Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Is this rim toast?

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Is this rim toast?

Old 06-21-20, 03:54 PM
Bob Ross
your god hates me

Bikes: 2016 Richard Sachs, 2010 Carl Strong, 2006 Cannondale Synapse

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1242 Post(s)
Liked 1,271 Times in 702 Posts
Is this rim toast?

I don't typically give my dirt bike -- which I tend to treat as an archetypal "beater bike" -- the kind of attention my nice road bikes get, and so I was way overdue for an inspection when I started checking out my wheels yesterday. Hmm... are those cracks on the rims around the spoke nipples on my rear wheel?

^^^Those are four different nipples randomly selected around the wheel. Some nipples have those lines radiating out fore and aft, other don't. [Update...and this data point seems like it might be pretty telling: Those lines/cracks are on the drive-side spokes only...but they are on every drive-side spoke!]

fwiw it's a two year old WTB STP i19 wheel w/ disc brakes that came stock on my Cannondale CAADX. Has about 6,000 miles on it, mostly pavement, maybe 20% not-too-gnarly dirt/gravel.

So, um, is this rim toast? In case this is germane: The front wheel is fine, has none of these marks.

Uh-oh...I think I know the answer, having just noticed this nipple:

Old 06-21-20, 03:59 PM
CyclingFool95 

Bikes: 1987 Pinarello Montello, 1996 Litespeed Classic, 1996 Colnago Master Light, 1997 Litespeed Ultimate, 2006 Opera Leonardo FP, 2006 Pinarello Paris FP, 1984 Pinarello Record, 89-ish Cornelo Profilo

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 148 Post(s)
Liked 119 Times in 73 Posts
Toast, no - I don't think it would be good with butter. (sorry, bad dad joke)

But, it's ready for the trash.
Likes For CyclingFool95:
Old 06-21-20, 04:06 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3646 Post(s)
Liked 5,378 Times in 2,730 Posts
You didn't get much life out of that!
Old 06-21-20, 04:57 PM
onsay99

Bikes: 3 road steelys, 3 alu, 1 mtb, 1cx

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 15 Posts
If you are the original owner, check with your dealer. Lots of name brand bikes give
2 year warranties on wheels.
Likes For onsay99:
Old 06-21-20, 07:32 PM
alcjphil

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1813 Post(s)
Liked 1,692 Times in 973 Posts
That is abnormal. Those wheels were either poorly built or the rims are defective. You should have a stern talk with the dealer who sold you the bike
Old 06-21-20, 07:35 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4191 Post(s)
Liked 3,836 Times in 2,294 Posts
Rims are a disposable item, like tires but more costly. Andy
Old 06-21-20, 07:57 PM
sweeks

Bikes: Airborne "Carpe Diem", Motobecane "Mirage", Trek 6000, Strida 2, Dahon "Helios XL", Dahon "Mu XL", Tern "Verge S11i"

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 980 Post(s)
Liked 580 Times in 398 Posts
Originally Posted by CyclingFool95
But, it's ready for the trash.
Well, it would be better if you recycled it!
Old 06-21-20, 08:04 PM
sweeks

Bikes: Airborne "Carpe Diem", Motobecane "Mirage", Trek 6000, Strida 2, Dahon "Helios XL", Dahon "Mu XL", Tern "Verge S11i"

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 980 Post(s)
Liked 580 Times in 398 Posts
Originally Posted by Andrew R Stewart
Rims are a disposable item...
I like the term "consumable" a bit better.
Likes For sweeks:
Old 06-21-20, 09:51 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4323 Post(s)
Liked 3,945 Times in 2,638 Posts
Not toast or even regular bread but certainly not something I would ride on. I would reach out to WTB or Crackandfail and see what they say on warranty.
Old 06-22-20, 03:10 AM
cpach

Bikes: Too many. Giant Trance X 29, Surly Midnight Special get the most time.

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 532 Post(s)
Liked 312 Times in 236 Posts
Very dead. I checked and WTB warranty on alloy rims is 24 months from date of purchase. You may as well try contacting Cannondale and WTB but I wouldn't hold my breath. I'd put better odds on WTB.

This failure mode doesn't really have much to do with your riding. It's a bit of a combination of probably material quality of the rim and possibly overtensioning of the spokes.

Cheapest solution would be to have the wheel rebuilt with a rim of the same ERD. Best solution would be getting some nice handbuilt wheels on better rims with double butted spokes.
Likes For cpach:
Old 06-22-20, 08:37 AM
NoWhammies

Bikes: Argon 18 Gallium, BH G7, Rocky Mountain Instinct C70

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 512 Times in 306 Posts
Yeah, I'd be replacing that rim if I were you. As others have stated, check with your LBS in case there are any warranty issues.
Likes For NoWhammies:
Old 06-22-20, 09:11 PM
GamblerGORD53

Bikes: 2013 Custom SA5w / Rohloff Tourster

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1233 Post(s)
Liked 317 Times in 244 Posts
Looks like a poor design to me. That flat profile is bound to flex.
Now buy one that is pointed like my medium heavy duty Velocity Dyads. They have other narrower and lighter models.
Old 06-23-20, 07:26 PM
Bob Ross
your god hates me

Hey, so bravo/thank you to everyone who suggested these might still be under warranty:

Turns out the warranty doesn't expire for another week! Seriously!
I reached out to WTB and they were pretty quick to respond with "Yep, that's covered under warranty, where do you want the replacement rim shipped?"
Old 06-23-20, 08:00 PM
woodcraft

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1814 Post(s)
Liked 923 Times in 569 Posts
Originally Posted by Bob Ross
Hey, so bravo/thank you to everyone who suggested these might still be under warranty:

I reached out to WTB and they were pretty quick to respond with "Yep, that's covered under warranty, where do you want the replacement rim shipped?"

Likes For woodcraft:
Old 06-23-20, 08:16 PM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2739 Post(s)
Liked 3,381 Times in 2,046 Posts
Originally Posted by Bob Ross

Rim or wheel? If just a rim someone still has to lace it to the hub.
Likes For dedhed:
Old 06-23-20, 09:39 PM
Bob Ross
your god hates me

Originally Posted by dedhed
Rim or wheel? If just a rim someone still has to lace it to the hub.
Yeah, we're still hashing out the details. Rim only. Not clear whether yet they have to ship it to the shop where I originally bought the bike (that came with those wheels) in order to have the rebuild labor covered by the warranty. The dialog has begun.
Old 06-24-20, 06:09 PM
adipe

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 10 Posts
the cracking sees to be precipitated by corrosion.
it could be that you used crap sealant.

stress corrosion. one helps the other.

be sure to build wheels with low tension variance. be sure to lube the nipples and the rim and that the surface is kept with some sort of corrosion inhibitor. at least basic lubricating oil needs to be put once in a while on each spoke as to get to replenish where the surfaces are prone to corrosion AND cracking.
Old 06-24-20, 06:51 PM
Bob Ross
your god hates me

Originally Posted by adipe
it could be that you used crap sealant.
I don't use any sealant. Inner tubes ftw!
Likes For Bob Ross:
Old 06-24-20, 07:24 PM
adipe

the rim was labeled tubeless compatible and i thought you used sealant.

anyway, be sure to prevent stress corrosion cracking.
galvanic corrosion is from direct contact of the nipples with the rim having no eyelets.

if using rims without eyelets in the future be sure to use lubricant with corrosion preventing additives not only when building the wheel (which is very, very important as it is very vulnerable to very small cracks at the surface when you turn the nipples, which adds shearing stress on the rim where the nipples make contact while friction occurs and residual torsional stress remains unless you turn the nipples back to eliminate that residual torsional stress) but also later, to prevent the ambiental chemicals interacting with the rim where it is in highest tensional stress - that's highest at where the nipples stop being visible. you do not need to relubricate the rim surface unless you need to work on the nipples but you need to apply something that prevents corrosion. they sell some things in auto stores meant for cleaning cars that has anticorrosion additives in them. you could use such stuff when cleaning the rim and maybe end up spraying something when you finish cleaning the rim whenever you care to clean the rim. i avoid cleaning the rim, i just let the greasy filth on and make sure the rim was greased from the start to prevent corrosion from initiating. i don't need the rims to shine, i don't need the bike to attract attention, just have the protecting film on the rim even if black goo builds up on top of it.

and i have a strong distaste for non eyeleted rims because of all this.

give that rim to be recycled.

Last edited by adipe; 06-24-20 at 07:34 PM.
Old 06-24-20, 07:46 PM
adipe

when one spoke on the drive side gets loose because the rim cracked the tension variance will be messed up and the cracks will develop in other places as well...

it very well be that the wheel had high tension variance, not only too high average tension.
corrosion contributed to cracks developing in use.

avoid low spoke count. better use a 32h or even 36h rim with butted spokes, like 1.8 DS and 1.5mm NDS....than 2mm plain gauge spokes on a 24h rim.

i'll give you a tip when using say DT Rev spokes and seeking high tension (like ~110kgf) on a front wheel non-dished wheel... press laterally on the wheel to temporarily lower spoke tensiion whenever you tighten the nipple and then turn it back a little to take torsional stress out of the spoke and rim bed. and if you care to put labels on the spokes watch every spoke turn as to turn it back just as to end up with every label aligned to where they initially were put - parallel with the wheel axle that is, perpendicular to the wheel as if they would have highest drag if they were to remain on the wheels in use.
Old 06-24-20, 07:53 PM
adipe

when the wheel goes out of true and you seek to have it re-trued you might get the wheel with a higher spoke tension variance than it had from the start because that re-truing did not seek to bend the wheel back into shape (stress relieving etc) as to have the rim round if the spokes were taken off.

the goal is not to have a trued wheel at the cost of high spoke tension variance. because THAT IS the most probable cause of the rim cracking.
the goal is to have low spoke tension variance at the cost of the wheel not perfectly true. the goal is to balance the two at the end.
Old 06-24-20, 07:54 PM
adipe

one more thing... having low spoke tension to begin with is the main reason the wheel goes out of true. and eventually it ends up cracking.
because when you get the wheel to be "repaired" it usually gets to someone who is not better qualified to do the harder job. it ends up cracking because tension variance after the wheel gets "fixed" is a mess, the spoke tension is all over the place.

some people have tools but never learn how to use them.
and then most people of those very few that really know how to do the job... will not tell you because you do not even realize that you need to learn those things and eventually ask politely.

it's most often hype (BS) that sells.

spokes at 4:30 and 7:30 get increased tension when spoke at 6:00 has its load reduced to zero;
the lower the average tension the higher this additional tension and amplitude of the fluctuation which means more fatigue stress.
the lower the spoke count the higher the additional stress and amplitude because fewer spokes work when the rim gets stretched and therefore the higher the temporary spoke tension on those spokes at 4:30 and 7:30.
higher spoke tension IF at low enough spoke tension variance prevents not only the wheel getting out of true but also prevents high fluctuation in tension and the wheel can be expected to last much longer.

watch:

Last edited by adipe; 06-24-20 at 08:10 PM.
Old 06-24-20, 08:37 PM
adipe

here's how you inspect spoke tension variance: pluck all spokes for a flange; if you have more than a semitone variance between the minimum and the maximum tension then you have about 12% total spoke tension variance.

that's because spoke tension is a function of frequency at the power of two (squared)
semitone (n+1) has the frequency of semitone (n) times ~1,06. that would mean about 12% total spoke tension variance, if the minimum and the maximum would be as one semitone difference.
to be exact the number is 1,05998 (not exactly 1.06) but you can neglect the distant digits of 1.12356.. as well.

anyone should be able to compare two frequencies and detect if the difference is as if a semitone or a tone.

a good quality build should have +/- 5% spoke tension variance or so with a total radial/lateral runout of 0.1mm (+/-0.05mm)... OR higher runout (as a total radial/lateral runout of more than 0.1mm is certainly tolerable for most folks) for the benefit/goal of a more reliable wheel, with even less spoke tension variance. never the other way around.
a crappy build would make the wheel with low runout but at the cost of too much tension variance or overall higher runout and higher tension variance.

that's how you know if someone did a proper job when wheel building. just pluck the spokes and eyeball the runout. a sheet of most common printing paper (80gsm) is almost 0.1mm in thickness. radial runout is where it's at, more important in evaluating quality than lateral runout.

Last edited by adipe; 06-24-20 at 08:40 PM.
Old 06-24-20, 09:20 PM
Barry2 
LR÷P=HR

Bikes: 1981 Holdsworth Special, 1993 C-dale MT3000 & 1996 F700CAD3, 2018 Cervelo R3 & 2022 R5, JustGo Runt, Ridley Oval, Kickr Bike 8-)

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 862 Post(s)
Liked 1,194 Times in 687 Posts
here's how you inspect spoke tension variance: pluck all spokes for a flange; if you have more than a semitone
There’s an iPhone app for that !

No, really there is.

Barry
Old 06-25-20, 12:20 AM
GamblerGORD53

Bikes: 2013 Custom SA5w / Rohloff Tourster

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1233 Post(s)
Liked 317 Times in 244 Posts
the rim was labeled tubeless compatible and i thought you used sealant.

anyway, be sure to prevent stress corrosion cracking.
galvanic corrosion is from direct contact of the nipples with the rim having no eyelets.

if using rims without eyelets in the future be sure to use lubricant with corrosion preventing additives not only when building the wheel (which is very, very important as it is very vulnerable to very small cracks at the surface when you turn the nipples, which adds shearing stress on the rim where the nipples make contact while friction occurs and residual torsional stress remains unless you turn the nipples back to eliminate that residual torsional stress) but also later, to prevent the ambiental chemicals interacting with the rim where it is in highest tensional stress - that's highest at where the nipples stop being visible. you do not need to relubricate the rim surface unless you need to work on the nipples but you need to apply something that prevents corrosion. they sell some things in auto stores meant for cleaning cars that has anticorrosion additives in them. you could use such stuff when cleaning the rim and maybe end up spraying something when you finish cleaning the rim whenever you care to clean the rim. i avoid cleaning the rim, i just let the greasy filth on and make sure the rim was greased from the start to prevent corrosion from initiating. i don't need the rims to shine, i don't need the bike to attract attention, just have the protecting film on the rim even if black goo builds up on top of it.

and i have a strong distaste for non eyeleted rims because of all this.

give that rim to be recycled.
I have a strong aversion to eyeleted rims because of this. ^^^^
Eyelets are the biggest CAUSE of corrosion and cracking. Putting a stiff ring around a weaker and usually rounded profile rim is a laughable solution. Plus the hole needs to be BIGGER to accommodate the eyelet. LOL . I agree too loose is worse than too tight.
My SA XL-FDD has 24,000 miles and looks like new. Black anodised Dyad rim, 2.3/ 2.0 WH spokes and locking brass nipples. There is ZERO chance of this going out of true. NO prep goop anywhere on my wheels. I actually way over tightened it at first, then backed it off twice. The nipple should settle into the bare Alu. This bike is 120 lbs on tour, up to 300 with me. I clean my bike when it gets dirty.
Who the hell makes square rims?? LOL
=====
I drill bigger holes for Schraeder valves too, no cracks there either.

Last edited by GamblerGORD53; 06-25-20 at 09:25 AM.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.