Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Vintage Gitane frame ID

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Vintage Gitane frame ID

Old 10-17-20, 05:53 AM
Splendidtutiona

Bikes: '73 Raleigh Competition, Guru Sidero, Soma Groove, Smolenski,

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 9 Posts
Vintage Gitane frame ID

Anyone know what frame this is? Seller claims it’s a ‘70’s Gitane, but has no idea what it is. Not real familiar with Gitane, but this frame looks pretty. I’m guessing low-ish end based on the rear dropouts. But the fork crown is chromed and so are the ‘socks’ Should I ask for pictures of a specific area (under BB shell, dropout, etc) that might have numbers for identification? Thanks.

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace...8319061526751/

Joe
Old 10-17-20, 08:08 AM
gbi

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked 63 Times in 40 Posts
Looks like a mid-70s Gran Sport De Luxe model. You are right, it is an entry level frame.
gbi
Old 10-17-20, 03:15 PM
steve sumner

Bikes: '68 Masi Special road, Grail bike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked 70 Times in 58 Posts
Gitane had 2 models below the GS De Luxe. they were the Gran Sport and the Royal Asport the Royal Asport was so bottom of the line that Gitane
wouldn,t put their name on it. Our distributer, Gitane Pacific, didn't want bikes on the floor that didn't say Gitane so ,they gave us hundreds of Gran
Sport De Luxe decal set (wish I still had them!) We would cut those up to make our own sets So we would have these models: Sport, Gran Sport,
and Gran Sport De luxe as well as the Interclub, Tour de France, and Super Corsa. still a very small line of bikes!
Likes For steve sumner: