Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

What have you been wrenching on lately?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

What have you been wrenching on lately?

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-24, 07:12 PM
bikamper
1991 PBP Anciens

Bikes: 1954 Robin Hood, 1964 Dunelt, 1968 Raleigh Superbe, 1969 Robin Hood, 197? Gitane, 1973 Raleigh SuperCourse, 1981 Miyata 710, 1990 Miyata 600GT, 2007 Rivendell Bleriot

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked 305 Times in 117 Posts
Still no bike related stuff, but I do have a saddle coming for the Everton next week.
I did spend more time on the 90 year old lathe after lunch today. I figured out how the overly complicated 'Compound Drive' six speed transmission worked. It's basically a dual range, Hi/Low, transmission with three speeds in each range. I checked the run out and end play on the main shaft and it was well within spec. I did run into a problem. While checking that the bearings weren't overheating, the lathe started to shake badly and something came flying out at me. It was the outer pulley flange from the drive motor. Either the belt was too tight, out of line, or the pulley casting was bad. Funny thing was that once the pulley flange broke off, the belt stayed on what was left of the pulley and the lathe ran smooth and silent.
I'll head to Ace Hardware tomorrow with my $5 off coupon and get a new pulley.
Likes For bikamper:
Old 03-09-24, 08:06 PM
jamesdak 

Bikes: Paletti,Pinarello Monviso,Duell Vienna,Giordana XL Super,Lemond Maillot Juane.& custom,PDG Paramount,Fuji Opus III,Davidson Impulse,Pashley Guv'nor,Evans,Fishlips,Y-Foil,Softride, Tetra Pro, CAAD8 Optimo,

Mentioned: 156 Post(s)
Quoted: 2324 Post(s)
Liked 4,992 Times in 1,777 Posts
Originally Posted by Bianchigirll

jamesdak 4? as in 4 degrees Fahrenheit I'm glad we're sort of past that here even 40 is too cold for me these days. Did you get any of those hurricane winds they were talking about Nevada getting the other day?
Fortunately not 4 but 40. I'm getting too old for the -0 rides I used to do, LOL!
Old 03-09-24, 08:20 PM
jamesdak 

Bikes: Paletti,Pinarello Monviso,Duell Vienna,Giordana XL Super,Lemond Maillot Juane.& custom,PDG Paramount,Fuji Opus III,Davidson Impulse,Pashley Guv'nor,Evans,Fishlips,Y-Foil,Softride, Tetra Pro, CAAD8 Optimo,

Got in a few other little tasks today. I used a very old Park Pin Spanner to finally tighten the lock "nut" on the Raleigh Prestige. The last thing I needed to sort out before I could test ride it.

This headset just has two notches to turn it. The Pin Spanner seems to have done the trick, I hope.

Then I took the Pacenti out again. Forgot about the balky Ultegra rear shifter and it basically stopped down shifting at all. I expect this with old STI shifter but a new 11 speed one with maybe 400 miles on it. Come on Shimano! Anyway after doing most of the 27 mile ride as a single speed I was determined not to forget about this again. Never even took the bike in, opened the garage, got out the PB Blaster, and soaked it down. As usual after a couple of minutes it started working freely. Left the bike in the garage with a towel under the shifter to drip overnight. I'll clean it up and relube with Triflow tomorrow. Not impressed at all with having to do that with a STI shifter this new.

Old 03-09-24, 10:09 PM
P!N20

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 1079 Post(s)
Liked 1,899 Times in 931 Posts
Originally Posted by jamesdak
What's that stem, jamesdak ?
Old 03-10-24, 06:49 AM
VintageSteelEU

Bikes: Motobecane C41, Matsu$hita Nashonaru

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 215 Post(s)
Liked 436 Times in 253 Posts
And done. I guess I could get them to a mirror finish, but for now they are perfect enough. I could also re-anodise or touch up the black plates with enamel, but I'm usually not too bothered with getting the pedals "as new". They spin great, which is what matters.
I'm planning to do some cosmetic stuff with the frame they will go on this Winter, so while I'm at that, I'll probably put some more work into polishing the components. For now I just want to get it on the road as soon as I can and test it out to see if that's even a keeper.

Old 03-10-24, 07:15 AM
jamesdak 

Originally Posted by P!N20
What's that stem, jamesdak ?
SR Aero

https://velobase.com/ViewComponent.a...m=102&AbsPos=3
Old 03-10-24, 10:17 AM
Classtime 

Bikes: 82 Medici, 2011 Richard Sachs, 2011 Milwaukee Road

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Quoted: 1952 Post(s)
Liked 2,013 Times in 1,112 Posts
VintageSteelEU Do those pedals require a special tool to rebuild? I let a pair of Superbe road pedals go because the tool was very hard to come by.
Old 03-10-24, 11:29 AM
BTinNYC 

Bikes: Bicycles? Yup.

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 482 Post(s)
Liked 1,593 Times in 739 Posts
Clearcoat success (i.e. no drips)! Polish after curing for a couple weeks.

Old 03-10-24, 11:38 AM
VintageSteelEU

Originally Posted by Classtime
VintageSteelEU Do those pedals require a special tool to rebuild? I let a pair of Superbe road pedals go because the tool was very hard to come by.
No. To remove the plates you need 2mm allen key and to get into the bearings and remove the spindle you need 4mm Allen key and a standard pedal spanner to hold the spindle.They use cartridge bearings and it would seem these bearings last forever. With the other set I have, I suspect the bearings were not replaced in the last 40 years. There is another, earlier version of Superbe pedals (Superbe Custom, made by MKS) and they have a dustcap and I guess loose bearing balls. I'd imagine these are the ones you're taking about. I'd probably open them with an adjustable wrench, after wrapping the dustcap with some leather or rubber. I have, however, seen MKS pedal opening tool on evilbay below 10 bucks here. I'm sure they would be available globally.
Old 03-10-24, 11:58 AM
jamesdak 

Decided today will be a lazy ride, test day. So this morning I'm finishing up minor things on the Raleigh Prestige and some things on the Miele Latina. Making sure all parts seem to be functioning fine and safely. Pulled some of the old stickers and bike license sticker off the Miele too. Need to see if anyone's ID'd a good paint match for these to fix up the few marks in the paint. Also still planning on removing the chewed up top tube decals. Hit both with some spray on wax because you just can't take out a bike without trying to punch up the shine some.

Last edited by jamesdak; 03-11-24 at 06:11 AM.
Old 03-10-24, 03:20 PM
Classtime 

Bikes: 82 Medici, 2011 Richard Sachs, 2011 Milwaukee Road

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Quoted: 1952 Post(s)
Liked 2,013 Times in 1,112 Posts
Dust cap is easy. Allan nut/bolt also easy. Removing the bearings not so easy without

Old 03-10-24, 03:27 PM
Chuck M 
Happy With My Bikes

Bikes: Hi-Ten bike boomers, a Trek Domane and some projects

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 884 Post(s)
Liked 2,308 Times in 1,118 Posts
I spent time that would have been better spent riding today overhauling the carburetor on my mower that hasn't been used for two seasons. A couple of years ago, I broke down and let someone mow my yard for me. He was cheap and I got what I paid for so I thought I'd give it a try. The majority of my time doing this was spent trying to find the main jet that I dropped in the Bermuda under my work stand. A new jet would have been 18 bucks and a new carburetor on Amazon would have been 11. But I don't like giving up so I searched until I found it.

Likes For Chuck M:
Old 03-10-24, 03:55 PM
bikamper
1991 PBP Anciens

Bikes: 1954 Robin Hood, 1964 Dunelt, 1968 Raleigh Superbe, 1969 Robin Hood, 197? Gitane, 1973 Raleigh SuperCourse, 1981 Miyata 710, 1990 Miyata 600GT, 2007 Rivendell Bleriot

I got the new pulley for the lathe this morning. As nothing seems to be easy with this lathe project, the threads for the new pulley set screw did not go all the way through. That normally would rate a sighing JHC as I'd walk over to my tap and die drawer in the great big tool box. Being stuck on a knee scooter elicits much more picturesque speech as I'm maneuvering around motorcycles, bench vises, small engines, and the occasional lost bolt that reappears just to cause the scooter to come to an abrupt stop.

I believe I found the cause of the pulley fiasco. The driven pulley is a poorly fit replacement. It looks like someone tried to open the bore of the pulley with a Dremel and grind stone then forced it on the shaft. I got it off and cleaned up the bore with an adjustable reamer until it was a slip fit on the shaft. I lined up the pulleys and put a bit of slack in the belt. Things seem happy now.
Likes For bikamper:
Old 03-10-24, 04:15 PM
VintageSteelEU

Originally Posted by Classtime
Dust cap is easy. Allan nut/bolt also easy. Removing the bearings not so easy without
Not sure if this would be compatible. Another option would be to find someone with a lathe, if you know the exact measurements of this tool. Thankfully, that's not a bridge I have to cross right now, the bearings are smooth in both sets of pedals. It looks suspiciously similar to a lever I have for my socket wrenches though.

I've managed to get a moment of peace and quiet in the evening today, so I've made a start on another wheelset. I had a set of wheels I've rebuilt last Summer: Ambrosio 19 Extra Elite and Suntour Superbe 1000 magic (because they don't stop spinning) hubs. I decided to take it apart and use double butted spokes and Ambrosio Excellight rims for a new wheelset. For now I have re-laced the front one, hopefully over the next few days I'll find a few minutes to do the rear and then truing and tensioning. They will go back on Superbe Pro / Matsus|hita bicycle. I think with this last batch of wheelsets it's the first time ever I decided to grease all of the eyelets, normally I just dunk the DS rear wheel nipples in oil before building.
19 Extra Elites might be put back into service on Moto C5 I'll be building up soon. Not sure what hubs yet, because I seem to have several of standard Maillard / Atom hubs and a load of Normandy large flange ones, but I think C5 deserves something nicer (and still French). Or perhaps I could use a set of MA40 rims I have on my commuting bike with some nice French hubs, get rid of all Shimano 600EX components I have on that one and use Sunshine / Excellence wheelset I have as a spare to switch that bicycle to Suntour Sprint componentry... Not mentioning that I will have to figure out some stand that can take three bicycles upright. I'm starting to run out of bicycle storage space.

Likes For VintageSteelEU:
Old 03-10-24, 05:08 PM
Murray Missile 

Bikes: More than there were awhile ago.

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 637 Post(s)
Liked 1,287 Times in 610 Posts
Made some changes to my "knee rehab" bike and put it on Marketplace a little bit ago as I no longer need it, the 1st step in N-1 2024.

Old 03-11-24, 07:20 AM
JaccoW
Overdoing projects

Bikes: Batavus Randonneur GL, Gazelle Orange Excellent, Gazelle Super Licht, Gazelle Grand Tourist, Gazelle Lausanne, Gazelle Tandem, Koga-Miyata SilverAce, Koga-Miyata WorldTraveller

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 784 Post(s)
Liked 1,238 Times in 686 Posts
Did some dynamo light wiring by putting the SON rear light on the Adventure Rack and guiding the coaxial wire through the tubing. I will be soldering on a connector later so it can be easily removed.

Old 03-11-24, 07:40 AM
IdahoBrett 

Bikes: Aluminum and Steel

Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Liked 375 Times in 138 Posts
Bar tape and brake cables on my 1990 ST400. My incremental rehab. I wanted to do a headset service first but couldn’t wait to see how the bike looked.

Likes For IdahoBrett:
Old 03-11-24, 08:08 AM
jdawginsc 
Edumacator

Bikes: '87 Crestdale, '87 Basso Gap, '92 Rossin Performance EL-OS, 1990 VanTuyl, 1980s Losa, 1985 Trek 670, 1982 AD SLE, 1987 PX10, etc...

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 2440 Post(s)
Liked 3,130 Times in 1,969 Posts
Originally Posted by IdahoBrett
Bar tape and brake cables on my 1990 ST400. My incremental rehab. I wanted to do a headset service first but couldn’t wait to see how the bike looked.

I haven’t forgotten about you. Locating the other wheel!
1987 Crest Cannondale, 1987 Basso Gap, 1992 Rossin Performance EL, 1990ish Van Tuyl, 1985 Trek 670, 1982 AD SLE, 2003 Pinarello Surprise, 1990ish MBK Atlantique, 1987 Peugeot Competition, 1987 Nishiki Tri-A, 1981 Faggin, 1996 Cannondale M500, 1984 Mercian, 1982 AD SuperLeicht, 1985 Massi (model unknown), 1988 Daccordi Griffe , 1989 Fauxsin MTB, 1981 Ciocc Mockba, 1992 Bianchi Giro, 1977 Colnago Super

Likes For jdawginsc:
Old 03-11-24, 08:14 AM
IdahoBrett 

Bikes: Aluminum and Steel

Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Liked 375 Times in 138 Posts
Originally Posted by jdawginsc
I haven’t forgotten about you. Locating the other wheel!
No worries! Trying to finish projects to make room for another. Weather isn’t cooperating for painting a stem outdoors….
Old 03-11-24, 02:00 PM
merziac

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Mentioned: 267 Post(s)
Quoted: 4512 Post(s)
Liked 6,387 Times in 3,672 Posts
Originally Posted by JaccoW
Did some dynamo light wiring by putting the SON rear light on the Adventure Rack and guiding the coaxial wire through the tubing. I will be soldering on a connector later so it can be easily removed.

Source of that rack plz?
Old 03-11-24, 05:04 PM
VintageSteelEU

Originally Posted by merziac
Source of that rack plz?
Focus Adventure Rack. I've seen some reviews few years back and wasn't quite sure about this idea.
Old 03-11-24, 05:40 PM
mackgoo

Bikes: 87 Bianchi X4, 95 Bianchi Ti Mega Tube, 06 Alan Carbon Cross X33, Gold plated Columbus AIR Guerciotti, 74 Galmozzi Super Competizione, 52 Bianchi Paris Roubaix.

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 259 Post(s)
Liked 540 Times in 166 Posts
Just finished assembly.

Old 03-11-24, 06:05 PM
Mad Honk 

Bikes: Paramount, Faggin, Ochsner, Ciocc, Basso

Mentioned: 117 Post(s)
Quoted: 1303 Post(s)
Liked 1,912 Times in 1,142 Posts
No bike work today. About three weeks ago I got a hissing noise every time I applied the brake on my old 1995 truck. So I sent it to the guy who normally works on my auto stuff, asking him to find the snake that had gotten under the dash and gets angry when I applied the brakes. The parts were reasonable enough at $125 and the same amount for the "snake wrangling" . The truck came back with a new problem the inner door handle would not open the door, so today I spent a couple of hours pulling the door panel off and replacing a broken handle assembly. Now the old truck is useable again. Second job was from the War Department over a downed tree in the neighbor's yard. So about an hour with the chain saw making burnable log sized lumber pieces. Mebbe tomorrow I can get to the Trek 959 build. Smiles, MH

Last edited by Mad Honk; 03-11-24 at 06:11 PM.
Likes For Mad Honk:
Old 03-11-24, 06:13 PM
VintageSteelEU

Originally Posted by mackgoo
Just finished assembly.

That's a beautiful frame. Subtle elegance, looks almost French, not Italian
Old 03-11-24, 08:39 PM
bikamper
1991 PBP Anciens

I made chips today. The tool was worn and needs to be reground. The spindle speed was also too slow, which accounts for the rough finish. The steps were just eyeballed. Not disappointed.
Likes For bikamper:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.