Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

First Ride: Ride to Live

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-05, 11:34 AM
xodeuce

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I did my first ride (Ride to Live) yesterday, after getting my bike last thursday. I did the 18.5 mile option, and finished in 1:07. Not bad for the first time on the bike I didn't think. It was a lot of fun riding with other people, we swapped off who pulled, etc. It was a blast!

I do have some questions:

After being on the bike for an hour straight, I noticed that it seemed like I was slipping forward on the seat a bit. The guy at the shop that fit the bike to me said that he was going to angle it down slightly to avoid unwanted pressure on the jewels. Given the fact that I wear cycling shorts, I didn't know if that's really necessary, or if it would be even more uncomfortable with the seat level. Just wanted some feedback on it. Also, I found out that I'd like to invest in some better shorts, my old ones from my mtb days have about had it. Any suggestions as to what kind to invest in, trying to stay under $75 if possible?
Old 06-27-05, 12:20 PM
Steelrider

Bikes: Albert Eisentraut custom w/DA, Kestrel RT 700 w/Ultegra, Jamis Tangier

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Great job on your first organized ride! 18ish is really good for a first ride, was the route pretty flat/rolling? As for the seat issue, if what you described is the case, the shop's solution doesn't really make sense. Think about this - if you were slipping forward on a seat that was level (assumption), why would you then angle it down so you could slide forward even more/more easily? This doesn't really follow and sounds like bad advice. Although you'll get some variance of opinion, the overwhelming majority ride with the seat level, excluding some tt guys whose bars are pretty low and stay aero or in drops the whole ride. You'd do better experimenting with the fore/aft adjustment and sliding your seat rails forward and keeping it level for now. As a general caution, when you are experimenting with your position, try to keep your adjustments very specific and take note of where you are currently and where you adjust to (many seat rails have measurement marks on them so you can tell how much you are moving it). And don't do multiple adjustments at once unless you are just so far out of whack that you must just to be semi-comfortable. Point being, if you are just starting out, you're still trying to establish a baseline for a comfortable fit going forward as opposed to making small adjustments from a baseline. Good luck and keep posting your progess and adjustments.

As for the shorts, there are plenty of shorts you can afford with a $75 budget. If you're talking bibs, you're going to be more limited. Look at the padding, as the thicknesses will vary by brand - sometime greatly. Pearl Izumi, Castelli and Descente make good stuff, but will be pricey unless on sale and unless you know the brands/styles from experience this stuff is hard to buy through catalog/Internet. If you have a performance or Supergo store near you, their house brands are generally very good and reasonable. As you get more into it, you'll find what works for you and what doesn't.
Old 06-27-05, 12:31 PM
Grasschopper
He drop me

Bikes: '03 Marin Mill Valley, '02 Eddy Merckx Corsa 0.1, '12 Giant Defy Advance, '20 Giant Revolt 1, '20 Giant Defy Advanced Pro 1, some random 6KU fixie

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 138 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 9 Posts
I think the other poster mis read your post. Your saddle is nose down right now correct? If so level it. Having said that it may not help...LOL...mine if level and I still slide foreward. I have tried many different positions, fore/aft and height and have not found a fix so sorry I don't have one for you if leveling the seat doesn't work.

As for shorts do yourself a favor and buy bibs. Performance has a decent sale going on on their Elite level bib ands the Century level bibs. Check em out. Elite for $44.98 and the Century for $39.98

If you haven't shoped at Performance before then spend the extra $10 or whatever it is to sign up for Team Performance as you get better pricing on some items as well as 10% back in credit and upgraded shipping (2 day air for normal ground cost) as well as faster order processing. Also check the affiliate link section for a 20% off coupon for orders over $75.
Old 06-27-05, 12:52 PM
Steelrider

Bikes: Albert Eisentraut custom w/DA, Kestrel RT 700 w/Ultegra, Jamis Tangier

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Grasschopper
I think the other poster mis read your post. Your saddle is nose down right now correct?
Yep. "The other poster" misread it, but I still think this was bad advice for a new road rider - makes you wonder whether they were trying to compensate for a fit problem. This is such a basic thing that you gotta seriously question the knowledge/experience of the person doing the set up.
Old 06-27-05, 12:58 PM
joeprim

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I like my saddle just a bit higher than level. No problems so far.

Joe
Old 06-27-05, 01:05 PM
Tien

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
why bibs?
Old 06-27-05, 01:07 PM
xodeuce

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yeah, I'm going back today with the bike to get that adjusted. The LBS has a 90 day fit guarantee, they'll swap any parts for comparably priced ones for free until it fits right. There's a group ride today that leaves the shop at 6:15, so I'll head over early and get things adjusted. Thankfully the guy who fits the bikes will be on the ride, so that'll be convienent. (different than the person who fit me, the usual guy was off the day I bought the bike)

The terrain was hilly, and the last climb about killed me, but I had enough left to make it up at about 11 mph... which seemed oh so slow.
The profile of the route is:

(Note: this is the full 62 mile profile, so the 18 would be just the first part, I know the scale is difficult to read unless your monitor runs 640x480)

so it was pretty hilly, my legs were a bit rubbery afterwards, but I wasn't too worn out.

Thanks for the advice on the shorts/bibs, I'll check out what they have at the LBS when I'm in there today. I'll probably buy the first pair from them, just cause they're really good to do business with, and very accomodating.
Old 06-27-05, 01:28 PM
Grasschopper
He drop me

Bikes: '03 Marin Mill Valley, '02 Eddy Merckx Corsa 0.1, '12 Giant Defy Advance, '20 Giant Revolt 1, '20 Giant Defy Advanced Pro 1, some random 6KU fixie

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 138 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Tien
why bibs?
Because they are MUCH more comfortable...no waist band digging in and no shorts sliding down.
Old 06-27-05, 06:58 PM
Tien

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hmm... I might have to try them then. The pictures in the ads turned me away...but now i realize that they are worn under the jerseys (thanks to another thread). Thanks for the tip.