Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Bike Travel Weekend, Bike Your Park Day

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-20, 10:26 AM
mev
bicycle tourist

Bikes: Trek 520, Lightfoot Ranger, Trek 4500

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 476 Post(s)
Liked 264 Times in 178 Posts

Adventure Cycling has an organized "Bike Travel Weekend" scheduled the last weekend of September (https://www.adventurecycling.org/members/news/bike-travel-weekend-and-bike-your-park-day-on-the-same-weekend/). The time was postponed from first weekend of June and now also combines with a "Bike Your Park" as well.

Anyone thinking of joining this year?

I have made my tentative plans. Booked an Amtrak ticket from Oklahoma City to Austin the first weekend of October. On Bike Travel Weekend, my plan would be to ride from Austin to nearby TX State Park campground (Inks Lake if I can get a reservation when they re-open). On Sunday keep heading north and over the following week, cycle northbound to reach Oklahoma City (OKC). Planning a mixture of basic camping (tube tent/sleeping bag/pad) or motels. Covid-19 is the wild card so I bought refundable tickets if I need to cancel. I can also cut things short to finish in Fort Worth instead of OKC.
Old 05-26-20, 11:51 AM
PedalingWalrus

Bikes: Corvid Sojourner, Surly Ice Cream Truck, Co-Motion Divide, Co-Motion Java Tandem, Salsa Warbird, Salsa Beargrease, Carver Tandem

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 534 Post(s)
Liked 435 Times in 227 Posts
ok. I did bite. i just created an event for Baxter State Park
Old 05-26-20, 03:03 PM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2604 Post(s)
Liked 1,933 Times in 1,213 Posts
There's a state park just up the ridge from my house. For several years I've done a route through there, then down to the county park at the river, and called it a bike your park ride. Easy way to win a bike (thought I've never done that, alas!)
Old 05-26-20, 03:48 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18415 Post(s)
Liked 15,548 Times in 7,330 Posts
Hoping to do a long weekend train/bike ride to a state park in NJ. Been there so many times one woman who works the office knows me by name. Last time I was there she saw my name on the reservation list and wondered where I had been. Nice people. The office is far from the camping areas, but they are always happy to deliver wood to my site.
Old 05-26-20, 09:14 PM
52telecaster
ambulatory senior

Bikes: Austro Daimler modified by Gugie! Raleigh Professional and lots of other bikes.

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Quoted: 1955 Post(s)
Liked 3,661 Times in 1,679 Posts
Riding to a state park next weekend for an overnighter.
Likes For 52telecaster: