Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Buy an uber bike or wait?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-05, 05:38 AM
Grasschopper
He drop me

Bikes: '03 Marin Mill Valley, '02 Eddy Merckx Corsa 0.1, '12 Giant Defy Advance, '20 Giant Revolt 1, '20 Giant Defy Advanced Pro 1, some random 6KU fixie

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 138 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 9 Posts

Ok so I made a post last week about the quality of the Opera Leonardo. I have an oppertunity to get one WAY below retail and probably below dealer cost. Frame is new...the right size...and pretty fking sexy. Do I need this uber ride? No. Would it be nice to have? Sure. Would I be able to ride it any time soon? No. This is a frame and I would probably put it together over the next year and a half, depending on how I decide to outfit it (for sure this will be Campy Record).

So do I pull the trigger? Or should I just wait because by the time I have the funds to fully build this thing up there will be something newer and better? I am torn and looking for help.

Thanks.

Old 08-04-05, 05:59 AM
KirkeIsWaiting
the dog ate my earbuds

Bikes: Colnago CT-1 B-stay Campy Carbon Record, '05 Litespeed Siena Campy, Bridgestone X03 , Peugeot dream bike gets FIXED, Waterford Campy Record Colbalto, Motobecane Tandem in perfect condition, A Belgium made Bertin that was sent by an angel

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yes.
Always buy today for tomorows needs.
Old 08-04-05, 06:01 AM
simplyred
Lanterne Rouge

Bikes: Time VX Edge

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Depends how much you like the frame.
Yes, it's cheap... but would you rank it in your top 5 frames [money NOTwidthstanding]?
If it is... get it...
If not, forget it..

Good Luck Dude,
-Peter
Old 08-04-05, 06:06 AM
As You Like It
Enthusiasm on Wheels

Bikes: 1953 Schwinn Debutante, 1971 Hercules 3-speed, 1973 Schwinn Suburban, 1990 Huffy White River, 1990-something Bianchi Advantage, 1996 Trek 800

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If you're getting a killer deal on it, and you already have something to ride around in the interim, then I can't see any reason why not to buy the frame you want, and build up your bike around it gradually. I know a great many people who have done that very thing, and ultimately, a year or two later, end up with exactly the bike they wanted. Your plan sounds like it would yeild a really sweet bike, so why not?

Besides, just because there may be something "newer and better" by the time you get this bike stuck together doesn't mean that the new-improved stuff is going to be significantly different or better than what you're currently aiming for. A lot of year-by-year changes on stuff is pretty insignificant, and you really need to wait for a few years before anything's really obsolete. Plus, the obsolescence is a relative thing, and you might get just as good results out of supposedly "obsolete" parts depending on your riding style and other factors of your setup.

There's also always the consideration that you can ride for a few years on whatever running gear you stick on this frame, then upgrade if/when it seems appropriate.
Old 08-04-05, 06:07 AM
Grasschopper
He drop me

Bikes: '03 Marin Mill Valley, '02 Eddy Merckx Corsa 0.1, '12 Giant Defy Advance, '20 Giant Revolt 1, '20 Giant Defy Advanced Pro 1, some random 6KU fixie

Originally Posted by simplyred
Depends how much you like the frame.
Yes, it's cheap... but would you rank it in your top 5 frames [money NOTwidthstanding]?
If it is... get it...
If not, forget it..

Good Luck Dude,
-Peter
It is up there. Of the bikes I wish I could afford, the Pinarello Paris, Colnago C50, Merckx Team SC, this Opera...all bike I couldn't afford....well this frame is new and 60% off the MSRP.
Old 08-04-05, 06:25 AM
biker7

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I presume you have studied the angles of the frame John. It wouldn't work for me because the frame geometry is longer than it is tall for a more aggressive road geometry. You may like this geometry but before you pull the trigger, read what CC has to say about it. Unless this is your dream frame, also consider resale of any high end frame or bike component you buy. You can get your money back out of just about any bike stuff you buy if you buy right. The reason for a smoking deal on this frame is the name doesn't have the cache the others have you mentioned. At 60% off, it may be the frame you want and you maybe able to get your money back out if you are not completely happy with it. At the end of the day, all the high end stuff is nice, so consider resale as part of your buying decision.
Here is CC's comments with geometry chart:
https://www.competitivecyclist.com/za...&PRODUCT.ID=99
Good Luck,
George
Old 08-04-05, 06:33 AM
cydewaze
Emondafied

Bikes: See sig

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If it's a 56cm, I think you should get it and trade me for my OCLV frame.

The geometry on the 56cm Opera is perfect for me. :drool:

my bike page - my journal
Current Stable: Trek Emonda SL - Trek Top Fuel 8 - Scattante XRL - Jamis Dakar Expert - Trek 9700 - AlpineStars Al Mega
Old 08-04-05, 06:41 AM
gcasillo
Maglia Ciclamino

Bikes: Bianchi Aria, Bianchi Volpe

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I would not shoo anyone away from a frame just because they do not need it, especially if you can afford it. But I'll offer this opinion about this frame and similar Alu/Carbon or all aluminum frames:

Don't overpay.

More specifically, for the price I'm seeing some aluminum/carbon or all aluminum frames go, you could spend a few dollars (couple dozen to a couple hundred) for an all carbon rig. Aluminum has its place. For cheaper training/backup bikes or a light, stiff, and "lively" ride for racing. If you hold out for carbon for your "uberbike," you'll love it more, I think. CF just makes for a better ride. And it's as light, stiff, and sexy as any Alu frame you find.

In short, don't pay an uberbike price for a bike that isn't an uberbike. That said, the Leonardo above is sweet. You have good taste, amigo.
Old 08-04-05, 06:41 AM
Grasschopper
He drop me

Hi George - yea I have been to that site many times. I like the angles but the comment of the dropped top tube are a slight concern.

Here is the Opera:
Seat Tube (c-c) Top Tube Seat Angle Head Tube Length Chainstay Head Angle
55 56 73.5° 160 40.7 72.5°

Here is my Salsa:
Seat Tube Top Tube Seat Tube Angle Head Tube Length Chainstay Head Tube Angle
56 56 73.5° 137 40.9 73°

Edit: So the head tube is actually a little longer and half a deg more slack. Chainstay is 2mm shorter.
Price is $1400
Old 08-04-05, 06:58 AM
Grasschopper
He drop me

Oh and this would be an easier decision if someone would buy my SS MTB. New price of $250 shipped.
Old 08-04-05, 07:24 AM
cydewaze
Emondafied

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ok, looking a the pic of the bike, I'm confused. Is it full carbon, or something else with carbon stays? The pic makes it look like the latter.

Current Stable: Trek Emonda SL - Trek Top Fuel 8 - Scattante XRL - Jamis Dakar Expert - Trek 9700 - AlpineStars Al Mega
Old 08-04-05, 07:25 AM
TexasGuy
That darn Yankee

Bikes: Mongoose XR-100, Eros Bianchi

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by As You Like It
If you're getting a killer deal on it, and you already have something to ride around in the interim, then I can't see any reason why not to buy the frame you want, and build up your bike around it gradually. I know a great many people who have done that very thing, and ultimately, a year or two later, end up with exactly the bike they wanted. Your plan sounds like it would yeild a really sweet bike, so why not?

Besides, just because there may be something "newer and better" by the time you get this bike stuck together doesn't mean that the new-improved stuff is going to be significantly different or better than what you're currently aiming for. A lot of year-by-year changes on stuff is pretty insignificant, and you really need to wait for a few years before anything's really obsolete. Plus, the obsolescence is a relative thing, and you might get just as good results out of supposedly "obsolete" parts depending on your riding style and other factors of your setup.

There's also always the consideration that you can ride for a few years on whatever running gear you stick on this frame, then upgrade if/when it seems appropriate.

but with 1-2 year old outdated technology
Old 08-04-05, 07:30 AM
sydney

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Grasschopper
This is a frame and I would probably put it together over the next year and a half, depending on how I decide to outfit it (for sure this will be Campy Record).

I am torn and looking for help.
Do you think you need Record because you are so good or just like to spend money and need the bling or poser' points? Help might be as close as a few therapy sessions. Sorry if this sounds harsh, but sydney is out of sunshine to blow today.
Old 08-04-05, 07:33 AM
Grasschopper
He drop me

Originally Posted by cydewaze
Ok, looking a the pic of the bike, I'm confused. Is it full carbon, or something else with carbon stays? The pic makes it look like the latter.
Yea I was a bit confused by that myself at first but I am pretty sure (99%) that the seat stay, top tube, seat tube and down tube are CF with the chainstay and BB, head tube and top of the seat tube are all AL lugs. Sort of like a C'Dale 6-13. Fork is all CF with AL dropouts. Fork, HS, and CF seatpost all come with the frame.
Old 08-04-05, 07:38 AM
Grasschopper
He drop me

Originally Posted by sydney
Do you think you need Record because you are so good or just like to spend money and need the bling or poser' points? Help might be as close as a few therapy sessions. Sorry if this sounds harsh, but sydney is out of sunshine to blow today.
Does anyone need a Ferrari? A Porsche? A Suzuki Hayabusa 1300R Limited? The answer is no. No I don't need Record but if I am going to buy a Italian from with a MSRP of $3300 I am not going to hang Sora on it. If I am going to build an uber bike...it is going to be an uber bike and have THE uber group with uber wheels and all of the uber gadgets. Feel free to go bother someone else.
Old 08-04-05, 07:47 AM
cydewaze
Emondafied

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Do you think you need Record because you are so good or just like to spend money and need the bling or poser' points? Help might be as close as a few therapy sessions.
There's a difference between "need" and "want". It's chopper's money, and if he wants to spend a little money on his passion of cycling, who are any of us to say otherwise? I certainly don't "need" Dura-Ace, but I have it anyway. I don't "need" a 400+ hp car, but I have one anyway. It's my choice.

Sorry if this sounds harsh, but sydney is out of sunshine to blow today.
How does that differ from any other day?

You know your stuff, and I enjoy reading most of your posts, even though you seem to take pride in being a bit antagonistic. Sometimes it's warranted, but it's probably better saved for the clueless.

Old 08-04-05, 07:53 AM
55/Rad
Former Hoarder

Bikes: Seven Axiom, Felt Z1, Dave Moulton Fuso

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
While there is an element of frustration waiting so long to get the bike completed, (mine's on month 13) there is the satisfaction of knowing you are doing what you want and getting it done right. As long as you have something else to ride, go for it.

The one piece of advice I'd give is to wait as long as possible on the "unique and special" CF or Ti components, if you plan to have any. Specifically, bars, wheels, pedals and stems. I bought mine a year ago and so many great things have come out since then that I constantly question whether I should sell the ones I have and start over. Campy Record gear will be the same a year from now but these things seem to be changing daily.

55/Rad

Last edited by 55/Rad; 08-04-05 at 08:08 AM.
Old 08-04-05, 07:54 AM
jslopez
Zen Cyclist

Bikes: Orbea Orca Campified...

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Don't buy it.....

aww who am I kidding this is the bike forums, ofcourse people will tell you to buy it you silly goose.
Old 08-04-05, 08:06 AM
weak

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If you want my vote I say get it. A $3300 frame for $1600 is a pretty good deal. I doubt there is going to be $1700 worth of improvments to the frame in the next year or two. Personally I don't know that much about the frame but if it rates as high as you say on your list I take it.
Old 08-04-05, 08:10 AM
biker7

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi George - yea I have been to that site many times. I like the angles but the comment of the dropped top tube are a slight concern.

Here is the Opera:
Seat Tube (c-c) Top Tube Seat Angle Head Tube Length Chainstay Head Angle
55 56 73.5° 160 40.7 72.5°

Here is my Salsa:
Seat Tube Top Tube Seat Tube Angle Head Tube Length Chainstay Head Tube Angle
56 56 73.5° 137 40.9 73°

Edit: So the head tube is actually a little longer and half a deg more slack. Chainstay is 2mm shorter.
Price is $1400
Frame angles line up for you...the most important thing. Listen to Rad's advice as well. I have built a fair amount of custom car's and bikes and have most of it out of my system but at the end of the day, go with your heart if no financial threat to your family's well being. No question there is a big alure to building an exotic bike. Completely understand...high end wheels, gruppo everything...very cool. I would much rather build a bike than buy one...because you can precisely choose the components you want and not settle and take your time. It may be cheaper in the long run however...maybe, maybe not without a time horizon....to find a high end carbon framed, Record equipped bike with a wheelset you like and just buy it....course that's no fun
Enjoy the journey bro and keep us posted.
George
Old 08-04-05, 08:24 AM
sydney

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by weak
If you want my vote I say get it. A $3300 frame for $1600 is a pretty good deal.
That $3300 is just BS.It's about like the imaginaryy 'list' price many internet marketers hang on their stuff as sucker bait. Maybe the clueless would pay that for it. Anyone else would wait for a closeout or clearance deal.
Old 08-04-05, 08:29 AM
Grasschopper
He drop me

That $3300 is just BS.It's about like the imaginaryy 'list' price many internet marketers hang on their stuff as sucker bait. Maybe the clueless would pay that for it. Anyone else would wait for a closeout or clearance deal.
Right and the closeout clearance deals are going on right now. You can get this frame set a lot of places for $2300. So we are still talking about 40% off of the closeout, sale prices.
Old 08-04-05, 08:33 AM
cydewaze
Emondafied

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Right and the closeout clearance deals are going on right now. You can get this frame set a lot of places for $2300. So we are still talking about 40% off of the closeout, sale prices.
I see you ignored my suggestion to buy it and trade me for my OCLV.

Old 08-04-05, 08:35 AM
Grasschopper
He drop me

Originally Posted by cydewaze
I see you ignored my suggestion to buy it and trade me for my OCLV.
Problem is that the Trek doesn't fit me and the frame is a 55 rather than a 56.
Old 08-04-05, 08:49 AM
steve_wmn

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I have only one reservation, based on the description from Competitive Cyclist:
One technical detail about sizing: For sizing the Leonardo properly you must go by top tube measurements. The top tube is slightly dropped due to the fact that you can't insert the seatpost past the juncture of the alloy seat cluster and the carbon seat tube. This frame is probably not an ideal choice for someone who wants their bars high, as the head tube has not been extended to compensate for the dropped top tube.
You may be looking at adjusting your seat height by using a hacksaw on your seatpost. If you can live with that, fine. But you're the guy that was just obsessing over the shape of his headset last week. I can just picture you fuming over this little inelegancy and then buying a Colnago C-50 in a year or so. This would be what, your 3rd or 4th road bike in the last 2-3 years?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.