Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg)
Reload this Page >

Happy Hollow......I Did It!!!! w/pics

Search
Notices
Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-10, 12:25 PM
jboyd

Bikes: Giant "Rainier"

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Posted last night that I was making a second attempt at a ride I failed at last week because of lack of prep, lack of fitness, and high temps. Well, the temps were not much different this week, but I got a buddy to go along and we started at 6:30am.

26.7 miles of the most hills I have ridden to date, and certainly the most intense hills. This ride consisted of 10 miles of very remote oil chip and 16+ miles of one lane gravel. 1700+ feet of climbing that was mostly in three major climbs. My buddy is 9 years my junior and in better shape then most 20 year olds, so I feel pretty good that I was able to make the same ride that he admitted kicked his butt as well. The second big hill on the route was oil chip and therefore traction was not an issue, but there were a couple of times that both of us looked over at the other to see the front wheels coming off the ground, even having weight distributed forward. Neither of us really understand how cars can go up this thing?

The link to a few more pics is below and here are some highlight pics. Not breathtaking scenery as summer time in Southern Illinois usually blocks all the cool stuff with foliage.

https://s425.photobucket.com/albums/p...%20ft%20Climb/

The six mile warm up before the hills started.

Passing through the sleepy little town of Lick Creek

Jarvis in Pursuit

This is kinda cool, as this is the 6 mile point and the 18 mile point of the ride.

13 miles and about 1200 ft of the climbing out of the way.

Miles and miles of this stuff. Up-Down-Up-Down

Lots of mile long gravel descents. Never let off the brakes as the bottoms of the valleys are always either creek crossings or switch backs. A run out was rare.

In one of the valleys, we were treated with a slick rock low water crossing with a 40 ft water fall on one side of the road.

More miles of rolling gravel hills.

And finally, we were treated to a lady who was feeding Lama's along the road. They are kinda mean.

Last edited by jboyd; 05-30-10 at 12:29 PM.
Old 05-30-10, 12:29 PM
cohophysh
fishologist

Bikes: Diamondback MTB; Leader 736R

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
poor llamas....so misunderstood. We have raised them and they can be a little "grumpy" at times LOL...great pix

1990 Diamond Back MTB
2007 Leader 736R
www.cohocyclist.blogspot.com
https://www.loopd.com/members/cohocyclist/Default.aspx

Old 05-30-10, 12:33 PM
jboyd

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by cohophysh
poor llamas....so misunderstood.
I didn't spend enough time with them to really get to know or "understand" them :-). The owner told us that they are very protective of the goats. And will attack coyotes that try to get them. The older momma lama growled and started to spit on Jarvis when he got too close. I really wanted to get a picture of that :-)))
Old 05-30-10, 03:06 PM
Mr. Beanz
Banned.

Bikes: Lemond Chambery/Cannondale R-900/Trek 8000 MTB/Burley Duet tandem

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
UH-OH, climber in the making!

So are you thrilled about the ride? If yes, just think, throw in an all dirt course and some 26% grades. Then you'll see why I don't look for singletrack rides (not that they wouldn't be nice, just nothing local), actually pretty happy with the steep dirt climbs.

So are you thrilled about the ride? If not, disregard the words above!

No mail yet? Must be the pre holiday slow delivery system!

I must admit, aint as purty as your roads!

Last edited by Mr. Beanz; 05-30-10 at 03:12 PM.
Old 05-30-10, 03:42 PM
jboyd

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Mr. Beanz
UH-OH, climber in the making!

So are you thrilled about the ride?

No mail yet? Must be the pre holiday slow delivery system!

I must admit, aint as purty as your roads!
Hey Fred,

Climber.....Not really. I like to climb, and always feel accomplished, but I also take my time and rest when I hear my heart trying to come out of my ears. Not unusual for me to rest once or twice on a big climb. I have no climbing pride. If I could only ride downhill......I would. If all I had was flat, I would not ride. Having it all keeps it interesting.

Thrilled is not the word I would give it. I am really out of shape, so "Thrilled" to have completed the ride is appropriate. The kind of gravel road rides I have been on lately are mostly a substitute for not having access to singletrack and fire trails. Around here in the summer time, the single track stuff all explodes with poison ivy so I have to wait till the first frost of fall. I am planning on driving 7 hours each way next month to get a few days of real mountain single track.

Don't be Mad, the mail was positive late yesterday afternoon. THANK YOU I love it. I am going to be the envy of the locals who know of such place.

Your scenery is much more breathtaking then here. As far as your picture, I don't think I am in near the shape needed to ride with the big dogs in your area .

Last edited by jboyd; 05-30-10 at 03:47 PM.
Old 05-30-10, 03:48 PM
Mr. Beanz
Banned.

Bikes: Lemond Chambery/Cannondale R-900/Trek 8000 MTB/Burley Duet tandem

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by jboyd
Don't be Mad, the mail was positive late yesterday afternoon. THANK YOU I love it. I am going to be the envy of the locals who know of such place. .
Cool, I was hoping it wouldn't take too long!

Originally Posted by jboyd
As far as your picture, I don't think I am in near the shape needed to ride with the big dogs in your area .
Actually, a couple of the guys I ride with are great motivators. They can talk you up a hill even if you aren't willing to go! It helps on the tough days! So you'd make it!
Old 05-30-10, 04:37 PM
funrover 

Bikes: Mostly schwinn... few classics

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
CONGRATS!!! Thanks for the great pics!
Old 05-31-10, 11:19 AM
Hill-Pumper

Bikes: 2016 Niner RLT Steel, 2015 GT Grade Carbon 105, 2014 NS Bikes Eccentric, 2013 Norco Sight Killer B-1

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Jay, I knew you had it in you!!! Great job. No shame and taking a break on a hill, some of the monsters that I have been climbing on make it a requirement. One note, on the poison ivy, we have a LOT of poison oak around here too. There is a local company that put out a product called tecnu that is a soap that you wash up with after exposure. I have used it and have not had a problem. Just a thought if you were really wanting to hit the single track. Here is a link to their site.
tecnu
Old 05-31-10, 11:49 AM
jboyd

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Hill-Pumper
One note, on the poison ivy, we have a LOT of poison oak around here too. There is a local company that put out a product called tecnu that is a soap that you wash up with after exposure. I have used it and have not had a problem. Just a thought if you were really wanting to hit the single track. Here is a link to their site.
tecnu
Shame in the rest. It seems that on the forums there are two types of riders. The failure is not an option group, and me The resting is a response to my body. Sometimes it may not even be a big climb, my body just says "hey, I am hurting here", and i will stop, rest about 1 minute and take a sip of water and then take off and the rest of the climb, no matter how big seems so much easier. I am not for sure if it is mental or physical. I am 52 yrs old and overweight. I don't want to be found in a pile of poison ivy alongside a trail clutching my chest. If periodic rests help, then I am cool with that.

Thank you on the link. I spent a fortune the last couple of years on Zanfel after getting the rashes. I hate poison ivy. I will order technu and give you a report.
Old 06-03-10, 01:04 PM
callmeclemens

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Awesome job. Beautiful sceneary too.
Old 06-03-10, 07:20 PM
Bingo

Bikes: 2010 Trek Navigator 2.0

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Congrats! That's awesomesauce man. Seriously. I'm friggin impressed.