Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

How often do you break a spoke?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-05, 08:36 AM
turkdc

Bikes: Giant NRS2, C'dale R600

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I do it about once a week! I have had my Cannondale R600 for since the end of last season. In the past two weeks I have broken a spoke twice! My authorized Cannondale retailer says that this is normal and that I am just riding too hard. In reality I am riding on paved roads and I tend to ride very gently.

I am wondering if the problem is that the spokes are not properly tensioned. If this is the case would I be better off having the whole wheel rebuilt or just keep doing it one spoke at a time! I called Cannondale and they told me to talk to my retailer. Sadly he seems more interested in himself to be very concerned with taking care of his customers (unless they are hot chicks with big thingies.)

Any thoughts?
Old 08-01-05, 08:42 AM
smoke
Royal Grand Exalted Pooba

Bikes: Time VXR ProTeam, Look 695, Pinarello Paris Carbon, Ridley Dean, Time ZXRS

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
never
Old 08-01-05, 08:46 AM
KevinF
Keep on climbing

Bikes: 2004 Calfee Tetra Pro

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by turkdc
I do it about once a week! I have had my Cannondale R600 for since the end of last season. In the past two weeks I have broken a spoke twice! My authorized Cannondale retailer says that this is normal and that I am just riding too hard. In reality I am riding on paved roads and I tend to ride very gently.

I am wondering if the problem is that the spokes are not properly tensioned. If this is the case would I be better off having the whole wheel rebuilt or just keep doing it one spoke at a time! I called Cannondale and they told me to talk to my retailer. Sadly he seems more interested in himself to be very concerned with taking care of his customers (unless they are hot chicks with big thingies.)

Any thoughts?
Find somebody who knows more about wheels then your current Cannondale retailer. Properly tensioned wheels should almost never break spokes. This isn't something that you can fix one spoke at a time (i.e., as they break) -- the wheel has to be rebuilt.
Old 08-01-05, 08:54 AM
teamawe

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
20k+ miles on the road, zero broken spokes.
6k+ miles off road, one broken spoke.

KevinE has it right.
Old 08-01-05, 08:57 AM
jsharr
You Know!? For Kids!

Bikes: '05 Trek 1200 / '90 Trek 8000 / '? Falcon Europa

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 20 Posts
I weigh 240 and have not weighed less than 200 since jr. high in the early 80's and have not broken a spoke that I can remember in that time. Wore out the eyelets in a Mavic Titan S rim but never broken a spoke that I can recall, and I used to ride pretty hard. I have never owned high end wheels, only what came on my bikes. I would find a shop with a better wheel builder or try to talk to Cannondale directly about your concerns.

Last edited by jsharr; 08-01-05 at 09:07 AM.
Old 08-01-05, 08:59 AM
Olebiker
Resident Old Fart

Bikes: Douglas Precision Ti

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Fully realizing that posting this will ensure that I start breaking spokes, In 30+ years of riding I have never broken a spoke. I am pretty chunky too.
Old 08-01-05, 09:00 AM
mirona
I can't find my pants

Bikes: 07 Specialized Langster Comp,06 Kona King Zing, 06 Specialized Rockhopper Pro Disc; 03 LOOK KG461;(destroyed by suv); 85 Panasonic Team America; 73 Peugeot U0-8; 94 Balance Super B BMX; 04 Diamondback Outlook MTB, Diamondback DBR DH

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Olebiker
Fully realizing that posting this will ensure that I start breaking spokes, In 30+ years of riding I have never broken a spoke. I am pretty chunky too.
I'm on 20 years and never broke a spoke. That counts all the BMX and mountain biking too
Old 08-01-05, 09:06 AM
bkrownd
kipuka explorer

Bikes: 1994 Trek 820, 2004 Fuji Absolute, 2005 Jamis Nova, 1977 Schwinn Scrambler 36/36

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Riding bikes since 1975 and never a broken spoke.
Old 08-01-05, 09:08 AM
turkdc

Bikes: Giant NRS2, C'dale R600

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I did call Cannondale directly and was slightly dissapointed with the help I got. The 1st woman I talked to kept telling me to take it to the LBS and have the wheel trued. I asked her if it wasn't possible for a wheel to be true, but have spokes that weren't properly tensioned. She said she didn't know anything about tensioning spokes! I got transferred to Mark in tech. He was more helpful and told me that I should have the LBS warranty the wheel. I am going to talk to the LBS guy today and see what he can do. Ideally I can get a new wheel or at least get this one completely rebuilt... That wouldn't be all that bad. I wouldn't mind getting pink nipples instead of the silver colored ones that are currently on the bike...
Old 08-01-05, 10:52 AM
chris hansen

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've only broken a few spokes but my brother has broken more than he can count.
Old 08-01-05, 11:02 AM
my58vw
Meow!

Bikes: Trek 2100 Road Bike, Full DA10, Cervelo P2K TT bike, Full DA10, Giant Boulder Steel Commuter

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
never
Old 08-01-05, 11:33 AM
watchman

Bikes: 2001 Litespeed Vortex - Shimano Ultegra, Jamis Dakar XC- Shimano XT, Diamond Back Axis TT- rigid with drop bars and bar end shifters

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
only on my mtn bikes, never on the road.
Old 08-01-05, 11:41 AM
bg4533

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have never broken a spoke.

turkdc, How much do you weigh?
Unless you are overweight I suggest you find another bikeshop.
Old 08-01-05, 11:51 AM
rangerov

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by turkdc
I did call Cannondale directly and was slightly dissapointed with the help I got. The 1st woman I talked to kept telling me to take it to the LBS and have the wheel trued. I asked her if it wasn't possible for a wheel to be true, but have spokes that weren't properly tensioned. She said she didn't know anything about tensioning spokes! I got transferred to Mark in tech. He was more helpful and told me that I should have the LBS warranty the wheel. I am going to talk to the LBS guy today and see what he can do. Ideally I can get a new wheel or at least get this one completely rebuilt... That wouldn't be all that bad. I wouldn't mind getting pink nipples instead of the silver colored ones that are currently on the bike...
What wheels came in your Cannondale? I
Old 08-01-05, 12:06 PM
hi565
By-Tor...or the Snow Dog?

Bikes: Bianchi Cross Concept, Flyte Srs-3

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
never, ever!

Ive had my wheel come really really out of true. As in one of my spokes was going free, although I have i think a 32 spoke wheel which helps. That may something to consider Get a new wheel built that is a higher spoke count so it is easier to deal with if in case something happenes while your riding.
Old 08-01-05, 12:20 PM
SAB

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The wheel you're describing is indeed completely abnormal! And the wheel can indeed be "true" but have incorrectly tensioned spokes. This would certainly lead to problems, including broken spokes. Occasionally a rim can be so warped that the spokes cannot be properly tensioned. When this happens, it is often time to get a new rim. However, unless you've been in a crash on your new wheels then that shouldn't be the issue. Also, thin aluminum spokes can break more often than steel spokes, due to their inability to handle tensile forces as well. The really thick/wide aluminum spokes featured on some Mavic wheels are a bit better. Another factor is the number of spokes. A wheel built with fewer spokes (say 12, 16, 24, etc...) will require that those spokes each have a much higher tension. So if you're a big guy, have very lightweight wheels with relatively few spokes and are riding fast over rough roads you will definitely break spokes, even if the wheel is built properly! Most wheels built with an eye towards durability will have more spokes, say 28, 32, 36, or 42, and they'll be made out of stainless steel spokes attached to brass alloy nipples. I have a friend who rides a touring bike with wheels built of straight 14 gauge stainless spokes on 42-hole rims built in a 3x pattern. He has never had to even true his wheels in > 10 years!
Old 08-01-05, 12:23 PM
Grasschopper
He drop me

Bikes: '03 Marin Mill Valley, '02 Eddy Merckx Corsa 0.1, '12 Giant Defy Advance, '20 Giant Revolt 1, '20 Giant Defy Advanced Pro 1, some random 6KU fixie

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 138 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 9 Posts
You have the Gipiemme T3 wheels right? How much do you weigh? I am a big fan of ditching low spoke count wheels if at all possible. That said in the last year I have broken 1 spoke and it was on a 32 spoke 3x laced wheel but it was a machine built wheel ( I bet yours are as well) that I got off of eBay so the build is suspect. I was also towing 70 lbs behind me (trailer bike) and I weigh 218 lbs. Other than that spoke I have never broken a spoke, even back in the late 80s early 90s when I was racing MTBs in HS.
Old 08-01-05, 12:45 PM
plin

Bikes: Decathlon 9.2, Peugeot

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have 36 spoke wheels for both front and rear. One broken spoke in 4 years and I never even had to true them before despite the paved roads (there are lots of them where I live). I am 75kg for 1m83.

There is nothing like bomb proof wheels to start having confidence in your bike.
Old 08-01-05, 12:59 PM
steve_wmn

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I broke 2 spokes on a newly bought bike 20 years ago. The LBS gave me a new wheel and my problem was solved. Other than that, never. So, like others have said, I'd say your wheel is bad and you need to be more assertive with your bike shop.
Old 08-01-05, 02:23 PM
recursive
Geosynchronous Falconeer

Bikes: 2006 Raleigh Rush Hour, Campy Habanero Team Ti, Soma Double Cross

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
~7000 miles on the road.

0 broken spokes.
Old 08-01-05, 02:31 PM
bike756
Hair Free

Bikes: specialized allez with misc. upgrades,commuter mtb

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I broke three spokes in a month once, and it never happened again.
Old 08-01-05, 02:34 PM
SoonerBent
<><

Bikes: RANS Tailwind

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
never
Old 08-01-05, 02:50 PM
webist
Huachuca Rider

Bikes: Fuji CCR1, Specialized Roubaix

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Never broke a spoke.
Old 08-01-05, 04:18 PM
meme
Buddha Khan

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've never broken a spoke...well...except for that time (a long time ago) I crashed on a cheap MTB and tacoed the front wheel...
Old 08-01-05, 05:00 PM
Matt Gaunt

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Never broken a spoke on MTB or on roadie but this is my thought:
- either you have poorly tensioned wheels (which surely they checked if you come back every week with another spoke gone?)
- or the spokes they are using are crap.

I prefer the latter as it involves a very easy and cheap solution. Go and buy some DT Swiss spokes and re-lace the wheels. This will cost you around $50 I guess including labour if you're not gonna do it yourself. The spokes cost around $30ish.

If it's the former then you really need to move LBS because that is not acceptable.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.