Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Change of pants

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Change of pants

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-11, 07:20 AM
bluefoxicy

Bikes: 2010 GT Tachyon 3.0

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Change of pants

I think I should keep a change of pants at work... came off my bike on a wet wood bridge today (bike went left, completely, like the contact point tracked left and I went pendulum over the top to the right), clipped out a millisecond before the first impact. Hit my hip so hard the OPPOSITE hip was sore from the shock, yikes. Elbow did damage to the wood. XD

My pants are slightly torn now (good pants, too, Lands' End $40 pants I got for $30 ...) and extremely dirty, but they've lasted me about 3 years already with the only other damage being the hems where I've ground the fabric with my heel (kicking my shoes off... not doing that anymore). I'll sew up the pinto-bean-sized tear and pass 'em to Good Will; it's time to buy more work clothes anyway.

Guess I should keep a change of pants at work, or carry a set of clothes in a pannier or CamelBak or whatnot and go in cycling clothes. No shorts though; I need the skin on my legs protected from pavement (and people ask me why I want light body armor for road commuting? I fall off all the time!)

Anyway I need to go clean this scrape on my arm...too late now I guess, it's already healed over; the skin's a little red but it's skin instead of a scrape. started at 69.7 today...
Old 04-25-11, 07:35 AM
tjspiel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 13 Posts
Sorry about the crash and I agree, a spare change of clothes at work is never a bad idea.
Old 04-25-11, 08:30 AM
JPprivate
Very, very Senior Member

Bikes: 2012 Surly Troll, 1999 Hardtail MTB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I am somewhat of a whimp, I admit. A crash like that and I would ride back home and call in sick :-)
Old 04-25-11, 08:47 AM
sggoodri

Bikes: 1983 Trek 500, 2002 Lemond Zurich, 2023 Litespeed Watia

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I always keep a spare set of business casual clothes at work in case of coffee and lunch mishaps. I'm clumsy.

It also helps when I make a mistake packing my pannier for the day - like accidentally picking up my wife's pants folded on the corner of the bed instead of mine.
Old 04-25-11, 08:49 AM
bluefoxicy

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by JPprivate
I am somewhat of a whimp, I admit. A crash like that and I would ride back home and call in sick :-)
I was closer to work and I've burned too much time.

Originally Posted by sggoodri
It also helps when I make a mistake packing my pannier for the day - like accidentally picking up my wife's pants folded on the corner of the bed instead of mine.
I've yet to show up to work in a kilt....
Old 04-25-11, 09:03 AM
himespau 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 4253 Post(s)
Liked 2,968 Times in 1,822 Posts
I pretty much always have a spare set of clothes at work in case of rain or a accidental spill of something on them in the lab. Wipeouts just added another justification for doing so, thanks.
Old 04-25-11, 09:09 AM
canyoneagle

Bikes: Vassago Moosknuckle Ti 29+ XTR, 90's Merckx Corsa-01 9sp Record, PROJECT: 1954 Frejus SuperCorsa

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 174 Post(s)
Liked 157 Times in 75 Posts
I pack everything for my day in my pannier(s), including shoes, and ride in whatever is comfy and appropriate for the weather. works for me.
Old 04-25-11, 02:30 PM
ratell

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 27 Posts
I carry a change of clothes in my pannier and still have a spare change of clothes I keep at work in case. I actually managed to forget to pack pants one day. Having a spare in a drawer is great insurance for being an idiot.
Old 04-25-11, 02:50 PM
CACycling

Bikes: 2009 Fuji Roubaix RC; 2011 Fuji Cross 2.0; '92 Diamond Back Ascent EX

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 12 Posts
I keep a spare set of clothes and my shoes at work then pack clothes for the day in my pannier.
Old 04-25-11, 03:17 PM
scroca
commuter and barbarian

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I have to have a back-up of the essentials at work in case I somehow forget something. I've forgotten both socks and underwear in the past. So I have a spare pair of pants, socks and a spare shirt at work.

My shoes and belt stay at work permanently so I don't have to worry about hauling or forgetting those.

I figure if I forget the underpants I can go commando for a day and it won't kill me.
Old 04-25-11, 07:56 PM
MTBerJim

Bikes: 04 Stumpjumper FSR Expert Disc, 10 Marin San Rafael

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sorry to read about you're wreck this morning. This morning was my first "wet" commute, meaning grey skies; the road was wet and lots of puddles. One thing I kept thinking was, if it starts raining, I'm going to have to work in wet clothing all day. The next truck day I'm going to bring in a complete change, just to be safe.
Old 04-26-11, 01:47 AM
fuzz2050
Real Men Ride Ordinaries

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by himespau
I pretty much always have a spare set of clothes at work in case of rain or a accidental spill of something on them in the lab. Wipeouts just added another justification for doing so, thanks.
Spending an entire day naked under a lab coat just isn't fun, is it?
Old 04-26-11, 05:34 AM
himespau 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 4253 Post(s)
Liked 2,968 Times in 1,822 Posts
can't imagine it would be. Especially as I'm tall and our lab coats are all a bit short for me. No one wants to see me in a shorty lab coat and nothing else.
Old 04-26-11, 08:49 AM
pallen
Descends like a rock

Bikes: Scott Foil, Surly Pacer

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 8 Posts
I'm lucky to have space at work. I have 6 shirts and 3 pair of pants here now. About once a week I bring about half of it home, wash and return. I only wear these clothes in the office for 8 hours while I'm at work, so I find I can easily wear them 4-5 times before I need to wash. Even then, they don't smell, I just don't want to push it to that point. Three of the shirts are all wool - I think that helps too. The only thing I haul every day is underwear and I still manage to forget those from time to time. I sweat too much to ride in my work clothes.
Old 04-26-11, 10:36 AM
garagegirl

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I always ride in cycling clothes, and carry my change of clothes in a saddle bag (either carradice or acorn)

If you find yourself always falling off your bike, I would suggest trying different tires. What kind of tires do you currently have? Some tires are terrible in the wet.
Your balance and handling skills will improve as you ride more, but there are things you can change on your bike to make life easier for you right away.
Old 04-26-11, 05:58 PM
sci_femme

Bikes: cyclotank

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by fuzz2050
Spending an entire day naked under a lab coat just isn't fun, is it?
Not at all and do not ask me how I know it.

SF
Old 04-26-11, 06:07 PM
sci_femme

Bikes: cyclotank

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I ride in cycling clothes and keep a stick of deodorant, pair of jeans, several t-shirts with company logo and some pretty lacy things in the desk drawer.
Old 04-26-11, 09:29 PM
CB HI
Cycle Year Round

Quoted: 1316 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 59 Posts
Having a spare set of work clothes at work is always a good idea. I am surprised that no one has yet mentioned that an even better idea is to learn how to ride the bike so you are not crashing all the time.
Old 04-26-11, 11:56 PM
garagegirl

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yeah, assuming your bike doesn't have some underlying mechanical issues, and that your tires aren't horrid, you might want to take some classes. REI offers beginner mountain and road classes. The instructor might be be able to assess what you're doing wrong. My suspicion is that you're braking incorrectly and you're not distributing your weight correctly on descents. The handling skills you will pick up from an intro mtb course will be very helpful.
If you're currently using clipless pedals, I would switch to platforms without cages until your handling skills improve. Be sure to wear stiff shoes with grippy soles if you go that route.

Last edited by garagegirl; 04-27-11 at 05:03 PM.
Old 04-27-11, 03:12 PM
atbman

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
I've never been that frightened
Old 04-27-11, 03:44 PM
bluefoxicy

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by garagegirl
Yeah, assuming your bike doesn't have some underlying mechanical issues, and that your tires aren't horrid, you might want to take some classes. REI offers beginner mountain and road classes. The instructor might be be able to assess what you're doing wrong. My suspicion is that you're braking incorrectly and you're not disributing your weight correctly on decents. The handling skills you will pick up from an intro mtb course will be very helpful.
Yeah my balance is all weird, my handling of the bike is odd, etc. Hmm I don't see any such classes at REI, but I've signed up for the beginner's bike maintenance class (free).
Old 04-27-11, 04:34 PM
garagegirl

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Every REI offers different classes. The one by me offers road classes but not mountain.
Old 04-27-11, 04:39 PM
CB HI
Cycle Year Round

Quoted: 1316 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 59 Posts
Originally Posted by bluefoxicy
Yeah my balance is all weird, my handling of the bike is odd, etc. Hmm I don't see any such classes at REI, but I've signed up for the beginner's bike maintenance class (free).
From the other thread, stop trying to use only your front brake for now. Save that for when you have more experience and really need it for a panic stop.
Old 04-27-11, 05:36 PM
bluefoxicy

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by CB HI
From the other thread, stop trying to use only your front brake for now. Save that for when you have more experience and really need it for a panic stop.
Yeah, right. I tried my back brake only for a while, then switched to using both. I immediately noticed the rear wheel would always slide to the left when I hit the back brake, though I just went with it since I didn't fall. I switched to the front brake after I learned to brace against the handlebars before braking.

I've had one emergency panic stop, which was when some wench in a minivan stared me down as I approached (at 20mph) and then turned dead in front of me. She actually sat stopped for several seconds, I made eye contact to make sure she saw me, she just watched until I got close and then turned in front. Hit my front brake, knew I shouldn't, knew it'd end bad... grabbed my rear brake too in a panic. Bike immediately goes sideways and dumps me under it.

Not doing that. Back brake is for when the front brake is not useful, not for general use.
Old 04-27-11, 05:40 PM
MTBerJim

Bikes: 04 Stumpjumper FSR Expert Disc, 10 Marin San Rafael

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bluefoxicy
From the other thread you said the bike shop near you has classes they charge for. You may want to look into mountain bike clubs where you live, The club from my area has weekly beginner rides. If you can spend some time in the dirt it will help you when you find yourself on sketchy pavement, wood bridges, etc, etc.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.