3. Good welds, expertly built wheels, and excellent assembly work by the bike shop

But none of these are easily compared, so they don't appeal to the human instinct for comparing things and creating hierarchies of prestige and satisfaction.

Last edited by meanwhile; 09-06-10 at 09:00 AM.
Old 09-06-10, 06:21 PM
Talldog

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yea ... but I'm pretty rich
Old 09-07-10, 03:08 AM
AdelaaR

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

Yea ... but I'm pretty rich
That actually explains a lot.
Old 03-26-16, 07:45 PM
mrbuku

Bikes: Giant Defy 5, Giant Escape 1, Windsor Wellington 1.0

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have a Giant Escape 1 and find it a bit easier to climb versus my Windsor Wellington 1.0, Giant Defy 5 or Masi Premaire 1 carbon bike. I just find that bike more comfortable and with the side grips on the bars, my hands fair better in a hybrid position than a road bike position. I do lose a bit in average speed of rides, but climbing with the Escape 1 hybrid is worlds easier than the road bikes. I do have three gears which allow me far more room to play with to allow spinning. Steep climbs I have taken on road bikes have almost made me give up on biking lol.. But I am still learning proper gearing and how to anticipate climbs and where I need to be gear wise. But I do feel Hybrids are under estimated, mine is a Sport Hybrid and when riding in town I often pass road bikers with ease on the slightly heavier bike. But it IS all about the motor, not always the gear..
Old 03-26-16, 09:25 PM
giantcfr1
Ha ha ha ha ha

Bikes: 2004 ORBEA Mitis2 Plus Carbon, 2007 Cannondale Bad Boy Si Disc, 2012 Trek Gary Fisher Collection Marlin WSD 29er Aldi Big Box (Polygon) 650b

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 7 Posts
I think most of those debating this thread 5 and a half years ago have left the building.