Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

How do you get rid of drafters??

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

How do you get rid of drafters??

Old 12-15-20, 10:25 PM
cubewheels

Bikes: A really old BMX bike, Phantom 20 kid's MTB, Jackal Mio Gravel Bike

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 676 Post(s)
Liked 287 Times in 230 Posts
Seems like a sprint is the solution but I'm still training at it. I recently figured out the best sprint position for me and now, it's a matter of getting the strength, endurance, and balance to get there.

I think the key is not to over-do the sprint so you still have spare energy remaining at the end of the sprint / attack to maintain cruising pace.
Old 12-16-20, 12:16 AM
Danhedonia

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 209 Post(s)
Liked 154 Times in 84 Posts
Being on a bicycle is not a magical license to ignore basic social norms. Inviting yourself into someone else's personal space without their consent is evidence of a gross lack of perspective, or worse.

If you're out fishing, do you let anyone hop into the boat? No. And they don't anchor next to you - they anchor a bit apart from you if they want to fish the same waters. Do you hop into someone else's hunting blind, and start firing? Demand to be added to the score sheet as they use a lane at a bowling alley?

No. Because personal space is a thing.

And those who are guilty of violating it, sad to say, are always male, always egotistical, and always somehow prioritizing their own agenda over "just getting along with others" and sharing community resources like bike paths and lanes.

They make it clear that they don't recognize or care about others' comfort - so why should theirs be considered?

This is not about "Hey, mind if I ride with you a minute?" This is 'that guy' who pulls up behind you and starts drafting without even a peep.

It's like stalking. And you don't need to be nice about it.
Likes For Danhedonia:
Old 12-16-20, 02:15 AM
downhillmaster

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 657 Post(s)
Liked 387 Times in 201 Posts
Originally Posted by cubewheels View Post
The rider was considerably slower. I started far behind him until I caught up and passed. I was thinking of slowing down to let him pass but given his slower pace before, he'll likely drop speed and I have to pass him again.

Sprinting sounds like a good solution but I'm still under training, trying to master my sprint technique! Definitely will try it as I get really good at it.

If I do sprint, how far ahead should I be so the rider behind me doesn't get any draft benefit? I don't need to get way far ahead I suppose as I still need to conserve my energy to maintain cruising pace.
Sounds like you were totally in the wrong here.
You started far behind him, chased him down, and then were obviously not strong enough to pass and clear him.
You definitely owe him an apology and hopefully you learned a lesson here
Likes For downhillmaster:
Old 12-16-20, 02:16 AM
mr_pedro

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked 52 Times in 35 Posts
Originally Posted by Danhedonia View Post
Being on a bicycle is not a magical license to ignore basic social norms. Inviting yourself into someone else's personal space without their consent is evidence of a gross lack of perspective, or worse.

If you're out fishing, do you let anyone hop into the boat? No. And they don't anchor next to you - they anchor a bit apart from you if they want to fish the same waters. Do you hop into someone else's hunting blind, and start firing? Demand to be added to the score sheet as they use a lane at a bowling alley?

No. Because personal space is a thing.

And those who are guilty of violating it, sad to say, are always male, always egotistical, and always somehow prioritizing their own agenda over "just getting along with others" and sharing community resources like bike paths and lanes.

They make it clear that they don't recognize or care about others' comfort - so why should theirs be considered?

This is not about "Hey, mind if I ride with you a minute?" This is 'that guy' who pulls up behind you and starts drafting without even a peep.

It's like stalking. And you don't need to be nice about it.
No it is not stalking. It is cycling, people draft. If a stranger starts drafting you and you don't want it, tell him or her to stop. You said it yourself: "Being on a bicycle is not a magical license to ignore basic social norms." And we are not children anymore where you can just say, but he started it, and start misbehaving yourself.
Likes For mr_pedro:
Old 12-16-20, 03:37 AM
cubewheels

Originally Posted by downhillmaster View Post
You started far behind him, chased him down, and then were obviously not strong enough to pass and clear him.
I did pull to the extreme side of the road for a good couple minutes but he made no attempt to pass. It worked for me everytime except this one instance.

We started out at 35 kph. I kept increasing the pace until I was doing 40 kph right before my exit.
Old 12-16-20, 03:53 AM
cubewheels

Drafters aren't the worst I encountered. I had male cyclists deliberately cut me off (with one leading to a collision) at the traffic stop simply because I passed them at my normal pace and they can't pass me back. They nearly collided with the stopped cars too just to pull it off.

I have radically altered my training plan to avoid incidents like these.

I now train in spots where I can expect to find many other cyclists also doing training at my pace or faster. I don't mind getting passed. It's actually good motivation for me to try to catch up or match their pace and push harder. It's the closest thing I can get to a group training without actually being in a group! Unfortunately, those spots only cover my climbing training. For my flatlands training, I still have to get to places where the likelihood of encountering dangerous cyclists is huge!
Old 12-16-20, 04:04 AM
mr_pedro

I did pull to the extreme side of the road for a good couple minutes but he made no attempt to pass. It worked for me everytime except this one instance.

We started out at 35 kph. I kept increasing the pace until I was doing 40 kph right before my exit.
It is a game, you know how it works, hunting instinct takes over if you try to run. Sure, increase the pace and try to drop him, but then you are just playing the game and don't get upset if that person tries to keep up.

Again, if you don't want to be drafted, just tell that person.
Old 12-16-20, 09:17 AM
Danhedonia

"Hunting instinct?"

WTF is wrong with you people?
Likes For Danhedonia:
Old 12-16-20, 09:18 AM
Pop N Wood

Bikes: 1982 Bianchi Sport SX, Rayleigh Tamland 1, Rans V-Rex recumbent, Fuji MTB, 80's Cannondale MTB with BBSHD ebike motor

Quoted: 409 Post(s)
Liked 319 Times in 215 Posts
Originally Posted by Rogerogeroge View Post
I don't see why people get so bent out of shape about people drafting them. If their wheels touch, the rider in back is going down, not the rider in front.

But I do think it's a nice courtesy the drafters to ask if they can ride your wheel.
Unless, of course, if the guy in front needs to brake hard or maneuver suddenly and the tool on his wheel isn't paying attention. In that case everyone gets bent.

I've had this happen on beach paths with mixed traffic and obstructions.
Old 12-16-20, 09:27 AM
Danhedonia

Originally Posted by mr_pedro View Post
No it is not stalking. It is cycling, people draft. If a stranger starts drafting you and you don't want it, tell him or her to stop. You said it yourself: "Being on a bicycle is not a magical license to ignore basic social norms." And we are not children anymore where you can just say, but he started it, and start misbehaving yourself.
This is backwards. It is not up to the person who has been wronged to correct the poor behavior; you're supposed to self-regulate.

Maybe I should let my dog go to the bathroom on your lawn until you tell me to stop?

There are no excuses for failing to be considerate of others. You're not supposed to need to be told.
Likes For Danhedonia:
Old 12-16-20, 09:45 AM
jadocs

Bikes: Ti, Mn Cr Ni Mo Nb, Al, C

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 906 Post(s)
Liked 496 Times in 333 Posts
The rider was considerably slower. I started far behind him until I caught up and passed. I was thinking of slowing down to let him pass but given his slower pace before, he'll likely drop speed and I have to pass him again.

Sprinting sounds like a good solution but I'm still under training, trying to master my sprint technique! Definitely will try it as I get really good at it.

If I do sprint, how far ahead should I be so the rider behind me doesn't get any draft benefit? I don't need to get way far ahead I suppose as I still need to conserve my energy to maintain cruising pace.

You say he was considerably slower....you passed him....then decide to pull over on the side of the road....waited for a considerable amount of time (a few minutes) to let him pass.....why? None of this makes any sense.
Likes For jadocs:
Old 12-16-20, 09:47 AM
vespasianus

Bikes: Turner 5-Spot Burner converted; IBIS Ripley, Specialized Crave, Tommasini Sintesi, Cinelli Superstar

Quoted: 161 Post(s)
Liked 148 Times in 76 Posts
Originally Posted by Atlas Shrugged View Post
If you can hold 50 kph for extended time and regularly cruise at 35 kph time to pursue cycling as a career.
That depends where you live! 35 KPH - or 21 MPH is pretty common around here in the low county! Soloing 30+ MPH for any period of time is a different story!
Likes For vespasianus:
Old 12-16-20, 09:50 AM
mr_pedro

"Hunting instinct?"

WTF is wrong with you people?
I am sorry if you can not appreciate this type of tongue in cheek remark.

Last edited by mr_pedro; 12-16-20 at 10:05 AM.
Old 12-16-20, 09:54 AM
downhillmaster

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 657 Post(s)
Liked 387 Times in 201 Posts

Nope.
More tall tales.
You stated that he was slower than you and that you caught up to him.
If you had executed a correct catch and pass he would not have been able to keep up regardless of any draft benefits.
You made a Fredly pass and couldn’t handle it and you then doubled down by coming here to spout nonsense.
I am done with this witness.
The prosecution rests
Likes For downhillmaster:
Old 12-16-20, 10:00 AM
aplcr0331
IMHOME

Bikes: 2016 Cannondale SuperSix Evo

Quoted: 249 Post(s)
Liked 126 Times in 70 Posts
Originally Posted by jadocs View Post
You say he was considerably slower....you passed him....then decide to pull over on the side of the road....waited for a considerable amount of time (a few minutes) to let him pass.....why? None of this makes any sense.
Because...IT NEVER HAPPENED.

Good grief people.
Old 12-16-20, 10:03 AM
mr_pedro

This is backwards. It is not up to the person who has been wronged to correct the poor behavior; you're supposed to self-regulate.

Maybe I should let my dog go to the bathroom on your lawn until you tell me to stop?

There are no excuses for failing to be considerate of others. You're not supposed to need to be told.
I just don't see unannounced drafting as that bad an offence as you do. And your comparisons are out of proportion.
Likes For mr_pedro:
Old 12-16-20, 10:17 AM
jack pot 
Fxxxxr

Bikes: wabi classic (stolen & recovered)

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1212 Post(s)
Liked 532 Times in 383 Posts
I ride fixed through industrial and abandoned parts of the city and never gave this much thought because most bicyclists that I cross aren't cycling for exercise. Whenever I have a bike on my tail I adjust my space to what I need and I have never had any problems with a space invader. I didn't know that people on a bicycle considered some imaginary personal zone an inviolate space. Do these people feel the same if walking or running and a person starts walking or running in your "zone of fear" ? Like 1 poster said, you can treat it like a tail gating car and just pull over however if any of this occurs after dark or on lonely streets that's a bigger Pandora's box that probably belongs in P&R
Old 12-16-20, 11:13 AM
mr_pedro

Originally Posted by jack pot View Post
I ride fixed through industrial and abandoned parts of the city and never gave this much thought because most bicyclists that I cross aren't cycling for exercise. Whenever I have a bike on my tail I adjust my space to what I need and I have never had any problems with a space invader. I didn't know that people on a bicycle considered some imaginary personal zone an inviolate space. Do these people feel the same if walking or running and a person starts walking or running in your "zone of fear" ? Like 1 poster said, you can treat it like a tail gating car and just pull over however if any of this occurs after dark or on lonely streets that's a bigger Pandora's box that probably belongs in P&R
The entire personal zone thing just sounds very snowflaky. It is however a valid argument that someone drafting you requires you to behave differently and increases the risk of collision, so if you are not willing to accept that the other person should respect it.
Likes For mr_pedro:
Old 12-16-20, 11:40 AM
Skulking

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked 88 Times in 34 Posts
Originally Posted by jack pot View Post
Since these imaginary personal zones aren't real, and you can just pull over like you would in a car if someone is tailgating you, I assume then that you have no problem with people tailgating you when you are in a car, and don't understand why people make such a big deal about it being unsafe?
Old 12-16-20, 11:47 AM
jack pot 
Fxxxxr

Bikes: wabi classic (stolen & recovered)

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1212 Post(s)
Liked 532 Times in 383 Posts
Originally Posted by Skulking View Post
Since these imaginary personal zones aren't real, and you can just pull over like you would in a car if someone is tailgating you, I assume then that you have no problem with people tailgating you when you are in a car, and don't understand why people make such a big deal about it being unsafe?
>>> i have a BIG problem with car crazies but unless Im willing to risk prison I just drive on and hope that I don't get rammed BUT on my bike no probs
Old 12-16-20, 03:19 PM
BillyD
Administrator

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene '04; Bridgestone RB-1 '92

Mentioned: 301 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8421 Post(s)
Liked 2,006 Times in 1,149 Posts
Nope.
More tall tales.
If you had executed a correct catch and pass he would not have been able to keep up regardless of any draft benefits.
You made a Fredly pass and couldn’t handle it and you then doubled down by coming here to spout nonsense.
The prosecution rests
I don't see the problem in his account, at all. You're riding faster than some guy, you pass him, then the guy finds that by drafting you he has enough energy to pick up his speed and stick with you. Duh.

But I'm glad you're done with this witness . . . I'll hold you to that.
Likes For BillyD:
Old 12-16-20, 07:57 PM
cubewheels

Nope.
More tall tales.
The prosecution rests
The guy could have been strong and simply riding slowly at that time or doing a recovery session. Not that hard to imagine.
Old 12-16-20, 08:17 PM
cubewheels

Originally Posted by Skulking View Post
It's not a big problem at low speeds.

At much higher speeds, should anything happen that causes you to suddenly reduce speed, that problem would be compounded by the possibility of someone ramming you if there's a drafter.

Drafters simply raise the probability and cost of accidents.

Exceptions to the rule are racing and any other organized events / rides where you're fully aware there will be drafters and willing and prepared to take those risks.
Old 12-17-20, 09:56 PM
7up

Bikes: Aurelia*Bianchi*Cannondale*Colnago*Dahon*Giant*Haro*Lynsky*Monkey Faction*Origin8*Panasonic*Paramont*Peugeot*Ross*Schwinn*SE*Specialized*Trek

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 5 Posts
I’d rather be drafted by another bicyclist then be drafted by a car.In any event I personally ride too slow to be drafted.
Old 12-17-20, 10:17 PM
cubewheels

Originally Posted by 7up View Post
I’d rather be drafted by another bicyclist then be drafted by a car.In any event I personally ride too slow to be drafted.
I've been "drafted" by a car before couple of times. But I think it's more like stalking than drafting.

This is probably more a of a problem for female cyclists but I'm a guy so have no clue why a car would follow me for a few miles behind me. Although I can't complain, a car following you would actually improve your safety on the road even if it's very creepy.
Likes For cubewheels:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.