Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Down to 2 bike - thru axle is the big difference- is it important???

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-16, 08:24 PM
kbobb1

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi all,
Narrowed my search to the Felt V85 and the Ridley X Trail Performance Bike special version - both aluminum, both 105 (Felt - full 105, PB Ridley, partial 105)

Main difference for me is the Ridley is thru axle and the Felt standard QR skewer. I ride mainly rail trails and dirt roads thru state forest areas. How important is the thru axle for these applications?

If the industry changes to thru axle for disc brakes as standard will this impact future sale of the Felt?

V85 - Felt Bicycles

Ridley X-Trail AL30 105 Gravel Bike - 2016 Performance Exclusive

thanks
Old 04-29-16, 10:17 PM
techsensei

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by kbobb1
Main difference for me is the Ridley is thru axle and the Felt standard QR skewer. I ride mainly rail trails and dirt roads thru state forest areas. How important is the thru axle for these applications?
I suppose if you don't learn how to use a QR properly a thru-axle might be a better choice.

If the industry changes to thru axle for disc brakes as standard will this impact future sale of the Felt?
So you haven't even bought a bike yet and yet you're already thinking of selling it? I've never bought a bike with resale in mind.

There are plenty of used bikes out there that have obsolete technology on them. Does it impact the resale value? Usually no.
Old 04-30-16, 05:18 AM
kbobb1

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Been using QR for 24 years - never had a wheel come off but also never had disc brakes - looking to draw from the experience of people who actually use disc brakes for real world applications. Does the thru axle/QR issue make a difference in real life or is it only a big deal for lawyers and bike blog writers?
Old 04-30-16, 05:28 AM
Paul Barnard
For The Fun of It

Bikes: Lynskey GR300, Lynskey Backroad, Litespeed T6, Lynskey MT29, Burley Duet

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 2136 Post(s)
Liked 1,649 Times in 830 Posts
Disc brakes existed and functioned exceptionally long before through axles hit the scene.
Old 04-30-16, 05:34 AM
cs1

Bikes: Specialized, Schwinn

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 225 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 22 Posts
I still hit the trails with my 1989 Rockhopper. 7 speeds, cantilever brakes and standard QR's never presented a problem. Tech is nice. But is it really necessary?
Old 04-30-16, 05:36 AM
Garfield Cat

Bikes: Cervelo Prodigy

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 478 Post(s)
Liked 87 Times in 67 Posts
Here's an interesting explanation. It addresses frame design and its use of thru axle

ThruThread dropouts
Most thru-axle frames are heavier than quick-release frames. Extra carbon for the dropouts, heavy hangers, and the axle itself. But they are stiffer, So what do you want most? The answer for most people is “both”, and so we introduce the first frames that combine a thru-axle with a lower weight. How?

The ThruThread design uses the same threads that hold the thru-axle to lock the derailleur hanger into the frame. Simple, light, effective.

We didn’t just redesign the dropout, the entire seatstay and chainstay design is optimized with the added stiffness of the thru-axle in mind. For the thru-axle itself, we recommend the stiffest design available, the Syntace X-12, but you are free to use a different 12mm thru-axle if you want.
Old 04-30-16, 09:59 AM
digibud

Bikes: Spec Roubaix, three Fisher Montare, two Pugs

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I think it's a huge difference and I would never buy another mtn bike without thru axles. The reason I like them is they lock the wheel in place MUCH more accurately and perfectly than the thin qr axle so you can expect your wheel to be in perfect alignment all the time. With a qr axle, properly tightned and all, I can stand on one pedal and shift my weight and often get a brake pad to touch. I like my brakes setup close and with disc brakes the thru axles allow more perfect alignment, repeatable each time the wheel is removed. It's simply superior. Higher end bikes have them for a reason. They aren't such a big deal with rim brakes but for disc brakes they are the bomb and like I said, I'll never buy another mt bike without them.
Old 04-30-16, 10:44 AM
Canker

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 330 Post(s)
Liked 209 Times in 133 Posts
and yet the bike I have the most issues with my rotors rubbing is the one with thru-axles front and rear. I put more blame on the avid/sram brakes than the thru-axles though . I don't remove my wheels constantly and even when I do I've never experience all the issues people claim they have getting the rotor back in the same spot with my QR mtn or cross bikes. That being said I'd still rather have thru-axles if both bikes are basically equal other wise for the extra stiffness.
Old 04-30-16, 12:23 PM
jforman

Bikes: 1988 Schwinn Prologue Frankin-Bike

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thru axles are some protection against wheel thievery when you just lock the frame to a post.
Old 04-30-16, 06:21 PM
JonathanGennick 

Bikes: Priority 600, Priority Continuum, Devinci Dexter

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 685 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 37 Posts
I ride mainly rail trails and dirt roads thru state forest areas. How important is the thru axle for these applications?
If you were buying a mountain bike, I'd say thru-axle with no hesitation. The QR is dead in the mountain-bike scene.

You're looking at gravel-grinders. The disadvantage of QR is less there than on a mountain bike. Personally, I would see the thru-axle as a BIG plus. The lack of it wouldn't be a deal breaker, but it would move the needle a long way toward the thru-axle bike. It would take an awful lot to swing that needle back toward a QR bike.

Thru-axles are the future. QR is dead in mountain-bikes, and it'll eventually die in the other disciplines. At least, I hope that it will.
Old 04-30-16, 06:42 PM
2 Piece

Bikes: Motobecane Century Pro Ti Disc

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have disc brakes (hydraulic) on 2 bicycles (road/touring/commuter) with QR with no issues.
Old 05-01-16, 07:51 AM
Gweedo1

Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
From what I've read and seen, I'm wondering if there is empirical evidence as well and anecdotal to support the "feeling" that TA's make the front wheel stiffer/better steering, or if that feeling is a placebo effect. IMO, if the wheel is locked in place between the forks, any flexing is about the forks or the wheel, not how the wheel is attached to it. Thicker axle means thicker hubs, thicker fork dropouts, mean thicker forks. Make a TA as slender as a QR, or a QR as thick as a TA, probably no difference. On MTB's with suspension, yes, one can bounce the bike on the forks to align the axle/forks, but on a road bike, if the axle holes aren't perfectly aligned, the wheel will always be misaligned, whereas with an open drop out, one has some wiggle room to align the wheel.

Last edited by Gweedo1; 05-01-16 at 07:55 AM.
Old 05-01-16, 08:58 AM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3130 Post(s)
Liked 2,111 Times in 1,374 Posts
Originally Posted by cs1
I still hit the trails with my 1989 Rockhopper. 7 speeds, cantilever brakes and standard QR's never presented a problem. Tech is nice. But is it really necessary?
Your bike is 27 years old. When you bought it did anyone try to tell you a bike from 1962 was good enough?
Genesis 49:16-17

Last edited by Darth Lefty; 05-01-16 at 09:12 AM.
Old 05-01-16, 09:19 AM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3130 Post(s)
Liked 2,111 Times in 1,374 Posts
The proliferation continues, too. This model year Marin has two Pine Mountain models... The lower one is rigid with QR's and 100/135 spacing, and the higher is Boost thru axles plus a suspension fork and dropper. At Sea Otter they introduced a middle model for 2017, with QR's on Boost spacing. It does not match the widespread pre existing tandem standard.
Genesis 49:16-17
Old 05-01-16, 09:52 AM
cs1

Bikes: Specialized, Schwinn

Quoted: 225 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 22 Posts
Originally Posted by Darth Lefty
Your bike is 27 years old. When you bought it did anyone try to tell you a bike from 1962 was good enough?
No bit Al Gore hadn't invented the Internet yet. So there wasn't a plethora of Internet know it alls to ask ridiculous questions either.
Old 05-04-16, 10:23 PM
KTMRider

Bikes: KTM Revelator

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have been riding bikes with QR for years, but just recently (two weeks ago) purchase a new KTM Revelator with disc brakes and thru axles. I must say that the thru axles are far superior to QR in both ease of use and strength. I will not miss the QR at all.
Old 05-05-16, 06:23 AM
Looigi

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 12 Posts
^^^ Through axles are more foolproof.
Old 05-05-16, 08:05 AM
kbobb1

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
OK - so what to do if the QR bike fits better and has better value/components for the same $? The felt is full 105 and the Ridley is partial 105 with some mixed components. I'm thinking for riding rail trail an dirt roads the QR should be fine but...I've never owned disc brakes before.

thanks
Old 05-05-16, 08:17 AM
2 Piece

Bikes: Motobecane Century Pro Ti Disc

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You will be OK either way. Get the one that feels the best and that you like. If the bicycle you like does not fit just right, there are some fairly cheap changes (stem and seat post) that can be made to give a better fit.
I prefer disc over rim brakes, but either will probably work just as well for you.
Old 05-05-16, 08:21 AM
corrado33

Bikes: 199? Landshark Roadshark, 198? Mondonico Diamond, 1987 Panasonic DX-5000, 1987 Bianchi Limited, Univega... Chrome..., 1989 Schwinn Woodlands, Motobecane USA Record, Raleigh Tokul 2

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1131 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
QR will never go away. Sure, it's older technology at this point for mountain biking, but it will never go away because of how prevalent it is.

I've had a QR bike with disks for a long time now. I have NEVER had a problem.
Old 05-05-16, 05:15 PM
ltxi

Quoted: 258 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
OK - so what to do if the QR bike fits better and has better value/components for the same $? The felt is full 105 and the Ridley is partial 105 with some mixed components. I'm thinking for riding rail trail an dirt roads the QR should be fine but...I've never owned disc brakes before.

thanks
Get the QR...
Old 05-05-16, 08:10 PM
rolandk

Bikes: 2017 Giant Quick-E, 2015 Trek Domane 4.0 Disc, 2014 Trek 7.2FX

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Using a thru axle on a trainer set for QR can be a pain, I've yet to find an adapter for my Domane.