Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Does campagnono translate to...

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-15, 06:54 PM
flyfisherbob

Bikes: Trek Domane 4.5, Kona Jake, Centurion LeMans RS

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

"I will build things of odd sizes and that need special tools to work on them"? Evidence to date, and I am just beginning. 1. Delta brakes - cable release with a 3.5mm hex, not a 3 or a 4 (yes, the 9/64 worked, but I have made my point) 2. Headset - thanks to the mechanic at Billy Goat bikes, who had the wrench that fit the flats. 3. Freewheel - I have been to 4 different lbs, none of whom have the "special" 2 prong freewheel tool. 4. The seals over the wheel hubs that have the special tool to remove. 5. Axles that require 2 14mm cone wrenches, not 13 or 15, but 14.

GRRRR Bob
Old 07-17-15, 06:59 PM
mtnbke

Bikes: '92 22" Cannondale M2000, '92 Cannondale R1000 Tandem, another modern Canndondale tandem, Two Holy Grail '86 Cannondale ST800s 27" (68.5cm) Touring bike w/Superbe Pro components and Phil Wood hubs. A bunch of other 27" ST frames & bikes.

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 110 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by flyfisherbob
"I will build things of odd sizes and that need special tools to work on them"? Evidence to date, and I am just beginning. 1. Delta brakes - cable release with a 3.5mm hex, not a 3 or a 4 (yes, the 9/64 worked, but I have made my point) 2. Headset - thanks to the mechanic at Billy Goat bikes, who had the wrench that fit the flats. 3. Freewheel - I have been to 4 different lbs, none of whom have the "special" 2 prong freewheel tool. 4. The seals over the wheel hubs that have the special tool to remove. 5. Axles that require 2 14mm cone wrenches, not 13 or 15, but 14.

GRRRR Bob
It's a different 2-prong Freewheel tool than normal, or they just don't have freewheel removal tools?
Old 07-17-15, 07:16 PM
repechage

Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Quoted: 3464 Post(s)
Liked 2,831 Times in 1,997 Posts
Originally Posted by mtnbke
It's a different 2-prong Freewheel tool than normal, or they just don't have freewheel removal tools?
Yes, it is specific and of a neat design, the two prongs slowly twist, basically as you try to remove the freewheel the prongs engage more firmly. A good but unique solution.
As to the other complaints, for a long time the Campagnolo headset wrenches were useful for many vintage headsets, save French.
The cone wrenches used to always come double ended two sizes, don't see a problem there.
The Corsa Record dust shield removing tool was clever, unique and worked, every decent shop in the mid 80's had one.
More elegant than taking dust caps off any other loose ball bearing hub, including the previous Campagnolo offerings.
As to the unique Allen key required for the Delta brake clamp, I agree completely, why not 4 mm or even 5 mm (maybe too much torque could be applied?)

You want awkward unique nobody hardly has tools? Think Mavic ensembles.
Old 07-17-15, 07:21 PM
oddjob2
Still learning

Bikes: Still a garage full

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 847 Post(s)
Liked 66 Times in 44 Posts
Raleigh threading and bolt head size quirks, Campagnolo tool quirks, Swiss quirks, Italian quirks, Schwinn quirks, yet in this forum too many rants about French threading. Too many Sheldon Brown disciples if you ask me!
Old 07-17-15, 07:22 PM
J T CUNNINGHAM

Bikes: '86 AMBROSI / C RECORD. PINARELLO MONTELLO / FRAME, FORK.

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Shouldn't it go without saying: Those Mechanics who know what they are required to do have the Correct Tools,

whereas those "mechanics" who do not know what they are about to perform use "other tools"?

Case in point: (I not knowing whether this still holds true.)

The mechanic has just topped-up your Rolls-Royce's brake cylinder; if he didn't use Girling Brake Fluid,

your hydraulic system has just been destroyed.

An old axiom: "Use the right tools for the job, or go home."

Regards,
J T

Last edited by J T CUNNINGHAM; 07-18-15 at 10:18 AM.
Old 07-17-15, 07:51 PM
miamijim

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 413 Post(s)
Liked 109 Times in 78 Posts
I have that special Campy freewheel tool, freehub pawl retainer, 7mm crank Allen key, 3.5mm Delta wrench and at least 2 of every cone wrench size.

I even gave the ultra rare 6 prong Suntour Microlite freewheel tool.
Old 07-17-15, 08:47 PM
Citoyen du Monde

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked 32 Times in 22 Posts

GRRRR Bob
I have a couple freewheel removers, they are the very best freewheel removers ever made. The headset tools are likely the most commonly used size back in the day and I cannot imagine any even half decent shop not having them. This therefore leaves the 3.5 mm allen key which was supplied with the brakes (I still have a few of them that came with the brakes originallu). Where can the problem be?
Old 07-17-15, 09:41 PM
CroMo Mike 
All Campy All The Time

Bikes: Listed in my signature.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 177 Post(s)
Liked 114 Times in 63 Posts
The C-Record hub bearing dust shields can be easily removed with a gentle twist of an ordinary flat-tipped screwdriver. The beautiful Campy-supplied dust cover removal tool is elegant overkill. You don't need it.
1988 Pinarello Montello, 1990 Masi Nuova Strada Super Record,
1995 Bianchi Campione d'Italia, 1995 DeBernardi Thron

Old 07-17-15, 09:50 PM
J T CUNNINGHAM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
"Where can the problem be?"
Citoyen du Monde.

He forgot the Campy Corkscrew and cheese.

Regards,
J T
Old 07-17-15, 09:57 PM
Soody

Bikes: Gunnar, Shogun, Concorde, F Moser, Pete Tansley, Rocky Mtn, Diamant, Krapf, Marin, Avanti, Winora, Emmelle, Ken Evans

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 275 Post(s)
Liked 417 Times in 218 Posts
I put some wine corks in as bar ends and now i need a campy corkscrew to take them out??? It's cheaper to just get new bars every time.
Old 07-17-15, 10:03 PM
J T CUNNINGHAM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Let me try this again with a small addition:

He forgot the Campy Corkscrew and cheese to go with his wine. [whine]

Regards,
J T
Old 07-18-15, 05:58 AM
Road Fan

Bikes: 1980 Masi, 1984 Mondonico, 1984 Trek 610, 1980 Woodrup Giro, 2005 Mondonico Futura Leggera ELOS, 1967 PX10E, 1971 Peugeot UO-8

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 1858 Post(s)
Liked 664 Times in 506 Posts
Originally Posted by repechage
Yes, it is specific and of a neat design, the two prongs slowly twist, basically as you try to remove the freewheel the prongs engage more firmly. A good but unique solution.
As to the other complaints, for a long time the Campagnolo headset wrenches were useful for many vintage headsets, save French.
The cone wrenches used to always come double ended two sizes, don't see a problem there.
The Corsa Record dust shield removing tool was clever, unique and worked, every decent shop in the mid 80's had one.
More elegant than taking dust caps off any other loose ball bearing hub, including the previous Campagnolo offerings.
As to the unique Allen key required for the Delta brake clamp, I agree completely, why not 4 mm or even 5 mm (maybe too much torque could be applied?)

You want awkward unique nobody hardly has tools? Think Mavic ensembles.
How about the Shimano 600 and DuraAce headsets that used the wavy nut with a special pair of wavy wrenches? I don't know how they price now, but a few years ago the pair of tools was over $100 on Ebay.

Furthermore for the cone wrenches, Park has single-ended ones (more comfort, more leverage) in every millimeter size, at least 13, 14, 15, 16,17.

What I don't get? Use of Torx heads on bicycles. I can see dumping external hex, but what does Torx do that Allen doesn't?
Old 07-18-15, 06:02 AM
Road Fan

Bikes: 1980 Masi, 1984 Mondonico, 1984 Trek 610, 1980 Woodrup Giro, 2005 Mondonico Futura Leggera ELOS, 1967 PX10E, 1971 Peugeot UO-8

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 1858 Post(s)
Liked 664 Times in 506 Posts

GRRRR Bob
How did you get a bike with so many odd Campy parts (C record hubs and freewheels!) with no awareness that they would need servicing.

I totally agree with you on the Deltas. I'd like to try some, however. I tend to like finnicky machines as well(missed out on the Norton Commander and Vincent Black Shadow, however) and usually can tweak them into functionality.

Thing is, now you have the bike, right? You've sunk money into it. You either have to sit on it and not use it, make it work and see if you like it once it can move properly, ride it as-is for whatever condition its in, or sell it and get something more maintainable. What kind of frame is all this good stuff on?
Old 07-18-15, 07:39 AM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3591 Post(s)
Liked 3,401 Times in 1,935 Posts
Originally Posted by mtnbke
Yes, it's different. Instead of straight prongs, they are helical so that the torque of removal drives the tool more firmly into the freewheel, discouraging slipping and stripping the slots. This is the Bicycle Research version of the tool:

Why Campagnolo didn't just use a splined tool like most other freewheel manufacturers were moving to remains a mystery.
Old 07-18-15, 07:46 AM
rootboy 

Quoted: 556 Post(s)
Liked 132 Times in 78 Posts
Campagnolo makes cheese?
Old 07-18-15, 07:54 AM
repechage

Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Quoted: 3464 Post(s)
Liked 2,831 Times in 1,997 Posts
the "Atom" spline, picked up by many over time was a pain until the Phil Wood remover. Atom's version required taking apart some or most of the axle to fit the removing tool. Some hubs were set up so the outer lock nut and spacer was independent of the hub bearing adjustment but many were not, so the Phil tool allowed in most cases for the axle to remain in place. Downside of that tool was the wall thickness. We had a mechanic at the shop who killed off more than one Phil tool where a freewheel was on too tight.

There were other spline patterns and diameters for sure, Campagnolo made the choice as they did to get all to fit. A good system. I think the error was as typical Campagnolo patented it, in this case it might have been better to not and let others copy to make the design more universal. It works quite well.

I have the tool in two versions, one as an insert that fits in the "Regina" style Campagnolo freewheel spanner and the other as a dedicated Campagnolo freewheel spanner. No Campagnolo freewheels, never could put the money down on one as I viewed them as consumables. They were and are finely crafted mechanisms though. (bought the tools with a Campagnolo tool case +, got all the threading options with it save Swiss) A big purchase with no regrets as it is such a pleasure to work with the tools.
Old 07-18-15, 08:04 AM
Homebrew01
Super Moderator

Bikes: Old Steelies I made, Old Cannondales

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1173 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 612 Posts

GRRRR Bob
Do you have the early batch of C-Record headsets with oversized flats ?
Our team got a batch of those, so I put them in a milling machine and cut the flats down to the correct size.

FYI: https://www.bikeforums.net/forum-sugg...ad-please.html
Old 07-18-15, 08:12 AM
OldsCOOL

Bikes: '77 Colnago Super, '76 Fuji The Finest, '88 Cannondale Criterium, '86 Trek 760, '87 Miyata 712

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 659 Post(s)
Liked 595 Times in 313 Posts
Originally Posted by CroMo Mike
The C-Record hub bearing dust shields can be easily removed with a gentle twist of an ordinary flat-tipped screwdriver. The beautiful Campy-supplied dust cover removal tool is elegant overkill. You don't need it.
Those dust covers must be chromed gold for the prices being asked at the Fleabay.
Old 07-18-15, 08:14 AM
OldsCOOL

Bikes: '77 Colnago Super, '76 Fuji The Finest, '88 Cannondale Criterium, '86 Trek 760, '87 Miyata 712

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 659 Post(s)
Liked 595 Times in 313 Posts
Originally Posted by rootboy
Campagnolo makes cheese?
No, but they do cut it now and then.
Old 07-18-15, 08:31 AM
Michael Angelo 

Bikes: Treks (USA), Schwinn Paramount, Schwinn letour,Raleigh Team Professional, Gazelle GoldLine Racing, 2 Super Mondias, Carlton Professional.

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked 30 Times in 22 Posts
All you need are a few tools.

Old 07-18-15, 09:21 AM
J T CUNNINGHAM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
"Campagnolo makes cheese? "
rootboy.

"Let me try this again with a small addition:
He forgot the Campy Corkscrew and cheese to go with his wine. [whine]"

Let me try this again with ANOTHER small addition:

He forgot the Campy Corkscrew and cheese to go with his wine. [WHINE]

As in "Do you want WHINE with that Cheese?"

Wine & Cheese; WHINE & CHEESE.

Now quit your Whining and eat your Cheese!
(And you do now know just what to do with that newly removed Cork!)

Regards,
J T

Last edited by J T CUNNINGHAM; 07-18-15 at 09:26 AM.
Old 07-18-15, 09:37 AM
keidal

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 9 Posts
Reference R-R brake fluid; he should be alright if he used GIRLING brake fluid.
Old 07-18-15, 09:37 AM
rootboy 

Quoted: 556 Post(s)
Liked 132 Times in 78 Posts
Could you be more specific, J.T. ?
Old 07-18-15, 10:15 AM
J T CUNNINGHAM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
"Reference R-R brake fluid; he should be alright if he used GIRLING brake fluid."
keidal.

"The mechanic has just topped-up your Rolls-Royce's brake cylinder; if he didn't use Gerling Brake Fluid "

Error within spellin'; now Korrected on original. (Girling)

Regards,
J T

Last edited by J T CUNNINGHAM; 07-18-15 at 10:28 AM.
Old 07-18-15, 10:25 AM
J T CUNNINGHAM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
"No, but they do cut it now and then. "
OldsCOOL.

Never forget the mustard!
(KEEN'S Mustard.)

Regards,
J T

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.