Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Is Rain Bad For Your Bike?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Is Rain Bad For Your Bike?

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-20, 04:49 PM
mr_bill

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2112 Post(s)
Liked 663 Times in 443 Posts
Rain and leaves are bad for you.
Rain and thermoplastic are bad for you.

Rain and your bike?

Wash it.

(If you don’t have access to outdoor water, a five liter hand pumped pressure bottle works great, plus you can fill it with warm water, which is nice.)

Clean the frame and wipe down the drivetrain and brakes and rims (if applicable) and let dry.

After it dries, use your favorite material for lubricating your drivetrain. (Lubricating material is the third rail of bike forums, don’t even....)

Don’t lubricate your brakes, except pivot points (if applicable).

-mr. bill
Likes For mr_bill:
Old 10-27-20, 04:54 PM
mcours2006

Bikes: ...a few.

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 2012 Post(s)
Liked 409 Times in 235 Posts
Rain is fine for your bike, but like others have noted, it's the grit from the road that can get on your drive train and wear it down. Ideally you should give the bike a hose-down after a wet ride, but I don't generally due to an issue of laziness. Slush and salt, on the other hand, is bad for your bike. But you might have guess that already. I try to hose down after a slushy ride.

Fenders are NOT over-rated. You can't prevent getting wet from the rain coming down, but the fenders will keep you from getting sprayed from the crap underneath. They will keep you feet dryer for longer when riding in the wet. Long front fenders will protect your bottom bracket from the road spray. My MK2's and 3's have an overlapping flange to protect the FD as well.

Best of all, fenders keep your backside dry. That alone is worth it!
Likes For mcours2006:
Old 10-27-20, 05:10 PM
Pratt

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 415 Post(s)
Liked 498 Times in 295 Posts
Perhaps you could gain some perspective by trying to wash chain lube off your hands with cold water, no soap.
Water left on steel, rust will ensue.
Salt and grit, definitely bad for bikes.
You did treat the inside of your steel frame tubes with some sort of rust preventative, didn't you?
Likes For Pratt:
Old 10-27-20, 07:48 PM
Nyah
QR-disc must die!!!

Bikes: '99 Trek 520, '20 Kona Sutra (FOR SALE 48cm), '21 Simon-Bikes mini-velo and a chromoly-framed folding bicycle with drop-bars and V-brakes, that rolls even while folded.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 397 Post(s)
Liked 199 Times in 147 Posts
I Use A Rain Cape, Which, When Used With Sufficient Fenders, Does A Lot To Keep Rain Off The Bicycle (As Well As Off The Rider) In The First Place. I Use A Rain Cape Without A Hood, As Hoods Aren't Compatible With Eyeshield-Mounted Mirror. But Also With Relevance, As Others Have Said, Wetness Isn't Too Bad For The Bicycle, Just Wipe It Down After You Get It Back Under Cover.
Likes For Nyah:
Old 10-27-20, 08:13 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Quoted: 2581 Post(s)
Liked 5,639 Times in 2,921 Posts
Commuted for in the rain years wearing a simple poncho draped over the drops to keep my legs dry, with full fenders front and rear. Would always keep the chain and gears clean and oiled with zero problems. No bikes were hurt riding in the rain.

Likes For rsbob:
Old 10-27-20, 08:30 PM
Flip Flop Rider

Bikes: 2010 Fuji Absolute 3.0 1994 Trek 850

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 762 Post(s)
Liked 555 Times in 322 Posts
fenders for sure make it more than tolerable
Likes For Flip Flop Rider:
Old 10-28-20, 06:05 AM
noimagination

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 365 Post(s)
Liked 419 Times in 248 Posts
Originally Posted by epnnf
I think fenders are overestimated. All they do is get your bike wetter than it otherwise would. And they don't stop it from raining.
Trying to wrap my head around this, and failing. How would fenders make your bike wetter? There is the same amount of rain coming down, regardless of whether or not you have fenders. There is the same amount of road spray kicked up by your tires, regardless of whether or not you have fenders. The road spay from your tires, instead of spraying on your down tube, bottom bracket, feet, back brake, back, etc. gets sprayed on the inside of the fender and drips down to the ground.

Trying to see how this makes your bike wetter ... still trying ... still trying ,.. still trying ... aaannnddd ... nada.
Likes For noimagination:
Old 10-28-20, 06:27 AM
commo_soulja

Bikes: are fun to ride

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 35 Times in 23 Posts
Rain? Ride and wash. Wipe down the chain and re-lube.

Also, full fenders rock. Sometimes I leave them on when it's dry so I can ride through water puddles without consequence.
Likes For commo_soulja:
Old 10-28-20, 06:44 AM
Hypno Toad
meh

Bikes: 23 Cutthroat, 21 CoMotion Java; 21 Bianchi Infinito; 15 Surly Pugsley; 11 Globe Daily; 09 Kona Dew Drop; 96 Mondonico

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1110 Post(s)
Liked 1,013 Times in 519 Posts
Originally Posted by mcours2006

Best of all, fenders keep your backside dry. That alone is worth it!
THIS ^^^ As a person that has bike commuted in year-round in Minneapolis, I've biked in cold rain and keeping that rear tire spray off your bum is a critical. I made the mistake taking without fender in the spring rain with temps just above freezing, the skin on my backside was dangerously cold because of the constant ice-cold spray.

To the OP, the only reason I don't ride a bike in the rain is that it's clean and I don't want to make it a mess. I have 6 bikes, 2 with full fenders, and these two are the first choice on a rainy ride (see above). Otherwise, all of my bike end up riding in the rain from time to time. I store all my bikes in the house, after a rainy ride, they go to the basement storage space to drip off; before the next ride add lube to the chain and off we go.

For reference, here's the conditions on a 100-mile gravel race I did back in 2018 ... we did have some dry times, but we also had heavier rain ... so heavy that traffic on a highway stopped! With some general maintenance and drivetrain cleaning, I turned around and used the same bike for The DAMn a two months later. So no real damage done riding in the rain.

Old 10-28-20, 11:17 AM
epnnf

Bikes: 2016 Masi strada vita due, 2019 Kona Dew Plus

Quoted: 268 Post(s)
Liked 80 Times in 55 Posts
Originally Posted by noimagination
Trying to wrap my head around this, and failing. How would fenders make your bike wetter? There is the same amount of rain coming down, regardless of whether or not you have fenders. There is the same amount of road spray kicked up by your tires, regardless of whether or not you have fenders. The road spay from your tires, instead of spraying on your down tube, bottom bracket, feet, back brake, back, etc. gets sprayed on the inside of the fender and drips down to the ground.

Trying to see how this makes your bike wetter ... still trying ... still trying ,.. still trying ... aaannnddd ... nada.
The rain water that would normally fly off the tires, now hits the fenders & onto the brakes, drivetrain, etc.
Old 10-28-20, 11:25 AM
epnnf

Originally Posted by wolfchild
Full fenders are the most important accessory I ever put on my bikes. It has nothing to do with protecting my bikes from rain, but it's about protecting my clothing and backpack from dirty road spray, especially salty road spray during winter time and muddy road spray when riding gravel.
Im glad it works for you, but I get wet, fenders or not.
Old 10-28-20, 12:32 PM
Hypno Toad
meh

Bikes: 23 Cutthroat, 21 CoMotion Java; 21 Bianchi Infinito; 15 Surly Pugsley; 11 Globe Daily; 09 Kona Dew Drop; 96 Mondonico

The rain water that would normally fly off the tires, now hits the fenders & onto the brakes, drivetrain, etc.
What kinda fenders have you used? I've never used fenders that directs runoff to the brakes and/or drivetrain.
Old 10-28-20, 12:40 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
Originally Posted by Hypno Toad
What kinda fenders have you used? I've never used fenders that directs runoff to the brakes and/or drivetrain.
I wonder if he's talking about Race Blades or some other half fenders. Those will keep the crap off you, but depending on how you set them up, they direct a lot of crap into the brakes.

Suboptimal.

Last edited by caloso; 10-28-20 at 03:16 PM.
Likes For caloso:
Old 10-28-20, 02:38 PM
epnnf

Originally Posted by Hypno Toad
I can't remember what fenders I"ve used; thought any fenders would splash down.
Old 10-28-20, 02:58 PM
Hypno Toad
meh

I can't remember what fenders I"ve used; thought any fenders would splash down.
In brief the water is going "down" either way.

Full-fenders, like on my commuter set up, end up with most water running off the leading or trailing ends of the fender, which in 3 of 4 places is directing the water at the ground and below the bikes key components.

Frankly stated, if your riding in the rain, you want some kind of fender to protect your back from the rear tires spray.

Last edited by Hypno Toad; 10-28-20 at 03:06 PM.
Likes For Hypno Toad:
Old 10-29-20, 06:01 AM
noimagination

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 365 Post(s)
Liked 419 Times in 248 Posts
Sorry, still trying to understand this. So, you have some sort of fenders that take the "water that would normally fly off the tires", that is normally sprayed onto downtube, drive train, brakes, etc. and somehow directs it to ... those same areas?

Fenders are, admittedly, not magic, and they don't keep your bike completely dry. But wetter? Not a chance.
Likes For noimagination: