Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Ishiwata exo magny quadruple

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-20, 04:16 AM
NormanB

Bikes: single speed bridgestone bike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

Can anyone give some advise if its worth buying a classic bike with ISHIWATA EXO MAGNY QUADRUPLE BUTTED FRAME. There's this ITOI handmade lugged frame being sold to me and it has a decal PRIVATE 1101. Cant seem to find any reference on the bike, but it has a decent well preserved lugs and dropouts. seat tube is in VG condition. I wish i can post pics already .
Old 08-17-20, 05:55 AM
CyclingFool95 

Bikes: 1987 Pinarello Montello, 1996 Litespeed Classic, 1996 Colnago Master Light, 1997 Litespeed Ultimate, 2006 Opera Leonardo FP, 2006 Pinarello Paris FP, 1984 Pinarello Record, 89-ish Cornelo Profilo

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 148 Post(s)
Liked 119 Times in 73 Posts
If it helps put things in perspective, the low end Fuji racing bike I bought in the late '80s for around $400 (Shimano low end parts, SR steel handlebars, etc) frame was Ishiwata Quad butted
Old 08-17-20, 06:09 AM
T-Mar

Mentioned: 654 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4722 Post(s)
Liked 3,036 Times in 1,874 Posts
I'm wondering if ITOI is actually ITOH, the Japanese trading company aligned with Bridgestone? Regardless, EXO was a series of seamed, quad butted tubesets developed by Ishiwata in the mid 1980s. The Magny (carbon-manganese alloy) version was the lowest of these tubesets and had a claimed weight of 2.4 kg. It was typically found on upper, entry level models.
Old 08-17-20, 08:13 PM
NormanB

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by T-Mar
I'm wondering if ITOI is actually ITOH, the Japanese trading company aligned with Bridgestone? Regardless, EXO was a series of seamed, quad butted tubesets developed by Ishiwata in the mid 1980s. The Magny (carbon-manganese alloy) version was the lowest of these tubesets and had a claimed weight of 2.4 kg. It was typically found on upper, entry level models.
Could you say it is heavier than classic steel bike or near the chromoly frame weight? In terms of durability is the EXO magny comparable to its Exo chromo counterparts?
Old 08-17-20, 08:17 PM
NormanB

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
sorry cant upload images properly cause im still new but hope this works.
ibb.co/v1JRXSg
ibb.co/6Dgnspk
Ibb.co/z8JCRYn
Ibb.co/1nLDSw3
Old 08-18-20, 09:47 AM
T-Mar

Originally Posted by NormanB
Could you say it is heavier than classic steel bike or near the chromoly frame weight? In terms of durability is the EXO magny comparable to its Exo chromo counterparts?
Ishiwata had three EXO CrMO tubesets, weighing from a claimed 1.95 kg to 2.14 kg. Ishiwata never published the strength specs for their alloys but it's not unreasonable to expect they were similar to the offerings from other Japanese manufacturers, in which case, CrMo is only ~5% stronger after brazing. The extra weight Magny comes from slightly thicker tubes which, in most cases, more than compensates for the reduced strength, resulting in lower stress and greater durability. Of course, that is all theoretical, as the greatest impact on durability comes from the skill of the person doing the brazing.
Old 08-21-20, 07:03 PM
NormanB

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Ishiwata had three EXO CrMO tubesets, weighing from a claimed 1.95 kg to 2.14 kg. Ishiwata never published the strength specs for their alloys but it's not unreasonable to expect they were similar to the offerings from other Japanese manufacturers, in which case, CrMo is only ~5% stronger after brazing. The extra weight Magny comes from slightly thicker tubes which, in most cases, more than compensates for the reduced strength, resulting in lower stress and greater durability. Of course, that is all theoretical, as the greatest impact on durability comes from the skill of the person doing the brazing.
Ok nice! Ill try to build this one and see any significant weight difference. Thanks for all the help ! 😁
Old 08-22-20, 12:53 PM
steve sumner

Bikes: '68 Masi Special road, Grail bike

Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked 70 Times in 58 Posts
quadruple butting was a marketing term made up by Ishiwata. it just means that the ends of the tubes
are stepped twice. usually resulting in being more heavy. but it sounded good in ads: 4 butts has to be better than 2 right?
Likes For steve sumner:
Old 08-23-20, 03:14 AM
NormanB

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by steve sumner
quadruple butting was a marketing term made up by Ishiwata. it just means that the ends of the tubes
are stepped twice. usually resulting in being more heavy. but it sounded good in ads: 4 butts has to be better than 2 right?
Thanks for this, i also saw one thread on mangaloy frames here and its a ton of info. Thanks
Old 08-23-20, 03:20 AM
NormanB

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Hi Tmar, i saw one thread on mangaloy here and i see you have so much info to share on magny frames. Anyway, can i chrome Magny frames? Im planning to do custom paint on the ITOI bike i posted here and i would really like to do chrome details on the bike

Old 08-23-20, 10:42 AM
T-Mar

Originally Posted by NormanB
Hi Tmar, i saw one thread on mangaloy here and i see you have so much info to share on magny frames. Anyway, can i chrome Magny frames? Im planning to do custom paint on the ITOI bike i posted here and i would really like to do chrome details on the bike.
Yes, Magny can be chrome plated. It is just a different alloy of steel.

Generally, the bicycle has to be something special to warrant chroming in the USA. It's become very expensive, due to the hand labour (polishing) and environmental concerns. Hopefully, it's still reasonable in the Philippines.
Likes For T-Mar:
Old 08-23-20, 07:24 PM
NormanB

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Yes, Magny can be chrome plated. It is just a different alloy of steel.

Generally, the bicycle has to be something special to warrant chroming in the USA. It's become very expensive, due to the hand labour (polishing) and environmental concerns. Hopefully, it's still reasonable in the Philippines.
Yes its somehow reasonable here. Professional chroming for the whole bike and fork will cost you $35 from my supplier. Will keep you posted on the progress. Thanks a lot!
Old 08-24-20, 07:22 AM
T-Mar

Originally Posted by steve sumner
This is a common misconception. The two extra butts aren't actual butts but steady, progressive tapers in the centre section of the tube, that actually results in lighter tubes.

For instance, an Ishiwata 022 downtube uses 0.9mm butts at both ends with a 0.6mm centre section. EXO-M, which was the quadruple butted version of 022, had 0.9mm butts and the centre section started at 0.6mm adjacent to the butts but gradually tapered down to 0.5mm, resulting in a lighter tube than 022.

Here's a cross section for an Ishiwata quadruple butted down tube from an Ishiwata catalogue. For EXO-M, T1 & T4 = 0.9mm, T2 = 0,6mm and T3 =0.5mm. Since T1,T2 and T4 are the same as for an 022 down tube, which has no thinner T3, the EXO-M down tube is lighter than the comparable 022 down tube. An EXO-M tubeset was 60g lighter than 022.

​​Quadruple butting operated of the premise that stress is gradually dispersed along the length of the tube, the further you get from joints. Optimally, the centre section of the tube should be progressively thinned. The one flaw in this argument is that torsional stress actually increases at the centre of the tube. Torsion results in twisting and subsequent misalignment between the front and back ends of the frame. In excessive amounts, this can lead to handling issues.

It should noted that only the down tube had the double tapers. The seat and top tubes used a single progressive taper.

Last edited by T-Mar; 08-24-20 at 07:27 AM.
Likes For T-Mar: