Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

What is the furthest you've walked after a flat or mechanical break down ?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

What is the furthest you've walked after a flat or mechanical break down ?

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-24, 07:15 PM
downtube42

Bikes: Trek Domane SL6 Gen 3, Soma Fog Cutter, Focus Mares AL, Detroit Bikes Sparrow FG, Volae Team, Nimbus MUni

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 896 Post(s)
Liked 2,065 Times in 1,081 Posts
About seven miles, in 2" - 4" of snow. I'd ridden the MTB on a snowy mup, and flatted just after the turnaround. Between cold fingers and limited CO2 experience, I effed up the repair.

I was targeting my LBS, a mile closer than home. They were closed due to the snow.

I was tired of pushing the bike through snow, but no harm done.

Typically I'm far better prepared, but I'll take some risks when jra locally.
Old 03-30-24, 07:31 PM
LesterOfPuppets
cowboy, steel horse, etc

Bikes: everywhere

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12792 Post(s)
Liked 7,699 Times in 4,087 Posts
I did an 8 mile hike the other day after my second flat. Luckily I wasn't clipless, so I just stashed my mountainbike in a wash and started hoofing it to REI for a couple tubes. It was a perfect day for a walk and I had not time constraint so NBD. Well there was one time constraint - wanting to get back to the bike, tube installed and ride 7 miles back to the car before sunset...
Likes For LesterOfPuppets:
Old 03-30-24, 08:15 PM
EddyR

Bikes: 1992, Cannondale R900. 1991 Paramount pdg

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked 174 Times in 68 Posts
About 3 miles and had 4-5 more but gave up and called wife. She was there in 10 minutes
Ed
Likes For EddyR:
Old 03-30-24, 08:30 PM
sean.hwy

Bikes: Blur / Ibis Hakka MX / team machince alr2 / topstone 1

Quoted: 426 Post(s)
Liked 274 Times in 201 Posts
9.21 miles

https://www.strava.com/activities/3469445955

The sad part was I was afraid of getting a flat tire so I took my gravel bike with gravel tires to ride on the road. I figured those tires where much more durable than gp 5000 road tires. I had just started biking so I didn't have all the tools, spares, or even bike clothes. lol
Old 03-30-24, 08:44 PM
jaxgtr

Bikes: Trek Domane SLR 7 AXS, Trek CheckPoint SL7 AXS, Trek Emonda ALR AXS, Trek FX 5 Sport

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 769 Post(s)
Liked 1,750 Times in 1,018 Posts
About 2 miles in road shoes, then finished the remaining 3 in bare feet. My wife worked nights at the time and it was 11 pm, so it was my only choice. I got a pretty large sidewall cut on something, and I had nothing on me that would allow the tube to stay in, I now always carry a couple of dollars on me just in case.

Old 03-31-24, 05:17 AM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 4741 Post(s)
Liked 1,534 Times in 1,005 Posts
About 8 feet
Old 03-31-24, 08:10 AM
RChung
Perceptual Dullard

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 919 Post(s)
Liked 1,156 Times in 494 Posts
For my own mechanical, 10 or 12 minutes. Anything more than that, I've either fixed or the ambulance came. I did walk 2 miles once but not really for me. I happened on a couple hobbling down the trail headed back to their car. She'd broken her ankle. We put her on my bike and rolled her back to their car.
Likes For RChung:
Old 03-31-24, 08:35 AM
Brocephus
Professional amateur

Bikes: Does a Big Wheel count ?

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 302 Post(s)
Liked 136 Times in 92 Posts
As chance would have it, I broke a seat clamp bolt just yesterday, and did a mix of walking, and riding with no seat !! ( i was really happy I'd largely been using flat pedals and plain running shoes in recent years)
I finally stopped at a relatively secluded country crossroads where I knew I had a good probability of flagging down a pickup truck, which thankfully took all of 5 minutes!
Old 03-31-24, 08:47 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Quoted: 18432 Post(s)
Liked 15,587 Times in 7,341 Posts
Originally Posted by katsup
The most I have walked was only about half a mile, usually cause I was almost home and too lazy to repair vs just walking home.
+1. I remember walking home from happy hour maybe 5 years ago. I was about 0.9 miles from home. Preferred to change the tube in the comfort of my own house and use the floor pump rather than my Road Morph G.
Old 03-31-24, 08:52 AM
jimincalif

Bikes: '96 Trek 850, '08 Specialized Roubaix Comp, '18 Niner RLT RDO

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked 126 Times in 86 Posts
Like the BCI jersey, 10 Wheels !
Old 03-31-24, 09:14 AM
vespasianus

Bikes: Turner 5-Spot Burner converted; IBIS Ripley, Specialized Crave, Tommasini Sintesi, Cinelli Superstar, Tommasini X-Fire Gravel

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 406 Post(s)
Liked 389 Times in 219 Posts
In the 90's I lived in Oxford, England. I would ride my mountain bike down to a place called Watlington about 15 miles away. I got a flat and my spare tube also went flat. Had to walk back home. I now carry multiple, multiple spares of everything.
Likes For vespasianus:
Old 03-31-24, 09:17 AM
Champlaincycler

Bikes: 2018 Diverge Comp, 2016 Specialized SL4 Comp,

Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 56 Times in 42 Posts
We were camping in the Adirondacks with no cell service. Riding my gravel bike,first thru axle bike. all prepared for the flat but for the Allen wrench to remove wheel.
6 miles.
Likes For Champlaincycler:
Old 03-31-24, 11:14 AM
Dave Mayer

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1373 Post(s)
Liked 480 Times in 280 Posts
7 miles on a closed forestry access road in the middle of nowhere in the Rockies. Solo. No cell service. That year, there was no snow in December, it was above freezing, and the trails were tantalizingly dry. On a last huge singletrack descent I had 3 irreparable flats, and that was it for spares. So then: walkies.

Despite the ideal conditions, and the bears being in hibernation, it was an irresponsible ride idea never repeated.
Old 03-31-24, 06:11 PM
good4u

Bikes: Trek DS 2 and Cannondale Topstone

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 410 Times in 97 Posts
Seven mile walk of shame because I was entirely unprepared. Even if I had a replacement tube or patch I probably couldn't have got the tire off the wheel on the roadside. I wrestled with that tire for forty five minutes at home.
Likes For good4u:
Old 04-01-24, 06:21 AM
DorkDisk

Bikes: Ritchey Swiss Cross | Teesdale Kona Hot | Haro Extreme | Specialized Stumpjumper Comp | Cannondale F1000 | Shogun 1000 | Cannondale M500 | Norco Charger | Marin Muirwoods 29er | Shogun Kaze | Breezer Lightning

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 576 Post(s)
Liked 1,003 Times in 488 Posts
The longest would probably be when I blew through all my patches MTBing in the Santa Monica Mountains and walked back towards Marina del Rey down the mountain and along the coast; got patched up in Santa Monica pier, and rode home. There are much worse walks to do, this barely registered on the hardship scale.
Old 04-01-24, 08:02 AM
The Chemist

Bikes: Waltly Custom Ti // Seaboard CX01 // Dahon Boardwalk

Quoted: 123 Post(s)
Liked 528 Times in 246 Posts
About 3km from home, on my evening commute home from work. I actually had all the tools and parts I would have needed to fix the flat that made me walk home, but I figured it was dark and it would have taken me just as long to fix the flat and then ride home as it would to just walk directly, so I walked the bike home and fixed it later. I'm always well prepared when I ride long distances away from home, so I have never been stranded.
Likes For The Chemist:
Old 04-01-24, 12:48 PM
Rick_D

Bikes: Litespeed Firenze, Spot Acme, Specialzed S Works Pro Race, Davidson Stiletto, Colnago Superissimo

Quoted: 133 Post(s)
Liked 304 Times in 174 Posts
IDK but will assert 1 mile walking in road shoes with cleats is like 5 miles in any other footwear. And that's setting aside the mental image of grinding one's expen$ive cycling shoes into the pavement. Sometimes one can walk in socks but that rarely seems viable.

Worst breakdown, luckily a few blocks from my apartment, was snapping a crank arm. Whee!
Old 04-01-24, 08:33 PM
bijosepke

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
While biking around Seoul, a flat tire halted my 30-mile journey. I’m equipped with a portable pump, yet sometimes that’s not enough. When a new tire is necessary, I check Google Maps to decide which is closer—a bike shop or a subway station. On one occasion, I ended up walking five miles because the bike repair shop had closed, so I had to walk to the nearest subway station instead.
Old 04-01-24, 11:14 PM
slow rollin

Bikes: n+1

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 47 Times in 26 Posts
Around 10-9 years ago I was mountain biking with 2 friends. I remember walking.... 1-2 miles off the mtb trail and then another 3-4 miles on the road going home. I remember it being a mechanical since half way through the walk I was thinking "dammit I should have tried fixing X issue".
Don't tend to get a ton of road mechanicals. Instead I sometimes can't make it up the hill and have to cramp walk/ride a mile or two back.
Old 04-02-24, 07:33 AM
MNBikeCommuter

Bikes: Cannondale '92 T600 '95 H600 '01 RT1000

Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 109 Times in 82 Posts
I have been fortunate to get rides the few times I've been any distance from home. The farthest I've actually walked is just under a mile. I'd pumped up the winter hybrid's tires and took off. Not far down the road, BLAMMM, tick, tick, tick.... Part of the rear rim sidewall was hitting the rack. Six inches of that rim sidewall was nowhere to be seen...
Old 04-02-24, 08:56 AM
jzr756

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
+1. I remember walking home from happy hour maybe 5 years ago. I was about 0.9 miles from home. Preferred to change the tube in the comfort of my own house and use the floor pump rather than my Road Morph G.
"These days I seem to think a lotAbout the things that I forgot to do for you, and all the times I had the chance to."--J. Browne
Old 04-05-24, 01:06 PM
Smaug1
Commuter

Bikes: Main Bikes: 2023 Trek Domane AL3, 2022 Aventon Level.2 eBike, 1972 Schwinn Varsity, 2024 Priority Apollo 11

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 238 Post(s)
Liked 325 Times in 198 Posts
Originally Posted by Chuck M
If I recall 5 miles. I had a meeting close to a rails to trail and it was going to be an unseasonably warm November day. I put a bike on the rack and forgot my saddle pack and mini pump. But it was a vintage bike with toe straps and cages and I was wearing an old pair of Brooks that was retired from running so I didn't have to waddle in cleats.
↑ This is something that I don't recall being mentioned when folks are discussing clip-in vs. flat pedals, and 5 miles in cleats would feel like 15 in the old Brooks, right?
Old 04-05-24, 02:49 PM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2604 Post(s)
Liked 1,934 Times in 1,213 Posts
4 miles in MTB shoes (Sidi) felt like 6-7 miles, mostly because of the stiff soles that make them so good for riding.

OTOH, 1/4 mile in the middle of a long, steep climb feels just about right.
Old 04-05-24, 02:58 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 4957 Post(s)
Liked 8,104 Times in 3,835 Posts
About 3 miles of twisty - and sometimes technical - singletrack, mostly downhill, in the dark, plus another mile of pavement. This was somewhere around 1990, with my first MTB. I flatted, replaced the tube, but then dropped and lost the schrader-presta adapter I needed for my pump. Without it, I was out of luck. I think that's the only time I had to walk. More recently, I was unable to repair a slashed sidewall of a tubeless tire due to a stuck valve stem nut, and had to call Uber. Other than those issues, I've always been able to take care of bike issues in the field.
Old 04-05-24, 04:42 PM
Chuck M 
Happy With My Bikes

Bikes: Hi-Ten bike boomers, a Trek Domane and some projects

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 884 Post(s)
Liked 2,308 Times in 1,118 Posts
Originally Posted by Smaug1
↑ This is something that I don't recall being mentioned when folks are discussing clip-in vs. flat pedals, and 5 miles in cleats would feel like 15 in the old Brooks, right?
The what if I need to walk scenario is still not something I think I would consider. The bike that I ride clipless on and the bikes that I either uses cages and straps or nothing on are an apples and oranges thing. The fact that I had to walk was due to me being a bone head and leaving my seat bag with a tube, patches and my pump at home. I was just fortunate that it was on the bike it was. I also had my cell phone so if I thought I needed to call for a ride, I could have. Instead I enjoyed a walk instead of a ride.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.