Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Ultegra- time to upgrade?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-05, 09:32 PM
novumcollegium
Rockstar

Bikes: Lemond Nevada City

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

My entry-level Lemond Nevada City came with entry-level Sora components. I've had the bike for several years and it has been a great introductory bike. Lately I've had a bit of trouble with the components- especially with the rear derailleur/cassette, which has the tendency to skip gears or shift during a sprint/climb- the trouble has persisted beyond adjusting the cable tension and a general tune-up at my LBS. As of late, I don't have plans to race, although it's not entirely impossible I suppose. I think a majority of my riding will group rides and distance when I'm out solo. Would an upgrade to Ultegra be unnecessary outside of the race circuit?
Old 08-02-05, 06:25 AM
bike756
Hair Free

Bikes: specialized allez with misc. upgrades,commuter mtb

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If your planning to upgrade the whole bike to ultegra, you might as well just buy a new bike. it wouldnt be all that much more expensive
Old 08-02-05, 06:31 AM
corny

Bikes: Cannondale R1000 Compact Drive '05

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If you went up to 105, the difference is worthwhile yet not too good for the frame - replace only as necessary and save yourself a few quid.
Old 08-02-05, 06:41 AM
sydney

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by novumcollegium
Lately I've had a bit of trouble with the components- especially with the rear derailleur/cassette, which has the tendency to skip gears or shift during a sprint/climb- the trouble has persisted beyond adjusting the cable tension and a general tune-up at my LBS.
Anyone considered a worrn chain/cassette?
Old 08-02-05, 01:49 PM
Steelrider

Bikes: Albert Eisentraut custom w/DA, Kestrel RT 700 w/Ultegra, Jamis Tangier

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by sydney
Anyone considered a worrn chain/cassette?
sydney is pretty much right on. However, it wasn't clear if you've done/know how to do any self-adjustment of your rd using the barrel adjuster. I've noticed that with brifters, just removing the rear wheel might make some adjustment with the barrel adjust necessary. Adjustment on the stand in the shop is not the same as adjustment under load. If you have done this and you still have the same problem, then the chain/cassette is the likely culprit.

Last edited by Steelrider; 08-02-05 at 02:03 PM.
Old 08-02-05, 02:16 PM
operator
cab horn

Bikes: 1987 Bianchi Campione

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 19 Posts
Oh please. Skipping/autoshifting is a worn chain/cassette and derailleur adjustment.
It has nothing to do with having sora. You'd have the same problems with ultegra or dura ace or any other gruppo for that matter.