Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

How do you get rid of drafters??

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

How do you get rid of drafters??

Old 12-17-20, 10:30 PM
cxwrench

Bikes: lots

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 443 Post(s)
Liked 474 Times in 280 Posts
Sounds like you were in the way.
Old 12-18-20, 12:40 AM
cubewheels

Bikes: A really old BMX bike, Phantom 20 kid's MTB, Jackal Mio Gravel Bike

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 662 Post(s)
Liked 286 Times in 229 Posts
Originally Posted by cxwrench View Post
Sounds like you were in the way.
There's plenty of passing space and he could have blasted his horn too. Hanging back for several minutes all the way to my exit, his intention to draft is clearly obvious.
Old 12-18-20, 12:48 AM
rsbob 
Sniveling Weasel

Bikes: Rodriguez Racing Tandem, Fondriest Steelie, Bianchi Trofeo, Bianchi Infinito, Schwinn Varsity, Trek mtn

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 298 Post(s)
Liked 358 Times in 224 Posts
When someone starts drafting, I automatically use hand signals to slow, hazards, etc. so the probability of them hitting me is low. like I said before, if they touch my back tire, they are the one going down, so have zero issue unless the person is a total @$$. If so, I will just slow so they will pass, or step it up so high that I can hopefully burn them up which can be satisfying.

On the flip side, I have had people work hard to catch and pass me. Since usually I am not working that hard, I will jump their wheel and stay on it until they detonate and drop off. It’s one of the many sad parts of my personality.

“He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.”- Fredrick Nietzsche

Likes For rsbob:
Old 12-18-20, 01:49 AM
cubewheels

Originally Posted by rsbob View Post
On the flip side, I have had people work hard to catch and pass me. Since usually I am not working that hard, I will jump their wheel and stay on it until they detonate and drop off. It’s one of the many sad parts of my personality.
It's annoying to be passed by someone who couldn't maintain your pace because they will slow down and then you need to pass them (leap frogging). That's actually one reason why I keep a high cruising speed to reduce the chance of getting leapfroggers. Also common in long climbs.
Likes For cubewheels:
Old 12-18-20, 03:34 AM
mr_pedro

Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked 48 Times in 32 Posts
This sounds a lot like silly commuting racing: https://www.bikeradar.com/advice/fit...muting-racing/
Below are the rules, but in short, you get 1 point for dropping someone that looks faster than you and you loose a point if you get dropped by someone that looks slower than you. How fast you look is determined by the food chain number (FCN).

Silly Commuting Race - The Rules

The Game:
Dropping / Pulling anyone higher in the Food Chain Number makes you stronger and more attractive to burds*. Getting dropped / trying to keep up with anyone lower means your soul hires a kudos remover to lower your self worth. If you scalp someone you have to maintain or extend your lead for such a time as to have the dude you passed admit to themself "I was done". Nipping by, then running into a side road / hiding in traffic won't wash, Be honest with yourself. *Not strictly true

Rules:
  1. No Dangerous Manoeuvres (Don’t be a danger to any other road users or yourself) Falling off causes pain to you and others around you, don’t do it! (oh and you loose yer points)
  2. Don’t ride like a ****, we’re all just trying to get somewhere!
  3. No passing at Lights/Junction/Crossings, if you do, it doesn’t count
  4. All passing on open road ONLY. Filtering in traffic is null and void (you know whether you’ve dropped someone fairly, and haven’t turned off straight afterwards)
  5. Pavement passes, either you or the target is void
  6. Show no pain, unless, like me your face is just like that

FOOD CHAIN NUMBERS:
1. Scooters
2. Roadies with shaved legs - like girls *
3. Proper rapid Single speed (real men, messengers, tarty shiny fixies) *
4. Roadies with hairy legs - like men *
5. Faux Single Speeds (fakengers, dirty/functional bikes, silly egg beater gear) *
6. Touring Bikes (Mud Guards) *
7. "Fast Hybrids" *
8. MTBs on Skinnies *
9. MTBs on Nobbies
10. Bromptons / collapsing bikes
11. MTB full sus on Nobbies
12. Shoppers
13. Shoppers wicker baskets
14. Electric bikes
* Pedal Adjustment +1
• ONLY FCN 2-5 gain points for overtaking the same FCN and Higher Chainers
• Recumbents, Tandems and Segways are worth +2 points as a rare bonus
• Sinclair C5 +20 points as a hens teeth bonus

FCN Adjusters:

CLOTHING:
None:+3
Non-Cycling: +2
Baggies: +1
Lycra: 0
Team Kit: -1
TDF Jersey: -2

BAGGAGE:
Panniers: +1
Back Pack/Courier: 0
Nothing: -1

HEAD GEAR:
Face Mask +1
Helmets/Nothing/Sunglasses: 0
Bike Caps / Wrap arounds: -1

ACCESSORIES:
Herman's Safety Wing" (orange plastic lolly-pop): +2
Trailer:+2
Beard: +1
Child seat (each): +1
Power meter: -1
Aerobars: -1
Coloured tyres -1

PEDALS (If you can identify) FCN2-8 see note above:
Flats: +1
Toe Clips: 0
Evidently Clipless/spds (cycling shoes): -1
Likes For mr_pedro:
Old 12-18-20, 04:50 AM
cubewheels

I'd be 12 with the adjustments.

I look like a commuter in a full fender gravel bike with panniers. Maybe that's how I make a good draft.
Old 12-18-20, 06:33 AM
mr_pedro

I am a roadie with hairy legs (4), no baggage (-1), power meter (-1), clipless (-1), sometimes with team kit (-1)

Giving a FCN of 1, sometimes 0. Basically I am only allowed to let scooters pass me or I will loose points...
Old 12-18-20, 09:55 AM
growlerdinky
Johnny the Wad

Bikes: 1980-82 Colnago Super, 2014 Giant TCR Composite 2, 1999 Bianchi Campione, 1985 Schwinn Super Le Tour

Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 19 Posts
wow this one has gone off the rails
Old 12-18-20, 09:57 AM
cxwrench

Bikes: lots

Quoted: 443 Post(s)
Liked 474 Times in 280 Posts
Originally Posted by cubewheels View Post
There's plenty of passing space and he could have blasted his horn too. Hanging back for several minutes all the way to my exit, his intention to draft is clearly obvious.
So now cars are drafting bike riders?
Old 12-18-20, 10:01 AM
10 Wheels
Galveston County Texas

Bikes: 2010 Catrike Expedition, 02 GTO, 2011 Magnum

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 856 Post(s)
Liked 271 Times in 135 Posts
I had a Woman (In her Auto) once Follow me for about 2 miles w three Four way Stops.
So on the fourth one, I asked her WHY?

She said : She was keeping me Safe.

Likes For 10 Wheels:
Old 12-18-20, 10:12 AM
joesch

Bikes: 83 Colnago Super, 87 50th Daccordi, 87 Guerciotti, 90s Colnago Master and Titanio, 96 Serotta Colorado TG, 95/05 Colnago C40/C50, 00 Klein Attitude Comp MTB, 08 Lemond Filmore SS, 12 Cervelo R3

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 254 Post(s)
Liked 148 Times in 110 Posts
Originally Posted by Kapusta View Post
Start hacking and coughing.
Yes I prefer drafters during this pandemic and try to avoid drafting as I cycle for the workout and health
Old 12-18-20, 12:24 PM
Danhedonia

Quoted: 206 Post(s)
Liked 148 Times in 83 Posts
Originally Posted by mr_pedro View Post
I just don't see unannounced drafting as that bad an offence as you do. And your comparisons are out of proportion.
When did you figure out that you're the one to decide what others' emotional responses and opinions should be?

Hint: you're not. That's called invalidation, and it's poor character.
Old 12-18-20, 03:21 PM
mr_pedro

Originally Posted by Danhedonia View Post
When did you figure out that you're the one to decide what others' emotional responses and opinions should be?

Hint: you're not. That's called invalidation, and it's poor character.
One thing is for sure, your emotional response is not letting you think clearly.
My comment did not contain a value judgement.
Likes For mr_pedro:
Old 12-18-20, 03:30 PM
Trakhak

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 732 Post(s)
Liked 420 Times in 265 Posts
For those who find themselves being drawn into bickering in this thread or elsewhere, I suggest going over to the Road subforum and and spending a few minutes reading the current "Worst Customer E.V.A.R." thread. You'll find the gleeful reports of nightmarish encounters with customers cathartic.
Likes For Trakhak:
Old 12-20-20, 11:50 AM
MNHarv

Bikes: Trek Millennia, Trek 400, Raleigh Superbe, Giant OCR3, Bianchi Milano

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 23 Posts
This thread needs a little levity:

Why not change your diet? The likelihood of having one stored up ready to rip ought to change a "drafter's" mind.

Last edited by MNHarv; 12-20-20 at 05:49 PM.
Old 12-20-20, 12:06 PM
phughes

Quoted: 534 Post(s)
Liked 411 Times in 248 Posts
And the number one way to get rid of drafters: Move to Canada.
Likes For phughes:
Old 12-20-20, 12:18 PM
rosefarts
With a mighty wind

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 629 Post(s)
Liked 327 Times in 194 Posts
Pre Covid, if I got passed by a group I'd try to hang on. If I got passed by a single person, I would usually let them go unless it was someone I know.

If I passed a group, I'd never draft. If the whole group is slow enough that my weak butt can catch them, it'd be pretty boring to ride with them.

For singles, it doesn't happen to me. I can pass the old dudes who don't want to ride with me anyway but I'm not fast enough for the people who do draft.

Post Covid, I ride alone no matter what it takes. Since I got the vaccine last week, I may reevaluate my strategy.
Old 12-20-20, 10:28 PM
downhillmaster

Quoted: 656 Post(s)
Liked 382 Times in 199 Posts
Originally Posted by BillyD View Post
I don't see the problem in his account, at all. You're riding faster than some guy, you pass him, then the guy finds that by drafting you he has enough energy to pick up his speed and stick with you. Duh.

But I'm glad you're done with this witness . . . I'll hold you to that.
I think you failed to notice that he also mentioned that he pulled over for A GOOD COUPLE MINUTES to try and let him pass

Last edited by downhillmaster; 12-20-20 at 10:31 PM.
Old 12-21-20, 02:46 AM
vane171

Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Liked 42 Times in 29 Posts
Originally Posted by 10 Wheels View Post
I had a Woman (In her Auto) once Follow me for about 2 miles w three Four way Stops.
So on the fourth one, I asked her WHY?

She said : She was keeping me Safe.
LOL

Maybe you have nice legs or something? Driving a car, I recall being sorry I couldn't stay behind some woman on a bike, I recall a woman looking nice on her motorbike too.
Old 12-21-20, 02:59 AM
cubewheels

Originally Posted by downhillmaster View Post
I think you failed to notice that he also mentioned that he pulled over for A GOOD COUPLE MINUTES to try and let him pass
What I said is "pull", not "pull over"

Do they have the same meaning? Sorry, not a native english speaker.

I did move to the extreme side of the road but I did not stop nor slowed down. He did not pass but rather followed me into the dirt (there was a bit of dirt at the edge of the road. He was determined to be a wheel sucker and eat my dust than anything else.
Old 12-21-20, 12:16 PM
run50

Bikes: Seven Elium SLX, Spot Mountain bike, Co-Motion Pangea touring bike,Trek 5500, Argon gravel bike,

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
I just look back and tell them to get the hell off my wheel.
Old 12-21-20, 12:17 PM
TricycleTom

Bikes: Jeunet 12, Car-Cycle X-4, Aerovironment Charger

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 10 Posts
Relax! It is always the rear rider who is at risk. If wheels overlap and touch, the drafter's wheel gets steered out from under him.
Old 12-21-20, 12:23 PM
PatW

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by cubewheels View Post
I went out for a ride in a long stretch of road. Mostly flat, no wind so things are pretty fast.

Another cyclist decided to draft behind me the entire time. Problem was they're too close for comfort, only few feet behind.

I'm aware that pro peloton goes that close. But if you don't trust the guy behind you is quite proficient at close quarters drafting, you don't wan't them on your back, especially, in the presence of vehicular traffic.
A basic matter of cycling etiquette is to ask permission before you draft. This is not something you have to do in a group ride. But hopping onto the wheel of a total stranger is not cool. It is a perfectly respectable response to ask the person NOT TO DRAFT in a civil manner. I believe this is to be preferred over taking evasive maneuvers, unplanned route changes or slowing down.
Likes For PatW:
Old 12-21-20, 12:29 PM
melville

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I had people drafting me unexpectedly many times when I lived in the city. I really didn't care for it, as I felt the responsibility of keeping some unknown rider informed about hazards was more of a burden than I wanted on my 4 mile commute.

One day I left work at the bicycle shop, riding my mountain bike mit knobbies and wearing just bike shorts along with my work shirt. Some fred was right on my wheel and didn't bother to introduce himself at several stoplights. I'd had enough, so without stopping pedaling I grabbed the front brake for a moment. I heard a buzz, felt a thump, and I no longer was the derny.

About a mile later, I was waiting at a drawbridge that was up. My draft "buddy" pulled up and said, "I would have expected (bike shop owner) to have hired someone who could ride!" Seems my "buddy" was a customer! I calmly told him I'd been hired for my mad wrench skillz, not my riding.

The next day at work I fully fessed up to (bike shop owner) and he laughed. It seems he and my draft "buddy" had been chasing the same woman in the recent past.
Likes For melville:
Old 12-21-20, 01:05 PM
SpeedyBlueBiker

Bikes: 1999 Giant ATX MTB, 2002 Lemond Zurich, 2018 Fuji Transonic 2.3, 2019 Specialized Tarmac Disc Expert

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 21 Posts
I ride a lot in the Seattle area on the BG and the SRT. I don't draft people but I do "pace" people. By that, I mean I might ride about 15 to 30 yards behind them but don't want to pass them. Just use their pacing. I usually do this more on my easy day rides where I don't want to ride faster than 18mph, making 16-17mph just fine. It helps me in keeping my easy ride stay there and not turning into a 19-20mph harder effort ride.

When cycling at Non Bong in Bangkok most people don't draft. At the 600m oval at Rama IX park everyone is drafting everyone so it's kind of accepted. Skylane out at the airport there are all types. Some drafting some don't but people will jump on your wheel if you're going anywhere between 30-35kph.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.