Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Parts no one misses on New Bikes...

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Parts no one misses on New Bikes...

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-23, 03:53 PM
George Mann

Bikes: 2017 Raleigh RetroGlide iE

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 18 Posts
Originally Posted by maddog34
if someone brings an old raleigh three speed by with a bad bottom bracket,, i tell them, up front, that it's not worth fixing, and that the Crank is stuck to the spindle, so it may need to be CUT with a grinder to be removed.... some insist and persist, due to sentimental wants, then gripe about the repair bill.
I believe that all the true vintage 3 speed Raleighs are worth saving, especially those made in the '50's.

You will always have people griping about repair bills.
Old 08-12-23, 03:56 PM
George Mann

Bikes: 2017 Raleigh RetroGlide iE

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 18 Posts
Originally Posted by urbanknight
I don't miss handlebars and stems coming with a whole bunch of different clamp diameters only 0.2mm apart.
These things should be standardized.
Likes For George Mann:
Old 08-12-23, 04:16 PM
jlaw

Bikes: 2015 Spec. AWOL Elite,2022 Spec. Diverge, 1984 Trek 620 1985 Trek 620, 1979 Trek 710

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 394 Post(s)
Liked 194 Times in 110 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
Sissy Bars.

Stems with deep bolts and plastic caps.

Mario Cipollini.
Maybe those other things - but MARIO CIPPOLINI WILL NEVER GO AWAY!!!

Likes For jlaw:
Old 08-12-23, 04:20 PM
Trakhak

Quoted: 2506 Post(s)
Liked 2,985 Times in 1,692 Posts
Originally Posted by 79pmooney
I know that but wasn't far enough into my first cup of coffee. I was pretty sure I was wrong but wasn't going to bother to duck duck it. (And besides, I knew I would be corrected and all set right!)
I'm impressed with myself that I remembered the names correctly. Four bike crash concussions (since 1972) and counting! (Actually, probably five. Can't remember for sure.)
Likes For Trakhak:
Old 08-14-23, 07:43 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18448 Post(s)
Liked 15,682 Times in 7,372 Posts
Originally Posted by jlaw
Maybe those other things - but MARIO CIPPOLINI WILL NEVER GO AWAY!!!
Therein lies the problem.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 08-20-23, 11:07 AM
Rick_D

Bikes: Litespeed Firenze, Spot Acme, Specialzed S Works Pro Race, Davidson Stiletto, Colnago Superissimo

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 136 Post(s)
Liked 308 Times in 178 Posts
Originally Posted by rollagain
I learn something new nearly every day ... like this 'solution in search of a problem' that failed to find one.
Same. Guess we dodged a bullet given it did not catch on.

TBF Shimano has never been shy asking the question, "How can we take a simple thing and make it complicated?"
Old 08-20-23, 11:17 AM
Rick_D

Bikes: Litespeed Firenze, Spot Acme, Specialzed S Works Pro Race, Davidson Stiletto, Colnago Superissimo

Originally Posted by icemilkcoffee
How can you miss these things when none of them (save Accushift) have gone away yet?
Wasn't there a song called 'How can I miss you when you won't go away?'
The inimitable Dan Hicks. r.i.p.

Old 08-20-23, 11:26 AM
Rick_D

Originally Posted by PeteHski
Oh and just to repeat that not every single bike comes with tubes. Order a mid-range Giant and chances are it will arrive set up fully tubeless with sealant.
Am 50:50 on this, my Spot came with a tubeless install and the BMC has tubes, while being "tubeless ready" and I have not taken a tire off to see what that means.

I carry the plug kit, awaiting the day I have to pretend to know how to use one. One can't, you know, train ahead of time short of taking an icepick to a perfectly good tire.

And if I may add a personal ***** about the proliferation of wheel diameters and the many, many spare tube sizes one must keep in stock. Mercy.

Cheers,

Rick
Old 08-20-23, 01:48 PM
maddog34

Bikes: !982 Trek 930R Custom, Diamondback ascent with SERIOUS updates, Fuji Team Pro CF and a '09 Comencal Meta 5.5

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1299 Post(s)
Liked 741 Times in 536 Posts
Originally Posted by Rick_D
Am 50:50 on this, my Spot came with a tubeless install and the BMC has tubes, while being "tubeless ready" and I have not taken a tire off to see what that means.

I carry the plug kit, awaiting the day I have to pretend to know how to use one. One can't, you know, train ahead of time short of taking an icepick to a perfectly good tire.

And if I may add a personal ***** about the proliferation of wheel diameters and the many, many spare tube sizes one must keep in stock. Mercy.

Cheers,

Rick
no doubt... i have 7 bins of tubes in stock, and invariably someone asks for one i don't have.
I gave up trying to stock the entire Rainbow of tire styles and sizes....

wanna buy some 22" Schwinn road-tread tires? oh wait.. I FINALLY hauled them to the dump a while back.... Last time i checked, there were several sellers on Ebay that will mail you one for the Cost of postage. :-DDDDDDDDDDDD

To clarify.. i DID NOT Pay for the Stack of Approximately 25 i acquired... and the only time i THOUGHT i'd gotten rid of two of them, the guy brought them back since they didn't fit his kid's 24" wheels ...

Last edited by maddog34; 08-20-23 at 01:59 PM.
Old 08-21-23, 04:45 AM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 4460 Post(s)
Liked 4,927 Times in 3,048 Posts
Originally Posted by Rick_D

Rick
You could at least watch a few YouTube demo videos. Some plug kits are a bit harder to use than others. Dynaplug is the easiest I’ve used, with really no learning curve involved.
Likes For PeteHski: