Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Help in finding bike model - Peugeot ???

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Old 05-18-20, 05:03 PM
veselatakurabii

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts

Hi guys,

I need help in identifying the model of the bike from the pictures below. I really could have done a better job at taking the pictures and I keep kicking myself for that the past couple of days...

I was in such a hurry my brain was off, snapped quickly pics from strange angles thinking I can make out everything afterwards - no chance.

It was a really good looking old bike and I still wonder if I made a huge mistake by not buying it on the spot - asking price was 300 Euros.

The frame had Vitus stickers...I really hope some Peugeot expert out there can help me with model and year.

Many thanks!!!

Old 05-18-20, 05:26 PM
hankamania

Bikes: Peugeot PX10, Miyata 712, Surly LHT, Schwinn Peloton, Guerciotti Aelle, Schwinn SuperSport, Peugeot Orient Express, GT Avalanche, Motobecane Nemesis, Trek 330, no-name Chinese carbon bike, and a Soma Fog Cutter V2..

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 14 Posts
It's either a PSV10 or a PSN10. The PSV had tubulars and the PSN had clinchers, but were otherwise the same bike. This bike does not have the original wheels, so it's impossible to say which this was. It's from somewhere between 1985 and 1987. I'd guess 1985, because later ones had Campagnolo Victory or Shimano 105 in most markets.
Likes For hankamania:
Old 05-18-20, 05:48 PM
Chombi1 

Mentioned: 102 Post(s)
Quoted: 1629 Post(s)
Liked 814 Times in 527 Posts
Beware, as I don't think the blue paint at the head lugs and seat lug is original. It could be hiding some sort of repairs.
If it has Supervitus 980 tubing, it could be a a PSN with a few components changed out. I believe it originally should have a Campy Victory crankset if it is indeed a PSN.
The PX10 from that era had similar paint and graphics, but had Reynolds 531 "Professional" tubing.
Likes For Chombi1:
Old 05-18-20, 09:39 PM
hankamania

Bikes: Peugeot PX10, Miyata 712, Surly LHT, Schwinn Peloton, Guerciotti Aelle, Schwinn SuperSport, Peugeot Orient Express, GT Avalanche, Motobecane Nemesis, Trek 330, no-name Chinese carbon bike, and a Soma Fog Cutter V2..

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 14 Posts
Originally Posted by Chombi1
Beware, as I don't think the blue paint at the head lugs and seat lug is original. It could be hiding some sort of repairs.
If it has Supervitus 980 tubing, it could be a a PSN with a few components changed out. I believe it originally should have a Campy Victory crankset if it is indeed a PSN.
The PX10 from that era had similar paint and graphics, but had Reynolds 531 "Professional" tubing.
Some markets continued to spec Spidel components after the US and France got Victory/Triomphe. I know the UK did for sure.
Likes For hankamania:
Old 05-19-20, 01:09 AM
merziac

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Mentioned: 267 Post(s)
Quoted: 4493 Post(s)
Liked 6,298 Times in 3,633 Posts
That blue may not be original and a coverup but is brilliant from here in a very French/Peugeot sort of way imo.
Likes For merziac:
Old 05-19-20, 05:37 AM
T-Mar

Mentioned: 652 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4719 Post(s)
Liked 3,034 Times in 1,874 Posts
Agreed, the blue paint is almost certainly owner applied. As noted, it may be hiding damage. Too bad about the magic marker colouring of the brand name. It appears to have the grub screw to hold the seat post , so it should be a 1984 PSV10 variant.

It has lots of replacement components. Besides the previously noted wheels, the caliper are Shimano 1st generation 105 with later Shimano 600 Ultegra aero levers. The crankset also looks like it may be a replacement Shimano New 600EX. The headset is also a replacement, with two different stacks! The upper stack looks like it may be New 600EX, while the lower stack look like 600 Ultegra. The Shimano equipment obviously isn't OEM due to the mixed generations and the Simplex front derailleur with the proprietary frame mount.

I don't know market conditions for Europe, so I can't comment on the pricing but I'd proceed very cautiously on this one.
Likes For T-Mar:
Old 05-19-20, 10:18 AM
oneclick 

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 1104 Post(s)
Liked 1,311 Times in 775 Posts
new paint.

new wheels.

new headset.

Is the fork new?

I'm thinking head-on crash; buy something else unless you *like* finding problems.
Likes For oneclick:
Old 05-20-20, 12:25 AM
veselatakurabii

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Thank you so much for the insights guys! I would have never seen so many details

I am letting this one slip, the mix of components and new paint is really putting me off especially considering the high price.

This was a great learning experience though - I will keep looking for this model as it really is a beautiful bike!
Likes For veselatakurabii: