Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Floor Pump Help?!

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Floor Pump Help?!

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-05, 04:56 PM
af2nr
Ride First, Work Later!!!

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Trek Superfly, Raleigh Rush Hour

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Floor Pump Help?!

I have been looking at floor pumps for the past few days. Well yesterday I went to ride and my front tire was low. Of course there are no shops open here on Sundays. So I had to go to Wally world and ended up getting a Bell "The Judge" with gauge for $15. I thought this would work for now at least, if not take it back. Well it aired the tire up, but it was a pain in the *** to say the least. I am 170 and I would have to lean on it to get it "almost" all the way down. Also the gauge never read over 80 psi, pump is supposedly rated to 160. Should I take it back and get something better or is this normal for floor pumps? TIA!
Old 08-01-05, 05:03 PM
Matt Gaunt

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I bought a BBB stand pump - around £30. Very simple and effortless to use. Takes less than a minute to inflate both tires from 80 to 110psi. Gauge is spot on too.
Old 08-01-05, 05:05 PM
TheKillerPenguin
Nonsense

Bikes: Affirmative

Quoted: 880 Post(s)
Liked 541 Times in 237 Posts
Floor pumps can take a while to get used to. When I got mine, I thought it was super hard to use...and I was only pumping up mtn. bike tires to 60psi. You'll get used to it.

And it sounds like you might not have the pump's nozzle far enough down on the tube's valve. press the nozzle down on the valve harder the next time you go to use it. I'd be more precise but it might sound dirty
Old 08-01-05, 05:24 PM
af2nr

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by PenguinDeD
And it sounds like you might not have the pump's nozzle far enough down on the tube's valve. press the nozzle down on the valve harder the next time you go to use it. I'd be more precise but it might sound dirty
I thought this too but the Presta adapter actually screws onto the stem and then the pump goes on like a Schraeder. You may be right though as it sounded like there was air coming out of the pump into the air while airing the tire. I will go give this a try and see if its operator error...
Old 08-01-05, 05:28 PM
Steelrider

Bikes: Albert Eisentraut custom w/DA, Kestrel RT 700 w/Ultegra, Jamis Tangier

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by af2nr
I thought this too but the Presta adapter actually screws onto the stem and then the pump goes on like a Schraeder. You may be right though as it sounded like there was air coming out of the pump into the air while airing the tire. I will go give this a try and see if its operator error...
You might also try tapping the presta valve before screwing on the adapter to "break the seal". Often, if you don't do this, you can't get the plunger down and the pressure just builds in the hose. Anyway, see if this makes a diff. Good luck.
Old 08-01-05, 06:24 PM
af2nr

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
OK I tried both of these options and neither worked?! I think I am just going to go to the LBS or through Performance and get one. I even tried to push it all the way down and it wasn't happening, still no reading above 80 psi with me literally laying on the pump and it still wasn't down...
Old 08-01-05, 07:38 PM
dfw
Stercus accidit

Bikes: Trek Pilot 2.1

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It shouldn't be that hard to use. Take it back to China-Mart and get your money back.

Park tool PFP-3

$26.95 shipped. One of the other BF members said he ordered from this guy with no problems.
Old 08-01-05, 09:42 PM
H2OChick
One day at a time

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Definitely take it back. I'm a small woman (albeit a strong one) and I can get my tires to 100 (or even over) without much effort. Plus that whole presta adapter thing sounds like a pain. Mine is some sort of "smart valve" that can take Presta or Schraeder without me having to do anything. I got it at Performance, on sale for $40, I think. It's great.
Old 08-01-05, 10:43 PM
mrchristian
Me.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
yeah...cheap pumps suck. I got sick of dealing with mine and bought a serfas FP50. For a cheap $20 pump it sure is awesome. Its what they had at my LBS anyway... gets to 120psi in like 10 pumps. I'd definately buy a new one.

Last edited by mrchristian; 08-03-05 at 04:48 PM.
Old 08-01-05, 11:31 PM
allgoo19
Deported by koffee

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
So I had to go to Wally world and ended up getting a Bell "The Judge" with gauge for $15.
That's the same price I paid for this Nashbar Blue Pump. I paid the shippment, so it cost a little more than your Mart pump.

I have used the pump for about three years without any problem. It pumps to 130 psi easily and it can go higher but I'm afraid it'll hurt the rim or tire.
Old 08-02-05, 12:00 AM
SquatchCO
Freak of Nature

Bikes: '05 Fuji Roubaix

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I can say, with absolute confidence, that you should get the specialized airtool pro. it retails at $60, and it is AWESOME. it's shop grade all the way, best pump i've ever seen, and worth every dime. it also has a "smart head" that automatically adjusts to presta and schrader. not to mention that it seals fantastically well, easy on easy off, and has a built-in gauge (should be standard, i know, but that's not always the case).
Old 08-02-05, 07:03 AM
af2nr

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for all the input! The pump is going back to Wally world today and I am going to see what my local shop has first and then if I have to I will order online.
Old 08-02-05, 07:45 AM
brooklyner
Urban Biker

Bikes: LeMond Sarthe (2005), Cannondale Bad Boy (2001)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Steelrider
You might also try tapping the presta valve before screwing on the adapter to "break the seal". Often, if you don't do this, you can't get the plunger down and the pressure just builds in the hose. Anyway, see if this makes a diff. Good luck.
i have been persistently having this problem with one of my tubes. i have to tap the valve and adjust the pump numerous times before the seal finally pops and i can pump. seriously annoying. just a dud valve or any other tips?
Old 08-02-05, 07:52 AM
Cornbread
Yankees Suck

Bikes: Trek 1000

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
For what it's worth, I have that exact same pump and the first couple of times didn't work out for me either. However, I went back and made sure the adapter was on very tight and then gave the valve a tap as suggested. Then I made sure that I was putting the pump nozzle on all the way before clamping it down. Since I figured it out I have had no issues at all with the pump, I use it before every ride. Every once in a while I don't get the pump nozzle clamped on right and it is impossible to pump up like you described. I take it off and re-attach and it works fine. However, if you get a new pump I can't fault ya.
Old 08-02-05, 07:59 AM
af2nr

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yeah I have found that I can get a new pump for basically the same price. I have tried all of those tips and none seem to work, for me at least. I'm not really keen on the adapter they use either since my wife will also be using this pump, need something a little more user friendly...
Old 08-02-05, 01:34 PM
Steelrider

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by brooklyner
i have been persistently having this problem with one of my tubes. i have to tap the valve and adjust the pump numerous times before the seal finally pops and i can pump. seriously annoying. just a dud valve or any other tips?
Hopefully you don't have to let out any serious pressure just to top it off, but if your pump doesn't generate enough serious pressure-per-pump this could be a problem. Most of the time, when I pump the first stroke, I take the handle all the way to the top and give it a big/fast push down (make sure your motion is smooth and not hurried/jerky), I can actually hear the valve pop down from the pressure to accept the air. Usually, when I tap I might lose 10 or so lbs., sometimes less, but then it's just getting back to +-120 from 95-110. You need to have a really good pump head to do this though (and have the drill down), or the connection will not be reliably airtight enough to make it an easy operation.

I used to have an old Silca Track Pump, which has replaceable parts and would have lasted forever (I actually still have it), but I never really liked the chuck/seal and got a Joe Blow Pro as a gift a few years ago and really like it. I'm sure there are lots of great floor pumps out there, as some were suggesting in this thread, so I'm not saying it's the "be all, end all" but when the pump head died not that long ago, Topeak got a new/upgraded one to me in the mail immediately, so they get an "A" for customer service.

Last edited by Steelrider; 08-02-05 at 01:41 PM.
Old 08-02-05, 02:47 PM
RhumbRunner

Bikes: Sampson TI, Giant CFR-1

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hopefully you don't have to let out any serious pressure just to top it off, but if your pump doesn't generate enough serious pressure-per-pump this could be a problem. Most of the time, when I pump the first stroke, I take the handle all the way to the top and give it a big/fast push down (make sure your motion is smooth and not hurried/jerky), I can actually hear the valve pop down from the pressure to accept the air. Usually, when I tap I might lose 10 or so lbs., sometimes less, but then it's just getting back to +-120 from 95-110. You need to have a really good pump head to do this though (and have the drill down), or the connection will not be reliably airtight enough to make it an easy operation.

I used to have an old Silca Track Pump, which has replaceable parts and would have lasted forever (I actually still have it), but I never really liked the chuck/seal and got a Joe Blow Pro as a gift a few years ago and really like it. I'm sure there are lots of great floor pumps out there, as some were suggesting in this thread, so I'm not saying it's the "be all, end all" but when the pump head died not that long ago, Topeak got a new/upgraded one to me in the mail immediately, so they get an "A" for customer service.
Interesting post....here's what I do. I flip the switch on the electric pump and about 5 PSI over my desired pressure, I pop the lock lever to disconnect the pump.

Are some of you stuck in the 18th century because you're stubborn or stupid?

Rhumb

Last edited by RhumbRunner; 08-02-05 at 02:53 PM.
Old 08-02-05, 04:28 PM
Steelrider

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by RhumbRunner
Interesting post....here's what I do. I flip the switch on the electric pump and about 5 PSI over my desired pressure, I pop the lock lever to disconnect the pump.

Are some of you stuck in the 18th century because you're stubborn or stupid?
Yep, I have a compressor, but use it mainly for the heavier air-tool jobs that it was intended for. Doubt you take your electric pump to any organized rides, races or rides away from home, so you'd have to figure out how to use a pump sometime (many let some pressure out of their tires if it's gonna be in the sun/heat for awhile). Besides, it's so easy to do at this point, for me and many others, that doing anything else would be more hassle. What kind of electric pump do you use? Most I've seen have been too slow/wimpy for bikes.

You might also want to ease off on the "stubborn or stupid" questions before others assume you have alot of experience with both.
Old 08-02-05, 05:09 PM
veneer
What's your Fetish, eh?

Bikes: 2

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Performance Ascent (Red) floor pump. The best $19.99 investment ever made.
Old 08-02-05, 05:21 PM
af2nr

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by veneer
Performance Ascent (Red) floor pump. The best $19.99 investment ever made.
Yeah that is what I am leaning too now...Checked the LBS's today and the cheapest they had was $30 plus tax! Doesn't seem like a good idea compared to the Ascent and the fact I get 2nd day upgrade and still save money?!
Old 08-02-05, 06:17 PM
mrballistic
Boo-ya!

Bikes: Handbuilt steel with Ultegra10/FSA parts; a fully customized Bianchi Pista with phil hubs, carbon fork, king headset, etc. it's tough.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
take it back.... i got the performance team floor pump, and it's amazing. i can go from zero to 125psi in under 20 seconds. probably faster.
Old 08-02-05, 06:26 PM
RhumbRunner

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yep, I have a compressor, but use it mainly for the heavier air-tool jobs that it was intended for. Doubt you take your electric pump to any organized rides, races or rides away from home, so you'd have to figure out how to use a pump sometime (many let some pressure out of their tires if it's gonna be in the sun/heat for awhile). Besides, it's so easy to do at this point, for me and many others, that doing anything else would be more hassle. What kind of electric pump do you use? Most I've seen have been too slow/wimpy for bikes.

You might also want to ease off on the "stubborn or stupid" questions before others assume you have alot of experience with both.
My electric plugs into the cigarette lighter in the van and will pump up to a guage reading of 150 PSI. It's available at Wally World for about $12 to $14. It has gone to weekend rides, Sebring, Mount Dora, The Hilly Hundred in Dade City and even been as far as to Show Low, Arizona. Both, 12 V and 115V, are Campbell Hausfeld.

I've changed "some" flats on the road...in '96 I road (rode ) a touch over 10,000 miles and dropped off to 7000 in '97. Road flats are taken care of by a Co2 cartridge and a new well talced tube. My tires are ALWAYS mounted so the tire label and the valve stem are lined up on the left (port) side of the bike.

My normal daily ride was 40 to 50 miles and on 1/1/97 I did a century in 4:59 ride time/5:30 elapsed with five friends (they pulled most of it).

Well, there are my "bona fides". I apologize if my "stubborn or stupid" comment was taken other than with a bit of tounge in cheek.

I'm a little sorry that I find this forum to be "slightly" clicquey. I know many of you have been here for a few years and have been inundated with people who who may never get closer to a decent road bike than talking about it on the BFs.

I'll continue to post what I think is helpful to experienced riders as well as "noobs". I apologize if your sense of humor lies between your chamois and..... I would hope that you and I, plus all of the other "regulars" here might become friends online. Should you come down to do the "Toure de Cape" in late February, I'd be happy to meet any and all.

I only hope that I can get back to riding decently, if not as well as I used to.

Rhumb
Old 08-02-05, 07:29 PM
Steelrider

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hey, welcome. No issues here. Was wondering how long you've had it and how fast your electric tops off when you need it. The only electric that I've ever used on my car belonged to a friend and it was slower than sin. On the other hand, it was greater volume (car tire) and was pretty low, although only needed to get up to 40lbs. Do you still have to break the valve seal when you use the electric?

Sounds like you've put in a fair number of miles...what made you pick up again, or is your mileage just as consistent, but not as high? Also, I actually do have a sense of humor (I'll dig around near my chamois and look for it - sorry, bad imagery ), I just didn't have any context for you and wanted to suggest that it wasn't the "Dale Carnegie method" to win friends and influence people. But, s'pose that's the problem with posting online - can't see that damn tongue in the damn cheek for anything. I either post or at least lurk most days unless traveling. It's been pretty helpful and friendly in general, but seems like a lot of troll activity recently. In any event, keep posting as it sounds like you have a lot to add.
Old 08-02-05, 08:35 PM
RhumbRunner

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hey, welcome. No issues here. Was wondering how long you've had it and how fast your electric tops off when you need it. The only electric that I've ever used on my car belonged to a friend and it was slower than sin. On the other hand, it was greater volume (car tire) and was pretty low, although only needed to get up to 40lbs. Do you still have to break the valve seal when you use the electric?

Sounds like you've put in a fair number of miles...what made you pick up again, or is your mileage just as consistent, but not as high? Also, I actually do have a sense of humor (I'll dig around near my chamois and look for it - sorry, bad imagery ), I just didn't have any context for you and wanted to suggest that it wasn't the "Dale Carnegie method" to win friends and influence people. But, s'pose that's the problem with posting online - can't see that damn tongue in the damn cheek for anything. I either post or at least lurk most days unless traveling. It's been pretty helpful and friendly in general, but seems like a lot of troll activity recently. In any event, keep posting as it sounds like you have a lot to add.
Steel, I most definately understand the "lurking" mode, seems sometimes no matter what you say, it's wrong....but that's the internet and I understand it. I wish we could all meet for the first time at the start of a Sunday morning 40 or so ride on "perfect" roads!!

The Campbell Hausfeld that I used for rides was bought at WW for under $15, with guage and would take my 700x20 Continental SuperSport Ultras from 90/100 to 150 in about a minute. I carried my bike in the back of a Grand Caravan and always had the pump plugged in, and shared it with everyone who needed air. I finally decided that I wasn't such a great rider that I would notice adapters on my tires, so I always have two presta/schrader adapters on my bike.

Maybe I should explain why I might appear a little "short" sometimes. First comes the concept of airline pilot and the realization that there is only one "right way" to do something. I may not have it, but I'm really close. Why? Because in '87 I crashed a motercycle and resultant injuries have given me two choices....find the most efficient way to ride, or don't ride. Oh, I don't mean the average rider, I mean the guy with less than two full feet and the guy with an arm or two f*****up.

I'd feel sorry for myself, maybe, but for the day in Sebring that we (5 or 6 friends) were cruising on the flats and came up on a guy pedaling a three wheel hand powered bike. We had a good group and slowed enough (maybe 1/2 MPH) to pick him up. We rode with him for quite a while, discussing his "grouppo", his frame, his wheels, his arm strength (no legs), his rides and his accomplishments. We saw him at the end of the ride....he finished. We were all bike riders, nothing less, nothing more.

Hope I didn't offend you.

Rhumb
Old 08-03-05, 04:01 PM
veneer
What's your Fetish, eh?

Bikes: 2

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yeah that is what I am leaning too now...Checked the LBS's today and the cheapest they had was $30 plus tax! Doesn't seem like a good idea compared to the Ascent and the fact I get 2nd day upgrade and still save money?!
just wait for their sale. normally the red one goes on sale for $19.99. that's when i snatched up mine.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.