Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Mountain Biking
Reload this Page >

2.3 to 2.5 Maxxis Minions

Notices
Mountain Biking Mountain biking is one of the fastest growing sports in the world. Check out this forum to discuss the latest tips, tricks, gear and equipment in the world of mountain biking.

Old 06-09-20, 05:47 PM
WannaGetGood
B*ck From Th* D**d

Bikes: 2015 Kona Process 153

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts

Has anyone gone up in tire size and found out it was a good choice? My tires will need replacement soon and my buddy has suggested I increase my tire size, at least my front.
Old 06-10-20, 08:42 AM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2749 Post(s)
Liked 2,516 Times in 1,422 Posts
Originally Posted by WannaGetGood
Has anyone gone up in tire size and found out it was a good choice? My tires will need replacement soon and my buddy has suggested I increase my tire size, at least my front.
Which minions? DHF? DHR? Front? Rear? What wheel size?

Some models size up small (my 2.5 is really a 2.3), other are true to size.
Old 06-10-20, 02:37 PM
WannaGetGood
B*ck From Th* D**d

Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Kapusta
Which minions? DHF? DHR? Front? Rear? What wheel size?

Some models size up small (my 2.5 is really a 2.3), other are true to size.
I run DHFs on both front and back and 27's. I think I am going to go bigger, at least in the front, I am just curious to see if others have jumped and have any advice to give.
Old 06-10-20, 03:09 PM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

I run DHFs on both front and back and 27's. I think I am going to go bigger, at least in the front, I am just curious to see if others have jumped and have any advice to give.
OK. I hear the 27.5s measure up fairly accurate.

I'm running a "supposedly" 2.5 DHF on the front of my 26" bike, but in reality it is a 2.3 (identical in size to the 2.3 Aggressor I run in the rear, and several other 2.3s I've run). I'm OK with the size, but I do wish it was just a tad bigger. Over the years I've always gone for 2.4-2.5 in the front. Then a few years back someone highly recommended the Butcher in 2.3. I was at first a bit dubious of the smaller size, but it ended up being the best tire I had ever run in the front. The DHF I have now is the same size, and I like it even more. Not sure if I like them in spite of their size or because of it.

In your shoes, I would probably try the 2.5 in the front, especially if you have the rim width for it. I find 2.3's as big as I ever really need in the rear. I never ran a DHF back there, I usually go for something a little faster.
Old 06-11-20, 02:59 PM
plipperpete

Bikes: Too many

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
I would go up in size or even try the new Assegai 2.5 if I were you. Just make sure that you aren't putting a 2.5 tire on a 21mm internal rim - too much squirm and you are better off with the 2.3. Ideally 27-30mm for the 2.5. Maxxis' new WT tires are definitely true to size.
Likes For plipperpete:
Old 06-11-20, 04:47 PM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

I would not think twice about running a 2.5 on a 21mm rim. A wider rim is definitely better, but if you want to try a wider tire, go for it. People were running 2.5s on 21mm rims (or narrower) for many years.
Old 06-12-20, 07:14 PM
qclabrat

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 257 Post(s)
Liked 70 Times in 63 Posts
What internal rim width are you running? Depending on your preference you may like rounded or squared off tire profiles.
Old 06-12-20, 08:04 PM
WannaGetGood
B*ck From Th* D**d

Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by qclabrat
What internal rim width are you running? Depending on your preference you may like rounded or squared off tire profiles.
I have Spank Oozy Trail 345 Rims, 30mm inners. I don't know if the profile will matter so much as how they perform. I would like to be able to blast through rough stuff a little faster, which I hope the tires can help a tad.
Likes For WannaGetGood:
Old 06-13-20, 08:59 AM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

I have Spank Oozy Trail 345 Rims, 30mm inners. I don't know if the profile will matter so much as how they perform. I would like to be able to blast through rough stuff a little faster, which I hope the tires can help a tad.
Yeah, with 30mm rims I would definitely want to try a 2.5.

As far as blasting through rough stuff faster? Maybe, or maybe not. Look at what Enduro and DH racers are running, and you see mostly 2.3 through 2.5. So some are finding 2.3 faster, some 2.5. There are a lot of factors going into what works best. You probably won't really know unless you try it.
Old 06-13-20, 05:04 PM
WannaGetGood
B*ck From Th* D**d

Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Kapusta
Yeah, with 30mm rims I would definitely want to try a 2.5.

As far as blasting through rough stuff faster? Maybe, or maybe not. Look at what Enduro and DH racers are running, and you see mostly 2.3 through 2.5. So some are finding 2.3 faster, some 2.5. There are a lot of factors going into what works best. You probably won't really know unless you try it.
Trying it is what I am going to do. I hope by a 2.5 in the front and 2.4 or 2.3 in the rear, I can have more control in the front. I run 2 DHFs now, so Im hoping by putting on a DHR in the rear, I lower my rolling resistance and hopefully coming out even with the set up I had before. But time will tell!
Old 06-15-20, 09:08 AM
Leebo

Bikes: Kona Dawg, Surly 1x1, Karate Monkey, Rockhopper, Crosscheck , Burley Runabout,

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 854 Post(s)
Liked 111 Times in 66 Posts
I run a 2.5 DHF front, and a 2.4 aggressor rear. Just as good as the DHR, imho. rolls better than the dhr. A little flatter profile knobs, only trade off is mud, which I tend not to ride in.